or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pedals.....

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 

I have a pair of Shim's I think 520's or something like that and they work just fine, since there are good sales going these days, are there any pedals out there that will offer an marked advantage or improvement over what I have? Riding XC. 

 

edited for the xc/cx typo.


Edited by Finndog - 10/5/10 at 9:59am
post #2 of 23

Depends on what you are riding. CX? cross country? The only difference between pedals is really Q value, float, and height from spindle to foot. These only matter if you are road racing, and with mtn biking. Not so important. Just enjoy what you have if it is working. Otherwise people love the time mtn pedals. Though I only have time on my roadbike, shimano on my mtn.

 

post #3 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

I have a pair of Shim's I think 520's or something like that and they work just fine, since there are good sales going these days, are there any pedals out there that will offer an marked advantage or improvement over what I have? Riding CX. 


you not riding CX(cyclocross) your riding XC(cross Country)

 

as for pedals

 

there are models that offer more float Crank Bros and Time. but the cranks bros are pieces of shit and break when they hit ANYTHING, they release your foot when the other side hits an object, and they also tend to hold people in while you try to release. The times are good pedals but still slightly less durable than shimano, and have the hit the other side on a rock your foot comes out feature.

 

Also Crank bros are lighter but who cares when they break all the time.

 

Basically if you want other pedals get some 540s save the few grams and keep the 520s as backups.

 

The money spend on new pedals is almost zero performance improvement, a much better and cheaper upgrade would be ghetto tubeless. That is what you should be thinking about. Its worth the hour of set up if you dont have a tubeless wheelset to do it.

post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 

Thanks Josh!  Sorry about the gaper xc thing!

 

Wheel set- that's on the agenda for next spring, I am going to get a new set. Reduce weight, better overall and have them set up correctly.

post #5 of 23

I like the 520s. They cost $30 on sale and I have had them for 4 years, never serviced them, have mashed them into stuff 100s of times and they still are working fine. Can't say that about most other clipless pedals. I know people who ride crank bros -- they take a spare pair of pedals with them on longer rides buecase they will just break and leave you stranded, they weigh half as much but you have to take twice as many -- not an advantage in my book. 

 

The difference form the 520s to the XTR version is like 50g not wroth it for the 5X to 10X price multiplier. The XT versions weigh just like 25g less and costs 2x as much. Agian, you won't notice it.

post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post

 I know people who ride crank bros -- they take a spare pair of pedals with them on longer rides buecase they will just break and leave you stranded,


OMG. I think I'd switch brands at that point.

 

I've been running Times since they first came out, so 15 years or so. I still have my first pair in fact (backups to the backups or something like that). I just switched to Crank Bros for my DH bike. They are ubiquitous in DH as they seem to be more tolerant of letting you in if you don't step in exactly the right spot. Of course the DH pedals have a big cage which helps to mitigate the "Auto-eject" feature found on the regular egg-beaters.

 

I've had great luck with Shimano too, and am toying with getting the new M980 XTR pedals for next year. I like the wider platform and lower stackheight on the new model

post #7 of 23
Thread Starter 

thanks Guys, the only thing that looked like a beneift was a wider platform like on the Looks but the 520's have been great, super easy to get in/out. no problems and they were very reasonable.

post #8 of 23

I'd be afraid of Look because they seem to be totally lost. They have a new design every few years it seems. Your 520 cleats will work in a M737 from 1988. Good luck trying to find cleats or parts for a Look that is even ten years old.

post #9 of 23

I use eggbeaters SL...I've never broken a one! I've worn the bearings out of a few. I know alot of people that have broken the 'wings' off.

 

The new ones are supposed to be better quality. The inner bearings are supposed to be improved. They have some cheaper 'Candy' type floating around for about $30.

 

I don't think any other pedal can surpass the eggbeater for mud, snow, ice clearance. That it why I like them. If it means anything, just look at what the pro's use....lots of eggbeaters out there.

 

Other pedals fill up with crud. When you try and force the cleat in it can slip and smack you in the shin. Gotta love that!

 

I have many friends that like shimano pedals. If you can find 520's for $30 and you like them. Buy em. They last a long time, with a steel cleat. I have bent them before, though. And they do wear out, probably not as fast as an Crank Brothers.

 

The word isn't out on the new Crank Brothyers yet. I would stay awy from the 'chrome' eggbeater. The old ones had problems with the 'nose cone' coming off.

post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnys Zoo View Post

I use eggbeaters SL...I've never broken a one! I've worn the bearings out of a few. I know alot of people that have broken the 'wings' off.

 

The new ones are supposed to be better quality. The inner bearings are supposed to be improved. They have some cheaper 'Candy' type floating around for about $30.

 

I don't think any other pedal can surpass the eggbeater for mud, snow, ice clearance. That it why I like them. If it means anything, just look at what the pro's use....lots of eggbeaters out there.

 

Other pedals fill up with crud. When you try and force the cleat in it can slip and smack you in the shin. Gotta love that!

 

I have many friends that like shimano pedals. If you can find 520's for $30 and you like them. Buy em. They last a long time, with a steel cleat. I have bent them before, though. And they do wear out, probably not as fast as an Crank Brothers.

 

The word isn't out on the new Crank Brothyers yet. I would stay awy from the 'chrome' eggbeater. The old ones had problems with the 'nose cone' coming off.



 In 15 years of owning a bicyle shop, the only pedals I have had to warranty have been from Crank Bros (and there have been many).  You can't go wrong with Shimano or Time. I prefer the consistency of Times, but the newer Shimano work well.

post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherPlayThanWork View Post


 In 15 years of owning a bicyle shop, the only pedals I have had to warranty have been from Crank Bros (and there have been many).


Did you never sell Onza? Or did you just throw those in the trash and not bother with warranty?

post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnys Zoo View Post

 

I don't think any other pedal can surpass the eggbeater for mud, snow, ice clearance. That it why I like them. If it means anything, just look at what the pro's use....lots of eggbeaters out there.


If a pro breaks a pedal or cracks a frame half way through a 30 mile race do they have to walk out 15 miles?

post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post




Did you never sell Onza? Or did you just throw those in the trash and not bother with warranty?



I don't remember anyone using those for long enough for them to actually break. Most people trashed them on their own.

post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherPlayThanWork View Post





 In 15 years of owning a bicyle shop, the only pedals I have had to warranty have been from Crank Bros (and there have been many).  You can't go wrong with Shimano or Time. I prefer the consistency of Times, but the newer Shimano work well.



I'm not denying that they break. warrenty issues would get old. I still like eggbeaters better than both Time or Shimano. Thats my preference. I've had multiple pairs of both Time and Shimano. As far as breakage these pedals hold up better than the Crank Brothers. As far as ease of use and mud clearance, I don't think you can beat an eggbeater. Heh. better than synthetic egg!

post #15 of 23
Thread Starter 

OK, great stuff!  So is there an advantage to a wider platform?  I just picked up a pair of time Atac xs, for 109 including shipping from Chainlove. I can always return them. But worth a look?

 


Edited by Finndog - 10/5/10 at 10:36am
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

OK, great stuff!  So is there an advantage to a wider platform?  I just picked up a pair of time Atac xs, for 109 including shipping from Chainlove. I can always return them. But worth a look?

 


I wider platform can be more comfortable with less 'hot spots" on your foot.

 

but like I said good stiff carbon soled shoes pretty much eliminate the need for a platform, as the carbon sole itself is a platform.

 

The Time Attacks are good pedals though. You managed to save a 100 grams of weight.

 

smart ass me says you could have saved about 400 grams of (rotating) weight by going to a tubeless system ghetto or not, not to mention the durability, traction, and rolling resistance gains. It would have been cheaper as well.


Edited by BushwackerinPA - 10/5/10 at 11:18am
post #17 of 23
Thread Starter 

Josh, thanks! like I said above.......  I am getting a new wheel-set next spring and agree with you! (although if anyone sees a killer set for a 26'' please let me know)

 

Not sure if i will keep the Time's. The deal was too good not to grab for the moment.

post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post


I wider platform can be more comfortable with less 'hot spots" on your foot.

 

but like I said good stiff carbon soled shoes pretty much eliminate the need for a platform, as the carbon sole itself is a platform.

 


Wider platform keeps your feet from rocking side to side though which is nice. When I've ridden on nameless kitchen aids, I've felt like I was going to fall off the sides of the pedals.

post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

I'd be afraid of Look because they seem to be totally lost. They have a new design every few years it seems. Your 520 cleats will work in a M737 from 1988. Good luck trying to find cleats or parts for a Look that is even ten years old.



LOL  I still have 4 sets of the old Moabs.    No problems yet, mostly because I have yet to wear through the cleats.

 

http://www.bikepro.com/products/pedals/s2s-s2r.html

post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post





LOL  I still have 4 sets of the old Moabs.    No problems yet, mostly because I have yet to wear through the cleats.

 

http://www.bikepro.com/products/pedals/s2s-s2r.html



Nice site Comprex. Anyone know where I can find a plastic top cap assembly for the compression dampener on an Maniblow Sx-Ti?

post #21 of 23

Maybe just get a parts fork off of ebay?

post #22 of 23

Yes, I thought about that. You can pick up one of those forks for about $30. I just have too much junk. I gave away a bunch of bike parts recently. I hate to buy a fork just for a cap. Probably have to 'give' away some skis soon also. Out with the old, in with the new...skis that is!

post #23 of 23

Seems like there are some Crank Brothers fans, here.  If anyone's looking for a featherlight pedal, I have a pair of 4Ti Crankbros Eggbeaters I'd be willing to sell that were recently waranteed and have never been back on my bike.  Both titanium cages were replaced and they look like new.  $250 takes them and I'll pay the shipping.  PM me if interested.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling