EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Kastle FX 84 or Sultan 85
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kastle FX 84 or Sultan 85

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

I have been researching these skis and have found a good deal on slightly used 2010 demos and am trying to decide which one for a 1 ski quiver.  I am 6' 4" 200 lbs and am an advanced intermediate 40 yrs old.  I get to ski about 10 days and am tired of the hassle of renting.  Moslty ski at Taos, and Summit county but have booked a trip to tahoe this year.  I bought boots 2 years ago at the Boot Doctors in Taos and they did an outstanding job getting them "just right" .  What advice can you guys give me on the right skis.  Philpug I see you like Kastles what do you think? Am am lokking at the 184cm in both.

post #2 of 19

I am not Philpug but I did stay at a Holi.....uhhhhh.....welll you know. Given your weight, and what I'm taking as modest levels of skills and aggressiveness, the 184 is too long in either model. If both are available in a 178 then this is worth debating otherwise.....not. If you absolutely have to have one of these two in the 184 length, the Kastle is probably the easier ski.

 

SJ

post #3 of 19
Thread Starter 

Thanks Sierra Jim.  The Kastle is available only in a 184, Sultan 85 in 184 or 178.  I classified myself as an advanced intermediate, but for further clarification I have been skiing for over 20 yrs.,  on the 1-9 scale I am a solid 7, I think I ski pretty aggressively and am always trying to improve by watching videos and reading.  At Taos I will ski some of the hike to terrain, and will ski most black runs at other resorts, I just don't always look very good doing it.  I skied on  2007 182cm Salomon Foil 1080's last year on a trip to Keystone just for the heck of it and liked them, I skied the Mythic Rider in a 182 but found that it was a little difficult for me.  I have skied the Watea 84 and  was not overly impressed.  I hate to admit this, but I have skied several days on K2 Recon's in 180 ish and really liked them.

 

I could just keep demoing, but would like to own so that on the limited trips that I get, I can fly in early with all my gear and get an extra half day and not mess with stopping to pick up skis.  I have also demoed skis from time to time that in my opinion needed a tune and I didn't want to waste time taking them back that day and just lived with them.  Plus, if I own a pair I can put them in the corner of the living room and day dream about skiing more realistically.

 

Thanks for any advice that you guys can give.

post #4 of 19

Sultan 178.

 

SJ

post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 

Just my luck, called to order the Sultan 178 and the only 178's left are in rough shape with core shots.  Just when I thought I had it figured out.  I guess I will keep pondering a while longer before pulling the trigger on anything.  Thanks for the advice Sierra Jim, if you have any other suggestions I value your advice.

post #6 of 19

evogear.com has the 09/10 flat Sultan 85 in 178 for $399, plus they have a code for an extra $100 off.  Put PX12 bindings on them and you're ready.

post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 

That sounds like a great deal.  I am a little concerned about how to get bindings mounted since I live in South Texas with no ski shops around to mount bindings.  Any suggestions from anyone on best way to get bindings mounted before my first trip to the mountain.  I know better than to try it myself, plus I want them tested before skiing.  Is there a shop I could send them to with a boot? Or will this be asking too much and too expensive?  Or would it be best to call a shop and have the mounting lined up when I get there?

post #8 of 19

The Kastle FX84 does come in a 168,176 and 184. As much as I like these skis, if you are looking at a leftover, it is tough to compare based on dollar value. 

post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post

That sounds like a great deal.  I am a little concerned about how to get bindings mounted since I live in South Texas with no ski shops around to mount bindings.  Any suggestions from anyone on best way to get bindings mounted before my first trip to the mountain.  I know better than to try it myself, plus I want them tested before skiing.  Is there a shop I could send them to with a boot? Or will this be asking too much and too expensive?  Or would it be best to call a shop and have the mounting lined up when I get there?


You should take them to the mountain and have them mounter up there. I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to get that taken care of in an hour.

post #10 of 19
Thread Starter 

Philpug that is very true, I don't want to get caught up in a good deal and buy a ski that is not right for me.  I read the realskiers review of the two and happened to find a deal on used demos on each.  The Kastles are more than the Sultans obviously, but now I have spent way too much time online over analizing and wonder if either is the right ski.  If neither price nor model were a factor which would you recommend for me, or would it be a different ski entirely?

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post

evogear.com has the 09/10 flat Sultan 85 in 178 for $399, plus they have a code for an extra $100 off.  Put PX12 bindings on them and you're ready.


Unfortunately, the Sultan 85 is not included in this sale. Here's some of the fine print:

"Excludes 2010 Rossignol, Dynastar, Lange, Look & mashups"

post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post

Philpug that is very true, I don't want to get caught up in a good deal and buy a ski that is not right for me.  I read the realskiers review of the two and happened to find a deal on used demos on each.  The Kastles are more than the Sultans obviously, but now I have spent way too much time online over analizing and wonder if either is the right ski.  If neither price nor model were a factor which would you recommend for me, or would it be a different ski entirely?


I went back a reread the thread, i didn't realize that BOTH skis were demos. It is easy to get into this position of over analyzing. There are less bad skis out there than there are wrong skis. Neither of these skis are bad and not really wrong either. Yo really can't go wrong with either one so which do you "want"? While no ONE ski is going to meet ALL of your expectations any ski that meets 8 out of 10 will be a great ski to live with.  

post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 

I am still trying to decide and have a new twist.  In researching, I have found that the Sultan 80 is available in 178 in very good condition.  Sierra Jim you got me questioning my ability and I still think I am a solid 7 but see that some people who claim to be 7 and 8 level skiers find the Sultan 80 very good at this level.  I need all the forgiveness I can get but don't want to not have enough ski.  While I don't do it all the time I do like to ski fast when the runs are empty.  I read that they are good up to 25 mph. This scares me a little.  Like I said when I can ski fast I will, and have used the iphone app gps to see how fast I am going and will reach speeds in the low 40mph range but this is rare.  These skis can be bought for $350.  What do you think?

post #14 of 19

I think you had two better skis in mind to begin with.

 

SJ

post #15 of 19

Just a quick heads up - a great looking pair of 178 Sultan 85s (with Jesters) has just gone up on the For Sale board.  You might like to check them out.

 

Good luck.

post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraJim View Post

I think you had two better skis in mind to begin with.

 

SJ


yep. Get the 85 or the FX.

post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the heads up Sinbad7 I just looked at those and am afraid the bindings will need a remount, I have found a new pair online with the fluid binding system that can be adjusted for $636.  I am leaning towards the new since there are no ski shops nearby.  The demo Kastles are almost that much.  I am about to pull the trigger on the new 2010 Sultan 85.  Any disadvange to the Fluid bindings? 

post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post

Thanks for the heads up Sinbad7 I just looked at those and am afraid the bindings will need a remount, I have found a new pair online with the fluid binding system that can be adjusted for $636.  I am leaning towards the new since there are no ski shops nearby.  The demo Kastles are almost that much.  I am about to pull the trigger on the new 2010 Sultan 85.  Any disadvange to the Fluid bindings? 


Only disadvantage is it is damn heavy. 

post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the input just ordered the Sultan 85 in 178cm,  Now any advice on a deal on a bag that holds up well for airline travel, and might as well get some new poles too.  Having a new pair of skis this early and not being able to use them is going to make waiting for the first trip of the season that much harder.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Kastle FX 84 or Sultan 85