Hello good people. I've been lurking around these forums for some years now, but now that I'm travelling to the States to (hopefully) experience American powder, I turn to you for advice.
A friend and myself, both hailing from Norway, are arriving in SLC in the beginning of January. We are planning to ski a selection of resorts around SLC and spend some days skiing at JHMR. As we have done thorough research everything is pretty much dialed in, however we can't decide where to go first. Ideally, this would be decided just a couple of days before arriving according the where the conditions are better, but deciding this late might become unnecessarily expensive or even mean that we can't get anywhere to stay.
Having googled around and searched several forums I can't find any good advice on the internet, so I was wondering if anyone here feel like sharing their experience regarding the general room availability in Teton Village or SLC in mid January? Should we decide and book now playing it safe (the conditions will probably be similar?) or is the risk of late booking too big? We are planning to stay at Hostel X in Teton Village and some Motel 6 in downtown SLC, and will have a 4x4 rental car.
Reading various reports about the early season conditions, it seems like we chose a good year for our first UT/WY trip..! We're counting the days until departure.
We will be very thankful for any help, thanks!