EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Advice On Salt Lake City Trip Please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice On Salt Lake City Trip Please

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

I am thinking of staying at the Avenues Hostel in Salt Lake City due to it's affordability allowing me to extend my trip.  Their site states being able to get to the Cottonwood Resorts via Bus and Bus/Trax combinations from the hostel.  Link thier page below, if you click on the "ski Info" link and scroll down it shows their recommended routes.

 

 

 http://www.saltlakehostel.com/ 

 

 

My alternative would be to rent a car (sorry, yet another post debating to car or not to car in Salt Lake) But if the connections are good I may not need one and if I rent a car it would be a compact two wheel drive so I would take public transportation in dicey canyon conditions anyway.

 

Has anyone stayed at the Avenues Hostel and do you recommend it?

 

Has anyone used any of their public bus/trax routes to resorts, again, recommend or not?

 

If I rent a car what would be my best option with restricted conditions in the canyons?  I'm thinking of driving down to the Fort Union Boulevard Park And Ride in Midvale and catching one of their earlier buses up, or just skiing Park City.

 

Any advice or an idea I'm not thinking of ?

 

Thank You

 

post #2 of 18

My plan with the non-4wd is to go to Snowbasin or BCC (if possible) when it gets too dicey.  As well, you won't have to fight the hordes for the goods.

post #3 of 18

A car is $20/day.  Esp staying downtown you have to schlep your gear, wait for the bus in the pollution filled air.  Hope a car doesn't splash mud on you.  Then take an hour bus ride staring at other sports.  Then maybe even transfer you say.  Then line up at the end of the day, hopefully not in a big line, I've often seen them at the Snowbird Center.  I would save a few extra bucks for the car.  If the weather is bad you can drive down to Fort Union or go elsewhere.  The car is worth the 20 bucks, even alone.  Parking is free.  Your on vacation, enjoy.  When are you going?

post #4 of 18

I can't imagine taking a ski vacation in SLC without a car. I know its possible but I also am sure it would suck big time.

post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post

I can't imagine taking a ski vacation in SLC without a car. I know its possible but I also am sure it would suck big time.


Amen ... Bingo ... and I did not even have to type it smile.gif

 

Don't spend the money for such a trip and put yourself in a situation wherein you do not have a car and/or a way to go.  If for whatever reason the plan changes; you want to go out ; go shopping - whatever - you are at the mercy and reliability of the bus service.  Unless I'm staying slopeside, and in Park City ... the thought of a Utah trip without a car seems foolish to me.

post #6 of 18
Thread Starter 

What everyone says seems to back up what I have read on other threads and posts regarding a car in S.L.  So I will probably rent one, even without the car it's about a $20 cab ride to and from the Hostel and Airport so there's $40 by itself and the bus is only free if you buy a superpass it think.

 

I am thinking of relocating to S.L. so staying at the Avenues will give me a chance to explore that neighborhood on foot, and the Sugarhouse, Harvard/Yale, Capitol Hill neighborhoods a short drive or maybe even walking distance.  Thus the reason for extended stay, need to ski AND explore.

 

JoeSchmoe:  I have read BCC is less avalanche prone due to canyon walls being considerably less steep, so I am assuming it opens ealier, close with less frequency, and easier to navigate during times of big storms?

 

SnowbirdDevotee:  My target date is sometime in January, my schedule is flexible that month so I am trying to land the best airfare.  From what I have read the Midvale Fort Union spot is the best for early departures and getting a good seat.  Since I will be staying up in the Avenues do you know of a park and ride/bus stop up in that area that would be better than Midvale for seat, departure, and travel time?

 

 

The car will be more than $20 a day because I will probably use Hertz which tends to run on the high end, and unless I take it for one or two weeks (7 or 14 days) I will wind up paying a daily rate for a time. 

 

 

Thanks eveyrone for your input, keep any additionall thoughts or suggestions coming

 

post #7 of 18

I always rent while in SLC.  If your on a buget some other benefits of having a car are, you can buy drinks and stuff to make sandwiches and eat in the car instead of paying the high prices on the mountain.  I have never stayed at the hostel but I would bet that you could find someone there that is tired of riding the bus and willing to give some gas money for a ride to the mountain.  I always run into people that wished they had a car.

 

As SnowbirdDevotee said, I have seen some of the lines to get on the bus at Alta and Snowbird, and I wouldnt want to be standing on the side of the road in the morning waiting on the bus.

post #8 of 18

You can get better information on where to get on the bus during a powder day when you are there.  But understand, there are two levels of powder days.  For a moderate storm the 4 Wheel Drive will be in play, then you can get local info in SLC on best where to get on the bus.  But it actually might be better to be on the bus before Fort Union so you are guaranteed a seat, I have participated in the zoo lineup at FU!  Everyone will have the same idea as you, including locals w/o 4W. 

 

For a heavy storm the LCC road will be delayed opening, and there could be an enormous couple mile and couple hour backup to get up.  That don't happen too often but a regular SLC traveler will absolutely encounter that problem.  However, almost always the BCC canyon road is open, but 4W will be on, then you could get the BCC bus. 

 

Or drive to Snowbasin, (what could be better on a powder day) or PC.  But getting to PC could be dicey in a big storm.  The pass on I80 can get wicked.

 

You don't need to have every single detail worked out beforehand, because local knowledge will be key while you are there.  Of course, many people where you are staying won't know any better than you.  And accept that it doesn't always snow and all roads could be completely dry.  Read my wiki.

post #9 of 18
Why not go to Park City, then you will definitely not need a car. The public bus is free and you can get to 3 different resorts.
post #10 of 18

I agree with renting a car, advantage is usually the cheapest onsite.  There's a TR from a maggot on TGR, that stayed at that hostel and used public transportation.   I think it was 2 hours each way to the Bird. 

post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 

Thanks SnowbirdDevotee, never thought about Snowbasin, and Google Maps puts it at about 55 minutes from Avenues Hostel.  Not much further than Alta and Snowbird.

 

hobojo:  Stayed in P.C. for 5 days of my trip last year (Park Plaza) along with Snowpine at Alta, yes it is VERY convenient but my plan is to experience some of the Salt Lake neighborhoods along with skiing.  But you need a car or have to take public transportation to get to the resorts.

 

Shredhead:  I assume TR stands for trip report?  What's the TGR?  (Sorry, new to forum) 

 

 

Regarding January snowfall at Alta and Snowbird which is discussed on the Early Season Snowbird thread, last year I was there in early January, not much snow.  I called the Alta ticket/season pass office today and the lady said that January can be dominated by high pressure and also get sunny and slushy, saying it was a very unpredicatable month.

 

Then I called the front desk at the Alta Peruvian, the gentleman stated that January is as good a month as any for snow, and that the weather is colder with not as much sun so the snow is nice and fresh, and crowds are less than February and March.

 

So I'm just as confused as ever regarding January arrival.

post #12 of 18

If you look at monthly snowfall, January is as good as any month. However, I have experienced the January high. However, I assume the stats are probably correct and you are just as likely to get snow then as nay month. Actually, the most snow for a sustained period that I have ever seen was in last couple of weeks of January. Unfortunately, this was before I knew how to ski powder.  it was my first trip to utah and I was amazed. On that trip they had a 100 year avalanche in BCC which completely buried the road. Luckily in middle of night with no one on road. The whole hillside with trees, boulders etc was taken out. Quite impressive. But anyway, that was January.

post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Steve View Post. Unfortunately, this was before I knew how to ski powder.


Steve, you can ski powder now?

post #14 of 18

I didn't say I could ski it well.

post #15 of 18

 

TGR:

 

http://tetongravity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=3

 

 

 

Search function is rather cumbersome, just ask, they are very helpful. 

post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFrostFan View Post

Regarding January snowfall at Alta and Snowbird which is discussed on the Early Season Snowbird thread, last year I was there in early January, not much snow.  I called the Alta ticket/season pass office today and the lady said that January can be dominated by high pressure and also get sunny and slushy, saying it was a very unpredicatable month.

 

Then I called the front desk at the Alta Peruvian, the gentleman stated that January is as good a month as any for snow, and that the weather is colder with not as much sun so the snow is nice and fresh, and crowds are less than February and March.

 

So I'm just as confused as ever regarding January arrival.

 

Both answers are true. It can be high pressure or it can be stormy with big snow falls. It's unpredictable.

post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post



 

Both answers are true. It can be high pressure or it can be stormy with big snow falls. It's unpredictable.


Yes ... it's a thing called "weather".

post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorm57 View Post




Yes ... it's a thing called "weather".



Or Mother Nature, who, although she may not like it, can have her actions predicted to a degree by applying historical data and statistical probability...Assuming the data providers are credible and unbiased of course.

 

 

Thanks everyone for the help keep any new thoughts coming.  So far if you throw everything into the wash January looks no more riskier than any other potential good snow month.  But two givens seem to be a better chance for fresher snow and less crowded

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Advice On Salt Lake City Trip Please