I have decided that I just don't like touring on my praxis. Should I move the dukes to the huge instead?
Related Forum Threads
- For tonight's swap - how to visually tell junior from adult bindings? Last post on 11/2/14 at 9:04pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Knee Bindings, 2011-2012, User Reviews Last post on 10/6/12 at 10:01am in Member Gear Reviews
- Expand metatarsal buckle on Dalbello boss ID? Last post on 11/10/11 at 6:34am in Ski Gear Discussion
- Which DIY Liner Heat Molding Technique is Best? Last post on 1/19/17 at 12:23pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Ski boot drying Last post on 11/9/11 at 5:36am in Ski Gear Discussion
2016 Lange Buyers Guide
Last edited: 8/4/16
- Salomon Ski BootsLast edited: 8/4/16
- Ski Boots--The Most Important Piece of Gear You Will OwnLast edited: 11/16/15
- Keep Your Feet WarmLast edited: 9/7/12
- The Birdcage Boot Experiment By David MacphailLast edited: 12/15/12
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
Touring on Huge trouble bad idea?post #1 of 2112/1/10 at 3:28pmThread Starterpost #2 of 2112/1/10 at 4:12pm
This guy (http://kootenayskier.wordpress.com/2009/01/19/big-trouble/) put touring bindings on the HTs and wrote somewhere in his blog (I didn't find the actual post about touring with them) that he found them way too heavy for more than short sidecountry stuff.post #3 of 2112/1/10 at 9:35pmpost #4 of 2112/2/10 at 7:26ampost #5 of 2112/2/10 at 8:03amThread Starter
I am not looking for an outside te box solution. Its touing on hudge wiht dukes vs. touring on praxis with dukes. I am not buying new skis or new bindings. My boots are not techfittings and I am not spending more on new boots and bindings at this point.
Dukes are mandatory beucase I will use them for primarily inbounds with alpine boots. And some touring as well.
I don't think the praxis tour well. They are slow on run outs and I cannot skate in them. many of the tours in logan have long approach so this stuff matters. Also they have a limited contact patch for skinning on an established track. I think the huge will be better. Am I crazy?post #6 of 2112/2/10 at 8:19amThe "slow on runouts" I would have expected, the "limited contact patch for skinning in-track" was obvious, the "cannot skate in them" was not expected.
Is it a question of "can't find the big toe edge because of the sidecut" or "can't get hips over far enough to get high edge" or "can't find the big toe edge because of the camber" or is it "it hurts my knees/ankles to work this hard"?post #7 of 2112/2/10 at 8:29amThread Starter
Well there is reverse side cut. And no camber. They sort of work if I have my legs splayed out very wide, but in practice roads / snowmobile tracks are not that wide so it doesn't work.post #8 of 2112/2/10 at 8:48amQuote:Originally Posted by TallSkinnyGuy
This guy (http://kootenayskier.wordpress.com/2009/01/19/big-trouble/) put touring bindings on the HTs and wrote somewhere in his blog (I didn't find the actual post about touring with them) that he found them way too heavy for more than short sidecountry stuff.
This is where the author said something about putting Dukes on Huge Trouble (http://kootenayskier.wordpress.com/2009/02/08/rossland-range-update/).
Otherwise, I will be the next guy to put heavy AT bindings on the wrong skis. But I'm working hard at the gym for that .post #9 of 2112/2/10 at 9:09amWell, you're not crazy. IMO, YMMV
makes me think that the camber and the width are the primary difficulty. Do you find yourself bending forward a lot when you do make them "sort of work"?post #10 of 2112/2/10 at 9:29amThread Starterpost #11 of 2112/2/10 at 7:03pmThread Starterpost #12 of 2112/3/10 at 6:33pmpost #13 of 2112/3/10 at 6:50pmpost #14 of 2112/3/10 at 7:49pmThread Starterpost #15 of 2112/3/10 at 7:57pm
Not the SS steel ones you'd want. Nick doesn't want me to. (I have a private stash, however.)The installation is very straight forward and really increases options and can save you binding costs, along with transport convenience, ie flying.post #16 of 2112/3/10 at 8:34pmThread Starterpost #17 of 2112/3/10 at 9:21pmpost #18 of 2112/4/10 at 6:18ampost #19 of 2112/4/10 at 6:57ampost #20 of 2112/4/10 at 9:25pm
Hey guys - I was just chatting with Terry over email, and he hipped me to this thread.
I'm the guy behind bindingfreedom, dynadukes, ect.
I won't have threaded inserts in stock until early January - BUT - I always recommend mounting the bindings traditionally before drilling for inserts (no good drilling a 1/4" hole in the wrong place!). I'd say, mount the dukes on the HT and go touring - you'll probably end up on them all the time anyway. If you end up jonesing for the praxis later, you can always install inserts in both skis for a 20 spot per pair and have the freedom to ski either.
Edited by jondrums - 12/5/10 at 10:38ampost #21 of 2112/13/10 at 11:16amThread Starter
So I have been on the huge a few days at the resort and also for a half day tour. Ski nice with the dukes in the resort. I prefer a flatter binding on this type of ski but its not realyl a big deal. For touring, the huge is very heavy. But the neutral camber makes so much more sense than the fully rockered praxis for skinning and it skis great on the way down. Just need to get stronger and get out on them more.
I will probabbly end up adding some sort of inserts to both skis.
- Touring on Huge trouble bad idea?
- Salomon Ski Boots
- › Has anyone Waterproofed their Clothes ?? (Did it work ?) 4 minutes ago
- › Waxing tips and removing rust from leaving in roof box too wet? 8 minutes ago
- › MA my bump skiing 14 minutes ago
- › Taos Ski Valley 2016-2017 Ski, Stoke, Weather 22 minutes ago
- › Anyone still ski and love vintage equipment? 25 minutes ago
- › FS: Minty Elan Spectrum 105 ALU With Salomon STH2 13'S, 180cm,... 28 minutes ago
- › Can anyone recommend a real boot fitter in SE Florida? 32 minutes ago
- › Real advice on skis in the 100-110 waist 32 minutes ago
- › Nordica Patron 185 too long? 33 minutes ago
- › Stockli Laser SC: a ski everyone who takes their skiing seriously... 34 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview