or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Race stock Women gs 183 cm r24 too soft for male 183 lb (83 kg)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Race stock Women gs 183 cm r24 too soft for male 183 lb (83 kg)?

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

I'm looking to buy a race stock  for ripping groomers on hard packed days. Does any one on this forum has experience of a 183 cm gs women ski? If so, what was your weight?

A male 190 cm with r>27 ski, probobly having a to large radius for beeing practical when not racing?

 

post #2 of 16
Womens GS skis work fine for me. I only weigh 140 lbs.

IMHO GS skis are not practical unless the mountain is almost empty. You really have to go stupid fast to make them come to life. At my local mountain (Puragatory), the minimum speed for fun on a GS ski is about the maximum speed the safety marshals will allow. I don't like flirting with getting my pass pulled just to make my skis work. Furthermore, on an average western groomer, I will almost always boot out before reaching the potential of the ski.

If you live where the groomers are icy, I think a 13m SL ski will be more practical and fun. If your groomers are softer, you should look for something a little wider than a race ski (75mm - 85mm waist) and a radius of 15m - 18m. That's where I think the sweet spot is for "ripping groomers".
post #3 of 16

Skis only react to how much you weigh, how fast you ski, and how tight you turn.  If you weigh the same as the women and make the same turns they do at the same speeds they do, you should have a lot of fun on the same skis they are using.

post #4 of 16

I'm not gonna ask you what you think of SG skis.devil.gif

 

Put a GPS in your jacket pocket and check your track logs at the end of the day.  If your averaging more than 30 mph, and you are on slaloms, you are most likely making gs turns on a sl ski.  Things are better when you use the right tool for the job.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroEric View Post

Womens GS skis work fine for me. I only weigh 140 lbs.

IMHO GS skis are not practical unless the mountain is almost empty. You really have to go stupid fast to make them come to life. At my local mountain (Puragatory), the minimum speed for fun on a GS ski is about the maximum speed the safety marshals will allow. I don't like flirting with getting my pass pulled just to make my skis work. Furthermore, on an average western groomer, I will almost always boot out before reaching the potential of the ski.

If you live where the groomers are icy, I think a 13m SL ski will be more practical and fun. If your groomers are softer, you should look for something a little wider than a race ski (75mm - 85mm waist) and a radius of 15m - 18m. That's where I think the sweet spot is for "ripping groomers".
 
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thion View Post

A male 190 cm with r>27 ski, probobly having a to large radius for beeing practical when not racing?

 


A 27m men's race stock ski is waaaay too much ski for skiing safely on groomers.  They are more stable and faster than SG's used to be back when I was racing.  I have several pair and I rarely take them out unless I'm specifically skiing runs that are wide, perfectly groomed, empty, and preferably fenced from the trees (ie.a race hill that isn't in use), because they don't even begin to turn properly unless you're hitting speeds of over 40 mph. 

 

Back in the old days, a race stock GS was under 20m (rack GS skis are still around 15-18m) and they made perfect all-round cruisers for the groomers.  Those days are gone, though, and I find there's just too big a jump between a race stock SL and a GS ski.  I wish there was something in the middle to plug the hole.  I haven't tried a women's race stock GS, but it might be the answer.  You might also want to look at a slightly older men's race stock ski, like the Atomic GS11, which has a radius of 21m but is beefier than the current women's race stock ski.  It's still the "real deal" but works better for all-round cruising than the current batch of men's race stock gear.

post #6 of 16

I suggest you take a look at Atomic D2 Race GS.  (radius at 179 is 18.4 m)  It should work well for many groomed locations.

post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

I suggest you take a look at Atomic D2 Race GS.  (radius at 179 is 18.4 m)  It should work well for many groomed locations.



I've been considering the exact same thing lately.

post #8 of 16

I remembered seeing that ski on sale somewhere and here it is - Atomic D2 Race GS with 6-14 binding US $500 shipped free.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Atomic-D2-Race-GS-176cm-2010-Skis-w-Race-614-Bindings-/190470877970?pt=Skiing&hash=item2c58f2f312

post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by exracer View Post
 

 

Back in the old days, a race stock GS was under 20m (rack GS skis are still around 15-18m) and they made perfect all-round cruisers for the groomers.  Those days are gone, though, and I find there's just too big a jump between a race stock SL and a GS ski.

How old to be specific? Do you think a pair of these old fis skis are common or at least exists on ebay or any other site?

 

I read that the old gs skis were like r=25 for men....but I might be wrong?

post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

I suggest you take a look at Atomic D2 Race GS.  (radius at 179 is 18.4 m)  It should work well for many groomed locations.



I would love a pair of these, but I'm on a budget and they are to similar to my newly bought atomic gs 11

176 cm radius=17,5(or somthing). These skis are great but at high speed, they are limiting me. I need more. That's were the race stock ski comes in. I do not wan't the ski to be the limiting factor, but my current skill. I wan't a ski that I will be able to evolve with. 

post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thion View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by exracer View Post
 

 

Back in the old days, a race stock GS was under 20m (rack GS skis are still around 15-18m) and they made perfect all-round cruisers for the groomers.  Those days are gone, though, and I find there's just too big a jump between a race stock SL and a GS ski.

How old to be specific? Do you think a pair of these old fis skis are common or at least exists on ebay or any other site?

 

I read that the old gs skis were like r=25 for men....but I might be wrong?

 

 

Crap.... after being part way through a big reply, I accidentally closed my browser tab.

 

Anyway, the race stock Atomic r>21m FIS GS:11 from 2003 to 2007 should fit the bill for you.  The 2003 (designated GS:11.21 on the tail and simply GS:11 on the tip) is solid red with black graphics and was the year I believe they intro'd the sharkskin textured topskin. The rack versions were 18m, I believe.  Here's a link to what they look like, but the description is wrong where it implies this is the 2005/06 model http://www.skis.com/race-skis/c705/atomic-gs-11-race-skis-p117302.html  I have a pair of these in a 181cm length and they make a really nice all-round high performance cruiser.

 

In 2004 they changed the graphics on the GS:11 but the ski was basically the same r>21m design (rack skis r>18m).  They looked like this http://www.ski-review.com/ski_reviews/review/atomic_gs11_2004/

 

With a little luck you should be able to find a used pair of either of these r>21m versions on the discussion boards or eBay. 

Here's a pair that's currently on eBay, but it's not perfectly clear whether this is the race stock r>21m version.  Although the ad refers to FIS, the fact they have Atomic 614 bindings rather than 1018 bindings makes me wonder.  You'd need to confirm whether these are r>21m with the seller.  His "Buy It Now" price is also high, but he has contact info in the ad so you should be able to negotiate them down to $200 or less, which is a more than fair price for a race stock ski of this vintage. http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Race-05-06-Atomic-GS-11-185cm-/350410585514?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51961935aa

 

The recent crop of r>27m FIS GS skis started in 07/08, and Atomic changed the model designation that year to GS:12.  They also changed the construction from a beta design to sandwich.  Here are the details from the 2008 Atomic race (FIS) catalog http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/atomic-2459/alpine-race-2007-2008-12360/page-4-fullsize.html  The rack skis this year moved up a bit as well to 19m for 180cm and 19.5m for 186cm.  The following year (2009) they changed the graphics to the more familiar white ski with red lettering http://www.ski-depot.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SDO&Product_Code=A085050  I have a pair of these in 191cm length, and the radius is slightly under 30m.  You want to steer clear of these 'bad boys' as they are useless (and dangerous) for free skiing.  Like I said in my earlier post, unless you're on a perfectly groomed,deserted race hill, with fencing to prevent an accidental foray into the trees, there's no point skiing on them. 
 


Edited by exracer - 11/22/10 at 8:09am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by exracer View Post


The recent crop of r>27m FIS GS skis started in 07/08, and Atomic changed the model designation that year to GS:12.  They also changed the construction from a beta design to sandwich.  Here are the details from the 2008 Atomic race (FIS) catalog http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/atomic-2459/alpine-race-2007-2008-12360/page-4-fullsize.html  The rack skis this year moved up a bit as well to 19m for 180cm and 19.5m for 186cm.  The following year (2009) they changed the graphics to the more familiar white ski with red lettering http://www.ski-depot.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SDO&Product_Code=A085050  I have a pair of these in 191cm length, and the radius is slightly under 30m.  You want to steer clear of these 'bad boys' as they are useless (and dangerous) for free skiing.  Like I said in my earlier post, unless you're on a perfectly groomed,deserted race hill, with fencing to prevent an accidental foray into the trees, there's no point skiing on them. 
 

I wouldn't call these useless; they seem like a pretty good high GS speed cruiser to me.   
 

post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by exracer View Post


The recent crop of r>27m FIS GS skis started in 07/08, and Atomic changed the model designation that year to GS:12.  They also changed the construction from a beta design to sandwich.  Here are the details from the 2008 Atomic race (FIS) catalog http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/atomic-2459/alpine-race-2007-2008-12360/page-4-fullsize.html  The rack skis this year moved up a bit as well to 19m for 180cm and 19.5m for 186cm.  The following year (2009) they changed the graphics to the more familiar white ski with red lettering http://www.ski-depot.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SDO&Product_Code=A085050  I have a pair of these in 191cm length, and the radius is slightly under 30m.  You want to steer clear of these 'bad boys' as they are useless (and dangerous) for free skiing.  Like I said in my earlier post, unless you're on a perfectly groomed,deserted race hill, with fencing to prevent an accidental foray into the trees, there's no point skiing on them. 
 

I wouldn't call these useless; they seem like a pretty good high GS speed cruiser to me.   
 

 

When I said useless, I meant unsafe for skiing on runs where there are any other skiers you could potentially run into.  They ski like my old 223 downhill boards.  They start working well when you close in on 50 mph.  The shorter 27m versions are probably a bit better, but I've never tried them. 
 

post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Skis only react to how much you weigh, how fast you ski, and how tight you turn.  If you weigh the same as the women and make the same turns they do at the same speeds they do, you should have a lot of fun on the same skis they are using.



Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that the women in question these days (thinking U.S. Teams) typically weigh in the 130-160 range, more leg muscle than most good male recreational skiers, and probably ski GS within 5-10 mph of the guys on the teams. So seems like it'd be ideal for lighter guys doing recreational racing. Or maybe you didn't mean that pejoratively. Can't tell...wink.gif

 

Anyway, OP, I weigh 160, and so far a women's FIS spec GS works fine for rec racing for me. Put another way, it's still better than I am. (Probably not saying much.)

post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by exracer View Post

 

With a little luck you should be able to find a used pair of either of these r>21m versions on the discussion boards or eBay. 

Here's a pair that's currently on eBay, but it's not perfectly clear whether this is the race stock r>21m version.  Although the ad refers to FIS, the fact they have Atomic 614 bindings rather than 1018 bindings makes me wonder.  You'd need to confirm whether these are r>21m with the seller. 
 


FYI, thion, the seller got back to me and as I suspected these skis are the retail version, not the FIS 21m version.

post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by exracer View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by thion View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by exracer View Post
 

 

Back in the old days, a race stock GS was under 20m (rack GS skis are still around 15-18m) and they made perfect all-round cruisers for the groomers.  Those days are gone, though, and I find there's just too big a jump between a race stock SL and a GS ski.

How old to be specific? Do you think a pair of these old fis skis are common or at least exists on ebay or any other site?

 

I read that the old gs skis were like r=25 for men....but I might be wrong?

 

 

Crap.... after being part way through a big reply, I accidentally closed my browser tab.

 

Anyway, the race stock Atomic r>21m FIS GS:11 from 2003 to 2007 should fit the bill for you.  The 2003 (designated GS:11.21 on the tail and simply GS:11 on the tip) is solid red with black graphics and was the year I believe they intro'd the sharkskin textured topskin. The rack versions were 18m, I believe.  Here's a link to what they look like, but the description is wrong where it implies this is the 2005/06 model http://www.skis.com/race-skis/c705/atomic-gs-11-race-skis-p117302.html  I have a pair of these in a 181cm length and they make a really nice all-round high performance cruiser.

 

In 2004 they changed the graphics on the GS:11 but the ski was basically the same r>21m design (rack skis r>18m).  They looked like this http://www.ski-review.com/ski_reviews/review/atomic_gs11_2004/

 

With a little luck you should be able to find a used pair of either of these r>21m versions on the discussion boards or eBay. 

Here's a pair that's currently on eBay, but it's not perfectly clear whether this is the race stock r>21m version.  Although the ad refers to FIS, the fact they have Atomic 614 bindings rather than 1018 bindings makes me wonder.  You'd need to confirm whether these are r>21m with the seller.  His "Buy It Now" price is also high, but he has contact info in the ad so you should be able to negotiate them down to $200 or less, which is a more than fair price for a race stock ski of this vintage. http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-Race-05-06-Atomic-GS-11-185cm-/350410585514?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51961935aa

 

The recent crop of r>27m FIS GS skis started in 07/08, and Atomic changed the model designation that year to GS:12.  They also changed the construction from a beta design to sandwich.  Here are the details from the 2008 Atomic race (FIS) catalog http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/atomic-2459/alpine-race-2007-2008-12360/page-4-fullsize.html  The rack skis this year moved up a bit as well to 19m for 180cm and 19.5m for 186cm.  The following year (2009) they changed the graphics to the more familiar white ski with red lettering http://www.ski-depot.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SDO&Product_Code=A085050  I have a pair of these in 191cm length, and the radius is slightly under 30m.  You want to steer clear of these 'bad boys' as they are useless (and dangerous) for free skiing.  Like I said in my earlier post, unless you're on a perfectly groomed,deserted race hill, with fencing to prevent an accidental foray into the trees, there's no point skiing on them. 
 

Hi all!
Thanks for all your answers! I found a pair of atomic gs 11 185 cm r>21 FIS which I bought! 

469 USD including customs and shipping! Maby a bit to mutch but the dollar is real cheap in sweden right now:D the price was only 75% of the  new pair of  atomic gs 11 176 cm which I  bought last year.http://archive.pixbox.se/arkivet/synligt_37/31880000-31889999/640x480/31886854.jpg

 

 

I have also found a pair of 188cm fis r>21 which according to the sellar is the shit, but they are verry worn out as you can se:
http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Fartskidor__GS___SG__Fischer__Atomic__Leki_30336530.htm?ca=11&w=1&last=1

They have been used in ski cross in the swedish national ski cross team. The sellar estimates the life of the ski to be only 12 full days and there is not mutch edge left.

 

These skis are also interesting:
http://www.blocket.se/dalarna/Salomon_GS_185_30824313.htm?ca=18&w=3

and cheap!

 

How often do you need do sharpen the edges on a race stock ski? How long life does a new race stock ski has compered to an usual?

How do you sharpen a ski? I'm a n00be... What do I need to think about?

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Race stock Women gs 183 cm r24 too soft for male 183 lb (83 kg)?