or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Terrifying Ski Experience - Page 2

post #31 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post


Women and children are running from murderous militants in the Congo and Ivory Coast.  Mugabe's police in Zimbabwe are terrorizing all those opposed to his regime.  People are getting hacked to pieces with machetes in the Sudan.  Somali citizens can't leave their homes for fear of being shot by warlords and thugs.  But you were terrified at an indoor ski area.  You yuppies crack me up.  Can you say "out of touch"?



Perhaps you failed to read the title of the thread. For those that missed it, it's called "Terrifying Ski Experience." It's a discussion about experiences on a mountain or ski hill.

 

We're not talking about general life experiences, so feel free to take your self-righteous attitude to another thread, mm kay.


Edited by CerebralVortex - 1/4/11 at 3:47am
post #32 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralVortex View Post

 

If you want to scare an extreme skier, stick him on a crowded indoor slope full of out-of-control people and watch him p*ss his pants.



This is signature worthy smile.gif

post #33 of 61

There is a basic flaw with this approach. For instance, soccer goalies wear bright colors because they attract. Think insects to a brightly colored flower or a light. Wear plenty of bubble wrap underneath......it's statistically just a matter of time. wink.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Work View PostThis year I went with a neon color scheme...  If those stupid gapers see ONE PERSON on that trail, it will be me.     
post #34 of 61

We were wondering what was going on when we saw this guy hysterically screaming like a piglet and running in the wrong direction with his arms flailing in the air with a bath towel on his head. The Maoists we had been chatting with while being extorted, suddenly dropped to the ground holding their guts while laughing uncontrollable. It was quite a sight. It reminded me of the the 'help' signal in 'Team America'. ROTF.gif

 

 

We simply paid the $80 extortion fee and casually enjoyed the rest of the trek near Tibet. No hot shower, however. Had I known that's how one could get a hot shower, I might have considered your approach.

 

Edit:

Here's a new profile picture for you Chaos:

 

50516_94991358661_7622_n.jpg
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post

Terrifying?  What do you people know of terrifying.  Try being chased by 50 Maoists through northern Nepal with nothing but a shiv made of p-tex and a shield constructed from bark to protect you.  I ran for 120 miles to the border of Tibet while being shot as with AK 47's. Thankfully when I reached Nepal I met some monks who had heard of me; the great golden phoenix god-man who conquered the peaks of the sky.  They invited me to their high alpine monastery where I took a hot shower and ate some sushi.  And still, after all that..I wasn't terrified. 


Edited by Alpinord - 1/4/11 at 8:41am
post #35 of 61


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralVortex View Post


Perhaps you failed to read the title of the thread. For those that missed it, it's called "Terrifying Ski Experience." It's a discussion about experiences on a mountain or ski hill.

 

We're not talking about general life experiences, so feel free to take your self-righteous attitude to another thread, mm kay.


...says the world's one and only "extreme skier" from England.

post #36 of 61

^^^That's all nothing compared to working retail on Black Friday or Christmas Eve..

post #37 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post

Terrifying?  What do you people know of terrifying.  Try being chased by 50 Maoists through northern Nepal with nothing but a shiv made of p-tex and a shield constructed from bark to protect you.  I ran for 120 miles to the border of Tibet while being shot as with AK 47's. Thankfully when I reached Nepal I met some monks who had heard of me; the great golden phoenix god-man who conquered the peaks of the sky.  They invited me to their high alpine monastery where I took a hot shower and ate some sushi.  And still, after all that..I wasn't terrified. 


It was possibly the terrific stench of bullshit that made those Maoists think a public service was in order (or should I say ordure?).
 

post #38 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post


...says the world's one and only "extreme skier" from England.



Says the ski god who only rides with supermodels.


Edited by CerebralVortex - 1/4/11 at 9:38am
post #39 of 61

I also have had some terrifying moments.  The only scary moments I can call "terrifying" are as follows (only the second one involves other/reckless skiers):

 

Age 12, at JHMR fell in Bernie's Bowl on some spring crud sliding head first toward a field of boulders (a solid 10 seconds).  I thought that was the end, but luckily I stopped well short of them.

 

2008, at Tremblant, on one of the South-side blacks by the quad, I stopped midway on the trail to rest my legs, and then some dude went flying by me (literally off the ground and sideways like he'd made a last effort not to hit me) at about 50 mph.  If this kid had hit me I probably would have broken my back, ribs, and or gotten a collapsed lung.  When I returned home, I immediately ordered a Demon trunk protector, and always now wear this when I'm going to big areas.

 

2009 at Iceface: skied from the gondola on the flat connecting trail to Wilderness trail (which is relatively steep), only to discover it was a solid sheet of ice (honestly you could have skated on it)... it was quite scary getting down that.

post #40 of 61

So, I stopped by the Prada store yesterday to pick up my new ski jacket and come to find out it's not arriving until Friday!  Thing is...I have a group of friends flying in Thursday from Manhattan that want to ski on Friday.  What if my jacket isn't here by then?  WTF am I gonna do?  All my friends will be wearing the newest Gucci and Bogner ski outfits. I'm terrified.  Oh, why does life have to be so hard...and terrifying?

 

Any advice would be great.

post #41 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post

So, I stopped by the Prada store yesterday to pick up my new ski jacket and come to find out it's not arriving until Friday!  Thing is...I have a group of friends flying in Thursday from Manhattan that want to ski on Friday.  What if my jacket isn't here by then?  WTF am I gonna do?  All my friends will be wearing the newest Gucci and Bogner ski outfits. I'm terrified.  Oh, why does life have to be so hard...and terrifying?

 

Any advice would be great.


I had no idea Gucci made ski jackets but then I guess you would know. You certainly do seem to have a problem..........
 

post #42 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post

Terrifying?  What do you people know of terrifying.  Try being chased by 50 Maoists through northern Nepal with nothing but a shiv made of p-tex and a shield constructed from bark to protect you.  I ran for 120 miles to the border of Tibet while being shot as with AK 47's. Thankfully when I reached Nepal I met some monks who had heard of me; the great golden phoenix god-man who conquered the peaks of the sky.  They invited me to their high alpine monastery where I took a hot shower and ate some sushi.  And still, after all that..I wasn't terrified. 



Wake up from your dream, dude.

post #43 of 61

 

I'm just envious of the OP and other posters that have the luxury to avoid the "one" crowded run on their local 2500+ foot mountain.  I've got to drive >1.5 hours to wait in 20 minute lift lines on 700 foot hills, just to ski through the kinds of crowds the OP described.  Is it worth it?  Not really, unless it's all you have...

 

My annual trip(s) west can't come soon enough!

post #44 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post

So, I stopped by the Prada store yesterday to pick up my new ski jacket and come to find out it's not arriving until Friday!  Thing is...I have a group of friends flying in Thursday from Manhattan that want to ski on Friday.  What if my jacket isn't here by then?  WTF am I gonna do?  All my friends will be wearing the newest Gucci and Bogner ski outfits. I'm terrified.  Oh, why does life have to be so hard...and terrifying?

 

Any advice would be great.


Just wear last weeks jacket again and hope nobody sees you that saw you last week. Or maybe get a new hat to draw the attention away from last weeks jacket, most wouldnt notice


 

post #45 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post

Women and children are running from murderous militants in the Congo and Ivory Coast.  Mugabe's police in Zimbabwe are terrorizing all those opposed to his regime.  People are getting hacked to pieces with machetes in the Sudan.  Somali citizens can't leave their homes for fear of being shot by warlords and thugs.  But you were terrified at an indoor ski area.  You yuppies crack me up.  Can you say "out of touch"?


Non sequitur much?

 

post #46 of 61

your mom's a non sequitur.

post #47 of 61

About ten years back I was gonna ski an untracked Tuscarine Bowl (just east of the Alta boundary) solo. I traversed out just below the rocks and when I got right to the middle a big chunk of the slope released under my downhill ski and took off at about a billion miles an hour* to the bottom of the bowl. After I stopped shaking and feeling like I was gonna puke, I very carefully skied down the slide path and called it a day.

 

 

*No kidding. Anybody who's ever actually seen a slab release up close can testify to the unreal speed at which things happen.

post #48 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post

About ten years back I was gonna ski an untracked Tuscarine Bowl (just east of the Alta boundary) solo. I traversed out just below the rocks and when I got right to the middle a big chunk of the slope released under my downhill ski and took off at about a billion miles an hour* to the bottom of the bowl. After I stopped shaking and feeling like I was gonna puke, I very carefully skied down the slide path and called it a day.

 

 

*No kidding. Anybody who's ever actually seen a slab release up close can testify to the unreal speed at which things happen.


Is that when you started pooping  in the "back country" instead of holding it for the lodge like normal people?

post #49 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crab View Post

Corkscrew at Alta= unguided missle funnel, otherwise known as "Alta bowling"


That's funny you say that,

 

 

Me and a few friends were doin a few goon/goof off runs. We left our poles at the top of Collins and pretty much straightlined the whole groomer down all the way into corkscrew. While we were doing this, we had our legs spread 3 feet apart (like children on green runs) and flapping our hands around like we were terrified and out of control. We got a lot of stares and looks from various people the we had passed on our way down to the bottom.

 

 We weren't litterally out of control, (We were able to avoid people and stop if necassary).
 

post #50 of 61

I love this thread.popcorn.gif

post #51 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by oisin View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post

So, I stopped by the Prada store yesterday to pick up my new ski jacket and come to find out it's not arriving until Friday!  Thing is...I have a group of friends flying in Thursday from Manhattan that want to ski on Friday.  What if my jacket isn't here by then?  WTF am I gonna do?  All my friends will be wearing the newest Gucci and Bogner ski outfits. I'm terrified.  Oh, why does life have to be so hard...and terrifying?

 

Any advice would be great.


I had no idea Gucci made ski jackets but then I guess you would know. You certainly do seem to have a problem..........
 

 

 

rolleyes.gif  Does anyone want to talk about Blue Mountain again?

 

I used to live in Barrie and get off work at 3.  That left plenty of time to get use out of my $79 night season pass.  I remember heading up Hwy 26 during those Georgian Bay lake effect puke fests, and not being able to see the tail lights of the car 30 feet in front of me for kilometers at a time.  Those were the best days!

 

As they never opened the L-Hill chair on weeknights, you could lap the village chair, "traverse" out to L-Hill for some rare East coast fresh tracks.  When they opened up the glades from the very top of the 720ft vertical just to the west of the village six-pack, I remember the freshies in there- especially when you poach the bottom 2/3 (which are "closed" at nights).

 

It's hard to believe it's the same resort come Friday night to Sunday when the hordes from Toronto arrive.  Between the Appalachians and the Rockies, it's got to be top 3 when you're talking weekdays... maybe tops... though I've become pretty fond of Bristol Mt in the past few years that I've moved further south.  If anything, it would have to take the cake in North America for the biggest ratio of weekend to weekday crowds.

 

 

 

 


 

post #52 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post

About ten years back I was gonna ski an untracked Tuscarine Bowl (just east of the Alta boundary) solo. I traversed out just below the rocks and when I got right to the middle a big chunk of the slope released under my downhill ski and took off at about a billion miles an hour* to the bottom of the bowl. After I stopped shaking and feeling like I was gonna puke, I very carefully skied down the slide path and called it a day.

 

 

*No kidding. Anybody who's ever actually seen a slab release up close can testify to the unreal speed at which things happen.


Years ago I watched a slope at Alta let go (in the woods and very much in bounds of all places) I straddled a tree and retracted my legs as the slabs broke up all around me  leaving me wrapped around the tree several feet above the remaining snow surface. I suppose I never felt that I was in much danger personally but it did leave this easterner with a new respect for the power and danger of avalanches.
 

post #53 of 61

Well Joeschmoe.

When I first move to Collingwood Big baby and O hill was all the night skiing that existed, a pass was 49 bucks..... not a night was a seasons night pass.

I Lived on Osler bluff road and was maybe 4 minutes by car to the hill. A buddie of mine just sold Skies Please a couple years back, we had a pack of us that use to hang out and ya was super place to live at the time.

Most of the people we skied with at the time are still in the area and have 5x7 passes. Most of their skiing is done early in the morning now for 2 or 3 hrs a day but they all still night ski a little.

When we moved out of Collingwood and into Barrie we taught for Rob Butler at snow valley ( great resort for a young family).

Bristol is a great resort but was a bit far at the time.

I like gong to Blue every now and then to ski with my buds and I also try to make MT St Louis Moonstone once a year just to say hi to the Huters.( I remember when Bill Stanitis owned Moonstone)

post #54 of 61

Skiis Please was a good shop and a cool name so you wouldn't forget to drop them off at the end of the day.  My buddies from out of town would rent in there, and always got good gear for not a lot of dough.

 

I never bothered with Snow Valley... too small, though the snow tubing set up is pretty awesome.  I started with a pass at Horseshoe when I was learning... then eventually tried Blue a month or two later.  After going to Blue once, I never used my Horseshoe pass again even though it was just 15 minutes away.

 

Mt St Louis was my spot for first of the season turns... many times in November.  Living there, I'd go for the 6 and 6... six months swimming in Georgian Bay at Wasaga (May-October), then do 6 months skiing (November-April).  October swimming was tricky and I only did it once.  It was nice that it only took a day or two though of Indian Summer to warm up the bay to an almost tolerable temperature.

post #55 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarluver View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crab View Post

Corkscrew at Alta= unguided missle funnel, otherwise known as "Alta bowling"


That's funny you say that,

 

 

Me and a few friends were doin a few goon/goof off runs. We left our poles at the top of Collins and pretty much straightlined the whole groomer down all the way into corkscrew. While we were doing this, we had our legs spread 3 feet apart (like children on green runs) and flapping our hands around like we were terrified and out of control. We got a lot of stares and looks from various people the we had passed on our way down to the bottom.

 

 We weren't litterally out of control, (We were able to avoid people and stop if necassary).
 


What is it about Alta skiers that causes so many of them to feel superior to people who don't ski as well as they do? Kudos on stepping it up a notch, though! This is the first account I've seen of anyone who spent several runs with the sole intent of imitating out of control skiers. Out of control skiers deserve ridicule, but it does sound like a particularly Altoid ("Curiously condescending") thing to do.

post #56 of 61

Boot, the same Rob Butler that gives ski tips on Skier's World TV show? I've gotten some great teaching tips from him.

post #57 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post

Boot, the same Rob Butler that gives ski tips on Skier's World TV show? I've gotten some great teaching tips from him.


Yup thats him . And he is a gentalmen to say the least.

You know if I ever would want to be like sombody that might be the guy


 

post #58 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by telerod15 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarluver View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crab View Post

Corkscrew at Alta= unguided missle funnel, otherwise known as "Alta bowling"


That's funny you say that,

 

 

Me and a few friends were doin a few goon/goof off runs. We left our poles at the top of Collins and pretty much straightlined the whole groomer down all the way into corkscrew. While we were doing this, we had our legs spread 3 feet apart (like children on green runs) and flapping our hands around like we were terrified and out of control. We got a lot of stares and looks from various people the we had passed on our way down to the bottom.

 

 We weren't litterally out of control, (We were able to avoid people and stop if necassary).
 


What is it about Alta skiers that causes so many of them to feel superior to people who don't ski as well as they do? Kudos on stepping it up a notch, though! This is the first account I've seen of anyone who spent several runs with the sole intent of imitating out of control skiers. Out of control skiers deserve ridicule, but it does sound like a particularly Altoid ("Curiously condescending") thing to do.



 I saw that coming. We weren't imitating little kids or new skiers,

 

we were just havin a few laughs and giggles at how stupid we looked,  we would go off jumps swingen our legs and arms and tried to look as stupid as possible, basically trying to be the ronnie mac of skiing haha:

 

(no he was not being serious)

 

not trying to look like a new or young skier!

post #59 of 61

Boot, sounds like Rob Butler is as nice in real life as he appears to be on TV. That's great that you had the opportunity to train with him.

 

Shugga, offending people who post here is sort of my hobby. I'm homebound with a broken arm so I'm particularly bitchy now. But I'm always happy when my barbs are deflected with the grace you've shown. Enjoy the wonderful mountain and great snow at Alta. The attitude that I seemed to perceive from a few individuals there did nothing to prevent me from having a great time the two days I spent at the place you call home.

post #60 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by CerebralVortex View Post


Two days ago, I had my most terrifying experience on skis. My friend talked me into skiing a couple of hours on an indoor slope not far from here, at 7:00 in the evening (when the place was packed with working stiffs and park rats at the same time).


As a brit I've done a few trips to the UK fridges but in the summer. I've seen it in the winter and it really does look terrifying, imagine the shitshow that the brits bestow onto euro resorts each year concentrated into a narrow indoor corridor...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion