Hello Epic Community,
We have planned our first trip west to Aspen in March of 2011. We are a family of five with kids ages 5, 7, 10. The ten year old snowboards and enjoys the parks. My other two are still beginners but can turn and stop reliably. We will be staying at the base of Ajax. However, I realize we will not be doing the majority of our skiing at Aspen Mountain. I assume we will spend the most of our time at Snowmass and Buttermilk. My questions are as follows for any one that has some time:
- I would like to go in to this with somewhat of a plan. What would someone suggest for getting acclimated to Snowmass or Buttermilk. Where should we start?
- Where would you go to introduce a powder type situation if the conditions arose? I guess what I am asking is are there any intermediate type runs that would provide a good powder situation if new snow falls?
- Are there any must go to restaurants in Aspen or Snowmass village?
- What are some of the better ski shops that both sell equipment or rent it?
- We have heard some talk of a sled dog excursion. Does anyone have any experience in doing it? What does it entail? What does it cost?
- Can someone tell me what to expect to pay for lunch type food (hot dog, hamburger, chix sandy) on the mountain. I know its expensive but just trying to get a feel for what to expect.
- Also, read that you can get on a mountain for first tracks if you call ahead of time. Is this worth the time?
- Ok I will stop.
Sorry for how long this is. Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.