EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › OK, so who hit the slopes this weekend?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OK, so who hit the slopes this weekend?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

I did!  Did Loveland demo days yesterday with a crowd, but the snow was awesome and I had a great time for my first time out this season.  Today, my buddies and I hit Copper for more fun.  Ran into Dave (UGASKIDAWG) and Olivia, one of his daughters.  She's a little ripper!  I was skiing a easy bump run, when this young lady comes confidently down the slope just nailing turn after turn.  Her father stops and I asked if she was his daughter.  After he affirmed, I complimented her skiing, which I very much admired.  Turns out it was Dave!  He recognized me from the summer bike tour we did this year.  Amazing conincidences.

 

Dave, we've got to get out together this season and ski.  For the rest of you, did you hit the slopes this weekend?  It was quite lovely here in Colorado.

 

Mike

post #2 of 18

Well I got skunked.  I drove for 2 1/2 hours to get to Timberline, to find out 10 min after we got there, that they would not be opening today due to high winds on the upper mountain, and insufficient snow on the lower portion.  FIrst attempt at skiing since I moved to  Oregon=FAIL. 

post #3 of 18

My wife had a baby. So I was busy!

post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post

My wife had a baby. So I was busy!



I guess that's a good excuse...come up with a better one next time thoughwink.gif  Congrats!!

 

It was good seeing you Mike!!  Looking forward to great season and if todays conditions were any indicatoricon14.gif

post #5 of 18

 Copper yesterday with the fambly. It was pretty darn tasty, especially early. A few deep spots here and there where they had opened under Super Bee ... mostly too flat, but there were a couple of pitches where you could make 5 or so turns in shin (over boot) deep snow. (Yeah, I know, woo hoo, but it's November.) We quit at lunch, when it was getting crowded, but it wasn't too terribly crowded. Kids needed to get back to town for evening engagements.

post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

 Copper yesterday with the fambly. It was pretty darn tasty, especially early. A few deep spots here and there where they had opened under Super Bee ... mostly too flat, but there were a couple of pitches where you could make 5 or so turns in shin (over boot) deep snow. (Yeah, I know, woo hoo, but it's November.) We quit at lunch, when it was getting crowded, but it wasn't too terribly crowded. Kids needed to get back to town for evening engagements.


I was at Copper yesterday 9-11 am...skied some dust over crust under Excelerator- first real ungroomed terrain for me this year reminded me I'm not yet in top ski shape.  Saw Super Bee Running very slowly with nobody on it, but didn't realize anything under it was open.  Glad you got some!

 

Hit some nice soft snow at Keystone today when they dropped the ropes on Frenchman and Whipsaw...also got about 4" powder on the top of Dutchman the first time down.

 

Overall, natural snow is well ahead of this time last year with snow still falling!!!

post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEfree30 View Post


 Saw Super Bee Running very slowly with nobody on it, but didn't realize anything under it was open.  Glad you got some!


Yeah, not many people did realize it in the morning. Just the tops of Andy's and Oh No, then you had to take Easy Road back around to Excelerator, but that's okay. It was March before I skied snow that deep last year! (Well, not really, but almost)

post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 

Yea, we got a few runs through the stuff under the SuperBee. There was also a nice line on the far right of Upper Andy's with some loose snow.  The bumps on CDL and Minedump were pretty nice.

 

When I was a kid, you were lucky if you got to ski at Thanksgiving.  This is quite nice.

 

Mike

post #9 of 18

today should be good too!!!!!!

post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEfree30 View Post

today should be good too!!!!!!



jealous! have fun.

post #11 of 18

I was at abasin this past Saturday and it was terribly crowded. I did get to ski Loveland pass for the first time on the way back over. Got some powder coming down the Abasin side. Everything was tracked out on the Loveland side but man was the snow good and the coverage was way better then I expected, It was January before I got to ski terrain like that last year.   

post #12 of 18

 

i didnt because i live in the wrong state(texas) !  mad.gif

 

if my parents werent such trouble makers, i wouldnt have to keep an eye on them and i could move. biggrin.gif

post #13 of 18

Made some turns at Boreal (donner summit, CA)...snow was mixed, but no lift lines!  The next storm is due in on Friday, so cross your fingers...

post #14 of 18


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by MEfree30 View Post

today should be good too!!!!!!



jealous! have fun.

Turns out, I made quite the understatement!  If I had video or photos from today, you'd be really jealous.  Got rope drops, or close to at Brennan's Grin, Ridge above Rock Garden and Drainpipe.  The last was only open for a bit, but it was some of the deepest snow I have skied in CO.  Similar reports from friends who hit A-Basin and Loveland today! 
 

post #15 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEfree30 View Post

 

Turns out, I made quite the understatement!  If I had video or photos from today, you'd be really jealous.  Got rope drops, or close to at Brennan's Grin, Ridge above Rock Garden and Drainpipe.  The last was only open for a bit, but it was some of the deepest snow I have skied in CO.  Similar reports from friends who hit A-Basin and Loveland today! 
 


I can visualize that.  Too bad visualization is not as gratifying as experiencing it.  Lucky dog!

 

Mike
 

post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Birnie View Post

Well I got skunked.  I drove for 2 1/2 hours to get to Timberline, to find out 10 min after we got there, that they would not be opening today due to high winds on the upper mountain, and insufficient snow on the lower portion.  FIrst attempt at skiing since I moved to  Oregon=FAIL. 


That is a very sad way to start the season.  I hope you were at least with some good friends.  The snow gods owe you one now.  Be sure and write a trip report when they deliver.
 

post #17 of 18

Thank God La Nina is here!!!

post #18 of 18

So I think this may turn out to be the best early season for co in a while. It just keeps snowing!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › OK, so who hit the slopes this weekend?