or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Ski Instruction & Coaching › Reconciling Foot Squirt™ with Foragonal movements
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Reconciling Foot Squirt™ with Foragonal movements - Page 3

post #61 of 65

There was a really good picture sequence of what Tomba was doing in a ski magazine years ago.

 

Basically as he entered into a turn his feet were back and as he came through the turn to just before the transition he kicked his feet forward, At the start of the transition and during the transition it was a reload (bring the feet back) and repeat.

 

It took me a little while to get this on both my GS and SL skis, but I found once mastered, this was a great way to accelerate and pull away from friends while skiing :D.

 

Downside was if you messed up on the timing at all everything got messed up at the same time.

 

If memory serves correctly this was published towards the end of his skiing career.

 

On onto shaped skis, I find that the motion on the shaped already replicates this technique just not to the extreme that was required on the straights.  I believe this has more to do about the edge angles that we can achieve on the shaped skis vs what was possible on the straights.  Pushing the limits as we did on straights onto the shaped will likely increase the chance of injury (ACL) as the body position along with the edge angles and the fact that the feet are ahead of the COM/COF set one up for potential phantom foot.

 

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I know how to do it, I just don't see the need on shaped skis if they are skied as intended (at least on groomed/hardpack/ice)

 

I would honestly love to hear what you have to comment on this Bob Barnes as you likely have both more experience on both the straights and shaped then I can ever achieve.

 

Cheers.

post #62 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolskier View Post
 

There was a really good picture sequence of what Tomba was doing in a ski magazine years ago.

 

Basically as he entered into a turn his feet were back and as he came through the turn to just before the transition he kicked his feet forward, At the start of the transition and during the transition it was a reload (bring the feet back) and repeat.

 

It took me a little while to get this on both my GS and SL skis, but I found once mastered, this was a great way to accelerate and pull away from friends while skiing :D.

 

Downside was if you messed up on the timing at all everything got messed up at the same time.

 

If memory serves correctly this was published towards the end of his skiing career.

 

On onto shaped skis, I find that the motion on the shaped already replicates this technique just not to the extreme that was required on the straights.  I believe this has more to do about the edge angles that we can achieve on the shaped skis vs what was possible on the straights.  Pushing the limits as we did on straights onto the shaped will likely increase the chance of injury (ACL) as the body position along with the edge angles and the fact that the feet are ahead of the COM/COF set one up for potential phantom foot.

 

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I know how to do it, I just don't see the need on shaped skis if they are skied as intended (at least on groomed/hardpack/ice)

 

I would honestly love to hear what you have to comment on this Bob Barnes as you likely have both more experience on both the straights and shaped then I can ever achieve.

 

Cheers.

 

If I understand that right that is opposite of what's being said here. You're saying he's behind his feet during the turn till just before transition? "He pushes them forward". 

I looked at a couple quick vids and didn't see that. Maybe you could find one?

Also, what and when are we talking? Sl or gs and early - late 80's or mid to late 90's?

 

As far as phantom foot. Well if you push it like Ligety or Bode did once upon a time, sure. Otherwise, you are not necessarily loading up the tails. You can, and sometimes do, but not necessarily. The time where you're ''back" is mostly in transition and there are little forces on the skis.

I'm amazed Ligety doesn't harm his acl when he does his circles off the tails of his slalom skis in the finish area.

post #63 of 65

I'll try again,  pushed his feet forward as he entered into the turn completing the push forward at the end of the turn (just before the transition to the next turn).

 

Wish I still had the old mag, to post the sequence.

 

BTW I've managed a 270 turn like that and you're not as far back on the tails as you think.

post #64 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolskier View Post
 

I'll try again,  pushed his feet forward as he entered into the turn completing the push forward at the end of the turn (just before the transition to the next turn).

 

Wish I still had the old mag, to post the sequence.

 

BTW I've managed a 270 turn like that and you're not as far back on the tails as you think.

 

 

eh you missed this entire thread. the movement you are describing is not what anyone in this thread is talking about. 

post #65 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post
 

 

 

eh you missed this entire thread. the movement you are describing is not what anyone in this thread is talking about.

Not so sure,:dunno but ok.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Ski Instruction & Coaching › Reconciling Foot Squirt™ with Foragonal movements