EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › knee brace for everyone, every ski day
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

knee brace for everyone, every ski day - Page 2

post #31 of 42

yabbut... that stuff takes time and effort! We're not into that around here. Instant gratification and pre-packaged ability/immortality is what we like!

 

 

Side note - could the "quote" function here be any more lame? It sure would be nice to comment on the quote instead of commenting before the quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaino View Post

I call bad idea jeans on self-prescribing braces. Your best injury prevention is being strong and moving well. 

post #32 of 42

I have been wearing an EVS Sports Protection brace on each knee for more than 10 years.  They are comfortable and prevent twisting and hyper extending.  I have had many falls since wearing them and fortunately, no knee problems at all.  You can even find them on EBAY.   They do much more for protection than an Ace bandage. 

 

http://www.evs-sports.com/product/knee-braces/ 

post #33 of 42


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post

yabbut... that stuff takes time and effort! We're not into that around here. Instant gratification and pre-packaged ability/immortality is what we like!

 

 

Side note - could the "quote" function here be any more lame? It sure would be nice to comment on the quote instead of commenting before the quote.

 


See what I did there?

 

 

And come on, this is epic ski, if you can't carve it must be your canting/boots/skis/tune/poles/socks.

post #34 of 42

warm knees are good, no?

 

BTW- I hope that was a STRYKER knee?

post #35 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

warm knees are good, no?

 

BTW- I hope that was a STRYKER knee?



Warm feels good, sure.

post #36 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfc2112 View Post

I have been wearing an EVS Sports Protection brace on each knee for more than 10 years.  They are comfortable and prevent twisting and hyper extending.  I have had many falls since wearing them and fortunately, no knee problems at all.  You can even find them on EBAY.   They do much more for protection than an Ace bandage. 

 

http://www.evs-sports.com/product/knee-braces/ 



snake-oil.jpg

post #37 of 42

yeash, according the same ortho who has done 4 of my surgeries including my knee, almost no brace (except certain ones, mostly customs made with prescriptions) are useless except for warming or minimal support.  I will 100% agree with that there is no substitute for conditioning, stretching and training to keep knees and other "parts" healthy and functional. this includes cutting some pounds which have a huge effect on the hips and knees. I think it's somethig like 1 pound of weight equates to 4 pounds on the knees.  I started going to a message therapist who deals with atheletes and she worked on my piriformus and ITB, Knee pain is almost non-existent after a couple treatments. When it starts hurting, I do a few stretches and it goes away.

post #38 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

I started going to a message therapist who deals with atheletes and she worked on my piriformus and ITB, Knee pain is almost non-existent after a couple treatments. When it starts hurting, I do a few stretches and it goes away.



No happy ending? th_dunno-1[1].gif

post #39 of 42



well yes, painfree knee........  worthless.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

I started going to a message therapist who deals with atheletes and she worked on my piriformus and ITB, Knee pain is almost non-existent after a couple treatments. When it starts hurting, I do a few stretches and it goes away.



No happy ending? th_dunno-1[1].gif

post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeee View Post

Every time I ski use cheap Ace brand knee braces, they are just elastic sleeves. What they do is support your quads, helping them burn less all day and protect your knee in a fall. I've taken 2 bad twisting falls in all my 36 years of skiing and both times I could feel the brace hold the knee together. Result, NO injury.

The cost starts around $12 a pair, very cheap insurance. I've never tried fancier, more expensive braces but would bet they offer more protection and support. Mine are so old they don't have the knee cap hole in them. They also keep your knees a little warmer. Try it!

One of the most absurd statements on epic ever.

 

Seriously, the idea that an ace bandage structually holds the knee together...

However,

The time after my last knee operation when I looked into the braces, there was mention of evidence that compression improves the reaction time of the muscles. Therefore there would be some benefit to your ace sleeve - perhaps. What the status of that theory is I don't know.

 

Hey, if it feels good, use it. Just don't think it's protecting your acl much.

btw, we've got a binding for you....



 

post #41 of 42

I think a better definition of the word Brace is in order. Some call the Ace "thingy" or neoprene sleeves braces.

 

Then there's the Ace bandage, neoprene sleeve with belts, and up from there are the ones with metal in them.

 

Then you can go get more metal for $120 or keep moving right up to the custom made ones.

 

Ace = No Brace

Neoprene = No Brace

Neoprene w/Metal = No Brace

Custom Made = Brace

Anything not mentioned = ????

post #42 of 42



Can that wait till summer when its slow?    BTW- they all laughed when Phil suggested pole calibration too!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeee View Post

Every time I ski use cheap Ace brand knee braces, they are just elastic sleeves. What they do is support your quads, helping them burn less all day and protect your knee in a fall. I've taken 2 bad twisting falls in all my 36 years of skiing and both times I could feel the brace hold the knee together. Result, NO injury.

The cost starts around $12 a pair, very cheap insurance. I've never tried fancier, more expensive braces but would bet they offer more protection and support. Mine are so old they don't have the knee cap hole in them. They also keep your knees a little warmer. Try it!

(2)One of the most absurd statements on epic ever.

 

Seriously, the idea that an ace bandage structually holds the knee together...

However,

The time after my last knee operation when I looked into the braces, there was mention of evidence that compression improves the reaction time of the muscles. Therefore there would be some benefit to your ace sleeve - perhaps. What the status of that theory is I don't know.

 

Hey, if it feels good, use it. Just don't think it's protecting your acl much.

(1) btw, we've got a binding for you....



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › knee brace for everyone, every ski day