or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What ski are you most stoked about this year?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What ski are you most stoked about this year? - Page 2

post #31 of 81

Skilogik's  Ullr's Chariot....

Keelty went nuts over this one..

 

Anyone on these yet?

post #32 of 81

Waiting for these

74360_10100120339924728_10700760_53377112_2477826_n.jpg

post #33 of 81
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post

Waiting for these

74360_10100120339924728_10700760_53377112_2477826_n.jpg



Sick Viciks dood!  

 

Livin' under a barleycorn sky...  Few things can make a man salivate like pictures of his skis before they're shipped.

 

post #34 of 81

Those are 176's actually. Waiting on 186's. But the topsheet came out great

 

I just pick mine up at the factory.

post #35 of 81

I'm drooling over these:

 

2011-dynastar-6th-sense-slicer-skis-h.jpg

 

but I may have to make some room for them, and I doubt that I'll see any days when they'd be better suited than Big Troubles.

post #36 of 81



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do Work View Post

Everybody's got at least one pair they've been lusting for and dreaming about- what's yours? 

 

I have been salivating over the idea of a fatter & rockered version of my PM Gear 183s for some time, and when Pat came up with one, I jumped at the chance and gave him a down payment at the speed of light.  Scored myself the only pair in the world right now, and can't wait to get my dynaduke plates on 'em!  Soooooo stoked! 

 

NEWBROS.jpg

 

136-111-125 with a rockered Lhasa tip and slightly rockered tail, stiff underfoot becoming progressively softer towards the tip.  Same sidecut and radius as the original, but with half-carbon and half-fiberglass layup.  Approx 24cm of rocker run and 65mm of rise up front, and a very small ~8cm tail run/16mm rise for the tail.  Total weight 4.2 lbs each.         

 

So what are YOU drooling over?  C'mon, you MUST be stoked about something new out there!  Let's have it! 



All my new stuff, that I'm drooling over is old.  Some used, one pair never mounted.  So I'm drooling over a pair of never touched Atomic Arc Ambition's 163's I think.  They have Atomic Race 614's on them now.  I have put about $150.00 into tuning, and that's just edge work.  I also stuffed them in my Zoom Box for hours to fill them with Zoom!   These skis have the ceramic infused bases near the edges.  They are around 109-63-100.  A 13m turn ski.  The edges are so fine, I'm going to be scared to even ski them.  I think I'll just use them for show for a while anyway at first!  I'd let them go for around $800.00 dollars though!   Fat chance!


Edited by Jacques - 11/11/10 at 1:36pm
post #37 of 81


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post





All my new stuff, that I'm drooling over is old.  Some used, one pair never mounted.  So I'm drooling over a pair of Atomic Arc 163's I think.  They have Atomic Race 614's on them now.  I have put about $150.00 into tuning, and that's just edge work.  I also stuffed them in my Zoom Box for hours to fill them with Zoom!   These skis have the ceramic infused bases near the edges.  They are around 109-63-100.  A 13m turn ski.  The edges are so fine, I'm going to be scared to even ski 


I enjoy the time I spend prepping my gear almost as much as I enjoy skiing on it.  Once I work hard and get a pair race ready, or bumps or fluff ready, I don't let them go neglected for more than 12 hours of skiing or so so it is only the new acquisitions that get major bench time.  But all do get their turn so to speak

post #38 of 81

I kind of just want to get on the snow but.....

 

I bought a pair of BentChetler's from Phil at "Da' Haus"  I like the flex, energy and profile of this ski- I hope its as much fun on the snow.... 

 

I also snagged a pair of MX98's this summer.  Since I was blown away with the 78's and my 88's I have very high expectations for this ski.

post #39 of 81
  1. DPS Wailer 112 RP
  2. White Dot Freeride Ragnarok XII
  3. Anton Gliders UFOria XA
  4. ON3P Billy Goat
  5. EpicPlanks Crop Duster
  6. Virus Taipan
post #40 of 81

I'm excited to ski everything this year.  Just cannot wait to ski.  I completely overhauled my quiver this year, adding both new Dynastar Mythic Riders as my everyday ski, and new Dynastar 6th Sense Huges as powder skis.  I also bought a used pair of Karhu Special Agents for crude skis ($50!!!), and am switching my old Rossi Scratches over to an AT ski.  Then there's the race skis, which all carry over from last year: 2 pairs Fischer World Cup SL and 2 pairs Fischer World Cup GS

post #41 of 81

I demoed the Ullrs' Chariot and another Ski Logic ski yesterday at Loveland.  I didn't like them too much.  They were OK, but felt pretty dead and uninteresting once I wasn't looking at their amazing top-sheets.  Of course the conditions were hardpack and not ideal for this ski, but the other fat skis I tried the same day skied better.

 

Skis Demoed:

Kastle MX 88

Kastle MX 78

Ski Logic Ullers Chariot

Ski Logic

Armada JJ

Armada 

Rossi S7

 

Funnest Ski....  Armada JJ

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfp158 View Post

Skilogik's  Ullr's Chariot....

Keelty went nuts over this one..

 

Anyone on these yet?

post #42 of 81

top sheet gimmickery and a good performing ski seem mutually exclusive to me.

note to self: some of the best skis made today have the simplest, most understated elegant designs for top sheets.

post #43 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticSkis View Post

  1. DPS Wailer 112 RP
  2. White Dot Freeride Ragnarok XII
  3. Anton Gliders UFOria XA
  4. ON3P Billy Goat
  5. EpicPlanks Crop Duster
  6. Virus Taipan



are you drooling and stoked over these skis, or repping them. not really the same thing with respect to the intention of the OP's question.

 

and if you are a rep, it'd be considerate of you to type it in as your signature. if you're not, then my bad and I apologize in advance.

post #44 of 81

Got both of these two weeks ago... they are now mounted and ready to go.  Very, very stoked to get out there!

 

Lhasa Pows (186) and the new 179s...

 

img6910g.jpg

post #45 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post

I demoed the Ullrs' Chariot and another Ski Logic ski yesterday at Loveland.  I didn't like them too much.  They were OK, but felt pretty dead and uninteresting once I wasn't looking at their amazing top-sheets.  Of course the conditions were hardpack and not ideal for this ski, but the other fat skis I tried the same day skied better.

 

Skis Demoed:

Kastle MX 88

Kastle MX 78

Ski Logic Ullers Chariot

Ski Logic

Armada JJ

Armada 

Rossi S7

 

Funnest Ski....  Armada JJ

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfp158 View Post

Skilogik's  Ullr's Chariot....

Keelty went nuts over this one..

 

Anyone on these yet?


THANK YOU, finally a voice of reason. Quite frankly, I trust TPJ's opinion on the Ski Logik more than PK's. 

post #46 of 81

^^^^ Interesting. Since PK tends to rate wider skis alongside measles, was also surprised. Took a look at the SL website, can't see a lot of difference between the concept (or construction) and other custom makers like Folsom or Prior (both of whom have been around longer than Ski Logik).

 

Makes me wonder (again) how Keelty actually does his sampling. Have long had a feeling that the less common skis (Stocklis, Kastles, Antons, Sterling, Palmers etc) he extols may have been skied by a handful of raters, say Ski Sharp for Stocklis, so more statistical chance of very high or very low ratings. Wish he would present N's for each ski rating. Sampling (or a bias toward traditional lift-served skiing) might also explain why he tends to ignore/consign to "Alaska/competition" most fats used out west by <40's, and limits the Indies to one or two (typically Armada and formerly 4FRNT, now DPS), rather than rating the major online players like PM Gear, Fatypus, Moment, and so on. Could just be as simple as SK had some demos for rating, others did not. Again, he ain't sayin' th_dunno-1[1].gif

 

Alternatively, he and his evaluators may just love damp, beefy skis that shine on hardpack. (See: Heads, Stocklis, Kastles) Ullr's Chariot comes in at well over 10 lbs - for a 101 mm ski eek.gif - and from the construction looks pretty beefy. Notice he gives far lower marks to DPS. 

 

Anyway, lost interest in the Chariot when I saw it was all about wood inlay. Can find way nicer coffee tables for that price point...

post #47 of 81

Icelantic Nomad SFT 181's.  Can't wait.  biggrin.gif.  Can't wait to float w/out goin' backseat.

post #48 of 81

I didn't hate the Ski Logic boards.  I just, personally, thought that they were less fun some others that I skied.  They seem beefy and I don't think they would fall apart.  I might love them in powder or crud, which is what they are actually made for.  I think their price point is good and I think some people would enjoy having a fantastic looking ski.  I enjoyed other skis more is all.  The shop that I represent (Jackson Hole Sports) has a limited number of Ski Logics with custom JH graphics.  I could see some wealthy visitor choosing to buy them for their second home, maybe for decoration and occasional use.  My skis are tools not jewels and I was disappointed with the Ski Logics because I really wanted to love them.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

^^^^ Interesting. Since PK tends to rate wider skis alongside measles, was also surprised. Took a look at the SL website, can't see a lot of difference between the concept (or construction) and other custom makers like Folsom or Prior (both of whom have been around longer than Ski Logik).

 

Makes me wonder (again) how Keelty actually does his sampling. Have long had a feeling that the less common skis (Stocklis, Kastles, Antons, Sterling, Palmers etc) he extols may have been skied by a handful of raters, say Ski Sharp for Stocklis, so more statistical chance of very high or very low ratings. Wish he would present N's for each ski rating. Sampling (or a bias toward traditional lift-served skiing) might also explain why he tends to ignore/consign to "Alaska/competition" most fats used out west by <40's, and limits the Indies to one or two (typically Armada and formerly 4FRNT, now DPS), rather than rating the major online players like PM Gear, Fatypus, Moment, and so on. Could just be as simple as SK had some demos for rating, others did not. Again, he ain't sayin' th_dunno-1[1].gif

 

Alternatively, he and his evaluators may just love damp, beefy skis that shine on hardpack. (See: Heads, Stocklis, Kastles) Ullr's Chariot comes in at well over 10 lbs - for a 101 mm ski eek.gif - and from the construction looks pretty beefy. Notice he gives far lower marks to DPS. 

 

Anyway, lost interest in the Chariot when I saw it was all about wood inlay. Can find way nicer coffee tables for that price point...

post #49 of 81


I went to the Kastles first just for you Phil!biggrin.gif

 

Originally Posted by Philpug View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post

I demoed the Ullrs' Chariot and another Ski Logic ski yesterday at Loveland.  I didn't like them too much.  They were OK, but felt pretty dead and uninteresting once I wasn't looking at their amazing top-sheets.  Of course the conditions were hardpack and not ideal for this ski, but the other fat skis I tried the same day skied better.

 

Skis Demoed:

Kastle MX 88

Kastle MX 78

Ski Logic Ullers Chariot

Ski Logic

Armada JJ

Armada 

Rossi S7

 

Funnest Ski....  Armada JJ

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfp158 View Post

Skilogik's  Ullr's Chariot....

Keelty went nuts over this one..

 

Anyone on these yet?


THANK YOU, finally a voice of reason. Quite frankly, I trust TPJ's opinion on the Ski Logik more than PK's. 

post #50 of 81

And, how did you like the Kastles?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post


I went to the Kastles first just for you Phil!biggrin.gif

 

Originally Posted by Philpug View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post

I demoed the Ullrs' Chariot and another Ski Logic ski yesterday at Loveland.  I didn't like them too much.  They were OK, but felt pretty dead and uninteresting once I wasn't looking at their amazing top-sheets.  Of course the conditions were hardpack and not ideal for this ski, but the other fat skis I tried the same day skied better.

 

Skis Demoed:

Kastle MX 88

Kastle MX 78

Ski Logic Ullers Chariot

Ski Logic

Armada JJ

Armada 

Rossi S7

 

Funnest Ski....  Armada JJ

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfp158 View Post

Skilogik's  Ullr's Chariot....

Keelty went nuts over this one..

 

Anyone on these yet?


THANK YOU, finally a voice of reason. Quite frankly, I trust TPJ's opinion on the Ski Logik more than PK's. 


 
post #51 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticSkis View Post

  1. DPS Wailer 112 RP
  2. White Dot Freeride Ragnarok XII
  3. Anton Gliders UFOria XA
  4. ON3P Billy Goat
  5. EpicPlanks Crop Duster
  6. Virus Taipan



are you drooling and stoked over these skis, or repping them. not really the same thing with respect to the intention of the OP's question.

 

and if you are a rep, it'd be considerate of you to type it in as your signature. if you're not, then my bad and I apologize in advance.


There are a few in there that can only be bought online directly from the manufacturer, I hardly think he rep's them.

post #52 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post


I went to the Kastles first just for you Phil!biggrin.gif

 

Originally Posted by Philpug View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post

I demoed the Ullrs' Chariot and another Ski Logic ski yesterday at Loveland.  I didn't like them too much.  They were OK, but felt pretty dead and uninteresting once I wasn't looking at their amazing top-sheets.  Of course the conditions were hardpack and not ideal for this ski, but the other fat skis I tried the same day skied better.

 

Skis Demoed:

Kastle MX 88

Kastle MX 78

Ski Logic Ullers Chariot

Ski Logic

Armada JJ

Armada 

Rossi S7

 

Funnest Ski....  Armada JJ

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfp158 View Post

Skilogik's  Ullr's Chariot....

Keelty went nuts over this one..

 

Anyone on these yet?


THANK YOU, finally a voice of reason. Quite frankly, I trust TPJ's opinion on the Ski Logik more than PK's. 


 


If I want opinions on bigger skis Real Skiers are not the skiers that I want opinions from. I can get a ton of FREE reviews from REAL SKIERS who are somewhat like minded as me.

post #53 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticSkis View Post

  1. DPS Wailer 112 RP
  2. White Dot Freeride Ragnarok XII
  3. Anton Gliders UFOria XA
  4. ON3P Billy Goat
  5. EpicPlanks Crop Duster
  6. Virus Taipan


I'm pretty excited about the Kastle 98, but for kicks and because they are from near my home town in Michigan, I'd love to try the EpicPlanks

post #54 of 81

Phil...  I will get around to posting a review later.  SJ has set the bar impossibly high and I don't want to embarrass myself.biggrin.gif  Spoiler:

 

Best

Armada JJ

Kastle 78

Kastle 88

Rossi S7

Ski Logic

Ski Logic Ullrs Chariot

Armada

 

Worst

 

I need to look up the models and lengths on some of these.  I'll start a new thread.

 

Ecimmortal...  Sorry I'm too real for you!eek.gif  I guess my opinions are only worth what you paid for them.

 

BTW I generally haven't liked "big" skis in the past.  I think most of the people I see on them are posers who kinda suck at skiing and get away with sucking at skiing because of the huge board holding them up.  I wasn't even going to try the JJ because of the hardpack conditions.  I was surprised  by how fun the JJ was and how good it was at craving short turns on hardpack.  My friend Mike was giving me funny looks when I came back with the JJ.  After seeing me having so much fun, he took it out next.  He didn't care for it on the first run, on the second he was grinning, on the third he was laughing. The JJ was his favorite ski that day as well.  We both skied the JJ in a 185.  I'm 5'10 165.  He's probably well over 200 lbs.  I am surprised that 2 guys with so much weight difference would describe the length on the same ski as perfect.

post #55 of 81

If you can, post the reviews over in the review section. http://www.epicski.com/products/category/alpine-skis

post #56 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post

Phil...  I will get around to posting a review later.  SJ has set the bar impossibly high and I don't want to embarrass myself.biggrin.gif  Spoiler:

 

Best

Armada JJ

Kastle 78

Kastle 88

Rossi S7

Ski Logic

Ski Logic Ullrs Chariot

Armada

 

Worst

 

I need to look up the models and lengths on some of these.  I'll start a new thread.

 

Ecimmortal...  Sorry I'm too real for you!eek.gif  I guess my opinions are only worth what you paid for them.

 

BTW I generally haven't liked "big" skis in the past.  I think most of the people I see on them are posers who kinda suck at skiing and get away with sucking at skiing because of the huge board holding them up.  I wasn't even going to try the JJ because of the hardpack conditions.  I was surprised  by how fun the JJ was and how good it was at craving short turns on hardpack.  My friend Mike was giving me funny looks when I came back with the JJ.  After seeing me having so much fun, he took it out next.  He didn't care for it on the first run, on the second he was grinning, on the third he was laughing. The JJ was his favorite ski that day as well.  We both skied the JJ in a 185.  I'm 5'10 165.  He's probably well over 200 lbs.  I am surprised that 2 guys with so much weight difference would describe the length on the same ski as perfect.


Not sure how you took that. I was reffering to the fact that people pay some guy money to look at a website with ski reviews. And that those reviews are somewhat narrow minded from what I have seen. It is nice to see a real skier as yourself get on a funshape ski, and do just that..Have fun! I agree with Phil. I would rather get your opinion than some guy who is getting paid for his opinion, and has to cater to a certain audience.

post #57 of 81

and yet you find exoticskis to be an objective reviewer (he's never met an indie he wouldn't go to bed with) and believe that direct sales brands don't promote their product, promote meaning not objective?th_dunno-1[1].gif

post #58 of 81

Just to clarify a few things. Peter is not paid by the ski companies and accepts no advertising dollars. he makes 100% of his revenue from subscribers.  His reviews are submitted by shops around the country and his own. He has His favorite skis and then the testers favorites. He's very honest and ethical guy. IMHO his reviews are more front side oriented however he has included many more brands and wider skis. Interestingly, Peter is also from the school that skills make the skier and tends to prefer narrow boards.

 

TPJ- glad you played around with some wider boards and were open-minded to them. I do agree they make great "training wheels" as I call my beloved fat skis.... but they are fun and that's exacty why I ski them. I did fall madly in love with the MX88's this August so does that mean I have skills now?  smile.gif

post #59 of 81

Ecimmortal....  I was just laughing at your confidence/interest in my opinion is all.  I learned long ago not to take the internet personally.

 

Finn...  I've tried wide boards before that I didn't care much for.  I do try to get on as many skis as possible in a season.  I will be spending some time on an S7 this year and should be familiar with them by spring.  I didn't do the second day of the test.  I was planning on getting on some Icelantics (thinking of you) and some Prophets and the Scarpa Mobe boot.  I missed out on skiing with you at The Ghee last year, but was under the impression that you ski fine.wink.gif

post #60 of 81

 

OK, here they are.  Let me see if I can upload the photos.

 

100_7886.JPG

 

100_7887.JPG

 

 

 

100_7894.JPG

 

 

 

 

100_7895.JPG

 

  I hope you are licking your lips now!

 

 

100_7893.JPG

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What ski are you most stoked about this year?