EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Public Service Announcement - DEEP-CEMBER in Jackson Hole
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Public Service Announcement - DEEP-CEMBER in Jackson Hole

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

After another 14-18" last night through this morning, it's now official.  Jackson Hole Mountain Resort is skiing better right now, on December 3, than it did at any time during all of last year.  Last year wasn't necessarily a "bad" year, but this year is just off der charten.

 

No photos from today because we were too busy skiing.  The shorthand is that top-to-bottom and wall-to-wall it's unbelievable.

 

Whoa!

post #2 of 18

Keep doing the snow dance.

I will be there dec 13 -14.

post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post

After another 14-18" last night through this morning, it's now official.  Jackson Hole Mountain Resort is skiing better right now, on December 3, than it did at any time during all of last year.  Last year wasn't necessarily a "bad" year, but this year is just off der charten.

 

No photos from today because we were too busy skiing.  The shorthand is that top-to-bottom and wall-to-wall it's unbelievable.

 

Whoa!



You had better not let it dry up..... Mr. Peters.

post #4 of 18

What must be  really nice about it is being able to ski it deep but not bumped up. I'll bet that makes it feel really different.

post #5 of 18

So true!  It's really cool that there are no bumps under the snow anywhere.  I was hitting some pockets today that probably hadn't been hit at all this year...  Until I schralped them.  There were no lines at any of the lifts.  The best part was I was being paid to ski with a group of six strong skiers, a trainer, and a shadow trainer.  We skied our butts off.  In two days of training we did no drills and only two line rotations.  Ski more... Talk less!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

What must be  really nice about it is being able to ski it deep but not bumped up. I'll bet that makes it feel really different.

post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

What must be  really nice about it is being able to ski it deep but not bumped up. I'll bet that makes it feel really different.


There are a few bumps around, but today they were so far below the surface that they just served as nice little launching points.  OMG.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post

So true!  It's really cool that there are no bumps under the snow anywhere.  I was hitting some pockets today that probably hadn't been hit at all this year...  Until I schralped them.  There were no lines at any of the lifts.  The best part was I was being paid to ski with a group of six strong skiers, a trainer, and a shadow trainer.  We skied our butts off.  In two days of training we did no drills and only two line rotations.  Ski more... Talk less!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

What must be  really nice about it is being able to ski it deep but not bumped up. I'll bet that makes it feel really different.


 

Re the lines... two days ago I got on a tram where it was me, another skier, an employee, and the tram conductor.  That's a total of FOUR people on a 100-person tram.

 

I don't know how to put this any more succintly...

 

I've skied here all or parts of every season since 1974 and that is a long frickin' time in dog years.  This is the best early-season skiing I've ever seen.  'Trollers who have been around even longer than I have are saying it's the best they've ever seen.  Not only that, but the skiing today is as good as or better than MOST years in the MIDDLE of the season.

 

Anybody who's been around the mountains for any length of time knows that the jet stream can change and the snow could all stop tomorrow, but so far this is an historic year at JH.

post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post

Last year wasn't necessarily a "bad" year


That depends on what part of the year you were there :)

post #8 of 18

Yesterday was maybe one of the better days of my life.  There was pow everywhere.  The deepy goodness type.

 

Bonus Pic:

 

Blaze on the 177 Atomic Blog w/ Marker Squire bindings.  It skis short on the pack and great in the pow.  Soft flexy tails enable him to do stuff like this on skier's left on Lower Sublette Ridge.  /crappy iphone pic:

 

lower sublette dec 4 2010.jpg

post #9 of 18


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiing-in-Jackson View Post

Yesterday was maybe one of the better days of my life.  There was pow everywhere.  The deepy goodness type.

 

Bonus Pic:

 

Blaze on the 177 Atomic Blog w/ Marker Squire bindings.  It skis short on the pack and great in the pow.  Soft flexy tails enable him to do stuff like this on skier's left on Lower Sublette Ridge.  /crappy iphone pic:

 

lower sublette dec 4 2010.jpg


Puuuleeze

No whining about crappy i-phone pics while the rest of us are eating our hearts out.

 

Rip it Blaze! Can't think about how he'll be skiing in another few years.

post #10 of 18

I have 44 years of data to back up Bob's assertion.  Mid-mountain snowfall before December 1 was 118 inches this year, exceeded only by the 120 in November 1988 (also a La Nina).  With 20 inches since then, it's safe to say this year is now in the lead.

 

Last year was not a good one for Jackson.  Mid-mountain snowfall of 290 inches was 79% of normal, a 17th percentile season.  As of January 22 snowfall was only 63% of normal and the mountain was not fully open until the end of the month.  Furthermore with only 28 inches in March the lower faces closed before the end of the month, presumably losing cover prematurely.

post #11 of 18

This does not suck!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiing-in-Jackson View Post

Yesterday was maybe one of the better days of my life.  There was pow everywhere.  The deepy goodness type.

 

Bonus Pic:

 

Blaze on the 177 Atomic Blog w/ Marker Squire bindings.  It skis short on the pack and great in the pow.  Soft flexy tails enable him to do stuff like this on skier's left on Lower Sublette Ridge.  /crappy iphone pic:

 

lower sublette dec 4 2010.jpg



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post

I have 44 years of data to back up Bob's assertion.  Mid-mountain snowfall before December 1 was 118 inches this year, exceeded only by the 120 in November 1988 (also a La Nina).  With 20 inches since then, it's safe to say this year is now in the lead.

 

Last year was not a good one for Jackson.  Mid-mountain snowfall of 290 inches was 79% of normal, a 17th percentile season.  As of January 22 snowfall was only 63% of normal and the mountain was not fully open until the end of the month.  Furthermore with only 28 inches in March the lower faces closed before the end of the month, presumably losing cover prematurely.

post #12 of 18

Please keep it coming until at least the first week in March.  My wife and I are making our first trip out to Jackson then.  Counting down the days.

post #13 of 18

I felt like I had the place to myself yesterday.  I looked up and down Ampitheater at 1:45 PM and could not see another skier.  Almost spooky.  Bob and I had the Hobacks to ourselves in the morning.  No pictures, but rest assured Bob Peters was busy being awesome.

 

No rocks showing on most of the major runs.  Alta 3 chute was excellent; first time on an Alta chute for me, ever.   Alta 1 still has an obvious rock band showing in the middle, but people were skiing it.  The tram is walk-on all day, and that's on the weekend.  The mountain is in phenomenal shape.  Glad I went!

post #14 of 18

17" New todayz

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-HnLcWaY2HpmB77-PpzGiR2MvjEpgyBZb9WZswFD19j0pz37mHA

post #15 of 18

Pace yourself JH weather.  I want some of this the first week of March damnit.

post #16 of 18

it is rather good everywhere in Colorado at the moment as well.  Wish JH was a bit closer.

post #17 of 18
Well... the month looks like it is going to finish pretty strong. Today was just great.

The powder was cold and crisp. Blower in nature. We got way more than reported.

 

 

post #18 of 18
Yeah I'm bummed the month is over.

What a month!

I was talking with the Sage of JH and just a quick count tallied around 24 excellent days. Out of 31 days to get 23 or 24 outstanding days is just amazing. I'll never forget (DEEP)-cember!!!

Hey Boys, this season is just getting going! We have skied at least 29 days as a family on the hill this year. My greatest gift this past year was getting to ski JH with family and friends.

Happy New Year!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Public Service Announcement - DEEP-CEMBER in Jackson Hole