I am trying to decide if I should buy new skis and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Right now I have a pair of Rossignol Bandit XLs (177cm) that I chose in college because I found them used for next to nothing (the guy at the ski shop said they were in really good shape and I got a great deal when I took them in to get the bindings fitted so being a poor college student I was thrilled at the time). Now that I am out of school and have a job I have the luxury to be a little more selective and I am wondering if they are the best fit for me.
Here's the info on me:
- 29 years old
- 165 lb
- I have been skiing for about ten years and used to go a few times a year, haven't been for the past 3 years (until today) but am picking it up again
- Intermediate skier - I like to speed down the easier blues, take a little more time and really cut the edge of my skis into the mountain on steeper blues, and stay away from blacks at all costs. I hate feeling like I'm out of control and regulate my speed accordingly.
- I ski mostly groomed trails that can get icy around here.
I ended up going skiing today with some friends on short notice. I didn't trust my skis as is after they have been sitting in the garage for 3 yrs and I didn't have time to take them to get tuned and sharpened. So today, I rented. I have always worried that my skis were too long for me so I asked for something a little shorter to compare, pointing to about my nose. He handed me a pair of 140cm. I was really skeptical about going that short but the rental guy assured me they would be fine.
In the end, I have no idea if the differences are from being away for 3 years or the ski length. Here is what I noticed:
- I was a little shakey for the morning, but eased into it by afternoon (I'm counting this one towards the 3 yrs off)
- My legs are not nearly as sore right now as I remember they should be
- My husband beat me down every run, and I used to keep up with him (he hasn't been out skiing for just as long as I have so he should be just as rusty as me!)
Also, I bought these around 2003-2004 I think? Has ski technology come a long way since then that it would be time to replace them anyway?