New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Newbie Questions

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Hey guys my name is Dakota Latusek, currently 19 and in College at Edinboro University of PA. So I prob. have not skiied in about 5 years or so and prob. forgot all the  basics, but I was an intermediate when I did ski. So going to get back into it this year and had many questions.

 

First there are so many different kind of ski's but I was looking for the best kind for just regular downhill skiing, no speed freaks, or tricks involved, and the company should be K2 or Vokl that's what I used to use.

 

Any tips or suggestions would be helpful as well since it has been so long I need all the info on the right ski's, boots, ect. I will need to get on the slopes this winter.

 

Thanks!

post #2 of 15

Start with boots and demo some skis to find what works best for you..  Welcome back to skiing,  Have a great season!

post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

Great thanks, but like what kind of ski's would be best for me? Like I said just a regular downhill skiier in for beginner and intermediate courses and I need to find the right set?

post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDakota12 View Post

Great thanks, but like what kind of ski's would be best for me? Like I said just a regular downhill skiier in for beginner and intermediate courses and I need to find the right set?



The kind they rent at the area.

 

I'm not trying to be an a$$ (I'm just drawn that way) but there are like 787,634 different types of skis that will do what you want them to do. I'd just go to a reputable shop, get sized and set up with a pair. If you like them, rent them again (or buy them). If you don't, have the shop set you up with another pair. Rinse, repeat. Basically, as long as you have a halfway decent shop that you're working with you literally can't go wrong. Plus, since you have some prior experience you are going to progress a heck of a lot quicker than you would if you were starting from scratch. Thus, renting also makes a good deal of sense early on because you can keep changing up skis as you progress.

 

Ditto what crg said on the boots thing. Forget the skis. As long as you're skiing on something the appropriate length and width the skis won't really matter. What WILL matter are the boots. If you're thinking of dropping down some coin - get boots and get them done right. Go to a GOOD boot shop in the area, get fitted, and buy them. Don't be a douche and do the whole "I am going to waste 3 hours of a bootfitters time to only walk out and buy them online". In the end, you'll pay one way or another. Karma is a b*tch. Again, buy the boots - rent the skis.

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 

Cool thanks, I have been doing a lot of research because I care about my experience. Like I said my last pair were Volkl's and I loved them, but for sure I will rent pairs and see what feels best for me before ever buying a set yet, and for sure on the boots, I can't tell you enough how irritating it is to have boots that don't fit right or well. It makes the whole Skiing experience blah.

 

Ya I hope I regain my ability quickly, but Like I said it's been 5-6 since the last time I did, but can't wait to get back out there regain my skills and become a better skiier.

post #6 of 15

Sweet. It is like riding a bike - it will come back to you really quick. I'm stoked for you man. Now, all we need is snow.  Heh!

post #7 of 15

I'll chime in agreement about the boots. Spend your money there first and get the best fit you possibly can. As for skis, check for demo days at the local resorts or if you go to Seven Springs, head up to Willi's ski shop on the second floor of the skier's services building (Ski School and Ticket Sales are downstairs) and  demo skis there. I think they'll allow you to try 3 different pairs for $45 or so. You can get good advice there as to which models to try. I wouldn't get a low end beginners ski but I'd go for something suited for the advancing intermediate to expert. With your prior experience you want a ski you can grow with. Good luck and keep checking here for get togethers if your looking to meet some folks to ski with.

post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel Hill Crazie View Post

I'll chime in agreement about the boots. Spend your money there first and get the best fit you possibly can. As for skis, check for demo days at the local resorts or if you go to Seven Springs, head up to Willi's ski shop on the second floor of the skier's services building (Ski School and Ticket Sales are downstairs) and  demo skis there. I think they'll allow you to try 3 different pairs for $45 or so. You can get good advice there as to which models to try. I wouldn't get a low end beginners ski but I'd go for something suited for the advancing intermediate to expert. With your prior experience you want a ski you can grow with. Good luck and keep checking here for get togethers if your looking to meet some folks to ski with.

Cool to meet someone else who is from Pittsburgh Area, that's where I live so when Im home Ill mostly be heading there, and Yes I see Willis seems to be the best place to go for advice, ski's boots and whatever else I need so they will be my first stop for all ,my questions, and eventually the purchases I make.


Also excited to try my local ski resort up here at Peak N Peak never been there and know nothing about it ahh this is so exciting!
 

post #9 of 15

i'm just trying to give you what you are asking for here.  No matter what I would not pay full retail for the skis since you don't REALLY know what you want.  You will probably get one of these and say, ya know, i wish the tips floated in soft stuff a little more, or, I wish this ski was a little softer/firmer and could hold an edge better, etc.  But if you are looking at K2 or Volkl, regular skis for going down a hill, I would look at the K2 Public Enemy or K2 Extreme (same ski, diff. graphics), or the Volkl Bridge.

post #10 of 15

Rossi B-3 of a season or two ago.  Dynastar 8000 of a season or two ago. moderate, user friendly skis. available for past models, new and used. measure to your chin if you're ave ht

post #11 of 15

Since Dav isn't following the rules of said brands, I'll go ahead and say, the two he suggested are widely popular, but I find it more rewarding to get skis from some of these newer, more underground ski companies like ON3P, Icelantic, Praxis, Armada (probably the biggest company of these listed here, but still a little more offbeat), and things like that.   I picked Icelantic cause they're made right here in CO and I like supporting local economies.

 

edit - forgot PM Gear


Edited by guroo270 - 10/5/10 at 11:41am
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 

Ya well since Im going to be up at Seven Springs up in PA mostly they have a great store called Willis Ski and Board shop. Im going to rent from them I think you can rent 3 different sets of Ski's at a time and really see what feels right for me and what I like. Also they are excellent with advice and info so Im hoping they lead me in the right direction!

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDakota12 View Post

Ya well since Im going to be up at Seven Springs up in PA mostly they have a great store called Willis Ski and Board shop. Im going to rent from them I think you can rent 3 different sets of Ski's at a time and really see what feels right for me and what I like. Also they are excellent with advice and info so Im hoping they lead me in the right direction!

 

I've been to the location on Perry Highway about 10 years ago? They are nice people, been around forever and seem fairly knowledgable. Should be a good place to start smile.gif

 

Willi's also has a website: thejibshop.com targeted towards Newschool skis.
 

post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 

Another quick embarassing question. Im a bigger guy around 5'10 and 255 Pounds so pretty big, but I am working out and eating healthier, so does that change the kind of ski's I should get. Like I said I remember nothing so its back to stage one with terms and types.

post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 

 

Do you guys think something like these would work for me, good for the big-mountain skiier and the piste rider like me?

http://k2skis.com/skis/all-mountain/force

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion