EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › For the love of God! Somebody buy these and save me from myself!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

For the love of God! Somebody buy these and save me from myself!

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

So I was doing really good, minding my business and planning on not buying skis this year, as I have a dozen pair in my active quiver, and need to put a new engine in my truck. However these seductive gems jumped out in front of me, and are teasing me, trying to get me to go back on my plans, and wipe out all of my progress.

 

They will continue to taunt me for some time, unless someone steps up and delivers me from the temptation! Help! I can't get them out of my mind, and only really would use them for seven nights of racing a year anyway. I wonder how they are still there, but part of me is already trying to interpret their presence as my destiny. HELP!

 

It's a screaming deal, a $1300 pair of skis, used once, for $275! Help this recovering addict out! Move them out of my reach!

 

post #2 of 24

You want these, you need these, you should buy these....

post #3 of 24

Were the made in Colorado?

Too short for you.

(just trying to help)

post #4 of 24

Going once...Going twice...

 

You better hurry.

post #5 of 24

Yikes! And I thought the Kastle FX were sirens! At the risk of sounding stupid, what kind of skier are these for? and why is the cut so steep if they have only been used once?

post #6 of 24

And here I thought you were talking about my Praxis Powders on ebay that ends a 2pm today

post #7 of 24



175cm?   With a 3-10?    Isn't that a bit teensy for you VA?     Shouldn't you be on 180cm+ with 614s?

post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by keniski View Post

At the risk of sounding stupid, what kind of skier are these for? and why is the cut so steep if they have only been used once?


These are for the Jaguar driver.    

 

They are fast cruisers with a big sweet spot, (as big as the old optical Chubbs) with far more edge responsiveness than any Chubb ever had.    Very nice for spring conditions as they stay stable on refrozen chunky snow and can power through slush.    No moguls though, you really don't want to prang them.

 

The cut is steep because there's really no market for them.  Mind you the fuzzy plush velvet bag they come in is kinda nice. 

post #9 of 24

Thanks for the info. Pretty cool-looking ski.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post




These are for the Jaguar driver.    

 

They are fast cruisers with a big sweet spot, (as big as the old optical Chubbs) with far more edge responsiveness than any Chubb ever had.    Very nice for spring conditions as they stay stable on refrozen chunky snow and can power through slush.    No moguls though, you really don't want to prang them.

 

The cut is steep because there's really no market for them.  Mind you the fuzzy plush velvet bag they come in is kinda nice. 

post #10 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post



175cm?   With a 3-10?    Isn't that a bit teensy for you VA?     Shouldn't you be on 180cm+ with 614s?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Were the made in Colorado?

Too short for you.

(just trying to help)

 

Yeah, well it is silly short, but thatsa good for carving on ice, no? As for the bindings, I would replace them with an appropriately manly binding.

It is true that they are Austrian, but I was willing to overlook that because they are used.

Quote:


Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

You want these, you need these, you should buy these....

 

You are no help at all!

post #11 of 24
Thread Starter 

I will likely pass, but they seem like such a sweet deal, I feel the pangs from not having bought any skis for a year now. What a wreck am I.

 

BTW, anyone notice the seller's handle?

post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by volantaddict View Post

 

Yeah, well it is silly short, but thatsa good for carving on ice,

Ice? You need a minimum 3 degree side bevel for ice. You don't want to take a sidewall planer to them, now do you?

post #13 of 24
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Were the made in Colorado?

Too short for you.

(just trying to help)





Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post



175cm?   With a 3-10?    Isn't that a bit teensy for you VA?     Shouldn't you be on 180cm+ with 614s?





Quote:
Originally Posted by volantaddict View Post



 

 

Yeah, well it is silly short, but thatsa good for carving on ice, no? As for the bindings, I would replace them with an appropriately manly binding.

It is true that they are Austrian, but I was willing to overlook that because they are used.

Quote:





Quote:
Originally Posted by volantaddict View Post

I will likely pass, but they seem like such a sweet deal, I feel the pangs from not having bought any skis for a year now. What a wreck am I.

 

BTW, anyone notice the seller's handle?


Way too short. 

 

$40.00 shipping = gouging.

post #15 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Were the made in Colorado?

Too short for you.

(just trying to help)



These are Atomic Volants. 

post #16 of 24
Thread Starter 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

Way too short

 

$40.00 shipping = gouging.

 

Heh, the absurdity of anyone on epic saying any ski is too short is teh funnay. I actually think they would be a pretty sweet carver to race on, and though they are puny short, they certainly would be easy enough to wheel on a dime, or around a gate. Last year I ended up racing on my Machete FBs, I was thinking something shorter would be a step toward the racer dudes who dominate our beer league on 165s (though my pride won't let me ski anything that short.)

 

$40.00 IS excessive, but $315 for that ski seems pretty good. They're dead on sexy. Damn Atomic for not making it in a 185!

post #17 of 24

Have any of you shipped skis from the East Coast to the West?   This $40.00 might not even cover heavy Volants with bindings.     These are a great deal.   Buy them and brag....    On one comment you say they are worth more and then you say that the shipping is excessive.  Which is it??? 

post #18 of 24
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderpuff View Post    On one comment you say they are worth more and then you say that the shipping is excessive.  Which is it???

 

I don't like choosing sides, so I'll say both. I'm paradoxical that way.

 

So, are you a blond woman?

 

 

 

post #19 of 24

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

 

$40.00 shipping = gouging.


Not at all. I just recently shipped a pair of skis (no bindings) from SA to Vermont for an exchange, and it cost me almost exactly ~$40 via USPS. The seller's asking price for shipping is fair.

post #20 of 24

Traced the seller to his own website - interesting read.  The guy says he invented fat skis - Odyssey skis, back in 1991.  I guess he duked it out with K2 in court for a decade or so.  Check out his current models here:

 

www.skiodyssey.com
 
The Ogres with the duckfoot binding mount look....well.....interesting.
 
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by volantaddict View Post

 

 

 

Heh, the absurdity of anyone on epic saying any ski is too short is teh funnay. I actually think they would be a pretty sweet carver to race on, and though they are puny short, they certainly would be easy enough to wheel on a dime, or around a gate. Last year I ended up racing on my Machete FBs, I was thinking something shorter would be a step toward the racer dudes who dominate our beer league on 165s (though my pride won't let me ski anything that short.)

 

$40.00 IS excessive, but $315 for that ski seems pretty good. They're dead on sexy. Damn Atomic for not making it in a 185!


 

Unless your beer league has real SL flushes I'd still say anything under 180 is too short for going fast and having real fun on for anybody over 160 pounds.  I don't care how stiff they are otherwise.

 

That said, I get a real rush on my 170 cm Head SSiWC when I open them up... but only because they get sketchy at high speeds.  The real purpose I have for them is zipping super tight turns at moderate speeds skiing through crowds.  Of course they would be fun in a real SL course too.. But, not really ideal for anything I've seen available to the general public lately.


Edited by crgildart - 11/1/10 at 8:25am
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post

 


Not at all. I just recently shipped a pair of skis (no bindings) from SA to Vermont for an exchange, and it cost me almost exactly ~$40 via USPS. The seller's asking price for shipping is fair.



I've shipped skis with bindings to/from the west coast and parts inbetween via UPS for under $20.00 several times.  I recommeng shopping the competition.

post #23 of 24

 

I would call any kind of racing on skis with a 76mm waist "foolish" especially given the size of your quiver.  It might be permissible if you have 1 pair of skis.  These appear to be an all-mountain ski.  Sounds like they might be pretty in your living room but they won't help you on the mountain. 

 

If you want some cheap race ski porn check this out, RMM has a board but its slim pickings.  You can get cheap race skis all over the place if you don't care what year they're from.

http://www.nemasters.org/forsale.html

 

most on there might not be keen on shipping unless you do some hand holding.

post #24 of 24
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proneax View Post

 

I would call any kind of racing on skis with a 76mm waist "foolish" especially given the size of your quiver.  It might be permissible if you have 1 pair of skis.  These appear to be an all-mountain ski.  Sounds like they might be pretty in your living room but they won't help you on the mountain. 

 

If you want some cheap race ski porn check this out, RMM has a board but its slim pickings.  You can get cheap race skis all over the place if you don't care what year they're from.

http://www.nemasters.org/forsale.html

 

most on there might not be keen on shipping unless you do some hand holding.

Yeah, I know they aren't race skis, but, being Volants they struck my fancy, and have a much shorter turn radius and narrower waist than what I ended up racing on last year (I started on 200 Superkarve Legends, but switched to 185 Machete FBs after the first couple weeks). I know that I might find something much more race worthy for less, but if I'd just rested on that knowledge, and pursued it, then I wouldn't have started this silly thread, and what fun would that have been. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › For the love of God! Somebody buy these and save me from myself!