New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

iPod tunes for skiing????

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Looking for recommendations to enhance the skiing experience (if possible). I've mostly listened to Paul VanDyk while on the slippery, which is also my fav workout techno tunes "juice." At times PVD is...uh...a bit too up tempo on the slopes. Good in the weight room and on the elliptical; not so good on the mountain. I'm open to trying whatever toots someone else's horn. Many thanks in advance.

post #2 of 16

Alot of people like reggae.  I like to listen to some songs by Coldplay and Oasis, but usually if I'm looking to relax.  If I really want to get pumped up and hit it, I'll play AC/DC. 

post #3 of 16

I always use shuffle mode.

post #4 of 16

Led Zeppelin -- Rock n Roll

 

post #5 of 16

"On your right" by the skier overtaking you

 

such a great track to listen to...  oh wait, you can't hear it!  Thanks for plowing into me with a randomly selected turn because you were too busy jamming out and skiing to music to pay attention to what's going on around you. 

post #6 of 16

"Walk With Me in Hell"  -Lamb of God

 

Good song to take on the tough double blacks with biggrin.gif

post #7 of 16

 

 

Quote:
Thanks for plowing into me with a randomly selected turn because you were too busy jamming out and skiing to music to pay attention to what's going on around you. 

I can see your point if you're sharing the run with a lot of other skiers, conditions are sketchy, or for whatever reason you need to hear, but if you're skiing on a weekday in Montana, perhaps it's okay to listen to your tunes whilst enjoying a few runs.

 

When someone says "on your right" out here, it's about as necessary as signaling a turn when you're the only car on the road. Just glide by, I'm not going to fall down in astonishment. (And when you're driving through a herd of cattle, don't honk your horn. Just find the gaps and drive through slowly.)

post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Work View Post

"On your right" by the skier overtaking you

 

such a great track to listen to...  oh wait, you can't hear it!  Thanks for plowing into me with a randomly selected turn because you were too busy jamming out and skiing to music to pay attention to what's going on around you. 



Not to worry. I'm sure you didn't hear me say "on your right" from over here on the uncrowded side of the continent.

post #9 of 16

How about passing safely, instead of shouting at me? There should never be a need for verbal warnings while overtaking. Learn how to ski.

post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post

How about passing safely, instead of shouting at me? There should never be a need for verbal warnings while overtaking. Learn how to ski.


 

icon14.gif

 

Last week I passed an intermediate that was meandering along down a black with no real pattern of turning other than random survival mode.  She was skiing with a patrol.  I approached she was traversing left, then right turn to the fall line, then back left over and over.  I was certain that she would eventually have to go right and was coming up behind on her left giving her the entire groomed trail to the right.  I'm certain that a verbal warning would have startled her more as she looked pretty frightened already.  Her patrol friend was hanging back to make sure she made it.  When I finally had to commit to a pass or stop completely along the far left side of the trail I opted to ski off the groomed part of the trail passing her along the edge of the trees where I knew she wouldn't be able to ski.  I'm sure her patrol friend would have had words with me if anyone felt I made an unsafe pass.  But, I was able to keep my groove and still give the girl in over her head the entire groomed trail to work with, and not yell or click my poles at anyone.

post #11 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Do Work View Post

"On your right" by the skier overtaking you

 

such a great track to listen to...  oh wait, you can't hear it!  Thanks for plowing into me with a randomly selected turn because you were too busy jamming out and skiing to music to pay attention to what's going on around you. 

 

icon13.gif


Quote:

Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post

How about passing safely, instead of shouting at me? There should never be a need for verbal warnings while overtaking. Learn how to ski.


icon14.gif
 

 

My playlist starts with Aerosmith and ends with Z Z Top. Anything in between is mostly 70s rock of the same ilk. Particularly fond of Europe '72 for those fabulous days in the deep pow.

post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Work View Post

"On your right" by the skier overtaking you

 

such a great track to listen to...  oh wait, you can't hear it!  Thanks for plowing into me with a randomly selected turn because you were too busy jamming out and skiing to music to pay attention to what's going on around you. 



You do realize you can only listen to one headphone and still hear what's going on around you, right? And you also realize that blurting out "on your right" just before "overtaking" (i.e. smashing into someone) is your fault and not his, right? Just because you don't listen to music doesn't mean that you hear some dope yelling at you right before cutting you off. Hopefully you were being facetious. Otherwise, you're just a jong.

 

Anyway, like someone else said, I love reggae for the slopes, especially if it's a powder day. Something about it just seems to up the flow. I usually find really fast rock or electronic music is irritating and distracting (unless maybe it's a full-speed groomer day), but the tempo of reggae is just right.

post #13 of 16

First off - great idea for a thread! I've been waiting for ages for somebody to take on this important yet rarely discusssed topic.

 

 

 

Second - my suggestions. There are only two choices for skitunes IMO:

 

Icelandic Cello Chick:

 

.or Dave and Mick's fun little combo:

 

I heard Dave killed and ate the guy from Lamb of God.

post #14 of 16

Some specific songs I really like are as follows (the first two I discovered through TGR's "Under the Influence")

 

Freddy Cruger - "Over The Ocean"

 

Cowboy Junkies - "Mountain"

 

Stick Figure - "Bring Down"  (discovered on a Jackson Hole Mountain Resort daily video)

 

Sizzla - "Give Me A Try"  (found on some dude's YouTube POV)

 

Coldplay - "Strawberry Swing"

 

Oasis - "Slide Away"

 

Pink Floyd - "Comfortably Numb," and "Time"

post #15 of 16

the Snoballskrieg album by Sportlov, any early Slayer or their new record, Rotting Corpse, Burzum, Celtic Frost, anything bone chilling and dark, like these new england winters.

 

...And of course, the mighty Master Magician.

post #16 of 16

ANYTHING from the Black Keys

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion