New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cohen Skis - Page 2

post #31 of 58

Cohen's don't have to be exclusive to Stratton. They are just there a lot because that's where the guy who imports them skis. There are people skiing on them at Belleayre and KIllington.



eek.gif. The guy who imports them is a Flattonite? Oy Vey. Not a ringing endorsement, but quite understandable.

 

 

post #32 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post

eek.gif. The guy who imports them is a Flattonite? Oy Vey. Not a ringing endorsement, but quite understandable.

 

Explains the fact that they've made only two pairs of powder skis too.

post #33 of 58

I skied on a pair of 155 cm slalom Cohens for a few days last year while I was at a race camp that Jim Cardenali runs at Stratton. I must say, they are wonderful. The smoothest ski I've ever been on, it allowed for quick sharp turns and lots of speed, but felt forgiving at the same time. The Fischer Race RC4s I have now just don't compare. A friend of mine has the powder skis and she loves them, too.

post #34 of 58

Hus du gezehen in deine leiben! ( For the english speaking folks who may not understand what Indian Chief just said: Have you ever seen anything like this in your life?)
 

Snowtownracer (OP) = Jacob Combe = stacy13 = Go buy Cohen skis dude

 

The saga continues...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy13 View Post

I skied on a pair of 155 cm slalom Cohens for a few days last year while I was at a race camp that Jim Cardenali runs at Stratton. I must say, they are wonderful. The smoothest ski I've ever been on, it allowed for quick sharp turns and lots of speed, but felt forgiving at the same time. The Fischer Race RC4s I have now just don't compare. A friend of mine has the powder skis and she loves them, too.

post #35 of 58

I have been having a short series of discussions with Jim Cardinali (we live in the same town and both our daughters do the nordic race program here) about the Cohen race skis he has been bringing in from Italy and hope to have some detailed reviews after hopefully skiing on them next week.  Stay tuned for more details.  They are apparently designed and built by a long-time Rossignol race-room guru (not Alain Zanco...but someone else), assembled in Luciano Panatti's Blossom facility in Italy using some very special materials.  I don't have the details, but will hopefully have some facts about the skis, their history and people involved.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle.

post #36 of 58

Mazal Tov! Someone is finally posting real information.

post #37 of 58

Women beware--you're required to wear a schmatteh under your helmet while on these skis.

 

Still, y'asher koach to the Cohanim.  Oy, I'm kvelling; I thought the goyim had the ski industry all wrapped up!

 

[And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming}

post #38 of 58

Here's the prototype:

 

cohenskis.jpg

post #39 of 58

 

Is the joke that Zai has yet to Live long and prosper?

 

*not getting it* ???

post #40 of 58

That is the hand sign made by a Jewish priest, or Cohen, making the priestly blessing. It was brought into Star Trek by Leonard Nimoy, himself of priestly descent.

post #41 of 58

I finally got to test the small-batch, Italian-made Co.H.En (Competition High Energy) skis (SL and GS) at Les Deux Alpes July 13. I'll have a full review of these and hopefully more models (Freeride and perhaps powder) before December 25 when we have real snow and a variety of testers.  Until then, the short report about these skis is they are excellent race skis for people looking for precision, balance and quiet behavior.  Not a muscle-car ski requiring heavy-handed input, nor explosive in its reactions, but stealthy and extremely effective in navigation and acceleration through a course.  I watched several young trainees of various abilities training SL and GS on the Cohens after previously racing on Fischers and Elans, and they preferred the Cohen skis.  Anyway...more details with full specs, reviews and photos by mid-December.  Just thought people should know the skis are indeed the real deal and not just vapor hardware.

post #42 of 58

Do we assume the high-end version will be the Rebbe?

 

Will you be able to buy them from roving motorhomes with lots of big speakers on the roof or will they be at B&M stores?

 

Free set of pais with every purchase? How will you know if you're chosen?

 

Will they compete with the new "Infidel" brand?

 

 

post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowtownracer View Post

Anyone heard about Cohen race skis?  Hear they run a Vist plate...



I was at Jim's Race Camp two years ago.  I didn't ski them but did talk to Jim about them.  If I remember correctly, he said they are softer length wise but torsionally stiffer.  I do know that most everyone that demo'd them liked them.  I wasn't paying attention to how many people bought them.

 

He usually runs his race camp at Stratton the second week of December and usually has several demo pairs.  You might be able to work it out that you can demo them at that time even if you aren't participating in the race camp th_dunno-1[1].gif.  Just go to his site and get the # to call him and make arrangements ahead of time.  If you have the opportunity to participate in the race camp, it's well worth it.

 

Jim's a great guy and he always has great coaches there too.  It was a blast (even though I was in over my head).  Learned a lot!

 

Ken

 

post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticSkis View Post

I finally got to test the small-batch, Italian-made Co.H.En (Competition High Energy) skis (SL and GS) at Les Deux Alpes July 13. I'll have a full review of these and hopefully more models (Freeride and perhaps powder) before December 25 when we have real snow and a variety of testers.  Until then, the short report about these skis is they are excellent race skis for people looking for precision, balance and quiet behavior.  Not a muscle-car ski requiring heavy-handed input, nor explosive in its reactions, but stealthy and extremely effective in navigation and acceleration through a course.  I watched several young trainees of various abilities training SL and GS on the Cohens after previously racing on Fischers and Elans, and they preferred the Cohen skis.  Anyway...more details with full specs, reviews and photos by mid-December.  Just thought people should know the skis are indeed the real deal and not just vapor hardware.


These sound like the non-FIS Stockli? 

 

Nothing beats a race ski for those empty hill, fast snow groomer mornings.  I imagine there will be lots of great deals on GS boards from all religions regions with the FIS rules changing.

 

post #45 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post




These sound like the non-FIS Stockli? 

 

Nothing beats a race ski for those empty hill, fast snow groomer mornings.  I imagine there will be lots of great deals on GS boards from all religions regions with the FIS rules changing.

 




"Religions" is correct.........!

post #46 of 58

The new Co.H.En website is now up and running, with brief descriptions of their GS, SL, softer "DJ", freeride and powder models.

Not much info..but it's something.  I should have reviews by mid December on these skis, along with estimated pricing.

 

http://www.cohenski.com/

 

logone.png

 

Quick photos from Les Deux Alpes : July 2011:

CohenSL1.JPG

 

CohenSL2.JPG

post #47 of 58

Chanukah starts on December 20th, so get on it.

post #48 of 58

With sharp enough edges, you can use them for shechita.  (Although depending on the size, PM Gear SuperBros may be a better bet.)

 

I'd recommend them for mohel usage, but with Marker bindings, I'd be concerned about prerelease.

post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDad View Post
...

I'd recommend them for mohel usage, but with Marker bindings, I'd be concerned about prerelease.



You can see that they got this covered - taking very kosher sounding Salomons and branding them "Cohen"... With such a brand name combination they should advertise their product on  www.thejudaicastore.com and make sure they have this:

 

Capture.JPG

post #50 of 58

Using Salomons would be wise, but unless I'm mistaken, those are the rebranded Markers a la Nordica.  Except that the heels say "Vist."  So maybe I misunderestimated the Nordicas?  (Nordicae?)

post #51 of 58

Is that a Torah scroll in the H of the logo?

post #52 of 58

Looks like more Blossom skis, not that that is a bad thing. In the Alpine King line, the Free is the Crossover Two from Vist and the Pulse from Hart, the Powder is the Bro Model from PM Gear. As far as the race skis, they are also used by Vist, Hart and Spoilt. Not sure of the constructions are the same as they used for these other manufacturers, but I I would bet dollars to donuts they are. Blossom has gotten more mileage out of these molds than almost any manufacturer, LOL. 

post #53 of 58

Hmmm.  The 175cm-only (at least based on the website) Free Powder does indeed have very close dimensions to the no-longer-made 174cm PM Gear Bro Model (125-99-115 at 175cm, vs 125-99-114 at 174cm).  But it looks like it doesn't have the rounded tail of the Bro.

 

Why anyone would bring out a "powder" ski in only a 175cm length is beyond me, though.

post #54 of 58

I have the sl 165 skis they are the best skis i have ever used i have also used the 175 gs skis they are amazing! If you can get a pair of the skis buy them they are worth the money

post #55 of 58

cohen's are the best skis ever

post #56 of 58

Dear ertsy,

 

Congratulations on your two posts. You have made a major contribution to the forum.rolleyes.gif

 

Just be careful, there's people here who believe the AC30 is the bestest ski EVAH (really!), so you may have to qualify your opinion using other ski brands and models, types of terrain, ski modes etc.

post #57 of 58

This thread seems to attract quite a few devotees never post again. 

post #58 of 58

He seems to want a little much for them, but Cohen has spread a bit:

 

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/spo/4765656382.html

 

Quote:

I have retired from ski racing and have several pair of beautifully maintained racing skis. They are boutique hand made skis that I am selling many times below they cost. 182 Maxel GS ski. This is a specialized ski that is only for a strong skier interested in racing. 180 cm Cohen. This is a boutique ski, handmade in Italy, and very forgiving. Good for racing or free skiing. 155cm. Atomic sl. This is a rack ski that is devoted to ice and tough conditions. All of these are in top condition with lots of edge and no cosmetic blemishes. Very good deals for the racer/high performance skier.

  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
 

 

 

FWIW, unless there are two full sets in approximately similar sizes locally, I think I have seen the skis in question and they look more like junior SG skis than adult GS skis, with a very light Vist binding setup.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion