Butterfly / Farfalle / bowtie turns / the pole drill / all feature the same leg steering movements as Barnes' two bar stool drill (you will find it in the Encyclopedia). A further application I use (borrowed from Schancey) is to balance on a pole / rail wearing skis. Then try pivotting your feet / boots / skis without allowing the tips to raise or drop. It's enightening to many how much they lever fore and aft as they turn their feet. A safety note I think is worth mentioning, make sure to start out on a rail close to the ground just in case you lose your balance. Straddling a three foot tall rail isn't much fun.
Recent Images In This Thread
- topicStance Alignmenttagged by System, 10/5/10
Related Forum Threads
- Excessive quad burn -- form, equipment or both? Last post on 5/31/13 at 7:05pm in Ski Instruction & Coaching
- I just spent two days at Stowe with Matt Boyd, PSIA National team member - here is the key... Last post on 4/7/13 at 1:13pm in Ski Instruction & Coaching
- 2 Arches in your foot Last post on 7/3/12 at 6:19am in General Skiing Discussion
Effects Of Rotary Movements On The A Frame
Last edited: 4/20/11
- Boot Fitters Alignment Is Key Says Dr DLast edited: 4/23/11
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
- Boot Fitters Alignment Is Key Says Dr D
Bringing the outside ski forward - Page 3
............. to balance on a pole / rail wearing skis. Then try pivotting your feet / boots / skis without allowing the tips to raise or drop. It's enightening to many how much they lever fore and aft as they turn their feet. A safety note I think is worth mentioning, make sure to start out on a rail close to the ground just in case you lose your balance. Straddling a three foot tall rail isn't much fun.
OK, this one sounds really fun! I've got to try it some time. When you say pivot I assume you mean no angle like when turning. I wonder what happens when we do this as if we were making a hard turn. Of course if your not moving, and actually carving a turn, the angulation could not be too much. Hey, maybe I just need to ride a rail in one of the parks! NOT!
Pivoting in this context simply means moving the tips left, then right while balancing on the rail. The dual pivot points occuring underfoot are what we are focussing on but adding the additional balancing requirement is usually an eye opener. Especially if you are one of those skiers who try to add extraneous movements like levering, angulation, or foot steering / shuffling just because you can. I'm alway surprised how hard it is for some people to turn their legs while balancing on a rail. It's a KISS move, so try to avoid overthinking it. Just stand on the rail and turn your legs.
BTW, low boxes and rails are usually found in the terrain park, so don't be afraid to be seen there. It's the perfect place for this one minute drill. You might also find some fun things to do there, or you might just run into your kids and get to watch them show you a trick or two. Enjoy!
- Bringing the outside ski forward
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 19 minutes ago
- › Colorado Winter Driving...is AWD enough? 35 minutes ago
- › Painful, funny story 56 minutes ago
- › CO Man ordered to pay $260,000 in damages from skiing accident 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › GogglePal - anyone test this universal HUD yet? 1 hour, 21 minutes ago
- › What's your ski trip rig? Lets see some pictures! 1 hour, 25 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 1 hour, 33 minutes ago
- › First Time Buying Skis and Boots - Do It All Together? 2 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 2 hours, 54 minutes ago
- › Do I need a snow tire? 3 hours ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer