EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Backcountry, Telemark, and Cross Country › Can someone please explain Marker Dukes to me?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can someone please explain Marker Dukes to me? - Page 2

post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaman View Post

 nah, I've never seen a girl who was impressed by a set of bindings.






If she is then she's the marrying type. LOL
post #32 of 43


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspritz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaman View Post

So, are they worth in terms of going up the resort ridges in Colorado and things like that? I have a feeling they aren't... But I would like to hear opinions from people who are actually using these bindings.

first skins normal work best on shallow slopes. alot of ridgeline hikes are either too short, and or too steep to make a pair of dukes worth your while skiing inbounds only.


And this, dear friends, gets us back to the point that prompted me to start this thread in the first place, it being essentially impossible to access true BC terrain from inbounds at most Colorado resorts.
 


Perhaps along the front range.  Aspen, Highlands and Snowmass all have abundant BC options.

Saturday I skinned out 15 minutes, skied 3000 ft. to the road and split a cab back to the gondi for $5. 

Takes a little more than an hour RT.  

 

Dukes work for me now, maybe someday I'll try something new.   I did try on some Shoguns and they do look promising. 

post #33 of 43

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaman View Post

... I've never seen a girl who was impressed by a set of bindings.


You don't ski tele then, do you?  wink.gif

post #34 of 43

Just to beat a dead horse a little more:
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

Maybe you can ski anything on Dynafits?  But can you do it fast, all day and will they last at least a season doing it?

 

I have never seen anyone on Dynafits that could hang inbounds for long. Maybe your the guys?  Highland's open Saturday, if this storm comes in strong, it will be really, really good.  Prove me wrong.   


Okay, here - you're wrong.  This guy's on Dynafits and seems to be hanging.  Of course he's clearly an idiot because he's not wearing a helmet so he should be ignored:

post #35 of 43

Of course you can ski anything on Dynafits. If you know how to ski and have an appropriate boot that you like. 

 

The reality is that the progression of skills is from the resort to the skin track. Everyone has (or had) a resort boot. That is why step in touring bindings make the most sense as a gate way to let people try it out for the cost of a bindign and some skins. And the duke is a binding they can ride in the resort fo 20K vert a day all season long. So if they decide this touring thing isn't for me or I am not ready yet, its no sweat just using the setup inbounds.

post #36 of 43

Obviously he's an amazing athlete.  I don't doubt that he can get down just about anything on Dynafits, but could he do it with as much control as if he had a full alpine set up?  How much loss of performance does a Dynafit binding/boot combo suffer?  You guys seem to be claiming 0%?  But if that's true, how come WC or FWT competitor's aren't using them?  I mean, if something is lighter and just as good, wouldn't competitors jump on it?

 

I was at Highland's opener Saturday.  Lot's of people on Duke's and Fritchi's and a few on Dynafits.  From what I saw, the people on Alpine setups generally seam to have more control.  

 

Has anyone skied a whole season on Dynafit's, primarily inbounds,  at a big mountain like Jackson, Snowbird, Squaw?  How did they hold up?

What boot and ski are you using?

 

I think they are getting better every year and I am sure someday, I'll buy in.  But for right now, I don't think I could keep up with the guys I ski with, on them? I'm not sure anyone could?

post #37 of 43

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

Obviously he's an amazing athlete.  I don't doubt that he can get down just about anything on Dynafits, but could he do it with as much control as if he had a full alpine set up?  How much loss of performance does a Dynafit binding/boot combo suffer?  You guys seem to be claiming 0%?  But if that's true, how come WC or FWT competitor's aren't using them?  I mean, if something is lighter and just as good, wouldn't competitors jump on it?

 

I was at Highland's opener Saturday.  Lot's of people on Duke's and Fritchi's and a few on Dynafits.  From what I saw, the people on Alpine setups generally seam to have more control.  

 

Has anyone skied a whole season on Dynafit's, primarily inbounds,  at a big mountain like Jackson, Snowbird, Squaw?  How did they hold up?

What boot and ski are you using?

 

I think they are getting better every year and I am sure someday, I'll buy in.  But for right now, I don't think I could keep up with the guys I ski with, on them? I'm not sure anyone could?


roflmao.gifroflmao.gifroflmao.gifroflmao.gifroflmao.gifroflmao.gifroflmao.gif

 

BTW, to answer your world cup question with another, you know the DIN only goes to 12 on them don't you?  And correct me if I'm wrong, but weight doesn't seem to be much of a concern to WC competitors..or most downhill skiers for that matter.  

 

roflmao.gifroflmao.gifroflmao.gifroflmao.gifroflmao.gifroflmao.gifroflmao.gif

post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by raspritz View Post

Quote:
 

And this, dear friends, gets us back to the point that prompted me to start this thread in the first place, it being essentially impossible to access true BC terrain from inbounds at most Colorado resorts.
 


HMMMMM???  Vail...yep, steamboat....yep, copper...yep,  breck....yep,  abasin....yep

 

I could go on but you get the point

 

th_dunno-1[1].gif

 

 

 

post #39 of 43
Thread Starter 


I think we should let this thread die.

post #40 of 43

 

"Can someone explain Marker Dukes to me?"
 

 

after reading this I doubt it, but I'll try

 

Some of us came strickly from an alpine skiing background - from lessons to racing to ski bumming - so our priority and focus has always been on the down and whatever can help it.  We grew up in the days of flimsy leather lace-ups, cable bindings & skinny skis.  Been there.  Done that.  

 

Somewhere in most avid skiers career they stumble back across backcountry skiing.  In my particular case I was about 35 when I bought a pair of 404's and started touring regularly.  Fritschi came along at a perfect time but unfortunately, over the past decade they never really resolved their lateral performance issue so there's been a niche market for people like us who crave the performance and safety that Makers new range of bindings have brought to the public.

 

Now, I realise the OP & Bob L are trying to point out that heavier gear doesn't belong (or isn't needed) in the backcountry, and they're right... _for them_.  But for those of us who go into the shops every year and try on the latest "performance" AT boots and immediately realise just how uncomfortably they fit our feet and just how lousy their performance (in comparison to our Langes, Technicas or Salomon alpine boots) will be _for us_ when skiing, well... we are just fine with not following the lightweight AT trend.

 

One of the biggest misconceptions with people new to backcountry skiing is that alpine boots and heavier bindings are just no good for touring.  As someone who is fairly lazy and by no means a triathelete Greg Hill-type, yet tours 30-40 days a season in alpine boots w/ 120 flex and heavy 190cm, 105mm skis, I can say for sure this is a crock.  All my touring partners are the same - no AT boots - yet every year we find ourselves on some hut trip in BC or Urp with plenty 7-8K days and not a single issue with our gear on the up or down.  So far, non of us have had trouble keeping up with the 'featherweight' crowd.

 

Are we handicapping ourselves?  If our focus was on the climb, then yes, absolutely.  If I were a touring guide punching in skin tracks all season long, or a rando-race geek looking for speed, or a sponsored mountaineer looking to chock up a resume of impressive ascents/descents, then Dynafits are the obvious choice.  And I guess the same can be said for those skiers who really don't need that little extra bit of performance on the down because they simply are unable to utilize or care enough to appreciate it as much as getting to the top 10 minutes quicker.  

 

I know I too will be on them eventually when the right boot comes along and I'm willing to dial back the amount of energy I put into my skiing, but in the meantime - I'm not.  Therefore, Markers and alpine boots will be on my feet this year.  If they also happen to impress the girls, that's just another unexpected benefit.

post #41 of 43


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post


Has anyone skied a whole season on Dynafit's, primarily inbounds,  at a big mountain like Jackson, Snowbird, Squaw?  How did they hold up?

What boot and ski are you using?

 


Really tiring of this thread too but wanted to respond to this. I clocked about 15-18 days here in Crested Butte on my Dynafits + Garmont Radiums last year. And as you probably know, CB has few rivals in big mountain terrain. No problems with the binding holding up. Actually, had more problems with my Dukes but that was *ahem* more user error than a slight on the binding. Don't ask me why they're holding up. It sort of defies logic but they do.

 

They're on a pair of 188 Bro Stiffs. It isn't my favorite setup (that would be my JJs) but I use it a lot if I am going to be lapping a bunch of the hike to/out terrain like Teo, Third Bowl or the top of Spellbound. I find that I do more laps on the weekends or get that extra lap in when I am only skiing a morning or afternoon. Thinking back, one of my top 5 grueling days on AT gear was in bounds. Amazing how many laps you can work in when a lift is doing 80% of the work.

post #42 of 43

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapseats View Post

Some of us came strickly from an alpine skiing background - from lessons to racing to ski bumming - so our priority and focus has always been on the down and whatever can help it.  We grew up in the days of flimsy leather lace-ups, cable bindings & skinny skis.  Been there.  Done that.  


Me too.  

 

Quote:

Now, I realise the OP & Bob L are trying to point out that heavier gear doesn't belong (or isn't needed) in the backcountry, and they're right... _for them_.  

 

I think you mis-read me, friend.  I don't care what gear people ride the backcountry - the important thing is that they get into the backcountry.  What I've been attempting to address in this thread is people that claim they need Marker Dukes and/or their alpine boots to ski bc.  

 

Dynafit bindings are much lighter than Dukes and tour much better, but more importantly, they ski as well - with the possible exception of big hucks, which IIRC no one in this thread has mentioned.  The only other advantage to Markers that I can think of is that you can ski them with alpine boots.  

 

And as far as boots go, I've been trying to point out that new models by Dynafit, Black Diamond, Scarpa and Garmont (and maybe Dalbello) are extremely sturdy and stiff (rated at 130) and offer a wide range of fits.  And that people that want really stiff boots ought to check them out because they offer lighter weight, much better skinning, hiking and climbing (walk mode and lugged soles) and they are Dynafit compatible, which will save even more weight and tour better and not sacrifice performance for most people.  

 

I've been told in this thread that people can't charge on Dynafits (wrong IMO), Dynafit bindings don't have as much control as Markers (wrong IMO), and that skiing on Dynafits will hold people back (wrong IMO), and that AT boots aren't stiff enough (though no one here seems to have tried the new, stiff 130-flex boots).  So I've been trying to pass on a little information.  

 

But if people were to say that they can't afford new boots, or that it doesn't bother them that their alpine boots hold them back and make them work much harder when skinning or climbing, or that it's all right that they are much less comfortable when touring, then I would accept that.  But to say that performance is the issue really isn't accurate these days...IMHO.  

 

Quote:

...If I were a touring guide punching in skin tracks all season long, or a rando-race geek looking for speed, or a sponsored mountaineer looking to chock up a resume of impressive ascents/descents, then Dynafits are the obvious choice...  

 

FWIW, I'm none of those.

 

Quote:

... And I guess the same can be said for those skiers who really don't need that little extra bit of performance on the down because they simply are unable to utilize or care enough to appreciate it as much as getting to the top 10 minutes quicker... 

 

Please, that was pretty condescending considering you don't know much about me.  Let's try to be better than that.  


Edited by Bob Lee - 12/17/10 at 6:57am
post #43 of 43

I'll jump in!

 

I've skied resort for years and own a good groomer/teaching ski and a good fun powder rocker ski and a pair of alpine boots.

 

This year i moved to the mountains and there are plenty of trails that i have enjoyed in the summer that are skiable in the Winter.

 

I cannot afford a full touring ski/binding/boot setup, but want to give it a try.

 

At the local ski-swap I found a pair of skis with dukes for a good price and no real quiver overlap.  Add $120 for a set of skins and i'm good to go (Already have Avi gear for inbounds freeride areas).

 

If I get into it, next years purchase will be a pair of AT boots.....  After that if I want to get somewhere (i.e. tour) maybe i'll get a DF bound ski......  If I dont like it (why wouldn't I?) I have a very capable pair of in-bounds skis to add to the quiver.

 

The Dukes are allowing me to explore , learn, train, etc without having to go crazy on my credit card.

 

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Backcountry, Telemark, and Cross Country › Can someone please explain Marker Dukes to me?