EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › 2011 Dynastar Sultan 94 full-length review
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2011 Dynastar Sultan 94 full-length review - Page 2

post #31 of 54

My "profile" is virtually the same as pbartski except I'm 6'2" and 230.  I've been glad to own every Legend ski I've owned most recently the Sultan 85 and would probably like the Sultan 94 just as much.  However I don't need another "conventional" ski, I have the MX88.  I'm looking for something with modest tip and tail rocker in the 185-190 length, but I don't want a 35m turn radius.  Something "playful" for soft snow and trees yet doesn't get kicked around in the crud piles.  Skied the S7 in 188 last week.  Nice, but in the crud I felt like I do when I'm in my boat in four foot waves...  Suggestions ?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

I have skied all the skis you mention but one and I own the Motive 84. Here's my take.

 

Sultan 94 Conventional camber and conventional feeling on firm snow. This ski is great in crud, moguls, and soft-firm groomers. If I were going to buy a ski in this width as my only ski for the west, this would be a leading candidate. Roughly a 50/50 split between hard and soft snow bias.

 

Watea 98: Minimal double rise ski, very soft, fun, and easygoing. Very much soft snow biased. Probably not a super choice for your weight.

 

Rossi S3: Similar to above but firmer in flex and with a little more camber underfoot. The 177 is pretty solid for it's rather short length and running surface, skis very short. Unfortunately, the 186 has dramatically more rise and is actually less versatile except in deep snow.

 

Blizzard One: Minimal tip and tail rise, conventional but low camber underfoot. Quite grippy for what it is and very useful in both the 177 and 184 lengths. Skis short.

 

Motive 84: Very good ski for firm days but not what I'd travel the west with.

 

Ski Logiks: Have no idea.

 

So......The Sultan is the winner if you are looking for a more conventional ski, the One is probably the best choice of the "mini rockers".

 

SJ

post #32 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmerz View Post

My "profile" is virtually the same as pbartski except I'm 6'2" and 230.  I've been glad to own every Legend ski I've owned most recently the Sultan 85 and would probably like the Sultan 94 just as much.  However I don't need another "conventional" ski, I have the MX88.  I'm looking for something with modest tip and tail rocker in the 185-190 length, but I don't want a 35m turn radius.  Something "playful" for soft snow and trees yet doesn't get kicked around in the crud piles.  Skied the S7 in 188 last week.  Nice, but in the crud I felt like I do when I'm in my boat in four foot waves...  Suggestions ?
 


Personally, I have the Sultan 94 AND the MX88, both in 178 length. While the MX88 is my go to ski for hard snow conditions and up to 6" of snow, I like the Sultan a bit better in the trees, softer bumps and snow up to 12". The Sultan is very playful and has a great comedic personality and a light whimsical side compared to the classically trained MX88. 

post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmerz View Post

My "profile" is virtually the same as pbartski except I'm 6'2" and 230.  I've been glad to own every Legend ski I've owned most recently the Sultan 85 and would probably like the Sultan 94 just as much.  However I don't need another "conventional" ski, I have the MX88.  I'm looking for something with modest tip and tail rocker in the 185-190 length, but I don't want a 35m turn radius.  Something "playful" for soft snow and trees yet doesn't get kicked around in the crud piles.  Skied the S7 in 188 last week.  Nice, but in the crud I felt like I do when I'm in my boat in four foot waves...  Suggestions ?
 


Personally, I have the Sultan 94 AND the MX88, both in 178 length. While the MX88 is my go to ski for hard snow conditions and up to 6" of snow, I like the Sultan a bit better in the trees, softer bumps and snow up to 12". The Sultan is very playful and has a great comedic personality and a light whimsical side compared to the classically trained MX88. 


Phil, are you about to launch another (side) [country] career reviewing wine?
 

post #34 of 54

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregmerz View Post

My "profile" is virtually the same as pbartski except I'm 6'2" and 230.  I've been glad to own every Legend ski I've owned most recently the Sultan 85 and would probably like the Sultan 94 just as much.  However I don't need another "conventional" ski, I have the MX88.  I'm looking for something with modest tip and tail rocker in the 185-190 length, but I don't want a 35m turn radius.  Something "playful" for soft snow and trees yet doesn't get kicked around in the crud piles.  Skied the S7 in 188 last week.  Nice, but in the crud I felt like I do when I'm in my boat in four foot waves...  Suggestions ?

I'd say that you want something with 35m sidecut for the applications you describe, because you dont turn with your sidecut in soft snow.  Significant sidecut only makes the ski nervous and "hooky" in crud piles.   

post #35 of 54


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post
 Significant sidecut only makes the ski nervous and "hooky" in crud piles.   


Why is this? And why in crud more than other snow types?

post #36 of 54

Because sidecut is design to work best on a smooth hard snow surface (think groomed snow...)  Have you ever tried to run straight at high speed on a significantly parabolic ski?  It usually feels incredibly nervous and wants to be on edge all the time.  Well, in crud, even if you put it on edge it still does not help, because the sidecut amplifies every deflection.    

 

Why sidecut does not work in powder?  I'd refer you to the user manual for Volant Spatulas written by Shane McConkey himself, where he explains it much better than I can do.  he talks about Spatulas, which are a full reverse sidecut, reverse camber ski, but a lot of general things still apply.  (The following is actually quoted from someone's post on TGR)

 

<Quote>

 

Reverse Side Cut For normal skis side cut is used to make it easier to turn. You simply roll the ski on edge, add some pressure to the ski and it carves around. In recent years ski manufacturers have been adding significant amounts of side cut to their skis greatly facilitating the experience for everyone. This is true. ON HARD SNOW! In powder or soft snow side cut creates two distinct negative effects. 1. "The Pool Cover" - Your weight is directly on top of the narrowest part of the ski. this type of weight distribution immediately puts you in a sinking into the snow situation similar to what happens to the pool cover when you try to run across it. this causes your tips and tails to float but the center of your skis where all the weight is sinks, bogs down and then you must plow through the snow. You will be forced to carve every turn and expend a lot of energy bounding in and out of the snow. Sinking/carving=bad, floating/sliding=good. 2. "The Unstable Hooker" - Skis become very unstable and much more difficult to control. In sun crust or wind affect you may have noticed the occasional Unstable Hooker. This is when you start a turn and your downhill ski hooks fast and hard up and across your uphill ski. You cross your tips, step on your downhill ski with your uphill and then stuff your face into the mountain. Or at high speeds you may have noticed your skis trying to swim around a bit making it hard to control as you try to keep your tips up and out of the snow. The solution to this in the past has always been to maintain a wider stance in powder and to slow it down a bit. Fortunately now you can use your Spatula to dish out a good spanking to that Unstable Hooker and Pool Cover. The reverse side cut of the Spatulas immediately sets you afloat on top of the snow allowing you to initiate turns and negotiate everything you encounter much more easiliy without having to labor through it. Reverse side cut also eliminates the instabilities commonly encountered with shaped skis in the soft snow. You will notice little or nor Unstable Hookers and you will be able to enjoy a much more relaxed stance in variable snow and at high speeds. 

 

Reverse Camber On normal skis camber is used to add power and extra pressure to the tip and tail of the ski. This gives the ski stability, strength, and helps it initiate a turn. It also adds power through the arc of the turn. This is true, ON HARD SNOW! In soft snow it has these negative effects: 1. “The Sunken Plow” - Tips and tails are constantly trying to dive down into the snow. No matter how much you load up the skis with pressure or how soft the skis are the tips still always want to dive lower than the waist of the skis. This causes excessive unweighting or bouncing and leaning back onto your tails. It puts you in an unbalanced position. The point is to get up and out of the snow not down in it. 2. “Franz” - Skis will only ever turn by carving. Skis will not in any way be made to slide. Tips and tails during unweighting are always lower than the center of the skis prohibiting any attempt at a slide. Throwing the skis sideways in anyway will end in a caught outside edge followed by a quick whiplash onto your side. The Spatula’s decamber will prevent most Sunken Plow situations depending on the skiers weight. The lighter you are, the more you will benefit from the decamber. You will notice that you will not need to lean back on your skis in the powder nearly as much as you would on normal skis. This will allow you to stand upright and attack the mountain much more efficiently. Having the option to eliminate the Franz carve from your powder skiing will open up a whole new world for you. Try sliding a bit sideways as you finish your turn. Remember to stand on both feet. Try doing a long slide instead of doing a turn at all. Skiers constantly link one turn to the next in powder because in the past we lacked the ability and technology to slide. It also has traditionally been considered proper style to make identical, consecutive linked turns down a powder slope. Now you have the option to carve, slide, crab sideways, hockey stop, and basically use the slope in many creative ways instead of such a limited traditional style.

<EndQuote>

post #37 of 54

We are on a thread drift here. Let's move the sidecut conversation to a new thread since the S94 isn't applicable to where this is going. 

post #38 of 54
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmerz View Post

My "profile" is virtually the same as pbartski except I'm 6'2" and 230.  I've been glad to own every Legend ski I've owned most recently the Sultan 85 and would probably like the Sultan 94 just as much.  However I don't need another "conventional" ski, I have the MX88.  I'm looking for something with modest tip and tail rocker in the 185-190 length, but I don't want a 35m turn radius.  Something "playful" for soft snow and trees yet doesn't get kicked around in the crud piles.  Skied the S7 in 188 last week.  Nice, but in the crud I felt like I do when I'm in my boat in four foot waves...  Suggestions ?
 

 

Something perhaps with metal, and stiffer?  Elan Olympus would be great, Kastle MX108 (no metal but plenty stiff), Volkl Katana, Dynastar Huge Rocker. All are burlier and more big-mountain, all-condition than the S7, which is more playful, softer, but gets kicked around in crud and skis short. 3 are basically flat camber with a rockered tip (Katana is extremely mild reverse camber) and the HR has camber underfoot, and tip and tail rocker.  Plus, if you are on the MX88 in 188cm, the S7 in 188cm is too short! My friend, the other day on his JJ's when we were skiing, was complaining about the same thing: great in soft snow, pretty jittery when it gets tracked out.

post #39 of 54



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

We are on a thread drift here. Let's move the sidecut conversation to a new thread since the S94 isn't applicable to where this is going. 



Well, with that said.........I just purchased (last week) and skied the S94 yesterday (thank you SJ) and I can assure you the skis are more than swell. 10 inches of cut up powder: check!  Various types of crud: check! Softish groomers: check!

 

And perhaps some of the most tasteful graphics. Is this the perfect ski for me? Heck if I know. Is it the right ski for me?  Oh Yea!

 

IMO there is a reason why this ski has received many positive reviews and zero negative reviews.

 

(I think people should mellow out and not sweat finding the *perfect* ski. Just go with the right ski.)

 

post #40 of 54

By the Dynastar Huge Rocker you mean the 6th Sense Huge ?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmerz View Post

My "profile" is virtually the same as pbartski except I'm 6'2" and 230.  I've been glad to own every Legend ski I've owned most recently the Sultan 85 and would probably like the Sultan 94 just as much.  However I don't need another "conventional" ski, I have the MX88.  I'm looking for something with modest tip and tail rocker in the 185-190 length, but I don't want a 35m turn radius.  Something "playful" for soft snow and trees yet doesn't get kicked around in the crud piles.  Skied the S7 in 188 last week.  Nice, but in the crud I felt like I do when I'm in my boat in four foot waves...  Suggestions ?
 

 

Something perhaps with metal, and stiffer?  Elan Olympus would be great, Kastle MX108 (no metal but plenty stiff), Volkl Katana, Dynastar Huge Rocker. All are burlier and more big-mountain, all-condition than the S7, which is more playful, softer, but gets kicked around in crud and skis short. 3 are basically flat camber with a rockered tip (Katana is extremely mild reverse camber) and the HR has camber underfoot, and tip and tail rocker.  Plus, if you are on the MX88 in 188cm, the S7 in 188cm is too short! My friend, the other day on his JJ's when we were skiing, was complaining about the same thing: great in soft snow, pretty jittery when it gets tracked out.

post #41 of 54

Hmmm, thread drift indeed...  Back to the original topic: looks like I am the only one who really didn't like that ski when I demoed it last season.  So, what was wrong?   I was on 178, maybe I should have been on 184?  Does it ski short?  My previous two Legends were 178 and I didn't feel short, but my current LPR is 184 and I like it a lot and I dont think I'd want it any shorter.

post #42 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

I have skied all the skis you mention but one and I own the Motive 84. Here's my take.

 

Sultan 94 Conventional camber and conventional feeling on firm snow. This ski is great in crud, moguls, and soft-firm groomers. If I were going to buy a ski in this width as my only ski for the west, this would be a leading candidate. Roughly a 50/50 split between hard and soft snow bias.

 

Watea 98: Minimal double rise ski, very soft, fun, and easygoing. Very much soft snow biased. Probably not a super choice for your weight.

 

Rossi S3: Similar to above but firmer in flex and with a little more camber underfoot. The 177 is pretty solid for it's rather short length and running surface, skis very short. Unfortunately, the 186 has dramatically more rise and is actually less versatile except in deep snow.

 

Blizzard One: Minimal tip and tail rise, conventional but low camber underfoot. Quite grippy for what it is and very useful in both the 177 and 184 lengths. Skis short.

 

Motive 84: Very good ski for firm days but not what I'd travel the west with.

 

Ski Logiks: Have no idea.

 

So......The Sultan is the winner if you are looking for a more conventional ski, the One is probably the best choice of the "mini rockers".

 

SJ


Thanks this is very helpful.

 

post #43 of 54

Yes.  This year's 6th Sense Huge has rocker, the last 2 years didn't.  "Huge Rocker" seems to be the nickname I keep hearing to differentiate the new version from the old version.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmerz View Post

By the Dynastar Huge Rocker you mean the 6th Sense Huge ?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmerz View Post

My "profile" is virtually the same as pbartski except I'm 6'2" and 230.  I've been glad to own every Legend ski I've owned most recently the Sultan 85 and would probably like the Sultan 94 just as much.  However I don't need another "conventional" ski, I have the MX88.  I'm looking for something with modest tip and tail rocker in the 185-190 length, but I don't want a 35m turn radius.  Something "playful" for soft snow and trees yet doesn't get kicked around in the crud piles.  Skied the S7 in 188 last week.  Nice, but in the crud I felt like I do when I'm in my boat in four foot waves...  Suggestions ?
 

 

Something perhaps with metal, and stiffer?  Elan Olympus would be great, Kastle MX108 (no metal but plenty stiff), Volkl Katana, Dynastar Huge Rocker. All are burlier and more big-mountain, all-condition than the S7, which is more playful, softer, but gets kicked around in crud and skis short. 3 are basically flat camber with a rockered tip (Katana is extremely mild reverse camber) and the HR has camber underfoot, and tip and tail rocker.  Plus, if you are on the MX88 in 188cm, the S7 in 188cm is too short! My friend, the other day on his JJ's when we were skiing, was complaining about the same thing: great in soft snow, pretty jittery when it gets tracked out.


 
post #44 of 54

     Quote:

Originally Posted by gregmerz View Post

My "profile" is virtually the same as pbartski except I'm 6'2" and 230.  I've been glad to own every Legend ski I've owned most recently the Sultan 85 and would probably like the Sultan 94 just as much.  However I don't need another "conventional" ski, I have the MX88.  I'm looking for something with modest tip and tail rocker in the 185-190 length, but I don't want a 35m turn radius.  Something "playful" for soft snow and trees yet doesn't get kicked around in the crud piles.  Skied the S7 in 188 last week.  Nice, but in the crud I felt like I do when I'm in my boat in four foot waves...  Suggestions ?
 


I'm thinking Blizzard The One or Volkl Katana.  Of course the ski that I own that does this trick is the ZAG Heli Gold (now the ZAG Gold), but it doesn't have any tail rocker.

post #45 of 54

I think the One is going to be too short and soft for his size. I ski with Greg. I had the Huge, on the list and also a ski not talked about much but seems to be a possiblity:  Rossi S6... thoughts?  Seems like a good mix of abilities with a nod to powder oriented conditions.

post #46 of 54

S6 is stiffer than The One?  Are you sure?

post #47 of 54

no, not sure but the one is only 98, in speaking with greg, he would really like to go wider. 

post #48 of 54

I don't see the Line Prophet 115 making it into these conversations much on this forum. There are some people on TGR that seem to love this ski. I have a pair that I haven't yet tried but am hoping it fits Greg's description (except it doesn't have tail rocker).

post #49 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallSkinnyGuy View Post

I don't see the Line Prophet 115 making it into these conversations much on this forum. There are some people on TGR that seem to love this ski. I have a pair that I haven't yet tried but am hoping it fits Greg's description (except it doesn't have tail rocker).



It does. I skied it the other day. need to get review up. 

post #50 of 54

I appreciate the guidance (keep it coming) and I apologize for the thread HIJACK...

post #51 of 54

p115 looks good based on "what seemed good" but I have zero knowledge of the ski so..... 

 

post #52 of 54
Quote:


I'm thinking Blizzard The One or Volkl Katana.  Of course the ski that I own that does this trick is the ZAG Heli Gold (now the ZAG Gold), but it doesn't have any tail rocker.



Noodler-  How did you get your Zag?  I have always been curious about this ski and the only one time I tried one of their models, I loved it.  I dont think they have any dealers or demo locations in the US.  They really were the ones who pioneered this early rise early taper tip shape that a lot of indie companies are making now (I think the ON3P skis definitely uses some of those ideas, although I believe with a much larger sidecut).  The ZAG Gold actually looks like a very sweet ski ( I am not sure I believe much in a tail rocker in an all-mountain ski, so the Gold fits that mold). 

post #53 of 54

/ slight thread detour /

 

For all your ZAG needs contact Cameron Eggertz at g_c_egg AT hotmail DOT com

 

/ now resuming your normal programming /

 

I like the Prophet 115 too in this case, but no tail rocker (which was spec'd) and some seriously deep sidecut (which personally I like, but it's not for everyone).

post #54 of 54
Thread Starter 

Skied the Huge Rocker and Bent Chetler today in pretty good to epic conditions. Review to follow...suffice to say that both are amazing skis, albeit a bit different. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Gear Reviews
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › 2011 Dynastar Sultan 94 full-length review