New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where's the Snow? - Page 2

post #31 of 38

 Never worry about lack of snow in Silverton, right?? My brother just told me to look at the NWS forecast discussion for the area:

 

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND JUNCTION CO
310 PM MST SAT DEC 18 2010

.SHORT TERM...TONIGHT THROUGH MONDAY
SIMPLE FORECAST MESSAGE TODAY...SNOWFALL IN THE HIGH COUNTRY (ABOVE
9000 FEET) WILL BECOME PHENOMENAL WITH EXTREME SNOW TOTALS PERHAPS 6
FEET...ALTHOUGH 2 TO 4 FEET WILL BE FAIRLY COMMON.  

 

 Of course, now we're not sure we'll make it into town at all .... rolleyes.gif

post #32 of 38

Not to be a buzzkill, but the access road between the town of Silverton and the SM ski area runs right along the bottom of a series of avalanche chutes, not to mention the ski area itself.  It they actually get that kind of snow on the sketchy crust we have up there, it might be awhile before they will be able to get things clear and safe for skiing, assuming you can get over the pass to Silverton in the first place.

post #33 of 38

 I know, I know! We could possibly leave early tomorrow and get in, but then ... I don't want to be snowed in all week with nowhere to ski, while everyone in Summit and Eagle is having a ball.

post #34 of 38

Not sure which way you are coming down, but Wolf Creek Pass has gotten quite a bit of snow already, and is supposed to continue to get hammered.

post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfoot View Post

Not sure which way you are coming down, but Wolf Creek Pass has gotten quite a bit of snow already, and is supposed to continue to get hammered.


Just talked to my brother ... he suspects Red will close tomorrow at dark, and possibly Coal Bank/Molas the next day, if they go too. Could end up being a 5-pass closure, but he's not ready to predict that yet. There is more weather predicted to come in Thursday -- that's still hard to tell, but if there isn't a good window to clear snow (heavy high-water content snow), it could be a couple of days. And Red is always last, of course. He was less worried about SM opening up by the time we'd be skiing, and the county road is only closed as a last resort, but with 5 ft of snow or more, ....

 

DH has to be back in Denver on Monday, returning here Mon night (which could be a feat in itself), so we'd all have to go separately if I leave Copper with kids tomorrow. Decisions decisions! Maybe DH could fly to Durango (this trip is getting very expensive, suddenly). Oh well. I guess I'll go to the ouija board next...

post #36 of 38

Silverton Mt. is claiming 18" of new today.  Here is a video. Then tend to over report, and the vid looks more like a foot, but still not bad.

 

http://www.silvertonmountain.com/page/experience/videos

post #37 of 38

I heard CB was getting hammered the last two days.... anyone down there? and is it worth the 3 hour drive?

post #38 of 38

CBMR announced this morning that the total snowfall from this storm is now at 5'.  So there's a lot of snow around, but it all came quickly and it's gonna take awhile for it to be sorted out.  Control work will take some time, couple of days at least.  Opening more terrain like the North Face may take longer.  Don't expect the double black parts of the mountain to be ready right away.

 

When it's all worked out, it bodes well for the season.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion