New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can't delete posts

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

Sometimes when I want to edit one of my posts, I click on "quote" instead of "edit". I don't know why I do that.

 

Often I submit a post that I later decide is not helpful, interesting or funny.

 

In these cases, I would like to remove the post rather than edit it.

 

Thanks for your consideration in this matter.

post #2 of 22

You are not the only one to complain.  Moderators have delete on the menu. I think the concern was for loss of content, but I think this is worth more discussion.  Even when a post is deleted, it still actually exists, so unless the post is edited to remove the content first, deleting should be reversible if in our infinite wisdom it seems appropriate to do so.  I can't think of any instance where we have actually done that.  The only concern I can think of is if someone replies to a post that is subsequently deleted, that reply can look pretty stupid.  As an ethical matter, posts should not be edited or deleted once a reply is made to that post.  If we can live with that, I don't see a problem.  On the other hand, there are definitely some posts that should be retracted.  I'm sure you can identify with that (and I have had a few myself)

 

In the early days of the Huddler platform change, moderators could not reverse a delete and could not see deleted content.  I think that is the reason behind the change.  You probably recall that initially you did have a delete function.  Your idea has my support.  I'll talk with the rest of the team.

post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 

I recall being able to delete a post within a short time period after it was submitted (pre Huddler). I post on bikeforums.net where I can edit or delete posts I made years ago. It seems to work ok there. Thanks

post #4 of 22

Rod if it aint useful ,funny or worth reading again just don't click on it again.... the rest of us might get a good snicker outta what you put up ( we wount laugh out loud, trust me)

See u soon

post #5 of 22

I've written many post that never were submitted especially since we can no longer delete posts. Still there are time I wish I could take back a hastily submitted post. I'm in favor of being able to delete a post within a short period of time after submitting. If the Mods think that a post should stay once a direct reply has been made that will be fine. At least we would have the opportunity for self censorship.

post #6 of 22

Rob, the concern is twofold.  First, sometimes deleting causes the loss of continuity and perhaps valuable content.  If a member gets upset and just starts deleting all their posts ala Highway Star, it is disruptive at best.  As we found out with the kneebinding episode, members can still delete the content of posts.  So, deleting the post itself is almost inconsequential.  Second is that when the post becomes the subject of a debate, but is edited or deleted, it makes the person arguing a point to himself look kind of foolish.  The concern primarily deals with the instructor forums.

post #7 of 22

I see your point but would a 15 minute window really lead to problems, maybe even a 5 minute window? Still, I guess debate can be fast and furious so any ability to delete could cause problems. Really I have no real problem here because I never posted anything stupid.

post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post

Rob, the concern is twofold.  First, sometimes deleting causes the loss of continuity and perhaps valuable content.  If a member gets upset and just starts deleting all their posts ala Highway Star, it is disruptive at best.  As we found out with the kneebinding episode, members can still delete the content of posts.  So, deleting the post itself is almost inconsequential.  Second is that when the post becomes the subject of a debate, but is edited or deleted, it makes the person arguing a point to himself look kind of foolish.  The concern primarily deals with the instructor forums.

Unlimited ability to edit or delete posts works fine at Bikeforum.net and they are a lot bigger than this site and a lot more kooks probably post junk there and delete it etc.

 

The moderation here has become much more laissez faire of late, which I think is great and it's working. Congrats!

 

I agree that it is possible to edit a post and just leave "delete" or "oops double post" (one of my favorites, you may have noticed it doesn't always follow another  one of my posts. haha ) or "..." that I see in the recently revived 'worst thread ever'

 

Because we can edit a post days, weeks, years after posting, leaving only "..." or "nevermind", why not allow the writer to remove it altogether? Think about it. I know a lot of stuff gets posted that you must remove, spam, personal attacks, profanity, etc. including some of my posts, but allowing a writer to remove his own posts is a different issue. 

 

I probably shouldn't have mentioned it. It's much better now than the pre-Huddler no edit after fifteen minutes policy. That sucked.

post #9 of 22

I, too like the ability to go back and clean up spelling and grammar errors and typos weeks after the fact.  We all sometimes post in a haste and don't make it back to the thread within an hour or whatever still wanting to make things just right.  However, not being able to remove a double post via system error, brain fart, an not being able to remove a post where you realize after the fact that you have sniped an idea or thought that someone else posted previously kinda irks me.

post #10 of 22

I'm one of the biggest offenders, and frequently edit a post after hitting the submit button.  Not everyone sees it that way, but we are continuing to resist going back to very limited edit time.
Thanks for the moderation comments Rodney.  The community works well this way, and everyone pretty much steps up to being responsible for what they post.  We haven't lost an inviting atmosphere, and don't have to do a  lot of policing to keep it.

post #11 of 22

I think we ought to limit edit times, but allow the deletion of posts until there has been a reply or a certain amount of time has elapsed.  I personally don't understand why months later anyone should be allowed to go back and totally change a post. 

post #12 of 22

I agree that there should be a limited time for editing.  This is a conversation format, you can't "unsay" something in real life after you've said it, why should you be able to here?  It can destroy the flow of a conversation, and make someone's reply to what was said seem really stupid if what they're replying to was changed or deleted.

 

post #13 of 22

You both hit the nail on the head, and this is a topic we have debated for a year now.  The thing is, very few (if any) members actually edit to manipulate the conversation or their history.  As a result, it has remained a low priority.  On vBulletin we changed the edit times, but always had some limit.

post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 

Sorry I brought it up.

 

I just thought the threads would read better without the occasional posts reading "delete". It's a small point and not something that really concerns me. I shouldn't have started a thread about it. I think I'll go back and delete all my posts in this thread. smile.gif

 

sibhusky and Mango jazz, thanks for taking the opportunity to campaign for a more restrictive edit policy. 

 

Cirque, thanks for resisting implementing a short edit time. I don't think anyone is going to go back and make their post worse. While allowing the writer to reword his thoughts or remove them could cause some problems, I think it results in improved posts in most cases.

 

Knowing I can change it later doesn't encourage me to post dumb stuff. I'll post dumb stuff nine times out of ten, regardless. I don't think I should be forced to wear my ill chosen words like a scarlet letter but I understand the reason others feel that way and I know they have the best interests of the community in mind.

post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz View Post

I agree that there should be a limited time for editing.  This is a conversation format, you can't "unsay" something in real life after you've said it, why should you be able to here?  It can destroy the flow of a conversation, and make someone's reply to what was said seem really stupid if what they're replying to was changed or deleted.

 

How best to make people look stupid?

 


It's actually a lot more common to quote then edit other people's posts to change what they said and make them look silly.  The main times I've seen someone edit their own post  is to correct spelling and grammar or add a photo or video.  Usually when someone changes the message content significally they make a note to let others know with "EDIT".  Also the tool adds an edit stamp so the community knows the content of the post has been altered.

post #16 of 22

I agree entirely with T-rod on this.

post #17 of 22

VA, any time limit?

post #18 of 22


Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post

VA, any time limit?

No, thank you. I'm all about timelessness.

 

I feel there is no need for such limitations. I've heard all the arguments for restricting an author's ability to delete their work, but I don't feel those circumstances are so prevalent as to necessitate the controls placed across the board.

 

post #19 of 22

Prior to a trip I posted_ Recommended Shops across Northern West, US & Canada.

It has last I looked received over 90 looks, to which only one was a recommending comment.  Within the first few days I realized I needed to have given the Title more thought, and ensured it stood as a question, rather than appear as a statement of my 'recommendations'.

 

-such as- "I am in search of  Highly Recommended Shops across Northwestern US & Canadian Rockies" , _which seems a tad longish, but does better state my want.  Possibly if I'd have just thought to put a single or double ?? at the end of the words, it would have stopped people from wasting their time;  as apparently people were looking for viable shops, not to state they knew of any.

 

Therefore my notion that I should delete it; until I realized that 'I' am not allowed that function, and having read this thread see reasons why most post might better stand as is;  though in this case none of the previously mentioned seem to apply.  My post simply wastes others time.

 

Having written that, I now muse that if edit is still allowed at this date in time, ' and I changed to the longer title or at least add the ??, which doesn't seem as adequate, that might at least lesson peoples lost effort. 


 

post #20 of 22

I think in this case you can contact a moderator and ask them to change it.  I might be wrong, tho.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post

Prior to a trip I posted_ Recommended Shops across Northern West, US & Canada.

It has last I looked received over 90 looks, to which only one was a recommending comment.  Within the first few days I realized I needed to have given the Title more thought, and ensured it stood as a question, rather than appear as a statement of my 'recommendations'.

 

-such as- "I am in search of  Highly Recommended Shops across Northwestern US & Canadian Rockies" , _which seems a tad longish, but does better state my want.  Possibly if I'd have just thought to put a single or double ?? at the end of the words, it would have stopped people from wasting their time;  as apparently people were looking for viable shops, not to state they knew of any.

 

Therefore my notion that I should delete it; until I realized that 'I' am not allowed that function, and having read this thread see reasons why most post might better stand as is;  though in this case none of the previously mentioned seem to apply.  My post simply wastes others time.

 

Having written that, I now muse that if edit is still allowed at this date in time, ' and I changed to the longer title or at least add the ??, which doesn't seem as adequate, that might at least lesson peoples lost effort. 


 

post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post

Prior to a trip I posted_ Recommended Shops across Northern West, US & Canada.

It has last I looked received over 90 looks, to which only one was a recommending comment.  Within the first few days I realized I needed to have given the Title more thought, and ensured it stood as a question, rather than appear as a statement of my 'recommendations'.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

I think in this case you can contact a moderator and ask them to change it.  I might be wrong, tho.
 


 

Moderators have fixed several fudged thread titles for me in the past.  Just flag your own post in the thread and ask them to fix it for you in the comments box.  I'll be surprised of they don't help you out, but they will certainly contact you and let you know if there is a problem doing so.

post #22 of 22

Moderators can change titles.  Don't hesitate to ask us.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home