EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Need a new Ski to compliment my 184 Mantra's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need a new Ski to compliment my 184 Mantra's

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

Guys,

 

Last year I bought a pair of Mantra’s as my west coast ski / powder day ski. This year I’m looking for an all mountain ski for the east coast, something good in the trees and bumps and can fight through crud ( I want something with good flex for bumps and quick turns). I’m 5’9” 180lbs expert level, I’m looking at something in the 170cm length preferably 80 or so mid waist.. I was looking at the ac-30 from volkl but I’m looking for something slightly more affordable. I plan on doing a Demo on these so please give me a list so I can try some.

 

Thank you

 

Frank.

 

PS) I know there’s posts about these types of skis, but I’m looking for something that will specifically compliment the mantra..

post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremity View Post

Guys,

 

Last year I bought a pair of Mantra’s as my west coast ski / powder day ski. This year I’m looking for an all mountain ski for the east coast, something good in the trees and bumps and can fight through crud ( I want something with good flex for bumps and quick turns). I’m 5’9” 180lbs expert level, I’m looking at something in the 170cm length preferably 80 or so mid waist.. I was looking at the ac-30 from volkl but I’m looking for something slightly more affordable. I plan on doing a Demo on these so please give me a list so I can try some.

 

Thank you

 

Frank.

 

PS) I know there’s posts about these types of skis, but I’m looking for something that will specifically compliment the mantra..


 

your mantras are an all mountain ski...? cause well they are. 

 

 

anything in 80mm range will not ski trees, or crud as well as your Mantras, well at least not just due to waist width the mantra are stiff and kill them in trees.

 

 

 

 

post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 

You ever try to ski 184 mantra's in East coast bumps ? does not play out too well, it's not awful but I wouldn't classify it as fun either. Yes my mantra's are GREAT in the crud and good in trees, but the 184 length can be difficult in some spots in trees..I think a 170 would play much better for quick turns..

 

I've used the mantra on the east and It plays out well..it's honestly just it's bump performance that I'm looking to improve so I wanted something more flexible for quicker turns...

 

 

I'd classify the mantra of more of an all mountain but leaning towards big mountain ski..especially at the 184..
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post




 

your mantras are an all mountain ski...? cause well they are. 

 

 

anything in 80mm range will not ski trees, or crud as well as your Mantras, well at least not just due to waist width the mantra are stiff and kill them in trees.

 

 

 

 

post #4 of 6
Thread Starter 

The only factor that I need to consider is that my boots where not good at all last year , so that might be why i was having problems in the bumps with the 184, maybe with my new properly fitted boots this year I might feel different.. I need it to snow before I spend money on everything..

 

post #5 of 6

it tough but I have done it.

 

170 would be to short even in bumps. Look for mid to upper 170 but with twins and a softer tail. If you want narrow for whatever reason just find a solid 85 mm twin like the old PE/extremes.

 

174cm Extreme/PE

175cm Dynastar Trouble Maker or whatever they call it now http://www.levelninesports.com/Dynastar-2008-Trouble-Maker-Twin-Tip-Skis

179cm Icelandtic Pilgrim

 

you wont find a better bump skis(with out buying a dedicated bump skis) than a all mountain/park twin. 

 

 

.....but at the same time I am known mantra dislikers because I feel it has limited range of use IMO. 

 

 

post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 


thanks for that, in all honesty I think the line prophets 100 are better but I didn't get a chance to demo them before I got my mantra's, they're a lil softer than the mantra. I'll probable end up not buying another ski.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

it tough but I have done it.

 

170 would be to short even in bumps. Look for mid to upper 170 but with twins and a softer tail. If you want narrow for whatever reason just find a solid 85 mm twin like the old PE/extremes.

 

174cm Extreme/PE

175cm Dynastar Trouble Maker or whatever they call it now http://www.levelninesports.com/Dynastar-2008-Trouble-Maker-Twin-Tip-Skis

179cm Icelandtic Pilgrim

 

you wont find a better bump skis(with out buying a dedicated bump skis) than a all mountain/park twin. 

 

 

.....but at the same time I am known mantra dislikers because I feel it has limited range of use IMO. 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Need a new Ski to compliment my 184 Mantra's