I have decided that I just don't like touring on my praxis. Should I move the dukes to the huge instead?
Related Forum Threads
- For tonight's swap - how to visually tell junior from adult bindings? Last post on 11/2/14 at 9:04pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Knee Bindings, 2011-2012, User Reviews Last post on 10/6/12 at 10:01am in Member Gear Reviews
- Expand metatarsal buckle on Dalbello boss ID? Last post on 11/10/11 at 6:34am in Ski Gear Discussion
- Which DIY Liner Heat Molding Technique is Best? Last post on 11/26/14 at 1:10pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Ski boot drying Last post on 11/9/11 at 5:36am in Ski Gear Discussion
2016 Lange Buyers Guide
Last edited: 8/4/16
- Salomon Ski BootsLast edited: 8/4/16
- Keep Your Feet WarmLast edited: 9/7/12
- The Birdcage Boot Experiment By David MacphailLast edited: 12/15/12
- Rental Ski Boot SizingLast edited: 4/19/11
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Touring on Huge trouble bad idea?post #1 of 2112/1/10 at 3:28pmThread Starterpost #2 of 2112/1/10 at 4:12pm
This guy (http://kootenayskier.wordpress.com/2009/01/19/big-trouble/) put touring bindings on the HTs and wrote somewhere in his blog (I didn't find the actual post about touring with them) that he found them way too heavy for more than short sidecountry stuff.post #3 of 2112/1/10 at 9:35pmpost #4 of 2112/2/10 at 7:26ampost #5 of 2112/2/10 at 8:03amThread Starter
I am not looking for an outside te box solution. Its touing on hudge wiht dukes vs. touring on praxis with dukes. I am not buying new skis or new bindings. My boots are not techfittings and I am not spending more on new boots and bindings at this point.
Dukes are mandatory beucase I will use them for primarily inbounds with alpine boots. And some touring as well.
I don't think the praxis tour well. They are slow on run outs and I cannot skate in them. many of the tours in logan have long approach so this stuff matters. Also they have a limited contact patch for skinning on an established track. I think the huge will be better. Am I crazy?post #6 of 2112/2/10 at 8:19amThe "slow on runouts" I would have expected, the "limited contact patch for skinning in-track" was obvious, the "cannot skate in them" was not expected.
Is it a question of "can't find the big toe edge because of the sidecut" or "can't get hips over far enough to get high edge" or "can't find the big toe edge because of the camber" or is it "it hurts my knees/ankles to work this hard"?post #7 of 2112/2/10 at 8:29amThread Starter
Well there is reverse side cut. And no camber. They sort of work if I have my legs splayed out very wide, but in practice roads / snowmobile tracks are not that wide so it doesn't work.post #8 of 2112/2/10 at 8:48amQuote:Originally Posted by TallSkinnyGuy
This guy (http://kootenayskier.wordpress.com/2009/01/19/big-trouble/) put touring bindings on the HTs and wrote somewhere in his blog (I didn't find the actual post about touring with them) that he found them way too heavy for more than short sidecountry stuff.
This is where the author said something about putting Dukes on Huge Trouble (http://kootenayskier.wordpress.com/2009/02/08/rossland-range-update/).
Otherwise, I will be the next guy to put heavy AT bindings on the wrong skis. But I'm working hard at the gym for that .post #9 of 2112/2/10 at 9:09amWell, you're not crazy. IMO, YMMV
makes me think that the camber and the width are the primary difficulty. Do you find yourself bending forward a lot when you do make them "sort of work"?post #10 of 2112/2/10 at 9:29amThread Starterpost #11 of 2112/2/10 at 7:03pmThread Starterpost #12 of 2112/3/10 at 6:33pmpost #13 of 2112/3/10 at 6:50pmpost #14 of 2112/3/10 at 7:49pmThread Starterpost #15 of 2112/3/10 at 7:57pm
Not the SS steel ones you'd want. Nick doesn't want me to. (I have a private stash, however.)The installation is very straight forward and really increases options and can save you binding costs, along with transport convenience, ie flying.post #16 of 2112/3/10 at 8:34pmThread Starterpost #17 of 2112/3/10 at 9:21pmpost #18 of 2112/4/10 at 6:18ampost #19 of 2112/4/10 at 6:57ampost #20 of 2112/4/10 at 9:25pm
Hey guys - I was just chatting with Terry over email, and he hipped me to this thread.
I'm the guy behind bindingfreedom, dynadukes, ect.
I won't have threaded inserts in stock until early January - BUT - I always recommend mounting the bindings traditionally before drilling for inserts (no good drilling a 1/4" hole in the wrong place!). I'd say, mount the dukes on the HT and go touring - you'll probably end up on them all the time anyway. If you end up jonesing for the praxis later, you can always install inserts in both skis for a 20 spot per pair and have the freedom to ski either.
Edited by jondrums - 12/5/10 at 10:38ampost #21 of 2112/13/10 at 11:16amThread Starter
So I have been on the huge a few days at the resort and also for a half day tour. Ski nice with the dukes in the resort. I prefer a flatter binding on this type of ski but its not realyl a big deal. For touring, the huge is very heavy. But the neutral camber makes so much more sense than the fully rockered praxis for skinning and it skis great on the way down. Just need to get stronger and get out on them more.
I will probabbly end up adding some sort of inserts to both skis.
- Touring on Huge trouble bad idea?
- Salomon Ski Boots
- › NOAA Winter Outlook issued 3 minutes ago
- › 87 degree side edge too much for park? 13 minutes ago
- › Winter Park 4 pack lift tickets? 28 minutes ago
- › Help me analyse some of my turns? 32 minutes ago
- › Which model intuition? 52 minutes ago
- › FS: 2015 Fischer motive 95 (180 cm) + Look Pivot 12 1 hour, 38 minutes ago
- › ski signs trail marking 1 hour, 44 minutes ago
- › Cross country skiing, colorful (base layer) clothing 1 hour, 45 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 1 hour, 52 minutes ago
- › Best Budget Skiing in North America? 2 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer