EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Need ski suggestions, going from 7 year old Salomon TenEighty's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need ski suggestions, going from 7 year old Salomon TenEighty's

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

So I've skied the heck out of my salomon teneighty's for 7 years now, and there's not much left in them.  I demoed a few pairs last season and found all of them heavy and slower to turn than my current pair, but I'm guessing the move from park/pipe (which I rarely used them for) skis to all-mountain will have a bit more weight.

 

- 6'2", 205 lbs

- ski mostly the northeast (with random trips out west)

- ski everything from groomers to bumps and trees

- current skis are salomon 1080, 171cm

 

 

- want a light/quick go-anywhere ski (looking at 2009-2010 models)

- i don't race and don't ever plan to, but it's always fun to keep up with/beat your friends (and be stable at speed)

 

I was looking at something like the K2 Apache Crossfire, probably in the lower 180's (slightly bigger than what I ski now), maybe the Apache Recon as well.  Rossignol Classic 80 (TI) also looks promising.

 

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions, thanks!


Edited by glacious - 11/23/10 at 11:40am
post #2 of 15

Odd ski for the NE, but anyway, if you like that feel, suggest you look around for a pair of Sollie Fury's from the last few years. Incidentally, your 1080's are too short for you...go up into the 180's, whatever you get. 

post #3 of 15


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacious View Post I'm guessing the move from park/pipe (which I rarely used them for) skis to all-mountain will have a bit more weight.

 


That's strange.  I always considered park/pipe skis to be more capable all-mountain skis than skis like Apaches and the like.  Since park skis have a simple effective construction free of gimmicks, turned up tails, and come in all shapes and sizes, it seems they would be the more capable all mountain ski. 

post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 


eh the 1080's have held up well for my skiing in the NE, spent the last 3 years skiing Tahoe, now I'm back in the NE again.  The Fury's seem like a great ski, great reviews, but not made this year by Salomon?  Maybe one of their new X-Wing names like the X-Wing 8 (which only goes up to a 176).

 

My 2003 Salomon teneighty's are 171, not 178 like I said above.  Going from 171 --> 184 (their biggest size in Fury from 2009) might be a big step up in size but i'm down for it.  They're also only another 100grams or so heavier than the 1080's.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

Odd ski for the NE, but anyway, if you like that feel, suggest you look around for a pair of Sollie Fury's from the last few years. Incidentally, your 1080's are too short for you...go up into the 180's, whatever you get. 


 

 

As for Park/Pipe skis being the best all-mountain, I guess I've been in that school of thought for 7 years.  The whole "all-mountain" category seems very general to begin with.

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 

can't figure out what the 2010-11 model is of the Fury's.  Maybe they just stopped making them.

 

Just need a great one-ski quiver before these 7 year old skis give out on me.

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post
That's strange.  I always considered park/pipe skis to be more capable all-mountain skis than skis like Apaches and the like.  Since park skis have a simple effective construction free of gimmicks, turned up tails, and come in all shapes and sizes, it seems they would be the more capable all mountain ski. 


Hmm. My limited experience with true park skis is that they tend to have fairly soft tips and tails for buttering that make them nice in bumps or low speed stuff, but not real effective carving up hardpack or hitting crud at any velocity. But I know directional fatter twins like the Extreme and Wall have a following for all mountain. 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by glacious View Post

can't figure out what the 2010-11 model is of the Fury's.  Maybe they just stopped making them.

 

Just need a great one-ski quiver before these 7 year old skis give out on me.


Yeah, they did stop making them, and possibility the old models are gone. The Enduro is same size roughly, but appears to be a lot stiffer and beefier, more of a AC50 type. If you like a lighter feel, I'd say either the Tornado Ti, which will rip back east, probably the 80 waist in your length, or some competitors like the Nordica Burner/Jet Fuel CA in 180 whatever, Blizzard 8.7 Magnum (you could settle on the 174 there, very beefy ski). 

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the tips Beyond.  at 6'2" 205 lbs I just want to make sure the ski can support me, but light enough to still have fun in.  I don't do jumps, but trees/bumps I always enjoy.  at 171 now, maybe lower 180's will work for this next pair.  Twin tips aren't necessary as I never used them for their intended use (park/pipe).  Just enjoyed them as they were small/light.

post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 

So I've done some more research and found some skis that may fit what I want (all mountain, northeast, bumps & trees, fun and light for 6'2" 205):

 

Nomad Crimson Ti

K2 Apache Recon

K2 Apache Xplorer (bit wider, looks very very similar to Recon)

Sultan 85

Salomon Fury  (look to be no longer made or under a new name)

 

Ill most likely be going from my current 171cm to upper 170's or lower 180's.  Let me know if anyone has experience with these skis (I'll be buying last year's model), or any suggestions to compare them against eachother.

 

Thanks again!


Edited by glacious - 12/1/10 at 11:47am
post #9 of 15
Sultan 85 or volkl bridge
post #10 of 15


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glacious View Post

So I've done some more research and found some skis that may fit what I want (all mountain, northeast, bumps & trees, fun and light for 6'2" 205):

 

Nomad Crimson Ti

K2 Apache Recon

K2 Apache Xplorer (bit wider, looks very very similar to Recon)

Sultan 85

Salomon Fury  (look to be no longer made or under a new name)

 

Ill most likely be going from my current 171cm to upper 170's or lower 180's.  Let me know if anyone has experience with these skis (I'll be buying last year's model), or any suggestions to compare them against eachother.

 

Thanks again!


If you fancy the Fury, you have hit on the the closest thing currently available with the Crimson Ti. While it is dimensionally a little different, this is very very close to the same build as the last model of Fury. The Sultan is also a great choice.

 

SJ

post #11 of 15

and if you fancy good advice  ^^^^SJ^^^^ knows more than all of us.

post #12 of 15

Well, you must have got your money's worth out of the 1080's.  My wife and son both still ski the same year/model that you have, and I haven't talked them out of them yet.

 

If you're looking for a really good deal, LevelNineSports still has some twin tip Head Mojo 90's.  I think that might give you the same 'feel' and pop of the 1080's, and with wood core construction they'll stay fun for a good long while.

post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDog View Post

Well, you must have got your money's worth out of the 1080's.  My wife and son both still ski the same year/model that you have, and I haven't talked them out of them yet.

 

If you're looking for a really good deal, LevelNineSports still has some twin tip Head Mojo 90's.  I think that might give you the same 'feel' and pop of the 1080's, and with wood core construction they'll stay fun for a good long while.


Fun is exactly what I'm looking for.  I ski with all types of crowds (slow, cruisers, glade/bump lovers, people that just rip down the mountain) and enjoy it regardless.  I like the ability to cruise down the mountain on something stable (at a good speed or even slow if teaching somoene).  Being about to just turn around and ski backwards for the fun of it, knowing I can maneuver well in the trees, and even handle some powder on the very few days I am blessed with it, is awesome.  I don't do jumps or tricks (which seems to be the main crowd of the twin-tip).  I'll get some air every once in a while, but I'm not doing backflips or 1080's (regardless of my current ski's name)

post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post


If you fancy the Fury, you have hit on the the closest thing currently available with the Crimson Ti. While it is dimensionally a little different, this is very very close to the same build as the last model of Fury. The Sultan is also a great choice.

 

SJ


 

Thanks SJ for the great insight, this is exactly why I'm here.  Crimson T1 (last year / 2010 model) I can snag for around $500 or so + another $150 for bindings probably (any suggestions here for the Crimsons? I see them paired with XTO 12 some places))  I'll most likely go from 171cm up to 178-183 range, but I sort of like having them a bit shorter than what any "chart" may dictate, just more fun it seems.

 

Crimson Ti (2010):  128/86/114

1080 (2003):  114/80/108

 

so it'll be a slightly wider ski, but nothing too crazy.  Maybe I'll splurge and get the 2011's /w bindings for $950 :)  I get my years out of them...  I just hope they will handle similar to the 1080's, still let me ski backwards, and let me still tear through trees and have a stable edge in the unpredictable New England mountains.

 

Thanks again!

post #15 of 15

You can always buy them from SJ (assuming he has them) at the Start haus in Truckee in appreciation.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Need ski suggestions, going from 7 year old Salomon TenEighty's