EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Summit County CO vs. Winter Park/Mary Jane - which is less crowded around Xmas-New Years
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Summit County CO vs. Winter Park/Mary Jane - which is less crowded around Xmas-New Years

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Looking for any info. on crowds at Keystone/Breck/Vail/Beaver Creek vs. Winter Park for the week between Xmas and New years.

 

We ski Summit County each Spring Break, but I'm thinking about tripping it to CO this Xmas-New Years.  Can't decide if  we want to do the 4 Summit County resorts or Winter Park.   We're all upper intermediates/advanced skiers, wife doesn't ski though (she doesn't make the Spring Break trip, but will be coming along for this one.).  We love Blue Sky at Vail, but we had good time at Winter Park a few years ago.   So what does the hive think?

post #2 of 14

FWIW,  if I was making a trip from out of state,  I'd opt for a less crowded ski area such as Crested Butte or possibly Steamboat.  If forced to choose between the two mentioned,  I'd opt for Summit Co just because of more variety.

 

AM.

post #3 of 14

If you want to minimize crowds, then I'd go to Winter Park or Copper.  The resorts covered by the Colorado/Epic Pass will be covered up in people.  Last XMAS break had over 23k visitors to Breckenridge on a single day.  Vail Resorts has won the season pass war, and I predict that those resorts will be jam packed at Christmas.

 

Mike

post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attacking Mid View Post

FWIW,  if I was making a trip from out of state,  I'd opt for a less crowded ski area such as Crested Butte or possibly Steamboat.  If forced to choose between the two mentioned,  I'd opt for Summit Co just because of more variety.

 

AM.

That's what I was thinking as well. I don't think you could pick two more crowded places to ski than WP and Summit/Eagle County (not in the Rockies anyway). And if you're traveling from out of state anyway, go to a resort that doesn't have the crowds whether that be in Colorado or elsewhere.
 

Given your timeframe, I'd go for someplace even less crowded than Attacking Mid suggests--maybe Monarch or Loveland? Never actually skied those, but I know they're lower profile and not such big-draw destination resorts, so I'd imagine they don't have the crowds of the others. I lived in Steamboat for a couple of years and unless it was a great powder day, I tried to skip skiing between Xmas and New Year's.

post #5 of 14

Think about staying in Glenwood Springs.  Then you could ski Sunlight, Aspen area's and Vail/Beaver Creek.  

post #6 of 14

 

Quote:
 I don't think you could pick two more crowded places to ski than WP and Summit/Eagle County (not in the Rockies anyway). And if you're traveling from out of state anyway, go to a resort that doesn't have the crowds whether that be in Colorado or elsewhere.
 

 Agree 100%.  The Glenwood Springs suggestion is a good one, assuming you're committed to flying to Denver..

 

Spring breaks vary by state and even by different schools (particularly colleges) within a state.  So the vacations are distributed among several weeks in March/April.  Summit County usually a good choice in that time frame, but not at Christmas when the crowds are much more concentrated.

post #7 of 14

For what it's worth, about a half dozen years ago I skied Loveland on Dec 23 and 24.  It had good snow, low crowds and low prices making for a great visit. Same trip I skied Winter Park on Dec 26 and it was more crowded, but not so bad that we didn't have a very nice visit. I made a mental note that we never waited more than one minute in a lift line that day at WP.  On Christmas Day itself we went to church and then ice skating at pretty Evergreen Lake Park.

We did a sort of anti-resort thing that vacation and here's my old report on it:  http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=281&mode=headlines

post #8 of 14

I stand by my assessment that WP will have lower traffic than the Vail Resorts.  Copper will as well.  That being said, it is high season, but that generally is after (as opposed to before) Christmas day.

 

Mike

post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs View Post
 We're all upper intermediates/advanced skiers, wife doesn't ski though (she doesn't make the Spring Break trip, but will be coming along for this one.).

If your wife would prefer to join you out on the slopes,  I can have her on intermediate slopes in half a day at Winter Park if she knows how to ride a bicycle.  No falling required.  Winter Park has a giant fleet of them.  They are allowed everywhere but the terrain parks.

470_705251.jpg

 

How to ride a traditional "foot ski' ski bike

 

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/ski-biking-rides-high-in-popularity/6k2zoiv

post #10 of 14

I've not experience WP/MJ during that week but I have skiied Summit County the past few years during that week.  One little secret is that the morning of New Year's Day is pretty dead so if you can get out early the crowds aren't bad at all.

 

As for lines in general, I like Breck.  Get to the lifts when the chairs open and avoid the base of Peak 8 and 9.  The high alpine, T-Bar, Imperial 6 and E chairs hardly ever have more than a chair or two wait.  If you venture over to Peak 10 you'll see some lines but in general it is more of a 4 or 5 chair wait and frankly at this early in the season, my legs need that little break.

 

Our general touring scheme is Gondola to the base of 7 for warm up.  Ski a few laps on Peak 7 and then move towards 8.  If the T-bar is open then great take that but if it is not (and it often isn't at that hour) then ski runs on 8 and then 9 to move across the mountain working our way over to 10.  After having fun on 10 work on Chair 6 and hopefully Imperial if it open.

post #11 of 14

Go to Aspen.  Ski Highlands and Snowmass.

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmascolino View Post

I've not experience WP/MJ during that week but I have skiied Summit County the past few years during that week.  One little secret is that the morning of New Year's Day is pretty dead so if you can get out early the crowds aren't bad at all.

 

As for lines in general, I like Breck.  Get to the lifts when the chairs open and avoid the base of Peak 8 and 9.  The high alpine, T-Bar, Imperial 6 and E chairs hardly ever have more than a chair or two wait.  If you venture over to Peak 10 you'll see some lines but in general it is more of a 4 or 5 chair wait and frankly at this early in the season, my legs need that little break.

 

Our general touring scheme is Gondola to the base of 7 for warm up.  Ski a few laps on Peak 7 and then move towards 8.  If the T-bar is open then great take that but if it is not (and it often isn't at that hour) then ski runs on 8 and then 9 to move across the mountain working our way over to 10.  After having fun on 10 work on Chair 6 and hopefully Imperial if it open.


At Christmas, you are sorely mistaken my friend.  In fact, virtually any weekend that the 6 chair, T-bar, Imperial chair, or E chair are open there will be a line longer than a chair or two wait.  In fact, the wait at these conveyances on the weekend will most likely be at least a 10 minute wait, and much longer than that during Christmas break.

 

Not to disparage Breck -- it is my favorite place to ski in Summit County.  However, at Christmas you'll be much happier going somewhere else, like Aspen.

post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 

It's looking like Winter Park will have to do.  Now to find a decent place to stay at a reasonable price.

 

One other question though... how much of Winter Park will be open the last week of Dec?  I just checked the trails status and Parsenn Bowl is closed, except for Primrose.

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs View Post

It's looking like Winter Park will have to do.  Now to find a decent place to stay at a reasonable price.

 

One other question though... how much of Winter Park will be open the last week of Dec?  I just checked the trails status and Parsenn Bowl is closed, except for Primrose.


The whole mountain is getting pretty close to open.  That is very rare for early season skiing.  These are the best opening conditions in over 10 years.  December is way early season for skiing.  Come in Feb-Mar for the best. The mountain opens according to Mother Nature.

 

My own takes on budget living in Winter Park.  There are lots of specials out there for Winter Park.  Gary said on Saturday that they were going to keep rolling them out on a regular basis.

How to get discount ski lift tickets to Winter Park Resort

Budget ski vacation in Winter Park, CO

How to Save Money at Winter Park Resort During the Ski Season

The best independent coffee shops in Winter Park, CO

Hotel Review: The Rocky Mountain Inn & Hostel in Winter Park, Colorado

The Top 3 Bars in Winter Park, Colorado for Nightlife

The Best Places to Eat Breakfast in Winter Park, Colorado

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Summit County CO vs. Winter Park/Mary Jane - which is less crowded around Xmas-New Years