EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 4frnt MSPs in Backcountry
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

4frnt MSPs in Backcountry

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Anyone have experience with the 4frnt MSP's in steep trees, powder, variable terrain etc?

 

I'm really looking for an all-mountain performer that I can also have some fun ripping off-piste CO/UT.

 

I'm an advanced skier 5'10" 176lbs who skis more aggressively than with finesse -- primarily looking at the MSP's (181), but also considering the following in order:

 

4frnt MSP

 

Liberty Helix

Blizzard Answer

Volkl Gotama

Armada ARV

 

 

post #2 of 10

I would also add the Line Prophet 90 or Prophet 100 depending on how wide you want the skis, i think the 100 is a little softer too. They are easy turning skis and they both have a metal in their core so they can handle speed and aggressive skiers. Also i have heard they are a very all mountain ski.

post #3 of 10

I haven't skied the MSPs, but have given them a close inspection.  Because of their stiffness and weight, I think there would be better choices if powder performance is a main priority.  Other than that they should rip on variable stuff.  I have the Helixs and love them- I would probably recommend them more than the MSPs.  Helix have great torsional rigidity and solid performance on harder stuff, but are very playful and pretty floaty in powder, especially for a traditional camber ski.  Pre-rocker Goats would be fun too, but would probably cost you more than the Helixs.

post #4 of 10
Thread Starter 

downhillin99 and hiplainsdrifter ... thanks for the feedback.

 

I will take a closer look at the Line 100 ... I've just heard some mixed things about Line skis. I'm thinkin the Helix and Double Helix are both pretty sick skis -- they've gotten amazing reviews and I can only imagine how playful a pair of bamboo sticks might be. So yeah, it's very close between the MSP 181's and a pair of Helix 187's. Call me a sucker for graphics, but the new '10-'11 MSP top sheet is unreal -- damn, why did they have to do that.

post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cospbot View Post

downhillin99 and hiplainsdrifter ... thanks for the feedback.

 

I will take a closer look at the Line 100 ... I've just heard some mixed things about Line skis. I'm thinkin the Helix and Double Helix are both pretty sick skis -- they've gotten amazing reviews and I can only imagine how playful a pair of bamboo sticks might be. So yeah, it's very close between the MSP 181's and a pair of Helix 187's. Call me a sucker for graphics, but the new '10-'11 MSP top sheet is unreal -- damn, why did they have to do that.


You have heard un-educated bias based on old experiences. Line has solid quality.

post #6 of 10

?  I think Line topsheets are way soft and easy to ding up.  Overall, I would say I like Line skis as a brand and think they make some good stuff.  I wouldn't go around saying people are uneducated though.  I have actually skied the P100 as an all mountain setup on all conditions, and I would definitely recommend Gotamas or Helix over them, as the P100s have a soft snow oriented flex, but the tip profile makes them too hooky in powder.  This is just my opinion.  I think they do most things pretty well, but nothing really well.

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiplainsdrifter View Post

?  I think Line topsheets are way soft and easy to ding up.  Overall, I would say I like Line skis as a brand and think they make some good stuff.  I wouldn't go around saying people are uneducated though.  I have actually skied the P100 as an all mountain setup on all conditions, and I would definitely recommend Gotamas or Helix over them, as the P100s have a soft snow oriented flex, but the tip profile makes them too hooky in powder.  This is just my opinion.  I think they do most things pretty well, but nothing really well.


Just saying that a lot of people's opinion of line stems from their older ski's. I didn't enjoy the P100 is anything over 6 inches either, but felt they were pretty solid in just about any other condition.

post #8 of 10

How do you think the Helix compares to the pre-rockered Gotoma?  Are they lighter or about the same in weight and do they ski similarly?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiplainsdrifter View Post

I haven't skied the MSPs, but have given them a close inspection.  Because of their stiffness and weight, I think there would be better choices if powder performance is a main priority.  Other than that they should rip on variable stuff.  I have the Helixs and love them- I would probably recommend them more than the MSPs.  Helix have great torsional rigidity and solid performance on harder stuff, but are very playful and pretty floaty in powder, especially for a traditional camber ski.  Pre-rocker Goats would be fun too, but would probably cost you more than the Helixs.

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 

one of my dilemmas if I was to go with the Helix would be choosing a length. I've heard it skis shorter, but I'm also concerned 187 might be a little too much ski for me while 176 is too short for a twin. I'm 5'10" 175lbs and ski aggressively and looking for something more backcountry-friendly with a little rocker and not quite as stiff as my Volkl AC50's (177).

post #10 of 10

I think the Gotama and the Helix definitely ski similarly, but the Helix has more pop/liveliness an consequently is a little more confidence inspiring in tight places.  I am not sure on the weight, you might have to do a search.  They are close.

 

I am 6 ft. 175 lbs and a fairly aggressive skier, and I had no problem on the 187 Helix.  I think they have a bit more tail than the Gots, so the running length is similar.  Plus, in the backcountry a little more length is always a good thing as it provides more fore/aft stability while skiing fast lines in powder.  Both are good skis, I would say it would pretty much boil down to brand preference and graphics.  I prefer the Helix for the aforementioned reasons, but it would be hard to go wrong with either.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › 4frnt MSPs in Backcountry