or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Free ski house for a week too good to be true?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Free ski house for a week too good to be true?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

I just replied to this add on Craigslist to find out what the catch is.

 

"Ski week (4 th week in January) One bedroom fixed week time share. Maintenance fees paid thru December. It is yours free"

 

I replied.."free with what?"

 

I'm guessing maintenance fees for January or whatever costs what it usually costs to rent a house there.  I'll let folks know what I find out.  Anybody else ever reply to an ad like this.  I've heard about the ones where they offer a weekend and spend the whole time trying to sell more timeshares so you never get to actually ski.  Probably something like that.

post #2 of 8

Do it & give us a report on how much furniture is left in your house when you get back home.  

post #3 of 8

It could be someone that is looking to get out from under their timeshare as they can't afford the annual maintenance fees.  They may just want to give the whole thing away, permanently, since it is probably worthless on the resale market.

post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post

Do it & give us a report on how much furniture is left in your house when you get back home.  



Oh, mom would most likely stay home if I were to go with a kid or two.  At the very least an old, mean, 90 pound dog would be home.

post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwdrhnd View Post

It could be someone that is looking to get out from under their timeshare as they can't afford the annual maintenance fees.  They may just want to give the whole thing away, permanently, since it is probably worthless on the resale market.


I guess it depends on where it is in relation to the ski mountain.  There are three ski areas within 40 miles of each other and this lists the most popular one as the location.  Hotels and motels are usually booked solid during ski season out there so I always assumed the ski houses weren't cheap and weren't easily available very often.  But you never know, sometimes a scorned divorcee gives away stuff just so the other person can't have it haha. 

post #6 of 8

If the maintenance fees are higher than what the unit could fetch on the rental market... guess what... the place is WORTHLESS.

 

I remember seeing some near giveaways like this before.  I just feel sorry for the suckers that paid good money for them.

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe View Post

If the maintenance fees are higher than what the unit could fetch on the rental market... guess what... the place is WORTHLESS.

 

I remember seeing some near giveaways like this before.  I just feel sorry for the suckers that paid good money for them.


That was the deal.  Take over fees starting in January to get week 4 January.  I didn't even ask how much they were. 

post #8 of 8

They give them away, and probably hope you'll love it so much, you'll take it off them.

 

I'm in a country where rents in US resorts or annual fees lift passes etc can be twice as high as what you pay due to foreign exchange.

 

I found the annual fees are less than anyone I know on websites can get rentals for. I can move them to  Australia if our $ plummets, and as our $Aussie is 20% better than New Zealand's, I can do NZ resorts cheep. Plus I can stay in manors in England, Ireland, Europe and almost whatever's left in the world that has snow (except Japanese resorts !!!!).

 

But our economy ignored the GFC and it went away. smile.gif

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Free ski house for a week too good to be true?