New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fun with Mr. Bosu...

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

In my never-ending quest to keep my workouts interesting, effective and efficient, I have begun to incorporate a Bosu ball into both upper and lower body work. Since I have benefitted from the collective wisdom in this forum in the past, I figure I would pass on what I am doing.

 

I have started doing curls on a Bosu ball.

Balance on the platform with a short pre-weighted curl bar in hands. While maintaining balance, do repetitions slowly and evenly. To make it more interesting, I try to replicate the angulation move with each rep. To most, it would look like I am essentially stepping from side to side, weighting and unweighting legs alternately with each rep. And while the bar is going up and down, and while the lower body is moving slighty from side to side, the upper body (above waist) remains absolutely still. Shoulders remain square. To make it more challenging, really slow it all down. It takes a fair amount of control and concentration to keep it all together, but you can develop a nice rhythm, much like in skiing. And it really emphasizes the separation between a "quiet" (static) upper body and dynamic lower.I do the same technique with individual dumb bells.

 

I have started doing some shoulder work with dumbells and kettle as well, all on the Bosu, again with the lateral move.

 

I have not figured out a chest routine yet that could incorporate it.

 

As for legs, I have started doing squats on the Bosu ball as well. I have been on the sled for too long. While you get good power, there is no core benefit.

I grab a short pre-loaded curl bar, once again. I cross my hands and park the bar up under my collar bone. I am recovering from a torn rot cuff/labral tear and can not tolerate a bar behind my head. And I think the balance is better withthe bar in front as well. And you can easily drop it if need be. So with the bar under the collar bone, do full squat, balancing all the while. If the bar gets too heavy, you can raise up your elbows and that brings the shoulders into it for support.

I have not figure out a side to side element yet. Probably not a good idea anyway, given the weight you are carrying with the squat.

 

This has created a really nice dynamic change in my workouts. While I have only one dedicated leg day, the upper body sets on the Bosu are like mini leg routines.

 

If anyone intends to try this, please first get real comfortable on the Bosu without weight. Do dry runs (without weights) to get the rhythm down. Then go for it.

Enjoy!

David

post #2 of 12

Dave,

I think I'll try working that in.  Sounds interesting.

 

One of the leg workouts I've been doing on the bosu is doing squats without weights; first two leg squats to warm up (about 10) and then single leg.  To keep it interesting I alternate left to right but count - 1 -1,2 - 1,2,3 - 1,2,3,4 - etc. to ten.  You end up getting 25 on one side and 30 on the other.

 

Have you tried squats while holding a weight in front of you above shoulder height on one side and as you squat bring it to lower than your hips on the other.  Anything that changes your CM seems to really help with balance and getting the support muscles.

 

Ken

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 

Ken,

That weightless routine might make a nice "interval" set, especially if done quickly.

Sorry, but I can not wrap my mind around the other routine you describe. How do you hold the weight, and what is the sequence?

Cheers,

David

post #4 of 12

Like this but standing on a bosu

 

http://www.fitskiing.com/Articles---Videos/Ski-Exercises/Core-Exercises/Medicine-Ball-Wood-Chop-Diagonal.aspx

 

 

Lots of good stuff at this site.

post #5 of 12

 You can do almost anything on/with the bosu ... pushups, planks, side planks ... and don't forget to turn it upside down and stand on the flat side. Or do pushups and planks that way. Balance with your eyes shut as long as you can on it. Anything one-legged or one-armed.

post #6 of 12

^ I like doing most of those on my bongo board.

post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

 You can do almost anything on/with the bosu ... pushups, planks, side planks ... and don't forget to turn it upside down and stand on the flat side. Or do pushups and planks that way. Balance with your eyes shut as long as you can on it. Anything one-legged or one-armed.


 

To clarify, the routines I describe above are done on the flat side.

David


Edited by deliberate1 - 10/30/10 at 7:03pm
post #8 of 12


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliberate1 View Post




 

To clarify, the routines am am describing above are done on the flat side.

David


Then turn it on the other side, too. :-) You can get two, and go from squishy side to squishy side ... I get bored easily, so the variety of the bosu is great for me.

post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post


 


Then turn it on the other side, too. :-) You can get two, and go from squishy side to squishy side ... I get bored easily, so the variety of the bosu is great for me.

I am imaging myself hopping laterally from one squishy Bosu to another one. Why not. The folks at Gold's already think I am nuts. They don't get it - even when I am wearing my Hart T shirt.

David

 

PS: L&AirC thanks much for the fitski link. Great stuff!
 


Edited by deliberate1 - 10/31/10 at 3:25pm
post #10 of 12

I love using the bosu ball also.  Doing crunches, hip bridges, boxer curls, balancing

post #11 of 12

3 for you


 

1- using two bosu's flipped upside down- do pushups with hands in center on each ball

2- do one-arm pushups with the weight-bearing arm on the floor and the lesser on the bosu- hand in the center. 

3- put a bosu upside down, place hands on sides of the ball center place body over the center of the ball AND for added fun, place the other ball at your feet; place either updide down or right side up- place both feet in center or alternate one foot up and switch feet every few pushups.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliberate1 View Post

In my never-ending quest to keep my workouts interesting, effective and efficient, I have begun to incorporate a Bosu ball into both upper and lower body work. Since I have benefitted from the collective wisdom in this forum in the past, I figure I would pass on what I am doing.

 

I have started doing curls on a Bosu ball.

Balance on the platform with a short pre-weighted curl bar in hands. While maintaining balance, do repetitions slowly and evenly. To make it more interesting, I try to replicate the angulation move with each rep. To most, it would look like I am essentially stepping from side to side, weighting and unweighting legs alternately with each rep. And while the bar is going up and down, and while the lower body is moving slighty from side to side, the upper body (above waist) remains absolutely still. Shoulders remain square. To make it more challenging, really slow it all down. It takes a fair amount of control and concentration to keep it all together, but you can develop a nice rhythm, much like in skiing. And it really emphasizes the separation between a "quiet" (static) upper body and dynamic lower.I do the same technique with individual dumb bells.

 

I have started doing some shoulder work with dumbells and kettle as well, all on the Bosu, again with the lateral move.

 

I have not figured out a chest routine yet that could incorporate it.

 

As for legs, I have started doing squats on the Bosu ball as well. I have been on the sled for too long. While you get good power, there is no core benefit.

I grab a short pre-loaded curl bar, once again. I cross my hands and park the bar up under my collar bone. I am recovering from a torn rot cuff/labral tear and can not tolerate a bar behind my head. And I think the balance is better withthe bar in front as well. And you can easily drop it if need be. So with the bar under the collar bone, do full squat, balancing all the while. If the bar gets too heavy, you can raise up your elbows and that brings the shoulders into it for support.

I have not figure out a side to side element yet. Probably not a good idea anyway, given the weight you are carrying with the squat.

 

This has created a really nice dynamic change in my workouts. While I have only one dedicated leg day, the upper body sets on the Bosu are like mini leg routines.

 

If anyone intends to try this, please first get real comfortable on the Bosu without weight. Do dry runs (without weights) to get the rhythm down. Then go for it.

Enjoy!

David



 

post #12 of 12

Did my sets of one legged squats on upside-down bosu's this weekend. want balance and biuld small foot/ankle muscles?  Try these

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: