EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Aggressive, competent woman seeks match to ski west powder and bumps...no groomers please.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Aggressive, competent woman seeks match to ski west powder and bumps...no groomers please.

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

5'-6", 120lbs (brown hair, brown eyes)

Prefer 2010 equipment, but would not rule out 2011.

 

Thanks

post #2 of 25

Oh, so you're looking for a ski to date on powder days. I wondered if Epic had opened a singles forum.

Watea 114, Sixth Sense Huge, Salomon Geisha, Volkl Gotama, Rossi S7 for a few to check out. these are skis I have either skied or looked into thoroughly. TD has the Fischer Porohete very cheap, but I didn't notice what lengths were left. It's very soft and a perfect width.

post #3 of 25
Thread Starter 

Well I guess my poor attempt at humor, was so bad, the obvious question has eluded everyone...except one.   My wife is not much of a gear head and has always enjoyed the skis that I have helped her select. Since all of our skiing is out West, she must upgrade her Burnin Luvs for a better powder ski, but I am afraid to get something so specialized that she will not enjoy the bumps like she does with the Luvs.  She cant really describe what she likes about her skis, but she is very vocal when they are not working for her. She states that she does not like a ski that is too stiff, but I thought the Burnin Luvs were considered a stiff womans ski?  Because of the stiffness, I have not encouraged her to consider any of the softer mens skis and I dont think it is necessary.  There seems to be some good choices out there in a woman specific ski.  She does not ski groomers and she does not ski fast.

 

I was eyeballing the Kiku or Kinja.

 

What charactaristics do I need to stay away from in a powder ski that would make it difficult in the bumps?  I know it is not just the width.

 

Anyhow, I will do more searching in the gear forum.  And any advice would be appreciated.  From a cost standpoint, if there are any previous models she should consider, let me know?

post #4 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by weogio View Post

Well I guess my poor attempt at humor, was so bad, the obvious question has eluded everyone...except one.   My wife is not much of a gear head and has always enjoyed the skis that I have helped her select. Since all of our skiing is out West, she must upgrade her Burnin Luvs for a better powder ski, but I am afraid to get something so specialized that she will not enjoy the bumps like she does with the Luvs.  She cant really describe what she likes about her skis, but she is very vocal when they are not working for her. She states that she does not like a ski that is too stiff, but I thought the Burnin Luvs were considered a stiff womans ski?  Because of the stiffness, I have not encouraged her to consider any of the softer mens skis and I dont think it is necessary.  There seems to be some good choices out there in a woman specific ski.  She does not ski groomers and she does not ski fast.

 

I was eyeballing the Kiku or Kinja.

 

What charactaristics do I need to stay away from in a powder ski that would make it difficult in the bumps?  I know it is not just the width.

 

Anyhow, I will do more searching in the gear forum.  And any advice would be appreciated.  From a cost standpoint, if there are any previous models she should consider, let me know?

Skis that come to mind in the Women's line are

K2 Missbehave

Line Pandora

Rossi S110

 

 

The Kiku is in the same category but has a bit of a stiff tail, while the Kenja is quite narrow by comparison.

 

If you're looking for something that doesn't have the early rise tip, you may think about the Nordica Nemesis.


 

post #5 of 25

It might be advisable to tighten this up a bit. If I were selling her a pair of skis I'd ask her if she is keeping the Burnin' (2 ski quiver) or was only going to have one (1SQ). Then I'd take these factors into consideration. BTW as TC pointed out, the Kenja and Kiku are not even close to the same category of ski. Here are some thoughts to help your focus.

 

(1): The Burnin' is stiff for a K2 but in the grand scheme notsomuch.

(2): You say you want a better powder ski. (easy enough, we're talkin' wide and maybe rockered)

(3): You say you don't want specialized. (also easy but subtracts from the width of #2)

 

So..........(2 ski quiver) = Her Burnin' Luv and one of the first three skis that TC mentioned along with the Kiku you are interested in. This is not difficult at all....they are all great choices. Buy whatever one you can find as some are starting to sell out.

 

OrSo......(1SQ) = Could be any number of skis in the mid-80 to 100mm range. Although the Volkl Kenja you are interested in and also the Aura fit into this range, I probably pass on those since they are rather stiff skis. Since she is not interested in groomer performance, I'd also pass on the K2 Lotta, Fischer Koa 84, Dynastar Eden, and other similar skis in this width range. I would start with the Line Celebrity 90 or 100, K2 Payback, Nordica Nemesis, Blizzard Crush, and Sollie Geisha. Those six skis range from 90-100mm and have variations on conventional camber, tip rise, and double rise.

 

There are another dozen or so great choices that I didn't mention but since she isn't a gearhead and this isn't newcleeer phiziks anyway, it is probably not advisable to get lost in "whattabout land".

 

SJ

post #6 of 25

Without getting into the rest of it - if you are thinking seriously about the Pandora, do the '11 SIr Francis Bacon. Reliable word is that the tip+tail rocker camber profile on the Bacon is vastly superior to the camber profile on the Pandora. Same basic shape...

post #7 of 25

IMHO, if she plans to keep her K2's, I'd think hard about a Rossi 110S. Assuming it's a lighter iteration of the S7, will be goofy and forgiving enough to doodle on, but will hold up nicely for a charging expert, can deal with groomers nicely, absolutely slays powdery woods, chop, and big soft bumps. There's a reason it tends to sell out early...

 

Only weakness is that it'll have a (fairly high) speed limit in big open areas with heavy snow, so maybe something more like a Nemesis or Pandora if that's your wife's cuppa tea. Those will hold up better in rough or heavy conditions at speed, but won't be as much fun in lighter pow or tight places.

post #8 of 25
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

It might be advisable to tighten this up a bit. If I were selling her a pair of skis I'd ask her if she is keeping the Burnin' (2 ski quiver) or was only going to have one (1SQ). Then I'd take these factors into consideration. BTW as TC pointed out, the Kenja and Kiku are not even close to the same category of ski. Here are some thoughts to help your focus.

 

(1): The Burnin' is stiff for a K2 but in the grand scheme notsomuch.

(2): You say you want a better powder ski. (easy enough, we're talkin' wide and maybe rockered)

(3): You say you don't want specialized. (also easy but subtracts from the width of #2)

 

So..........(2 ski quiver) = Her Burnin' Luv and one of the first three skis that TC mentioned along with the Kiku you are interested in. This is not difficult at all....they are all great choices. Buy whatever one you can find as some are starting to sell out.

 

OrSo......(1SQ) = Could be any number of skis in the mid-80 to 100mm range. Although the Volkl Kenja you are interested in and also the Aura fit into this range, I probably pass on those since they are rather stiff skis. Since she is not interested in groomer performance, I'd also pass on the K2 Lotta, Fischer Koa 84, Dynastar Eden, and other similar skis in this width range. I would start with the Line Celebrity 90 or 100, K2 Payback, Nordica Nemesis, Blizzard Crush, and Sollie Geisha. Those six skis range from 90-100mm and have variations on conventional camber, tip rise, and double rise.

 

There are another dozen or so great choices that I didn't mention but since she isn't a gearhead and this isn't newcleeer phiziks anyway, it is probably not advisable to get lost in "whattabout land".

 

SJ

 

That for all the help guys...her BLs are 170... for example, what might be a good length for the Celebrity 100?

 

Scott

 

post #9 of 25

165

 

SJ

post #10 of 25

In skis from the performance end of the spectrum, the 165cm has a really great flex, tuned to the size skier on that ski, far softer than say a 184cm of the same model. Those skis with a different construction for each length of the same model ski can downscale the ski proportionally very well in the 165cm.

 

perfect call on that, SJ

post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by weogio View Post



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

It might be advisable to tighten this up a bit. If I were selling her a pair of skis I'd ask her if she is keeping the Burnin' (2 ski quiver) or was only going to have one (1SQ). Then I'd take these factors into consideration. BTW as TC pointed out, the Kenja and Kiku are not even close to the same category of ski. Here are some thoughts to help your focus.

 

(1): The Burnin' is stiff for a K2 but in the grand scheme notsomuch.

(2): You say you want a better powder ski. (easy enough, we're talkin' wide and maybe rockered)

(3): You say you don't want specialized. (also easy but subtracts from the width of #2)

 

So..........(2 ski quiver) = Her Burnin' Luv and one of the first three skis that TC mentioned along with the Kiku you are interested in. This is not difficult at all....they are all great choices. Buy whatever one you can find as some are starting to sell out.

 

OrSo......(1SQ) = Could be any number of skis in the mid-80 to 100mm range. Although the Volkl Kenja you are interested in and also the Aura fit into this range, I probably pass on those since they are rather stiff skis. Since she is not interested in groomer performance, I'd also pass on the K2 Lotta, Fischer Koa 84, Dynastar Eden, and other similar skis in this width range. I would start with the Line Celebrity 90 or 100, K2 Payback, Nordica Nemesis, Blizzard Crush, and Sollie Geisha. Those six skis range from 90-100mm and have variations on conventional camber, tip rise, and double rise.

 

There are another dozen or so great choices that I didn't mention but since she isn't a gearhead and this isn't newcleeer phiziks anyway, it is probably not advisable to get lost in "whattabout land".

 

SJ

 

That for all the help guys...her BLs are 170... for example, what might be a good length for the Celebrity 100?

 

Scott

 



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

165

 

SJ


X2 

post #12 of 25
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weogio View Post



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

It might be advisable to tighten this up a bit. If I were selling her a pair of skis I'd ask her if she is keeping the Burnin' (2 ski quiver) or was only going to have one (1SQ). Then I'd take these factors into consideration. BTW as TC pointed out, the Kenja and Kiku are not even close to the same category of ski. Here are some thoughts to help your focus.

 

(1): The Burnin' is stiff for a K2 but in the grand scheme notsomuch.

(2): You say you want a better powder ski. (easy enough, we're talkin' wide and maybe rockered)

(3): You say you don't want specialized. (also easy but subtracts from the width of #2)

 

So..........(2 ski quiver) = Her Burnin' Luv and one of the first three skis that TC mentioned along with the Kiku you are interested in. This is not difficult at all....they are all great choices. Buy whatever one you can find as some are starting to sell out.

 

OrSo......(1SQ) = Could be any number of skis in the mid-80 to 100mm range. Although the Volkl Kenja you are interested in and also the Aura fit into this range, I probably pass on those since they are rather stiff skis. Since she is not interested in groomer performance, I'd also pass on the K2 Lotta, Fischer Koa 84, Dynastar Eden, and other similar skis in this width range. I would start with the Line Celebrity 90 or 100, K2 Payback, Nordica Nemesis, Blizzard Crush, and Sollie Geisha. Those six skis range from 90-100mm and have variations on conventional camber, tip rise, and double rise.

 

There are another dozen or so great choices that I didn't mention but since she isn't a gearhead and this isn't newcleeer phiziks anyway, it is probably not advisable to get lost in "whattabout land".

 

SJ

 

That for all the help guys...her BLs are 170... for example, what might be a good length for the Celebrity 100?

 

Scott

 

Oops...try again...5'-6", 120lbs, her Burnin Luvs are 160, not 170...would this point to the 158 Celebrity 100?  If I stay in the 90-100 range, I should be looking at a slightly shorter ski for her?  With the same widths, what would you think would feel too short?

 

Thanks for your patience.

 

Scott

 

post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by weogio View Post



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weogio View Post



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

It might be advisable to tighten this up a bit. If I were selling her a pair of skis I'd ask her if she is keeping the Burnin' (2 ski quiver) or was only going to have one (1SQ). Then I'd take these factors into consideration. BTW as TC pointed out, the Kenja and Kiku are not even close to the same category of ski. Here are some thoughts to help your focus.

 

(1): The Burnin' is stiff for a K2 but in the grand scheme notsomuch.

(2): You say you want a better powder ski. (easy enough, we're talkin' wide and maybe rockered)

(3): You say you don't want specialized. (also easy but subtracts from the width of #2)

 

So..........(2 ski quiver) = Her Burnin' Luv and one of the first three skis that TC mentioned along with the Kiku you are interested in. This is not difficult at all....they are all great choices. Buy whatever one you can find as some are starting to sell out.

 

OrSo......(1SQ) = Could be any number of skis in the mid-80 to 100mm range. Although the Volkl Kenja you are interested in and also the Aura fit into this range, I probably pass on those since they are rather stiff skis. Since she is not interested in groomer performance, I'd also pass on the K2 Lotta, Fischer Koa 84, Dynastar Eden, and other similar skis in this width range. I would start with the Line Celebrity 90 or 100, K2 Payback, Nordica Nemesis, Blizzard Crush, and Sollie Geisha. Those six skis range from 90-100mm and have variations on conventional camber, tip rise, and double rise.

 

There are another dozen or so great choices that I didn't mention but since she isn't a gearhead and this isn't newcleeer phiziks anyway, it is probably not advisable to get lost in "whattabout land".

 

SJ

 

That for all the help guys...her BLs are 170... for example, what might be a good length for the Celebrity 100?

 

Scott

 

Oops...try again...5'-6", 120lbs, her Burnin Luvs are 160, not 170...would this point to the 158 Celebrity 100?  If I stay in the 90-100 range, I should be looking at a slightly shorter ski for her?  With the same widths, what would you think would feel too short?

 

Thanks for your patience.

 

Scott

 



No................165 is the correct size. I based my recommendation upon her size and ability rather than your statement of what she was skiing on.

 

BTW.....if they were 170's, they would be too long.

 

SJ

post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 

Bump...

 

OK guys and gals, we have narrowed the search and will be deciding between two already mentioned options:

 

'11 Missbehaved in either at 159

'11 Missbehaved in either at 169

'11 Line Celebrity 100 at 165

 

Prices are similar, stats are similar, not sure if charactaristics are similar.  Having trouble choosing between 159 or 169 on the K2s. 

Can you guys help me get this off my plate before the inventory is shot?

 

A third distant option if we go with 2 quiver solution would be the Pandora, but we really need to stick with a single quiver for us Southerners.

 

Scott

post #15 of 25

Atomic Century 166cm

post #16 of 25

Hey StartHaus guys; shame on you.  My wife dumped her 2 month old Geishas after a day on the Dynastar Paradise and you guys have a smokin deal on them.  Totally under the radar ski and an excellent choice.

post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawBrat View Post

Hey StartHaus guys; shame on you.  My wife dumped her 2 month old Geishas after a day on the Dynastar Paradise and you guys have a smokin deal on them.  Totally under the radar ski and an excellent choice.



Ha, I have skied the Geishas and the Paradise and liked the Geisha's a bit better, but both are great skis.  Different strokes, eh?

 

And yes, Start Haus has had some smokin deals on both skis but the Geisha was sold out some time ago. 

post #18 of 25
Thread Starter 

Thanks for all the help, not.  OK, I get it, its June and all the real skiers are south of the equator without internet.  Anyway, if anyone has any input for the stated inquiry, it would be appreciated.

 

G

post #19 of 25


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weogio View Post

OK, I get it, its June and all the real skiers are south of the equator without internet. 

 

G


Nope; just busy packing for Mammoth.
 

 

post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by weogio View Post

Bump...

 

OK guys and gals, we have narrowed the search and will be deciding between two already mentioned options:

 

'11 Missbehaved in either at 159

'11 Missbehaved in either at 169

'11 Line Celebrity 100 at 165

 

Prices are similar, stats are similar, not sure if charactaristics are similar.  Having trouble choosing between 159 or 169 on the K2s. 

Can you guys help me get this off my plate before the inventory is shot?

 

A third distant option if we go with 2 quiver solution would be the Pandora, but we really need to stick with a single quiver for us Southerners.

 

Scott



Of those on your list, the Line Celebrity 100 is the best 1 ski quiver for what she's looking for. 

icon14.gif

 

And ......what Squaw Brat said.......us real skiers are either hiking or have Mammoth in our sights. 

 

post #21 of 25

There is one insie winchie highly technical question to ask:

 

Will the ski match her outfit and her eyes?.

 

Trust me, you don't want to tell her the red and white pair match are 'bloodshot'duel.gif

post #22 of 25
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post



Skis that come to mind in the Women's line are

K2 Missbehave

Line Pandora

Rossi S110

 

 

The Kiku is in the same category but has a bit of a stiff tail, while the Kenja is quite narrow by comparison.

 

If you're looking for something that doesn't have the early rise tip, you may think about the Nordica Nemesis.


 


So, TC what have you learned that causes you to change your stripes?  Why the Celebrity over the Missbehave? The Pandora is too fat.  I am also circling back to the Kiku at 162 also.

 


 

 

post #23 of 25

If your wife is only 120#, she may not need an 100+ waisted ski, particularly if you  are skiing light, dry powder.  The Rossignol S3 is probably plenty wide at 98mm, and is nimble enough that the bumps will still be fun.   The rockered tip and tail also help in powder, and the camber underfoot make them a breeze to ski on the groomers.

 

For heavier, wetter snow, I adore my Rossi S7s (they've been slaying the slush up here in WA).  They do knock around a little in the bumps, but for everything else they are a joy.  They do have a pintail, which means getting in the backseat with them is Not Recommended. 

post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by weogio View Post



 


So, TC what have you learned that causes you to change your stripes?  Why the Celebrity over the Missbehave? The Pandora is too fat.  I am also circling back to the Kiku at 162 also.

 


 

 


In the beginning you asked for a "ski west powder ski - no groomers please" Now you're asking for something that will be more of a "one ski quiver"

 

The Pandora will be a great powder ski, and will be okay in the bumps but not ideal. (same goes for the Missedbehaved, although the previous version of Missedbehaved was a better all mountain ski)

The Celebrity 100 will be more of a good all mountain ski that will be pretty good in the powder.

 

Remember, for everything you ask a ski to do, it gives up something else. 

 

 

post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by weogio View Post



 


So, TC what have you learned that causes you to change your stripes?  Why the Celebrity over the Missbehave? The Pandora is too fat.  I am also circling back to the Kiku at 162 also.

 


 

 



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post




In the beginning you asked for a "ski west powder ski - no groomers please" Now you're asking for something that will be more of a "one ski quiver"

 

The Pandora will be a great powder ski, and will be okay in the bumps but not ideal. (same goes for the Missedbehaved, although the previous version of Missedbehaved was a better all mountain ski)

The Celebrity 100 will be more of a good all mountain ski that will be pretty good in the powder.

 

Remember, for everything you ask a ski to do, it gives up something else. 

 

 



Maybe the person for whom the skis are for might want to chime in to exactly what SHE wants. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Aggressive, competent woman seeks match to ski west powder and bumps...no groomers please.