New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

6 weeks before ski trip

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

I have about six weeks before my ski trip out west. Last year when I went I was somewhat in shape and I almost killed myself in the pnw cement. This year I'm even more out of shape so my question is, what should I do to get in shape for this years trip?

post #2 of 19

drink powerman 4000. eat powerbars all day long.

post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcase View Post

 pnw cement.


That's not going to be there this year.  You should be set.

post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcase View Post

 pnw cement.


That's not going to be there this year.  You should be set.


Oh well in that case I guess I'll stick to working out my butt on the couch.

post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcase View Post

Oh well in that case I guess I'll stick to working out my butt on the couch.


 

Yes, um, great idea. popcorn.gif

 

OR, you could start to...what's that expression again...work out. Just sayin'. Start moving that arse, so that when you do get to your vacation, your legs don't feel like Greek pillars on day 2.

 

Elsbeth

post #6 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaino View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcase View Post

Oh well in that case I guess I'll stick to working out my butt on the couch.


 

Yes, um, great idea. popcorn.gif

 

OR, you could start to...what's that expression again...work out. Just sayin'. Start moving that arse, so that when you do get to your vacation, your legs don't feel like Greek pillars on day 2.

 

Elsbeth



Some people just don't understand sarcasm I guess...

post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcase View Post


Some people just don't understand sarcasm I guess...


in which case, its called sarchasm. ;)

 

apologies for not pickin' that up - but tone's tough to get on the interweb from someone i've never met...just sayin'... 

 

scroll down below a few threads and you'll find some training suggestions.

 

post #8 of 19

Fix your diet and lose weight, it's harder but will yield more results in 6 weeks unless you really execute a perfectly designed fitness program (since you have no time to waste and can't afford 1-2 weeks of intense soreness usually associated with starting at zero).

post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 

I don't need to lose weight. I'm 6'1 and 160. If I lost weight it would be dangerous hah. I'll take another look around.

post #10 of 19

 

here is a link for your diet

 

http://whole9life.com/category/whole-30/

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcase View Post

I don't need to lose weight. I'm 6'1 and 160. If I lost weight it would be dangerous hah. I'll take another look around.



Shameless plug here, but I've got a specific training program for skiing here: http://www.customstrength.com/skiprogram.html

 

It's intended to be a 12 week program, but can be done in 9. So in 6 weeks you could be 2/3 of the way through and in pretty good shape for your trip. 

 

Elsbeth

post #12 of 19



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcase View Post

I don't need to lose weight. I'm 6'1 and 160. If I lost weight it would be dangerous hah. I'll take another look around.



 Oops, sorry, for some reason I assumed overweight when I read about couch sitting. If anything you need to gain weight :). If I could train you personally I would have you lifting weight 3X a week with the following exercises: squatting, shoulder pressing, deadlifting and bench pressing, and 3 conditioning sessions a week consisting of hill sprints, one distance run or interval session and DB complexes. I would also tell you to eat a lot of food (Whole30 is good health wise, but hard to gain weight on) and rest well.

post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
 Oops, sorry, for some reason I assumed overweight when I read about couch sitting. If anything you need to gain weight :). If I could train you personally I would have you lifting weight 3X a week with the following exercises: squatting, shoulder pressing, deadlifting and bench pressing, and 3 conditioning sessions a week consisting of hill sprints, one distance run or interval session and DB complexes. I would also tell you to eat a lot of food (Whole30 is good health wise, but hard to gain weight on) and rest well.


Two pushes and no pulls?

 

Elsbeth

post #14 of 19



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaino View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
 Oops, sorry, for some reason I assumed overweight when I read about couch sitting. If anything you need to gain weight :). If I could train you personally I would have you lifting weight 3X a week with the following exercises: squatting, shoulder pressing, deadlifting and bench pressing, and 3 conditioning sessions a week consisting of hill sprints, one distance run or interval session and DB complexes. I would also tell you to eat a lot of food (Whole30 is good health wise, but hard to gain weight on) and rest well.


Two pushes and no pulls?

 

Elsbeth


 

Ooops, forgot pull-ups. I'd consider deadlifting a pull. I would say add cleans/power-cleans if the trainee is willing to learn them (I think explosive change of direction from the hips has some transference to aggressive skiing/racing on hard snow). Was just a general idea of exercises that could be useful.

post #15 of 19


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
Ooops, forgot pull-ups. I'd consider deadlifting a pull. I would say add cleans/power-cleans if the trainee is willing to learn them (I think explosive change of direction from the hips has some transference to aggressive skiing/racing on hard snow). Was just a general idea of exercises that could be useful.


That's better. :) Deadlifts are a pull, but a lower body pull. I know you were giving a general suggestion, but I think it was an important correction. Skiers spend a lot of time in flexion, so it's really important that they get at least 1:1 upper pulls to pushes. 

 

Elsbeth

post #16 of 19

Beer and pizza diet will add the pounds. Leg presses as well as some hill-climbing on a mt. bike 'til your head hurts and you spit up flem. Box jumping if you can stand it.

I AM serious about all these elements.

Get to work!

post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaino View Post


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
Ooops, forgot pull-ups. I'd consider deadlifting a pull. I would say add cleans/power-cleans if the trainee is willing to learn them (I think explosive change of direction from the hips has some transference to aggressive skiing/racing on hard snow). Was just a general idea of exercises that could be useful.


That's better. :) Deadlifts are a pull, but a lower body pull. I know you were giving a general suggestion, but I think it was an important correction. Skiers spend a lot of time in flexion, so it's really important that they get at least 1:1 upper pulls to pushes. 

 

Elsbeth


Good point about the flexion. What other types of pulls do you find useful for skiers? I like dumb bell rows (more than BB rows), cable face pulls (good for countering bench pressing) and maybe low cable rows? To be honest we don't really do any of those at the gym I go to, mosty deadlifts, cleans/snatches, pull-ups and some ring work. And a lot of C2 rowing.

post #18 of 19

Buy P90X, do the Classic routine, or use it to do something ski specific, like this  http://www.decidetostayfit.com/blog/customize-p90x-for-skiing-put-together-a-short-training-cycle

 

post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramboh View Post

Good point about the flexion. What other types of pulls do you find useful for skiers? I like dumb bell rows (more than BB rows), cable face pulls (good for countering bench pressing) and maybe low cable rows? To be honest we don't really do any of those at the gym I go to, mosty deadlifts, cleans/snatches, pull-ups and some ring work. And a lot of C2 rowing.


I like DB rows too - typically single arm ones to get a rotational core effect as well. Love one arm cable pulls too - I like them at rib height vs low cable though. I also like inverted rows. And of course pull ups are awesome. 

 

Elsbeth

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: