or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Why so much "techno" in America?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why so much "techno" in America? - Page 4

post #91 of 293



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCJIM View Post

You're the reason arguing online with anybody is futile and illogical.  Actually, it's masochistic.  If you believe that somebody emailing on a chair lift is them being fully there or 'in the moment" of skiing, then that is your right.  But I'd be a fool to try and explain it to you further.

 

And, yes, this constant obsession with gadgets IS very special ed. and Attention Deficit Disorder.  I've taught high school for five years.  I'm well acquainted with what these gadgets are doing to people and their focus, their concentration, their work habits.

 

People who ski double black diamonds generally are not the ones emailing people or taking phone calls.  They are there, in the present moment of skiing.   And they are getting better and better.

 

My students in class who do not text in class and Facebook, and email, etc, are the ones who score the highest.  Coincidence?  I think not.  Gadget obsession seems to follow those with Attention Deficit Disorder, those with mediocre skills. 

 

At any rate, it's been real chatting with you.  I don't care to comment further.   I'm getting ready for another season of double blacks and moguls, where I have been improving markedly each year.  Others on their cell phones and texting and emailing?  Not so much. 

 

Toodles.  

 


This is one of the best posts ever in the history of Epic.  Someone should cross post it to TGR.

 

NYCJIM - you have anger management issues.  Technology is ubiquitous; fighting that is like trying to keep the tide from washing away your sand castle. Learn how to co-exist, tolerate, and even use it to your benefit.

 

I can understand being annoyed by someone yakking loudly on a cell phone next to you on a lift for the whole ride. But hey, big picture is - it's 10 minute of your life. Laugh it off.

 

The one situation that really bothers me is driving while texting / facebooking / twittering...what have you.  Why? Becuase I bike a lot, and someday some mother f-er is going to be updating his or her status to "Driving home. Driving is so boring. Lolz!!" and I'm going to get run over and my kids will be without a father.  Using this technology while driving is what's really selfish, because it's downright dangerous to everyone involved.  That's not a joke. I know a family where the mom was updating some status one some web thing -- and now mom and two of her four kids are Status: Dead.

 

I could care less if someone emails or facebooks on a chairlift. Probably means I'll get more runs in than they will that day anyway : )  

 

 

 

 

 


 

post #92 of 293

And again as I stated.  Many of my coworkers waste their life away on call.  Have to be at the airport in 2 hours and respond to Crew Support when they call within 10 minutes.  You HAVE to have a cell phone for that.

post #93 of 293

 

Quote:
This is one of the best posts ever in the history of Epic.  Someone should cross post it to TGR.

 

 

...and 25 points to French for starting this thing.

post #94 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by iWill View Post

Funny, I was thinking there was more techno in Europe. More disco, too.

 

Yep. I knew two guys from Sweden who listened to techno exclusively. Personally I don't mind it, but 24/7 is a bit much.

 

When I see some guy playing with his IPhone or IPod or IWhatever at a ski hill it doesn't really impress me. In fact the first thing I think is "What a toolbox". I like being a Luddite - I don't even like lighted reticles. If you need to rely on batteries to kill zombies you're not gonna last long once the SHTF.

post #95 of 293


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by iWill View Post

Funny, I was thinking there was more techno in Europe. More disco, too.

 

Yep. I knew two guys from Sweden who listened to techno exclusively. Personally I don't mind it, but 24/7 is a bit much.

 

When I see some guy playing with his IPhone or IPod or IWhatever at a ski hill it doesn't really impress me. In fact the first thing I think is "What a toolbox". I like being a Luddite - I don't even like lighted reticles. If you need to rely on batteries to kill zombies you're not gonna last long once the SHTF.


Don't know wtf a reticle is -- is that something on a toenail if getting your boots blown out didn't go too well?

 

Lighted reticules rock.  In context.  But for zombie-hunting they do probably suck.  But, they don't rock as much as skirt flies.  Tech has its place.  Wax is tech, camber is real old tech but still tech. 

 

Cool to see TGR held up as a standard of excellence for anger management issues, and/or abuse of tech.  Not sure what Billymc is getting at.  Kinda think I could talk some friends into a tour on a black day, take beautiful pics of it, post it using high tech, and talk about all the lines we "bagged" and have people tell me "way to get after it."  Even after misbehavior, documented in high tec.  All the high tech and motor homes in the world can't tell where on Buck Mountain it all goes down. 

 

Regardless, skirt flies that could never be made with natural fibers still rock. 

post #96 of 293

Quote:
Originally Posted by at_nyc View Post

 

 

I can do math in my head, sometimes faster than what people can do with calculator. But I can't do a 4 digit to the power of 4 in my head. 

 

Actually, I can

 

1000 ^ 4 = 1E12  (very simple :   (1E3) ^ 4  = 1E12)  just multiply exponents hahaha....

 

....

 

but I agree with your post. There has always been a nostalgia with the simple/idyllic life.  

 

Apparenlty, living in caves is attractive.   

 

**just a few cents from lowly engineer / Techno american**

post #97 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKook View Post


Don't know wtf a reticle is -- is that something on a toenail if getting your boots blown out didn't go too well?

 

Lighted reticules rock.   



A reticle is what all the guys on the gun boards call a reticule. I used to say reticule, but then I got ridiculed. Maybe I should just say cross-hairs?

post #98 of 293


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by CTKook View Post


Don't know wtf a reticle is -- is that something on a toenail if getting your boots blown out didn't go too well?

 

Lighted reticules rock.   



A reticle is what all the guys on the gun boards call a reticule. I used to say reticule, but then I got ridiculed. Maybe I should just say cross-hairs?


You are correct and for me cross-hairs would be fine. 

post #99 of 293

 

 

Hm.  Well, tools are tools and are useful where appropriate (I mean, the tech in skis alone has improved our experience).  But it's true tech can vestigize (new verb) human functions.  When I drive somewhere using GPS, for instance, I'm a passive recipient of information, and I don't remember the route as well as I do when I have to figure it out myself.  That said, it's a lot easier and less stress-inducing to use a GPS when you don't know where you're going (in populated areas, anyway -- people driving in Vermont, too, sometimes end up in a snow bank that in summer was a "road"), and that's why GPSs sell.

 

What makes me uncomfortable, though, is seeing people riveted to their devices under all circumstances.  At our local pumpkin festival recently, scads of people (outastatahs, I think) were zombie-ing along with the crowd, eyes glued to IPhones while the actual world drifted past their distracted selves.  And my father-in-law complains that, when he's with his IPhone-toting buddies, they never talk anymore.  All they do is swipe and scroll all day.

 

I mean, I bought Apple for my IRA at ten, and I'm happy they're doing well -- and I'd love (to afford) an IPhone, but I hope to God I'll be able to keep the thing from turning me into a virtual human being. 

 

post #100 of 293

If there is a gadget made you can bet we Americans will buy it - unless the Japanese have already bought out the entire first run. wink.gif

No amount of financial turmoil can overrule this basic law of economics.

post #101 of 293

 

 

Et France,

 

C'est vrai aussi que les Français sont plus et plus infectés -- et faits écoeurés -- par le même virus, non?

 

post #102 of 293

Is a gadget thread the new helmet thread?

 

First, let me just say that this topic has no geographic boundaries. How about Italians riding motorini, scooters, while hand holding a cell phone!

 

Frankly, my current way to solve all these problems is with my new, soon to be copyrighted invention, the Padded Hat. It will offer more protection than a hat and not be a helmet. Plus, it qualifies as a gadget yet is unobtrusive (usually) to those around you. Now, no more arguing over these silly things.

 

I see we got some smoking comments in here too! Nice. One of the pleasures of smoking was smoking on the chairlift. Nothing like it. The view, the cold fresh air! Awesome. As long as it wasn't too windy. Smoking in the wind is not pleasurable. It's like having a conversation in the wind - not satisfying because you can't hear easily. Big Sky had a great beginner lift that I could have two clove cigarettes on, it was that slow. It was warm, it was fun. Ahhh, good times.

Now I'm not smoking. The advantage is I don't get those little burn holes in the fancy high tech fabrics. See, cotton doesn't burn like that. Welders don't use goretex and all that crap. Leather and cotton for them. We've gotten soft. Then we compensate with gadgets. (Yes, even my Padded Hat)

 

Maybe there's an iphone app that imitates smoking. That would be something. Probably windproof too. No butts to throw out. See, technology really does make our lives better. Would that be a problem though if I whipped out the iphone and said "Mind if I imitate smoking? I'm trying to quit."

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

I love the amount of projection in these threads. All I can say is it takes a lot to distract me to the point of annoyance (I guess I'm IN THE MOMENT) --  and then I'm not even really annoyed, just bemused. Lighten up Francis! Now I'm going to go skiing, and ignore anyone waving a phone around. (Probably too cold for that today)


You're not doing the Grumpy Old Men and Crotchetty Old Women thread right. smile.gif


You know what's funny ... as soon as I posted this, I embarked on the most ANNOYING 2 hr of my recent life (one of those stories where you JUST CAN'T FLIPPING GET ON THE HILL because you have to move your heelpiece, which is fine, then you take the screwdriver back inside up two stories and your dog is barking and won't stop, so you clean out the living room of things he can chew, and take him down two stories and out to pee and back up again but not into the crate, then you walk up a 100-yd hill and you thought it was supposed to be really cold but it's not so you're sweating, and then you realize you don't have your pass, so you take off your coat and leave it with skis, walk back down to get your pass, your dog is still barking like crazy, so you try to distract him with a treat and when you open the oven to get out the bacon you burned for breakfast, the oven door handle and front panel rip completely off, and when you leave your dog inside and wait at the stairs for 15 min, he still keeps barking, so you have to figure skiing just isn't going to happen, then you realize you can just put him in the car in the garage and who cares if he barks down there, and you walk back up the hill to get your gear, then over another 200 yd to click into your bindings and they don't fit?? -- I swear I checked them when I moved the heel earlier -- but you need a tool bench, so still sweating you shoulder your skis again and walk down another 75 yards to find a toolbench, but the closest is a little shop where they want to charge you (sign says "go outside building another 100yd to find toolbench") and by then there's no way in hell you are going anywhere else so you grab a flathead screwdriver that they left on the counter and if anyone tries to stop you it's fairly obvious you will bludgeon them immediately. Fix binding. Go skiing. Yeah, I would have preferred to listen to anyone on their iPhone for a 7-min lift ride. Crotchety NOW??)

See, you really should have just employed a gadget! Well, maybe not a gadget but a computer. (When does a thing become a gadget? If I write from a laptop on a chairlift is that any better?) Then you wouldn't have had all that real world hassle. You could've been skiing on wii or some such thing, or just talking about it. Barking dog? Easy to turn off with one click. This living thing's really got me down now. Kind of like the Bonnie Raitt song:

 

"Just give me one thing
that I can hold on to
to believe in this livin'
is just a hard way to go"

 

 I was going to post this photo before I read that to presence a certain way of mind. Sort of mellow things out. I'll do it anyway:

segbrown's profile photo:

175x400px-LM-IMG_3688.JPG
 

Aren't things better now?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph3 View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by at_nyc View Post

I can do math in my head, sometimes faster than what people can do with calculator. But I can't do a 4 digit to the power of 4 in my head. 

 

Actually, I can

 

1000 ^ 4 = 1E12  (very simple :   (1E3) ^ 4  = 1E12)  just multiply exponents hahaha........

 

but I agree with your post. There has always been a nostalgia with the simple/idyllic life.  

 

Apparently, living in caves is attractive.   [typo fixed, bold added"]

 

**just a few cents from lowly engineer / Techno american**


No, that was yesterday. The caves really aren't that attractive anymore because cell phone reception in there is very bad. Particularly those nice deep ones where the temps are more stable. Gps is useless in there too. How will you then find your way out? Then there's the problem with the smoke from the fire...Sheesh, a van down by the river sounds pretty good now!  At least the Gps works there and you know where you're not.

 

This pretty much sums up what some people are talking about:

 

Baseball cartoon.bmp


from:  http://www.cartoonbank.com/hey-fans-im-at-bat-btm-9th-bases-loaded-score-tied-oops-jst-got-called-strike1/invt/134708/

Someone wrote into the magazine to point out that there are problems with the cartoon. The Yankees do not allow beards, and the uniform is wrong. Perhaps if they'd used a better gadget for research it would be more accurate.

 

Well, I should probably get off this not quite a gadget thing using what apparently is ok, like cotton and the caves, the internet.

I still think this livin' is a hard thing to do...

but there's always cartoons.

post #103 of 293

I agree with you NYCJim -- I think people are becoming much too reliant on gadgets and it's actually costing us in terms of our problem-solving ability. A friend of mine asked his college economics course (freshmen) what 25% of 4 million was, and he said that 2/3 of them pulled out their calculators. That having been said, I don't care if people are texting, etc. at the ski area, as long as they're not skiing up behind me while they're doing it. I do care, however, if someone at a Thanksgiving dinner for 6 pulls out his iPhone and starts messing around on it. He's over 50, for the record, and has no ill relatives he needs to check up on. Unbelievable.

post #104 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

"Just give me one thing
that I can hold on to
to believe in this livin'
is just a hard way to go"

 

 I was going to post this photo before I read that to presence a certain way of mind. Sort of mellow things out. I'll do it anyway:

segbrown's profile photo:

175x400px-LM-IMG_3688.JPG
 

Aren't things better now?


A: Bonnie Raitt is the best. (or, da bomb?)

B: that photo was taken in June at ABasin (2009). We skied in the morning, drove home, and went to the pool. Now THAT is living. Yup. :-)

 

C: I am a little crotchety again today, because I'm at home, and all the stuff I thought they were opening yesterday at Copper, they opened today instead. Oh well. You win some, ...

post #105 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

"Just give me one thing
that I can hold on to
to believe in this livin'
is just a hard way to go"

 

 I was going to post this photo before I read that to presence a certain way of mind. Sort of mellow things out. I'll do it anyway:

segbrown's profile photo:

175x400px-LM-IMG_3688.JPG
 

Aren't things better now?


A: Bonnie Raitt is the best. (or, da bomb?)

B: that photo was taken in June at ABasin (2009). We skied in the morning, drove home, and went to the pool. Now THAT is living. Yup. :-)

 

C: I am a little crotchety again today, because I'm at home, and all the stuff I thought they were opening yesterday at Copper, they opened today instead. Oh well. You win some, ...


Bonnie Raitt did a nice cover, but John Prine is the Man.  

 

post #106 of 293

Let me know where everyone is able to get reception for their phones, I get "no bars" on the hills I visit and would like to use the Wifi hotspot of my phone to stream video from my helmet camera to my Facebook page.wink.gif 

 

On a serious note, I understand why people get annoyed, I get pretty annoyed too at times for someone barking on a phone in a movie/restaurant/etc but I would suggest a few counter points, not that I think would change peoples minds too much.

 

Isn't part of living in the moment, being able to share experiences in real time (sending email/text/pictures of being on lift, skiing, etc?) Sometimes someone is checking the contract or deal or some other silly thing, but also I hear parents checking on kids.

 

I would assume more people have been saved by GPS or cell phone, than those who inadvertently hurt themselves with their gadgets.

 

I am a quiet person by nature, so maybe I am not a good example, but I would say I have people strike up a conversation maybe 1 out of 20 or 1 out of 40 times in the Gondola or on the lift.  We're almost always just staring blankly. A person using their gadget could just be doing it during down time.  I doubt it will happen, but the trains in my area have 'quiet cars' and maybe some of the lifts (or certain chairs) can be designated 'quiet' as well.

 

The gadgets are so cheap they are ubiquitous by definition.  If you saw me a month ago, I had a 6 year old phone, but just got a new fancy phone -- I wouldn't expect anyone to disable or not use the features.  Carrying one phone with GPS, camera, text, wifi, music player, is better than carrying 6 gadgets.

 

I think the irony of talking about gadgets on a web page has already been pointed out (we should be talking in the lodge, no ?) rolleyes.gif

post #107 of 293

I was thoroughly inspired by this thread today. First day on snow this season! In honor of this thread, I sent a text from the chairlift. I made a call from the slope to try to get someone to come out and ski. I even took a photo from the phone. I think I'm ok, and I still remember what I did. There was no one even to bother though on the chairlift. I still think

Ya know, when they put radios in cars they had big arguments about it's effects and consequences. That said, there's no doubt in my mind how bad texting is while driving. One can drive almost unconscious, thinking about other things, but attempting to text uses up the brain power available for monitoring what you're doing.

Of course, texting while skiing should definitely be avoided especially if you don't have a helmet.

 

Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

A: Bonnie Raitt is the best. (or, da bomb?)

B: that photo was taken in June at ABasin (2009). We skied in the morning, drove home, and went to the pool. Now THAT is living. Yup. :-)

 

C: I am a little crotchety again today, because I'm at home, and all the stuff I thought they were opening yesterday at Copper, they opened today instead. Oh well. You win some, ...

Like the list style. Ski to pool. Now that's good spring summer skiing!

 

 

Originally Posted by Opty View Post

Let me know where everyone is able to get reception for their phones, I get "no bars" on the hills I visit and would like to use the Wifi hotspot of my phone to stream video from my helmet camera to my Facebook page.wink.gif 

 

I am a quiet person by nature, so maybe I am not a good example, but I would say I have people strike up a conversation maybe 1 out of 20 or 1 out of 40 times in the Gondola or on the lift.  We're almost always just staring blankly. A person using their gadget could just be doing it during down time.  I doubt it will happen, but the trains in my area have 'quiet cars' and maybe some of the lifts (or certain chairs) can be designated 'quiet' as well.

 

I think the irony of talking about gadgets on a web page has already been pointed out (we should be talking in the lodge, no ?) rolleyes.gif

I think the thing with the discussion with other people is you pretty much have to initiate it and it doesn't always come back. Just like the subway or train or plane. The one thing I'd say about skiing is it's sometimes hard on the chairlift to know whether the person has headphones  turned on. You can talk to them and they just don't respond. It's often because they're listening to music. 1 out of 40 is not someone else's responsibility. Those were 40 different people! We're the only one there for all 40.

Now...back to work on the Padded Hat.  On the way to the slopes I was thinking about a balloon in it. A heavy duty version also to be used like an airbag. Now we're talking safety!


Edited by Tog - 11/26/10 at 5:04pm
post #108 of 293

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ullricious View Post

 

Quote:
This is one of the best posts ever in the history of Epic.  Someone should cross post it to TGR.

 

 

...and 25 points to French for starting this thing.

 

 

And for a moment I thought I WAS on TGR.

 

Original post was a Troll. Just in case anyone cares.

 

Signed, Captain Obvious.


 

post #109 of 293

So in response to this thread, I went looking for iPhone ski apps.  I found one that looked good on paper.  It's called iTrailMap 3D.  It has trail maps to pretty much everywhere, as well as a 3D topography map that places you as a little Delta on the map.  It updates live via GPS, and logs your vertical, which you can then upload to 3dSkier.com or something like that.  I was enjoying the App, but I'll be darned if I could figure out away to make it run with the phone screen shut off.  I tried it with the top button, and main button, but it never logged anything shut down like this.  The only way to get it to function and log distance and vertical, was to open the app, and leave the phone on in my pocket.  As you can imagine, but the end of the day in 25 degree temps, the battery died.  Once recharged and turned back on, all the data from the day was gone.  I had tried to upload it from the mountain before the battery died, but as I was on "E" service, I couldn't upload anything.  I guess you have to have a strong signal from your own provider, which in my experience, most mountains don't have.

 

End Result:  iPhone skier apps are stupid.

post #110 of 293

I couldn't agree more.  That's one reason why we only ski Alta now as it seems only the 'real' show up to ski. That was one of the things that brought me to skiing was the serenity.  You could hear a snowflake  fall on a left behind fall leaf.  Went to Keystone a few years ago to try something different.  It was a nightmare. Never again. 

post #111 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainken View Post

I couldn't agree more.  That's one reason why we only ski Alta now as it seems only the 'real' show up to ski. That was one of the things that brought me to skiing was the serenity.  You could hear a snowflake  fall on a left behind fall leaf.  Went to Keystone a few years ago to try something different.  It was a nightmare. Never again. 



Weird.  Both of those places are in my top 5.

post #112 of 293

Quote:

Originally Posted by captainken View Post

I couldn't agree more.  That's one reason why we only ski Alta now as it seems only the 'real' show up to ski. That was one of the things that brought me to skiing was the serenity.  You could hear a snowflake  fall on a left behind fall leaf.  Went to Keystone a few years ago to try something different.  It was a nightmare. Never again. 

Frankly I find the Altoids can be quite unreal in their version of the truth which only exists there, with them, and with what they are doing. Have you ever actually been on an Alta traverse when there's good snow to be had? Serenity is not the word that comes to mind. It would be best to have a sword to fend off the "real" skiers. Most of "the real" would gladly knock you over, esp. you being from Florida, and think nothing of it since you were intruding on "their" reality, you are not real and thus don't deserve respect.

 

Keystone?? My god man Keystone gets very crowded!

The fact is you can find serenity at any ski area if you know when, or pick an area that's less traveled. Gadgets have nothing to do with any of that though.
 

post #113 of 293

NYCJim, you keep saying how others sitting on a chairlift texting on their phone and minding their own business is taking you out of your "now"....and you claim they're the ones with ADD?  sounds like you have ADD.

 

So what exactly can the person sitting next to you on a chairlift do that won't annoy you?

* can he yabber about how much he hates his job?

* is he allowed to chew bubble gum and blow bubbles?

* can he sing?

* is he allowed to listen to music?

 

None of this has any affect on you other than what YOU make of it.  He's not holding anyone up.  He's not posing any risks to anyone else (assuming playing with gadgets limited to ski lift).   It's your own choice whether it annoys you or not and whether you pay attention to it.  Suppose I'm annoyed by someone else's breathing pattern.  If I were annoyed by someone else's breathing pattern...that's my problem, not theirs.  They shouldn't have to change their breathing pattern just to accommodate me.

 

Your "now" may be to enjoy skiing.  But another person's "now" might be enjoying skiing while on the snow and texting friends while on the chair lift.  Two different "now"'s, two different times.

 

Now lets put you on the other side of this argument.  Suppose I really enjoy hiking on the mountain and just love being out in the fresh air and taking in all nature has to offer.  All the sudden, YOU, a skier goes by.  I'm going to argue that you are being distracted by planks on your feet....and that annoys me.  You should take them off and just walk down the mountain.  See nature slowly and take your time.  The fact that you have to have skis on a beautiful mountain annoys me and you need to respect me by not doing that.

 

See how ridiculous that argument is? 

post #114 of 293

Majortato, it's about courtesy. You sound as if you are a very discourteous person, and you probably don't realize it.

 

post #115 of 293

I don't see that at all in his remarks. The only time "courteous" would come into play is if the activity is LOUD or he keeps elbowing you.  The fact that someone is texting shouldn't bother anyone one bit.  Sometimes people have their headphones so loud I don't understand how they can hear anymore, but I don't let it bother me.  I mean we're talking about a 5 minutes chair ride. 

 

Now, if they had beans for lunch and I'm in the chair behind them, THAT'S obnoxious.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoof2 View Post

Majortato, it's about courtesy. You sound as if you are a very discourteous person, and you probably don't realize it.

 

post #116 of 293

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfacehoar View Post


Once I got to the top, the clouds moved in and visibility was poor. So I pulled up a live radar map, and found out that it will be clearing in a few minutes, so it would be best to wait it out......... Sun is back out, so now it's time for the down, .

 

This is one of the most pathetic things I have ever read.

 

 

As for gadgets, all I carry consistently are a pipe and a lighter, and sometimes a camera which I usually forget to use. I guess I don't live up to French's stereotype of American skiers.

post #117 of 293

Crazy that a guy from NYC finds cell phone use on a chairlift intrusive.

 

On the other hand, maybe there's a lot more of it where NYC skiers go. We don't see a whole lot of brokers yelling "Sell, sell!" into their phones around here.

post #118 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoof2 View Post

Majortato, it's about courtesy. You sound as if you are a very discourteous person, and you probably don't realize it.

 


Not sure where you're getting this from.  I only simply stated some hypothetical scenarios to make a point.  You are absolutely correct it's about courtesy.  Being loud and obnoxious may not be courteous, but how exactly is sitting on a chairlift minding my own business on my iphone not being courteous?  (I don't do this btw...but just suppose I did)

You may enjoy just looking at your surroundings, but perhaps I enjoy looking at my phone.  Different people have different likes and dislikes.  Am I expected to have a conversation with you because we are sitting on the chair together?  Maybe I find it pointless to make small talk with someone I probably won't see again ever. 

 

I completely understand why some people may enjoy forgetting about everything else and only focus on their skiing.  But I really enjoy skiing, taking pictures and videos while I ski, recording GPS data while I ski so I can look at and analyze the data later.  I do all these because it's FUN FOR ME.  It doesn't affect you in any way and shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the sport unless you let it.  Just because it's your OPINION and philosophy that you should focus on just skiing when skiing doesn't mean it's the right way and the way everyone should follow.  Anyone who thinks their way is the best and only way is quite arrogant.  I don't get mad at you for not using technology..so why would you get mad at me for using it?

 

The fact is NYCJIM has pointed out over and over that he gets passionately angry at people for doing things just because they're doing it....not because they are actually being discourteous towards him.  What's next?  go yell at people for getting tattoos because you think it's disgraceful?  or get mad at people who wear baggy pants because you think it looks stupid? 

post #119 of 293

I believe Majortato argues for zen.

 

I don't like tattoos -- on good-looking people, they spoil the view; on less good-looking people, they're worse -- but if I dwell on hating tattoos, I only irritate myself.  Excellent reasons exist for hating tattoos, but people aren't trying to be rude for wearing them (unless they literally shove them in my face, which is, we can all agree, rude behavior . . . though, depending on circumstances, and the shov-ee's other physical attributes, it might be pleasure more than pain).  If I find tattoos rude, my irritation is my irritation -- and my problem.

 

Social protocols condemn loud cell-phone calls in public places.  We call people who conduct them rude, and most of us agree that they are.  On the other hand, were we zen about it, no loud cell-phone call, no matter how salacious, scatological, or obnoxious, would ruffle us.  A loud cell-phone call is a phenomenon we may or may not react to.  To be flayed, we must pick up the whip        (, glasshoppah).  

 

On the other hand, I hate loud cell-phone calls I'm not making myself.

post #120 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by iWill View Post

On the other hand, maybe there's a lot more of it where NYC skiers go. We don't see a whole lot of brokers yelling "Sell, sell!" into their phones around here.

 

Yeah, after reading this thread, I figured maybe that was the case. I've not really skied in the East, but I do know I'm always surprised by how loud people talk back there. But I thought everyone else was used to it...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Why so much "techno" in America?