OK, here's the story:
- I'm 5-8/172cm, 185, 40 years old, 30 years skiing.
- Not into bumps but can get down any hill in a resort even if I have to crawl.
- Adore pow and wandering in the trees. I'll ski on gooey powder slop leftovers at the edge of groomers all day long.
- I'm terrible in powder with the Snowranger. Useless.
- I'm a DIN 7-8
- Boots are older Rossignol, fit perfectly, next step down in stiffness from their racing model of that year. I like them this way.
- Groomers/piste I ride Volkl Snowranger (last year they made them) in a 190, Fritchie AT - way taller than me. Fast, tons of control, super stable. I love this ski.
- Learned to powder ski on Atomic Powder Cruise 170 (later called the Deep Powder). Easy, no sidecut (too old), and when tuned I can shred on-piste with them. They feel too short.
- Also have Volkl Sanouk 193 powder skis, Fritchie AT bindings. Like the Gotama but massssssive. Fun but exhausting after a day of heli. Too big for sane tree work. The tops are thin and feels like they are actually floppy on groomers.
- I usually ski Tahoe, sometimes making trips to Whistler.
So I want to replace both of those powder skis with one new one. I don't know if I want sidecut. I want to be able to ride a resort all day with pals, but to be adroit at cutting into the trees to ski crap that only powder boards can do. I want them to be WIDE. I can shred a wide ski. I think I want 180 or so, because I want stability to bomb flats and go farther than anyone else when traversing. Who likes to walk?
I don't know what I should get and don't have time to demo.
- LIGHT weight. I'll sacrifice other things to get the lightest ski.
- NO twin tips. I hate them, don't use them, and am sloppy so they mess me up. A little rise is good but I don't jump or stomp fakie and I can ski backwards on groomers on a traditional flat-ended ski.
- Ideally not made in China or low-wage country.
- To mount with Diamir Fritchie AT bindings.
- Stiff enough to go fast and do quick turns on groomers.
- Not impossible in bumps. I like to get through bumps and have really never enjoyed them. Those Atomic Powder Cruise skis are so fat, sharp, straight-edged and *heavy* that I can blast through a lot of junk and mangle soft bumps to conform to my descent.
- Integrated skin system would be super cool!
- WHY isn't WEIGHT listed in some ski specs?! I know it has to go by size, but they do that for other things in specs anyway.
I've skied the K2 Pontoon in powder. If I know I'll get fresh tracks all day, I'll rent a set. I'll own a set someday from the used market. Best powder days I've ever had have been on those. They are useless anywhere else, though. I hate going back to change skis!
I've so far kind of narrowed it down to Atomic Charter. It's a touring ski, though, and that may miss some of my points, right? I don't skin around very much, mostly lacking for pals to do it with. (Snowboarders don't have the patience and hike up weird lines.) Would 176 be long enough? Will these things disappoint me on groomers, which sometimes I ski all weekend long? Though you can get a much wider ski they are about the same as my old Powder Cruise. I like width. The 176 length is probably fine but I'd hate to feel they were too short. Ah, there's the weight: 1710g. Are they twin tip?
Maybe the Atomic Atlas is better? The weight isn't listed. They are definitely fatter. I can't tell if they're twin tip, grr.
Then there's K2. Darkside? Lots of sidecut, super wide. Much heavier than the Charter, but hey, width! The skin integration is rad, though. I reckon I'd try 181 rather than 174 feels like it'll be short. Lots of sidecut though... And the Rocker. Will they be awful on groomers? Ok, on full groomer days, I'll run the Snowranger, so that's not a HUGE problem. But I can't handle the mess that the Pontoon is on crud and even groomers.
Overall I wonder about going AT vs pure powder and could use tutoring in that. And other brand recommendations are swell! I saw a Line ski I liked but it was made in China.
Thanks VERY much in advance!
- 61 Posts. Joined 11/2010
- Select All Posts By This User