EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Mounting Look Pivot 12 bindings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mounting Look Pivot 12 bindings

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

I picked up a pair of Pivot 12's, new, but no box or manual. There is an orange rubber piece for the heel.

 

I'm just trying to figure out if it is supposed to go between the binding and the ski, or between the lifter and the metal rail?  It fits both places, but not sure which is correct.

 

I've searched through various tech manuals and that piece is never mentioned.

post #2 of 19

They have a lifter and a rubber spacer?  I thought they sounded like Look PX12 Jibs, but now I'm not so sure as the Jibs don't have a lifter plate, only rubber spacers which go under the bindings next to the ski.

post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 

The orange piece.

 

 get-attachment.aspx?uid=1.29633140&folder=NewMail&partId=2

post #4 of 19
Thread Starter 

Nothin????

post #5 of 19

How about a picture...none showing there. 

post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherPlayThanWork View Post

The orange piece.

 

 get-attachment.aspx?uid=1.29633140&folder=NewMail&partId=2



Your link only works for people logged in to an AOL server.  You need to either upload the photo using the upload tool or post it someplace public like photobucket.com and link it from there instead of AOL.

post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 

How about now?  Never done this before.

 

pivot.jpg

post #8 of 19

if the 4 integral "pins" and the one integral "square" all index

to the rail, I'd say under the rail.

  I would like to see a picture of the lifter plate without

anything on top of it.  Are there raised plastic sections

on its topside where the screws go through?

No of my pivots of that style have a rubber piece like that.

Could it be a packing screw retaining piece?


Edited by John J - 11/1/10 at 2:00pm
post #9 of 19

The orange piece does index to the rail. Its should be mounted under the metal rail when mounting flat to the ski. Toss it if you're using the lifter.

 

Its most important function is to provide the forward pressure indicator when the lifter isn't there - the square cut out along the side matches up with the markers on the lifter and indicate the correct range for the third marker on the heel slider itself.

post #10 of 19

     Quote:

Originally Posted by Squawker View Post

Toss it if you're using the lifter.



No - don't toss it.  Send it to me!  Those things are tough to get a hold of and they are of value if you don't want to use a lifter with the heel.

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodler View Post

     Quote:



No - don't toss it.  Send it to me!  Those things are tough to get a hold of and they are of value if you don't want to use a lifter with the heel.


Apologies Noodler.. more a figure of speech than anything else. Me? I never actually toss anything that might be useful!

post #12 of 19
Thread Starter 

Thanks. 

 

So, lifter or not on a pair of Rossi S3's?

post #13 of 19

No lifter....shorter screws... are they in package?

post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherPlayThanWork View Post

Thanks. 

 

So, lifter or not on a pair of Rossi S3's?



Maybe! Do you have two sets of screws - short for no lifter, long for lifter? There should be two sets if everything is there. If not then the length of the screws could make the decision for you.

 

To be honest, the lifter isn't going to make a big difference one way or the other. It provides a little more leverage, buts we're only talking about a few millimetres. A lot of folks say they want as little lift as possible on a wide ski - but I like the Power 140s (basically the same as Pivot 12) on my Big Troubles just fine with the lifter in place.

 

Something to think about (or to confuse you more)..... Look bindings get accused of having a large delta (height difference between toe and heel, resulting in ramp angle). The modern trend is to have little or no delta (e.g. Marker Royal Family). Zero delta can easily be achieved on the Pivot by using the toe with lifter and the heel without.

post #15 of 19

Are these more race skis for your kids?  USSA stack height rules might be a factor on the lifter/no lifter decision. 

post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawker View Post





Maybe! Do you have two sets of screws - short for no lifter, long for lifter? There should be two sets if everything is there. If not then the length of the screws could make the decision for you.

 

To be honest, the lifter isn't going to make a big difference one way or the other. It provides a little more leverage, buts we're only talking about a few millimetres. A lot of folks say they want as little lift as possible on a wide ski - but I like the Power 140s (basically the same as Pivot 12) on my Big Troubles just fine with the lifter in place.

 

Something to think about (or to confuse you more)..... Look bindings get accused of having a large delta (height difference between toe and heel, resulting in ramp angle). The modern trend is to have little or no delta (e.g. Marker Royal Family). Zero delta can easily be achieved on the Pivot by using the toe with lifter and the heel without.

Yes, I have all the screws. I had thought about not using the rear lifter as I have very little range of motion in my ankles due to some medical issues.

 

post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

Are these more race skis for your kids?  USSA stack height rules might be a factor on the lifter/no lifter decision. 


Not sure if that was a joke.  Rossi S3's are pretty far form a race ski. 98mm w/ rocker'

post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherPlayThanWork View Post



Yes, I have all the screws. I had thought about not using the rear lifter as I have very little range of motion in my ankles due to some medical issues.

 

Not a boot guy..... but it seems to me that restricted ROM might be a reason to use the (rear) lifter.

 

post #19 of 19

FWIW,  I always mount my Look/Rossi/Dynastar bindings with the toe lifted but the heel not lifted for a couple reasons:  remove some ramp angle from the bindings,  and to aid in reducing the forward lean in my boots.  I add some lift under my footbed which,  combined with the un-ramped binding,  results in slightly less forward lean in my boots requiring less range of motion from my ankles.  Seems to work for me.

 

AM.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Mounting Look Pivot 12 bindings