New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trip to Whiteface

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

First time poster....long time lurker..

 

I'm taking a trip up to Whiteface in early February for 3 days. I was hoping to get some advice from others who have skied and stayed in Lake Placid. I've reserved my "Bobsled Experience" tickets to run the track at the Olympic facility, but am looking for more things to fill my time while I'm up there. Any suggestions for pub / grub ?

 

Thanks in advance !

post #2 of 15

Be sure to get fudge at the Adirondack Trading Company.

post #3 of 15

You can pick up some great deals on ski clothing and equipment and skis at Maui North. Its right on Main Street. Ive gotten my free skiing skis from there before at great prices when we came down from Ontario.

post #4 of 15

Stop in at the 1980 Ice Arena where the US hockey team beat the Soviets.

 

And if you have never seen a ski jump (not freestyle, but Nordic), make sure you see those, and take the tour to the top of the 120 jump tower.

 

post #5 of 15

Don't miss the Ubu Ale at the Lake Placid Brewing Company. One of my favorite beers ever, seriously. And good grub, too. It's right on the lake near downtown, and there's a parking lot next door, so easy access on that front. They've got other good brews, too, so if you have any growlers lying about the house be sure to take them...it's pretty cheap to fill one up there!

post #6 of 15

+1 on the Ubu.

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 

thanks for the tips...good deals on ski equip, fudge, local brew and seeing sites of past olympic glory ? i love it !

 

i assume with the super high winds on whiteface, there aren't any good powder spots...anyone know if this is true ?

post #8 of 15

Not much powder unless its snowing that day and it isnt a weekend or holiday. Just the edges of the trails. Some trees if they are open.

post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by keniski View Post

Not much powder unless its snowing that day and it isnt a weekend or holiday. Just the edges of the trails. Some trees if they are open.



I always thought this too.

However. Every mountain has its secrets.

 

23512_607573256299_13801277_35544173_8059929_n.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=35544173&l=4dc92e5cce&id=13801277

post #10 of 15


Nice! Is that the Slides, or over on Lookout?

post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 

Can you devulge your secret stash ?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reducedfatoreo View Post





Nice! Is that the Slides, or over on Lookout?

post #12 of 15

Wow! I haven't ever been lucky enough to be there with that much snow anywhere. The few days we get each year have always been cold, dry and windy with one exception when we got about 3-4 inches of fresh, with wind. I hear it is awesome there when the weather gods oblige!

post #13 of 15

Snow is actually looking pretty good in upstate NY at this point (hope I didn't just jinx us).  So long as there's no 35-40 degree weather with rain before you come, you should get decent conditions at Whiteface.  If it's too windy or icy at Whiteface, head down to Gore Mtn. in North Creek, NY.  I'm not sure what the rules are for switching a day pass between mountains (you should check), but my season pass works at both Gore and Whiteface.  Some of the glades at Gore should be opening this weekend, Woohoo!

 

STE

post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski the East View Post

Snow is actually looking pretty good in upstate NY at this point (hope I didn't just jinx us).  So long as there's no 35-40 degree weather with rain before you come, you should get decent conditions at Whiteface.  If it's too windy or icy at Whiteface, head down to Gore Mtn. in North Creek, NY.  I'm not sure what the rules are for switching a day pass between mountains (you should check), but my season pass works at both Gore and Whiteface.  Some of the glades at Gore should be opening this weekend, Woohoo!

 

STE

 

Looking at the 10 day forecast, it looks bitterly cold in L.P. I'll continue crossing my fingers for frigid temps :)  Thanks for the tip about Gore Mountain, we have heard similar advice and are leaving that as an option depending on the conditions of Whiteface. Thanks everyone !
 

post #15 of 15

Whiteface and powder is like a double bacon cheesburger and a diet soda. Hence the nickname - Iceface.

 

Incredible verticle for the east but weather is not always the best. I've skied in dense fog, freezing rain, and on steep icy runs. Toughest place I have ever skied. (Not because of the challenge of the runs in of themselves, but because of weather.)

 

 

Have a great time.

 

Johnny 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion