or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Why so much "techno" in America?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why so much "techno" in America? - Page 8

post #211 of 293

 

Quote:
 ...projecting your own insecurities onto them

 icon14.gif icon14.gif icon14.gif

 

post #212 of 293

I am SOOO glad I will be skiing tomorrow instead of trying to fond other things to waste time like posting in threads like this one.  True, I might be skiing in the rain, but it is still skiingski.gif  And if it is cooler enough 4,000 feet up I will be skiing

snowfalling.gif

 

 

in this!yahoo.gif

post #213 of 293

It's not pop psycho babble.  The restaurant I usually go to has many of the same people dining there.  And after many years you see the same people--and after awhile I started to notice the same people always would walk in while talking and then quickly hang up.  If it happened once, okay, but for some diners it's their ONLY way of entering the restaurant.  Once, okay.  Twice, okay. But every time?  Five times I've seen this one guy in particular do it.  I've seen another woman do it probably at least five times.  

 

Somebody above said they use their phone to keep pushy salespeople away.  There are many other uses for the phones.  And using them as security blankets is what I'm talking about here.  I'm not projecting anything.  I'm merely assessing what's obvious if you're an observant person like I am.  The cell phone obsessed are losing their ability to observe.  They're not paying attention.  

 

Yes it does offend me if I"m at a restaurant eating and you're talking on the phone to your girlfriend.  Can't you eat in silence?  Can't you flirt with the waitress?  How about just eating quietly so the other people around you don't have to listen to you?

 

And, YES, it most certainly is more of a bother that someone is talking on the phone vs. talking to someone they're sitting with.  The person talking to their dining companion is engaging in normal, social, communal behavior.  And they adjust their normal, social, communal behavior to respect those around them (i.e., no cuss words, keeping voices down).  However, the phone person is not engaging in communal behavior at all.  It's entirely self-indulgent.  And because it's 100% self-indulgence with no regard to those around, it's considered arrogant, inconsiderate and rude.  

 

And I doubt your girlfriend wants you to call her while you're eating.  It's disgusting to talk to somebody while they're chewing.  She doesn't want that.  How about eating your lunch like a human and then calling her after?  It's sickening to be a diner and have to look at some slob cutting his steak while he's talking on a cell phone, chewing while he's talking on a cell phone.  


Edited by NYCJIM - 12/3/10 at 11:41am
post #214 of 293

8 pages and nothing has changed.  Problem when trying to argue with someone who is close minded and arrogant is that nothing gets through because he respects no one enough to accept their input.  Basically a catch 22 - Too arrogant to accept feedback.  Can't lose arrogance because feedback is dismissed.

 

This is actually getting kind of funny.  How many times can we get the "I'm done with this thread" post from him.  We should start a pool.  I call 7.

post #215 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCJIM View Post
Yes it does offend me if I"m at a restaurant eating and you're talking on the phone to your girlfriend.  Can't you eat in silence?  Can't you flirt with the waitress?  How about just eating quietly so the other people around you don't have to listen to you?

 

And, YES, it most certainly is more of a bother that someone is talking on the phone vs. talking to someone they're sitting with.  The person talking to their dining companion is engaging in normal, social, communal behavior.  And they adjust their normal, social, communal behavior to respect those around them (i.e., no cuss words, keeping voices down).  However, the phone person is not engaging in communal behavior at all.  It's entirely self-indulgent.  And because it's 100% self-indulgence with no regard to those around, it's considered arrogant, inconsiderate and rude.  

 

And I doubt your girlfriend wants you to call her while you're eating.  It's disgusting to talk to somebody while they're chewing.  She doesn't want that.  How about eating your lunch like a human and then calling her after?  It's sickening to be a diner and have to look at some slob cutting his steak while he's talking, chewing while he's talking.  



ROFL!!! This post is so full of fail I don't know what to do with it.  My head asplode!!!

 

So it's ok to talk to someone while eating...but only if they're physically there.  cause apparently if you're not there, you will be much louder and swearing and cussing..because that's what people who talk on phones do.

It's also ok to be cutting steak and eating and having a conversation while someone is physically there with you.  But if they're over the phone, then it's extremely disgusting for the person on the other side of the phone.  Also Jim seems to know exactly what our girlfriends/wives like and want....I'd like to pick your brain Jim.  I could learn a lot.

 

Ok I think I got it.....good thing we have Jim to teach us proper social behavior so that we can all be high society like him.

post #216 of 293

Not true.  You're making generalizations.  Just because I don't agree with you and a few others doesn't mean I'm close-minded or arrogant.

 

It just means I'm not lowering my standards and I'm maintaining my position.  Why should my position change simply because three or so strangers on the internet have expressed an alternative viewpoint?  Do you normally change all of your life viewpoints simply because others differ?  

 

I'll leave you with this to ponder:  Nobody dining out ever wished that the person next to them would make or take a cell phone call.  Nobody waiting for a Broadway show to start ever wished the people around them would use their phones to post on Facebook.  Nobody during intermission ever wished people around them would start texting.  Nobody in a movie theatre ever wished people around them would shine their blue lights and "discreetly" text someone.  Nobody on a bus or train ride going to work in the morning or going home from a busy day at work ever wished their fellow passengers would make or take a "quiet" phone call.  Nobody in a store or a supermarket ever wished somebody on line would use their cell phone.  Nobody sitting in a doctor's waiting room ever wished somebody would make a "quiet" cell phone call.  Nobody on a chair lift ever wished somebody next to them would start texting or talking shop on a cell phone.  

 

Nobody anywhere ever wished that somebody in their immediate vicinity would use their cell phone.  People everywhere will thank you, they really will appreciate it, if you do not use your phone.  They just really will.    

 

It's something to think about.  Unless you're close-minded and arrogant and won't let that get through.

 

I'm officially retiring from this thread.

 

Toodles.


Edited by NYCJIM - 12/3/10 at 11:47am
post #217 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCJIM View Post

Not true.  You're making generalizations.  Just because I don't agree with you and a few others doesn't mean I'm close-minded or arrogant.

 

It just means I'm not lowering my standards. 

 

I'll leave with this to ponder:  Nobody dining out ever wished that the person next to them would make or take a cell phone call.  Nobody waiting for a Broadway show to start ever wished the people around them would use their phones to post on Facebook.  Nobody during intermission ever wished people around them would start texting.  Nobody in a movie theatre ever wished people around them would shine their blue lights and "discreetly" text someone.  Nobody on a bus or train ride going to work in the morning or going home from a busy day at work ever wished their fellow passengers would make or take a "quiet" phone call.  Nobody on a chair lift ever wished somebody next to them would start texting or talking shop on a cell phone.   Nobody anywhere ever wished that somebody in their immediately vicinity would use their cell phone.  People everywhere will thank you, they really will appreciate it, if you do not use your phone.  They just really would.    

 

It's something to think about.  Unless you're close-minded and arrogant and won't let that get through.

 

I'm officially retiring from this thread.

 

Toodles.

 

 

I'm eating out, I don't care the person sitting at the next table is talking on their phone.  It's no different than talking to a person (unless they're screaming into the phone because of bad reception or something...that's a different issue)

 

I was at an orchestra the other day....tons of ppl had their phones out sitting in their seats while waiting for the show to start.  I could care less.  Why should it bother me?  During intermission, tons of ppl took out their phones.  Doesn't matter....matters about as much as them going to the bathroom.

 

texting during a movie is rude...texting before a movie starts - who cares.

 

I ride the lightrail sometimes...I never care if someone sitting around me is quietly minding their own business on their phone.  It's no more of a distraction than the guy reading a newspaper or book or listening to music.  Taking a phone call is no different than the other couple talking to each other (assuming normal volume levels in all cases)

 

I could care less if the person on the chairlift decides they want to talk on the phone or sign onto facebook

 

I don't care if ppl around me use their cell phones as long as their actions do not disturb me in any other way.  If they're in front of me in a line to order something and their cell phone usage is causing them to slow down the line...then that's different.  If it's a 10 minute line, then by all means use your cell phone.

 

See Jim?  It's just you.  You say nobody...yet I'm sure 90% of people would agree with my views.  Stop projecting your own beliefs onto everyone else.  People everywhere would NOT thank me for not using my phone.  The truth is...as long as I'm not being obnoxious with it, no one, except self-important people like you, would care.

 

We're at 5 "done with this threads" now.  I'm gonna keep arguing until we get to 7...then I'll stop.  ;-)

 

 

post #218 of 293

 

Quote:
ROFL!!! This post is so full of fail I don't know what to do with it.  My head asplode!!!

 

Seriously.  Before, I was starting to think maybe he was trolling, but... I dunno.  He seems awfully sincere.

 

NYCJIM:

 

Quote:
Yes it does offend me if I"m at a restaurant eating and you're talking on the phone to your girlfriend.  Can't you eat in silence?  Can't you flirt with the waitress?  How about just eating quietly so the other people around you don't have to listen to you?

 

You're not even making sense.  This is essentially saying that doing anything in a restaurant other than chewing in silence and staring at the wall is offensive to you.

 

Quote:
And, YES, it most certainly is more of a bother that someone is talking on the phone vs. talking to someone they're sitting with.

 

No, it's really not, if the volume levels are similar.  If you're getting all flustered about one but not the other, you're got a strange double standard based on whether the person is holding a phone.  This is... misguided, at best.

 

Quote:
However, the phone person is not engaging in communal behavior at all.  It's entirely self-indulgent.  And because it's 100% self-indulgence with no regard to those around, it's considered arrogant, inconsiderate and rude.

 

Again with the not making any sense.

 

I guess all I can say is that in the reality I inhabit (and where majortato also seems to be), there seems to be only a very small minority of people in the US that share your views.  It's unrealistic to expect everyone to cater to the most sensitive people, so... um, good luck out there?

post #219 of 293

 

Quote:
And, YES, it most certainly is more of a bother that someone is talking on the phone vs. talking to someone they're sitting with.

 

Don't worry, it won't be long until the phone will be able to project a hologram of the person speaking from the phone.   Will it still be rude when it appears they are speaking with someone you can also see and hear?  I think the reason it bothers me when /other/ people talk on the phone in public places is because I only hear one side of the conversation.  It is far more interesting to hear the whole story with both parties within earshot and get all the juicy details instead of just one side of the conversation.  rolleyes.gif

post #220 of 293

Sorry I'm not making sense to you, Matthias, but most people with class and manners understand.  There's a reason for "No Cell Phones In The Dining Room."  Did you think those rules were to protect people from radiation?  It's not exclusively about volume, either.  The very presence and use of them is insulting and disrespectful to the other people dining.  Cell phone users seize the airwaves and take everyone around them hostage to their self-indulgence.

 

Why do people have to adhere to dress codes at restaurants?  Well, duh.  Because you're offensive to the other diners if you're not dressed right.  I can hear it now, "How?  I'm not bothering nobody.  Why do dey care how I is dressed?"  

 

As for your belief that I'm in the minority, well, perhaps at the local Dunkin' Donuts, Chucky Cheez, McDonald's or Piggly Wiggly, yes, I imagine I would be.   

 

If somebody dined alone in a restaurant and wanted to put their makeup on at the table, or quietly file their nails in order to make use of their time, rather than eat in silence, I suppose you'd support that, too. How about pulling out a stack of bills and start writing checks and sealing envelopes.  This way you can make use of the time instead of "eating in silence."  I can hear you now: "Dey ain't botherin nobody."

 

If people were to sit alone at a restaurant table with their IPhone headset on that would be extremely rude, too.  Even if nobody can hear the music it would still be horribly rude.  Why?  Because it's self-indulgent behavior which disrespects the people in the immediate surroundings.  

 

If you have to ask "How so?" then there's really little hope for you.  Continue onward and ignorant.  No, you're thankfully not in the majority.  But it certainly is a large group you do find yourself in.  Class is as class does.  

 

Continue onward and ignorant.  

 

Wait, let me guess, you don't think wearing a baseball cap in a restaurant is wrong.  Of course not.  "Dey ain't botherin nobody."  Sigh.  

 

I'm officially retiring from this thread.

 

   

post #221 of 293

Let's use Jim's arguing tactics against him.

 

Jim...I find your use of a computer to post your views on the distaste of use of technology in public quite insulting and disrespectful.  I find that to be 100% self-indulgent behavior.  You obviously enjoy being controversial and you indulge in that feeling by making these posts.  It's extremely disrespectful to all those on this forum.  Everyone in the world feels this way.  My proof?  Because I say so...and because I am the alpha and the omega, I am the beginning and the end, I am the word of god and everything I say is the absolute truth.

 

Up to 6 now....I think he's doing it on purpose now to be more outrageous.  Again, more self-indulgent behavior.  Can I change my bet?

post #222 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCJIM View Post

It's not pop psycho babble.  The restaurant I usually go to has many of the same people dining there.  And after many years you see the same people--and after awhile I started to notice the same people always would walk in while talking and then quickly hang up.  If it happened once, okay, but for some diners it's their ONLY way of entering the restaurant.  Once, okay.  Twice, okay. But every time?  Five times I've seen this one guy in particular do it.  I've seen another woman do it probably at least five times.  

 

Somebody above said they use their phone to keep pushy salespeople away.  There are many other uses for the phones.  And using them as security blankets is what I'm talking about here.  I'm not projecting anything.  I'm merely assessing what's obvious if you're an observant person like I am.  The cell phone obsessed are losing their ability to observe.  They're not paying attention.  

 

Yes it does offend me if I"m at a restaurant eating and you're talking on the phone to your girlfriend.  Can't you eat in silence?  Can't you flirt with the waitress?  How about just eating quietly so the other people around you don't have to listen to you?

 

And, YES, it most certainly is more of a bother that someone is talking on the phone vs. talking to someone they're sitting with.  The person talking to their dining companion is engaging in normal, social, communal behavior.  And they adjust their normal, social, communal behavior to respect those around them (i.e., no cuss words, keeping voices down).  However, the phone person is not engaging in communal behavior at all.  It's entirely self-indulgent.  And because it's 100% self-indulgence with no regard to those around, it's considered arrogant, inconsiderate and rude.  

 

And I doubt your girlfriend wants you to call her while you're eating.  It's disgusting to talk to somebody while they're chewing.  She doesn't want that.  How about eating your lunch like a human and then calling her after?  It's sickening to be a diner and have to look at some slob cutting his steak while he's talking on a cell phone, chewing while he's talking on a cell phone.  



So when exactly is it okay for someone to use their cell phone? You complain about people talking in the restaurant. You complain about people talking inside the entryway to the restaurant (which unlike you, I'd presume they do to avoid being rude and talking in the restaurant). I'd presume that talking while walking on a crowded NYC street is a big no-no. So if NYC Jim ruled the world (or his little piece of it) where exactly would it be socially acceptable to use a cell phone i.e. a phone designed for enabling communication anywhere, anytime.

 

I happen to agree that talking on a cell phone in a restaurant is irredeemably obnoxious. People tend to talk louder on the phone since it's more difficult to hear. I rarely overhear someone's conversation when they're talking to someone at their table--unless they're way too loud, which is also obnoxious--but people talking on cell phones can often be heard in every corner of the room. But lighten up a little.

post #223 of 293

...or quietly file their nails in order to make use of their time, rather than eat in silence, I suppose you'd support that, too."

 

That sounds like a health code violation, not really the same ballpark.

 

How about pulling out a stack of bills and start writing checks and sealing envelopes."

 

Who gives a shit? As long as he's not bothering me, why do I care if he's writing checks. You've never seen a person work while eating lunch? And you've lived in New York how long? I can't even imagine living in such a place if I were so thin-skinned.

 

Do you also object to people reading the newspaper or a book while at a solo lunch or on the subway? Or does that also take too much attention away from your gaping mug?

 

The more you post, the more it's crystal clear that you're the one that's self involved. Projecting your own arbitrary version of social etiquette onto everyone around you and getting incensed when they don't follow. Sounds like you could use someone to talk to on a cell phone or a pile of bills to pay when eating. Then maybe you wouldn't be staring at others like a deranged stalker or remembering every person that's ever dared use a cell phone in the entrance. Kind of creepy.

post #224 of 293

Speaking aloud in public whether to someone who is there or elsewhere is widely accepted in my society.

 

There are exceptions, during theatrical performances for example.

 

Restaurants and chairlifts are places where conversation is expected and acceptable.

post #225 of 293

Some interesting feedback.  Some not.  The rules that I'm talking about are not made by me.  They are traditional rules of behavior that considerate, well-mannered people engage in.

 

Where can one use a cell phone?  Well, think back to those quaint archaic devices known as phone booths, where--Egads!--the callers actually closed a door to keep their calls private and away from others.  Note the phone booths were never placed in the middle of the dining area of a restaurant.  Hmm, I wonder why?  Why were those phone booths placed out of the way?  Why did they have doors?

 

Answer:  People used to be more mindful of privacy, decorum, consideration.  Their PERSONAL business was not to be brought before the general public and forced into their face everywhere.  Just because with the advent of cell phones that it's technologically feasible to use the phone anywhere, everywhere at any time (cell phone service problems notwithstanding) does not mean that one SHOULD use it everywhere, anywhere, 24/7.

 

Telerod:  Yes, conversation is expected in restaurants.  Absolutely.  But it's not expected on cell phones in restaurants.  That's just low class and self-indulgent.  Need to place or take a cell phone call?  Excuse yourself, or if you're by yourself simply get up and walk outside to a private area.   The people in the tables around you will be very appreciative.  Unless they are not one to care about manners.  

 

Today it's all in your face, hanging out everywhere, 24/7.  The same mess of a being who shows up to church wearing an AC-DC t-shirt with his wife and her tramp stamp and tatooed hooters hanging out (I know, I know, "What does it matter to you?") is the same third trimester abortion who's in your face in the restaurant saying "Why can't I use my phone?"  Uh, well, why can't you just masturbate quietly at the table too?  Uh, because it's rude and sloppy, disrespectful to your neighbors and grossly self-indulgent.  Comprende?  

post #226 of 293

"The rules that I'm talking about are not made by me.  They are traditional rules of behavior that considerate, well-mannered people engage in."

 

If the length of this thread has taught you anything, let it be this: there are no such rules. If there were, we wouldn't have this argument. At best, your definition of the "rules" is stodgy and old fashioned. At worst it's completely wrong.

 

And you didn't speak to the most important issue: How is someone minding their own business, not being loud, not paying any attention to you, minding their own business and doing work, signing checks, reading a paper, etc. rude or bothersome?

 

And to clarify, are you saying that people should use their phone in some type of private little vessel that mimics a phone booth? Then why exactly did technology bring us a phone that could replace the phone booth? You usually can't talk in your car (and for good reason, not arbitrary social mores), so again, where exactly are you supposed to use that phone in your world?

 

I don't even know what the AC/DC guy has to do with anything, but I can top that picture: A dude wearing cut-off jean shorts, work boots and a mullet in church. On Christmas Eve.

post #227 of 293

Reading a newspaper is fine.   I suppose if it's done quietly, paperwork is okay, too.  But have you ever heard how noisy one check being torn from a checkbook makes?  Any behavior which draws attention to yourself, other than normal quiet conversation with your dining companions, is considered rude and unacceptable behavior in a restaurant.  If those rules are changing, that's just a testament to declining values.  But I know that for now, anyway, nice restaurants in New York City don't allow phones in the dining room.   Hallelujah!  

 

No, people shouldn't use a vessel that mimics a phone booth.  But they should somehow be mindful that their call should be private and not heard.  Nobody wants to hear it.  It's noise pollution.

 

Thanks for the genuine laugh, too.  Oh wow.  This is priceless:  "I can top that picture: A dude wearing cut-off jean shorts, work boots and a mullet in church. On Christmas Eve."  Yes, you win.  I have no scenario, not even involving a cell phone, worse than that!  Well, I do remember in the 1990s before cell phones, in a restaurant I was at, a customer was served meat ravioli when he specifically asked for cheese.  He got up, went to the pay phone and called the police!   At least he didn't call them from his table.  wink.gif

post #228 of 293

Jesus didn't make those kind of judgements about his followers.

post #229 of 293

Hey, Mods, Can we have a down thumb and not just an up thumb for posts?  I really need that down thumb. 

post #230 of 293

That we know of.  There were so many years of His life not documented.  I'm sure in those years if he had encountered the mullet, cut-offs, even He would have said, "Dude, what are you doing?"  

 

Well, it's time for the weekend!  

 

I'm officially retiring from this thread.


Edited by NYCJIM - 12/3/10 at 6:31pm
post #231 of 293

Ignoring my posts now Jim?  Can't argue against your own ridiculous style of argument?  LOL!

 

last time i checked, someone fumbling with a newspaper made a hell of a lot more noise than someone tearing a check out of a checkbook.  And someone using an iphone to check up on latest news made even less noise.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCJIM View Post

Reading a newspaper is fine.   I suppose if it's done quietly, paperwork is okay, too.  But have you ever heard how noisy one check being torn from a checkbook makes?  Any behavior which draws attention to yourelf, other than normal quiet conversation with your dining companions, is considered rude and unacceptable behavior in a restaurant.  

post #232 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCJIM View Post
The same mess of a being who shows up to church wearing an AC-DC t-shirt with his wife and her tramp stamp and tatooed hooters hanging out (I know, I know, "What does it matter to you?") is the same third trimester abortion who's in your face in the restaurant saying "Why can't I use my phone?"  Uh, well, why can't you just masturbate quietly at the table too?  Uh, because it's rude and sloppy, disrespectful to your neighbors and grossly self-indulgent.  Comprende?  


So you argue that's the same.....but then argue that a person sitting quietly by himself listening to music is vastly different from a person sitting quietly by himself not listening to music.

 

LOL, you might want to think things through before you type next time.  It's too bad that a teacher of the next generation sounds like he didn't graduate high school himself.

 

are we at 7 yet?  I lost count.  btw, you're still grossly self-indulging in being outrageous.  how rude.

post #233 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortato View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCJIM View Post
The same mess of a being who shows up to church wearing an AC-DC t-shirt with his wife and her tramp stamp and tatooed hooters hanging out (I know, I know, "What does it matter to you?") is the same third trimester abortion who's in your face in the restaurant saying "Why can't I use my phone?"  Uh, well, why can't you just masturbate quietly at the table too?  Uh, because it's rude and sloppy, disrespectful to your neighbors and grossly self-indulgent.  Comprende?  


So you argue that's the same.....but then argue that a person sitting quietly by himself listening to music is vastly different from a person sitting quietly by himself not listening to music.

 

LOL, you might want to think things through before you type next time.  It's too bad that a teacher of the next generation sounds like he didn't graduate high school himself.

 

are we at 7 yet?  I lost count.  btw, you're still grossly self-indulging in being outrageous.  how rude.

 

I don't understand your point.  You say "So you argue that's the same."  What is the antecedent to that?  What are you referring to?  What does "that" refer to?  And what does "same" refer to?  And you say I sound like I didn't graduate high school?  

 

A person sitting in a restaurant even quietly with a headset listening to his Ipod is vastly different from someone sitting quietly without an Ipod, without a headset, without listening to music.  I'm sorry you can't see why.  And I'm not your parent.  I'm not taking it upon myself to explain it to you.

 

Also, I wasn't ignoring you.  I just felt it futile to argue with you.  I think it's time we gently departed.  Enjoy Minnesota.  Enjoy your headset, Ipod, and cell phone, too.  I know there's "Minnesota Nice," no doubt.  But now that I've experienced you, I know there's also some "Minnesota Rude."  

 

Toodles.

 

On another notes, this story is satisfying.  A man's phone exploded and almost took his ear off.  LOL!!!!!!!!!!  JUSTICE.  My dream is to see a skier one day texting while skiing and then slamming into a tree, ahahaha  That would be priceless!

 

http://cellphone.appmobilize.com/mobile-news/4761/droid-explodes-in-man39s-ear-5-other-cell-phone-nighmares


Edited by NYCJIM - 12/4/10 at 6:05am
post #234 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCJIM View Post

Some interesting feedback.  Some not.  The rules that I'm talking about are not made by me.  They are traditional rules of behavior that considerate, well-mannered people engage in.

 


Jim - societal norms change, or did you not realize that?  Being self absorbed is the norm of American culture today. Technology has perhaps highlighted or exacerbated that, but it didn't cause it. You'd have to study finance, history, sociology, psychology, economics, the media, etc etc etc to try to even begin to understand or explain what moved us to where we are as a society today.  I personally think it begins at infancy with parents who dote on their little miracles as if procreation were something they themselves created. We give kids medals for participation. We tell them they're special, even when they fail - rather than letting them understand whey they failed and how to learn and grow from that. Parents get blinded to the fact that their little snowflake sucks at dance or karate or ice skating, and instead think they are they next superstar. I'm a parent, and I understand it's easy to want the best for your kids -- but if they never experience adversity how will they learn to rise up and overcome?  Mediocrity is the new norm Jim. Think about that for a while, and the societal implications of that truth. Why is mediocrity so acceptable, and even rewarded?  I don't know either.  Why do people want the temperature to be 75 degrees all the time, indoors or out?

 

For the most part, I don't get bothered by people using technology. It's everywhere. If they turn off their phones during a play or movie, I'm ok with people whipping them out to text or call during a break.  It's actually  kind of amusing how addicted people are to their gadgets, and I bet in a few years there will be studies about how it's an illness/addiction much like smoking or drinking.  People almost go into panic mode without their phones -- not everyone, but some -- and I will expect that scientists/researchers will find that getting a text somehow releases some chemicals in the brain that people get addicted to -- mark my words, you heard it here first.  This is almost always the case when you see instances where people engage in an activity that is SO dangerous -- like driving and texting -- and rationalize it or do it anyway.  They understand how dangerous it is -- but they can't let go.

 

 

As someone who does a 27 mile round trip bicycle commute 3 or 4 times a week, it's the texting while driving that I am truly afraid of.  I mostly could care less where else people text / update facebook, whatever. As long as they stop doing it while driving, I'd be happy.  

 

Jim - you can't stop change. Especially by whining on Epic. Maybe you should blog about it. 

 

I too, am officially retiring from this thread. Until someone writes something that I simply must respond to because they are so ignorant that they leave me no choice.

 

post #235 of 293

Billy:  BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

WOW, you have some golden observations.   This is really, really good stuff!

 

I'm truly inspired by your healthy attitude towards these changes.  I'm going to make some type of effort to roll with it myself.  I have no choice, I guess.

 

On mediocrity...   A person needs to focus in order to truly excel.  I'm getting better at skiing because I focus on it.  And that means ditching other activities.  I'm using the Rosetta Stone language CD's to work on a second language (Spanish) and I'm making very good progress because I'm ditching most TV shows.

 

Excelling at any thing is not the norm because people are too all over the place with their techno.  If the average person took stock of their life and the minutes in one day, they would be sickened by how much time they waste doing nothing.  Admittedly, this thread is a waste of my time!  ahahah  

 

Teaching high school in an inner-city, we keep hearing about "failing schools."  Well, the "schools" are failing because the students are not paying attention.  They are constantly, and I mean constantly, texting, fidgeting, Facebooking, emailing.  Everything BUT focusing on learning.  And when they fail, everybody wants to blame the teachers and ask Why are our schools failing?  Duh.  I just said why.

 

With technology always the focus, people are across the board, diluted, and they'll probably not experience excellence.  Excellence takes work and focus.  I saw an interview on 60 minutes with a Russian billionaire.  The man barely uses the computer and rarely uses a cell phone.  He is somebody driven and focused.  I think Bode Miller became such a good skier because he grew up in a mountain house with no extras.  There was focus.  Had he grown up spoiled in New York City, with an XBox playing something like "Call of Duty--Modern Warfare 2", and had a Facebook account, Myspace, texting and an Iphone, I seriously, seriously doubt he would ever have become a great skier.

 

I read a lot more when I make a firm decision that I'm not going to be TV literate.  (Ever notice the Jeopardy contestants know everything BUT the answers about TV shows?)  I've now decided It's okay that "everybody" but me is watching [name show].  I have to make a decision to not be a slave to keeping up with TV shows (there are an exhausting amount), because I want to EXCEL at other areas: skiing, reading, learning a new language, running, swimming.  These things take focus and drive and time.  Techno can actually enhance these things, but for the most part techno is a time vampire.

 

Again, BRAVO, for some awesome insight.  Definitely words to ponder.   


Edited by NYCJIM - 12/4/10 at 9:08am
post #236 of 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCJIM View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by majortato View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCJIM View Post
The same mess of a being who shows up to church wearing an AC-DC t-shirt with his wife and her tramp stamp and tatooed hooters hanging out (I know, I know, "What does it matter to you?") is the same third trimester abortion who's in your face in the restaurant saying "Why can't I use my phone?"  Uh, well, why can't you just masturbate quietly at the table too?  Uh, because it's rude and sloppy, disrespectful to your neighbors and grossly self-indulgent.  Comprende?  


So you argue that's the same.....but then argue that a person sitting quietly by himself listening to music is vastly different from a person sitting quietly by himself not listening to music.

 

LOL, you might want to think things through before you type next time.  It's too bad that a teacher of the next generation sounds like he didn't graduate high school himself.

 

are we at 7 yet?  I lost count.  btw, you're still grossly self-indulging in being outrageous.  how rude.

 

I don't understand your point.  You say "So you argue that's the same."  What is the antecedent to that?  What are you referring to?  What does "that" refer to?  And what does "same" refer to?  And you say I sound like I didn't graduate high school?  

 

 

You only confirmed your lack of education more with this post.  Read my post again...I quoted what you said.  You mentioned a few different scenarios and mentioned the word "same" numerous times.  It's right in front of your eyes...and you can't figure out what I meant when I said "you argue that's the same"?

post #237 of 293

No, I'm sorry, once again I have not a clue as to what you're talking about.  If that makes me stupid or uneducated, so be it.  I don't seem to have any problem understanding everybody else in the thread.  I can't ever it seems understand what your points are.  Is English not your first language?

post #238 of 293



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCJIM View Post

 

On another notes, this story is satisfying.  A man's phone exploded and almost took his ear off.  LOL!!!!!!!!!!  JUSTICE.  My dream is to see a skier one day texting while skiing and then slamming into a tree, ahahaha  That would be priceless!


So you will never use a cell phone then?

Or did cell phone only explode in resturant and chairlifts (or whereever other places YOU don't like to see it used)?
 

post #239 of 293

No, I don't think NYCJIM is Chaos, I think he's.....that football guy who keeps playing while "hurt" and saying he's "done", he'll retire.

Quote: post #178 on Dec 2
Originally Posted by NYCJIM View Post

... 

I'm officially retiring from this thread.

 

Toodles.


Here, a story on Dec 1st. A coincidence? I think not! He's just found a different venue.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Brett Favre Retirement Coming After 2010 Season; Vikings QB Says 'I'm Done'

Photo

 

Once again, Vikings QB Brett Favre says he's not returning to the NFL after the 2010 season.

 

Dec 1, 2010 - In news that will shock absolutely no one, Minnesota Vikings QB said this week that 2010 season is his last year. It surprises none of us because he's said this before. In fact, he's said he's in his final season the last four consecutive years.

 

 From:  http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2010/12/1/1849237/brett-favre-retirement-2010-season-vikings-qb

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 

So, we have many more of these to look forward to before screen name NYCJIM "retires" from this thread.

 

Here's "NYCJIM" in a commercial:

(Sure looks like Brett Favre to me!)

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigee View Post


When I took the Virginia Bar Exam in 2007 we had to leave all communications devices in our cars.  If we were even caught with a phone, etc in the building it was an automatic fail. the Bar Examiners made sure to warn us of this consequence multiple times over the course of the 2 day exam.

I really think they should use a hammer.

 

Hey, in NYC, it was the parents who started squawking when the schools tried to ban cell phones. "How are we going to get in touch with our kids?" etc.

-I don't know, maybe like the same way they've done it for decades? Worked fine on Sept 11th, very few kids had cell phones then.

post #240 of 293

Tog:  LOL!  Good one.

 

atnyc:  I'll use my cell phone.  I just won't use it to annoy others.  

 

Re:  texting on trains...  I was talking to a couple tonight that commutes into New York City from western New Jersey.  They have an hour and a half train ride each way, and they hate people who text!  I asked them why, and they said because the person always elbows them, rustles in their seat while texting, and they also said they find the sound of texting, slight though it may be, to be annoying.

 

I agree.  When you're trying to read or you want to relax it's real annoying listening to that click, click click. click-click-click.  Click.  Click-click-click.  Click, click, click.  Click-click-click-click-click.  And of course experiencing the elbow and the vibration in the seat as they feverishly pound these keys.  (So much for people sitting quietly and not bothering others while using their techno.)

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Why so much "techno" in America?