New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Years in the North-East

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

I realize there's another thread about resorts in the north east, but my group and I have slightly different plans, so I thought I would start a new thread.

 

 

A group of 10 of us wants to go skiing within a reasonable (+-8hrs) driving distance of Toronto, Canada. I've never been skiing in the States and so I'm trying to figure out which resort in the north east would be best to hit. Advice? (I've been looking into Stratton, thoughts?)

 

We will have skiers of all levels in our group...

 

Thanks!

post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiPole View Post

I realize there's another thread about resorts in the north east, but my group and I have slightly different plans, so I thought I would start a new thread.

 

 

A group of 10 of us wants to go skiing within a reasonable (+-8hrs) driving distance of Toronto, Canada. I've never been skiing in the States and so I'm trying to figure out which resort in the north east would be best to hit. Advice? (I've been looking into Stratton, thoughts?)

 

We will have skiers of all levels in our group...

 

Thanks!



Stowe or Sugarloaf....Take your pick.

post #3 of 17

Xmas/New Years holidays in the Northeast can be iffy.  Today you can book at the last minute and that's what I'd do.  If there's good natural snow, then Jay, Stowe or Sugarbush would be on my short list.  If natural snow is thin, then a big snowmaking system is vital.  Add Killington and Okemo to the list.  I'd avoid Stratton as it gets crowded on holidays due to its closer location to the major cities like New York. 

post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 

Thanks, guys. I don't know if we can do the last minute thing, because we want to go up there for the week between Christmas and New Year, and it seems places are booking up (we're looking for a house/chalet/condo).

 

So, if you had to take a gamble re: natural snow, and lock in for that week, what would your choice be? Oh, and what about Lake Placid?


Edited by SkiPole - 9/20/10 at 8:44am
post #5 of 17

Well if you are really looking for with in 8 hours, Killington is almost 9 hours by mapquest, Jay Peak is a very tough 8 hour drive in winter conditions, but if you are driving that you will pass Mt. Orford and Owl's Head on the way to Jay Peak, maybe look at those also if you haven't ruled out Canada all together. I have spent 10 to 12 hours getting to Jay Peak in storms driving from Guelph, ON. For a quaint, fun, awesome little ski resort, look into Bristol Mountain only 3 hours away with 1200 vertical and I love their runs.  The prices are great, but if you want a big mountain experience then Bristol isn't what you want.  You don't mention but are you  looking for fantastic apres ski parties or to ski New Years eve and maybe join a torch light run.  This could really influence the resort you want to head to.  Jay Peak has a reputation for opening early..I've skied there as early as October 12 (though I must say the  one ice chute open maybe wasn't worth the drive to most, I just wanted to get some turns in early).

post #6 of 17

I've skied New Years weekend for about 12 of the last 16 years at various NY and VT mountains and will echo the crap shoot nature of weather and conditions at that time or year. Depending on which kids are home at the time, it's never more than 4 of us, so we can wait until early/mid December to make our decision.

 

Though not my favorite place to ski, particularly on holidays (I sure wouldn't drive 8 or 9 hours), if I had to take a chance and book now, Killington would be my choice, simply because of their snow making abilities.

 

If you're willing to gamble on natural snow, Jay Peak or Stowe would be my choices. Stowe will be the more expensive of the two, but there are a lot more restaurants and things to do nearby if that matters.

post #7 of 17

What's your budget? Do you want to stay slopeside, or is being a few miles away from slopes ok? Are you looking for après ski action, or not?

Random thoughts:

Big and good for all levels, particularly expert skiers: Stowe, Sugarloaf, Sugarbush, Killington

Not quite as big, but good for all levels, particularly experts: Smuggler's Notch, Jay Peak, Whiteface

Big and good for beg-int-adv skiers: Okemo, Stratton, Mt. Snow

Sugarloaf and Smuggler's Notch have a fair amount of moderately priced slopeside accommodations. Some of the best scenery is at Wildcat and Cannon Mtn ski areas in NH, those two might also be a little less crowded than the others during the Holidays, but don't have slopeside lodging.

post #8 of 17
Thread Starter 

We don't mind staying within driving distance of the slope...apres ski is not a necessity b/c we're pretty good at creating our own after ski fun.

post #9 of 17

I would dare to venture and add that I would put Sugarloaf's snowmaking abilities up against any other resort in the northeast.

 

I think few realize how much $$$$$$$ Sugarloaf has invested in snowmwaking equipment over the past 4 or 5 years. We're talking millions of dollars and they have now expanded the system up and into the snowfields.

 

A year or 2 ago I was riding the Superquad and up and off to the left, on Gondi Line, they had about 25 guns blasting the snow onto that trail. I was awed by the blizzrd they were produceing. It was the most powerful snowmaking effort I have ever seen.

 

I found it ironic that there are soo many threads about New England and other than me, Sugarloaf is nearly never mentioned. The thing is, soo many New England skiers have never skied Sugarloaf. I have skied New England for the past 25 years and I can tell you....Sugarloaf blows away every other New England resort that there is. Of course this is my opinion and there is great skiing all over New England but, Sugarloaf is king, hands down. And now that they have added Burnt Mountain to the trail map, every other other NE resort is tiny.

 

I will go out on a limb and say this.....by Christmas I promise there will be at least 30 trails open. And, that most likely will include a trail or 2 out of the snowfields. Guaranteed.

 

So everyone, go ahead pick your resort in the NE for New Years, Your only safe bet is Sugarloaf. But, there again.....I am the only one to say so.

 

Happy Holidays.!!  

post #10 of 17



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugaree View Post

I would dare to venture and add that I would put Sugarloaf's snowmaking abilities up against any other resort in the northeast.

 

I think few realize how much $$$$$$$ Sugarloaf has invested in snowmwaking equipment over the past 4 or 5 years. We're talking millions of dollars and they have now expanded the system up and into the snowfields.

 

A year or 2 ago I was riding the Superquad and up and off to the left, on Gondi Line, they had about 25 guns blasting the snow onto that trail. I was awed by the blizzrd they were produceing. It was the most powerful snowmaking effort I have ever seen.

 

I found it ironic that there are soo many threads about New England and other than me, Sugarloaf is nearly never mentioned. The thing is, soo many New England skiers have never skied Sugarloaf. I have skied New England for the past 25 years and I can tell you....Sugarloaf blows away every other New England resort that there is. Of course this is my opinion and there is great skiing all over New England but, Sugarloaf is king, hands down. And now that they have added Burnt Mountain to the trail map, every other other NE resort is tiny.

 

I will go out on a limb and say this.....by Christmas I promise there will be at least 30 trails open. And, that most likely will include a trail or 2 out of the snowfields. Guaranteed.

 

So everyone, go ahead pick your resort in the NE for New Years, Your only safe bet is Sugarloaf. But, there again.....I am the only one to say so.

 

Happy Holidays.!!  


Would you say Sugarloaf is likely to be the least crowded during the Xmas holidays of the other top contenders in this thread?  It might add another hour in the car from Toronto though.
 

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesj View Post



 


Would you say Sugarloaf is likely to be the least crowded during the Xmas holidays of the other top contenders in this thread?  It might add another hour in the car from Toronto though.
 


I would hope Sugarloaf is not the LEAST crowded resort among the contenders. That would be no fun.

 

That being said, this needs to be said....The crowd at Sugarloaf is never enough to spoil anyone's day there. Yes, the Superquad can be a drag but, head to a different lift. Or, bettter yet, once on the mountain, avoid the Superquad until 1:30pm., or after 1pm. It's not hard to do.

 

So, to repeat...Crowds at Sugarloaf do not spoil your day there. Christmas or any other holiday period.

 

Let me take this a step further to help....When the lifts are busy (superquad, spillway east, whiffletree) consider taking these other lifts.....Double Runner, Spillway West, King Pine, Bucksaw, Timberline and a whole host of other lifts. And, you don't need to be a local hero to figure this out.

 

Sugarloaf is not a difficult mountain to navigate. One top, One base.

 

Add this....I do not own Sugarloaf nor do I work there. I live an hour away and I am not a season pass holder. I love the mountain for what it is...a skiers mountain. A skiers mountain for all abilities. I am simply trying to steer some folks here at EpicSki in the right direction for a great ski experience. And that great ski experience is getting better every year since Boyne and CNL have taken over.

 

Happy Trails.!!
 

post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 

Lodging was a big factor for us. We've been trying to find something affordable (affordable is not in abundance in VT!) We've found a place that's within driving distance to the following mountains:

 

Stratton

Bromley

Magic

Okemo

Killington

Snow

 

I think we'll be going there...it's our first time in VT, so it will be nice to sample a few hills as opposed to spending the week on one. Any further advice about the above is greatly appreciated!

 

Thank you again to everyone who posted. You have a very supportive community here!

post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiPole View Post

Lodging was a big factor for us. We've been trying to find something affordable (affordable is not in abundance in VT!) We've found a place that's within driving distance to the following mountains:

 

Stratton

Bromley

Magic

Okemo

Killington

Snow

 

I think we'll be going there...it's our first time in VT, so it will be nice to sample a few hills as opposed to spending the week on one. Any further advice about the above is greatly appreciated!

 

Thank you again to everyone who posted. You have a very supportive community here!



Hey, there you go. A good choice in that it has variety.

 

If that area is light on snow, for that time of year, you can go to the mountains that have the bigger and better snowmakeing systems.

 

Enjoy your time there.!!

 

post #14 of 17

Rutland, VT. or there abouts is the most centrally located & affordable area. 15-20 minutes to Killington or Pico, 1/2 hour to Okemo & about 1 hr. to either Bromley, Stratton or Magic to the south or Mad River &Sugarbush to the north. Plenty of places to eat & things to do in town also.

post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post

Rutland, VT. or there abouts is the most centrally located & affordable area. 15-20 minutes to Killington or Pico, 1/2 hour to Okemo & about 1 hr. to either Bromley, Stratton or Magic to the south or Mad River &Sugarbush to the north. Plenty of places to eat & things to do in town also.



Good info in this post.

 

I always thought Vermont ski areas were spread out and hard to get to. Rutland looks to be the nerve center.

 

Thanks.

post #16 of 17

I would suggest the Mad River Valley - Sugarbush and if there is any snow Mad River glen.  The Mad River Valley is so much nicer than anything in southern Vt.

 

If you need to go some place else, Stowe is not far.  Killington, Stratton and Mt. Snow could be crazy.  Who needs that?

 

bz

post #17 of 17

If you are trying out different areas in southern VT, look for a place to stay along route 100 between Stratton (Londonderry) & Okemo (Ludlow) to split the daily drive. 

That said. Been skiing SVT for the last 32 yr. Always skied SVT for the Xmas holidays (Kids, nephews & nieces). Crazy crowded - especially Stratton. I'm from NYC - I know Crowded.  

Northern VT should be much better in terms of holiday crowds. 

 

4 years ago, SVT had a really bad early season snow cover - Killington had only 40 trails open for the holidays.

Didn't stay to witness the massacre. Went to SLC instead, had a blast and never spent another holiday in SVT. 

Still ski a lot of SVT on non-holiday weeks.

 

Keep in mind there are some really good multi-area ski pass deals out west.

A 2nd week at the same areas during a later part of the season will put you over the break even point. 

Some of the flying greyhounds are having pretty good deals out west just about now.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel