EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Helmet recommendation ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Helmet recommendation ?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

Was out for a bike ride today and crashed. Took a lot of skin off my hip, shoulder, elbow and calf.  Head hit the cement and it took a big chunk out of my helmet! (never ride without one.)  Thinking about getting a ski helmet now.  Been skiing a long time but have never worn one.  Any recommendations ?  not interested on music while I ski.  Thanks for the help.

post #2 of 10

If money is no issue, I would look at the Smith Vantage. Pretty much everything I have wanted in a Helmet.

post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Holowiski View Post

Was out for a bike ride today and crashed. Took a lot of skin off my hip, shoulder, elbow and calf.  Head hit the cement and it took a big chunk out of my helmet! (never ride without one.)  Thinking about getting a ski helmet now.  Been skiing a long time but have never worn one.  Any recommendations ?  not interested on music while I ski.  Thanks for the help.



Funny you mention that as I gear up for my first season skiing in 5 years. I have never used a helmet, started skiing at 18. Seems everyone is using them, any generic recommendations?

post #4 of 10
First of all, best of luck with the recovery from the bike crash. Second- don't listen to helmet recommendation, the best helmet is the one that fits your head snug without causing any pressure points. Your head is different than my head, so my advice is to go to the store and try a bunch on, there will be one that will speak to you. Then buy that model in the color that you like. Last thing - when you go to the store, take your goggles with you and check the helmet / goggle fit as well. Good luck,
post #5 of 10

I'm also looking for a helmet. I guess I have an odd shaped head since any helmets I've tried want to stick up really high. While I don't care too much about the aesthetics, it looks ridicilous. Any recommendations for very low-profile helmets? I realize these probably don't offer as much protection but I'm ok with that compromise.

post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

First of all, best of luck with the recovery from the bike crash. Second- don't listen to helmet recommendation, the best helmet is the one that fits your head snug without causing any pressure points. Your head is different than my head, so my advice is to go to the store and try a bunch on, there will be one that will speak to you. Then buy that model in the color that you like. Last thing - when you go to the store, take your goggles with you and check the helmet / goggle fit as well. Good luck,


This is correct. I'd just add that try to get one with as many low profile opening vents as possible.

 

Some of my helmets have deep divots where the vents are (Giro Fuse), which allows snow to build up, and when you open them (if you do) it's brain-freeze city. My Giro Omen's vents are close to the surface, and not much collects in them.

 

Like said above, apart from features, recommendations don't do you any good - it's the fit you need to get right for YOUR head, so take your goggles and start visiting shops.

post #7 of 10

Another echo to what alexzn said. Lots of companies make great helmets. And each line tends to fit different heads. Smith usually fits my head well. Giro my spouse's. POC seems to fit a decent range - especially if you have the patience to mess with their fitting foam. Also, as noted - matching goggles & helmets for fit can be critical.

 

This is one of those products where trying it on before making a final buying decision is critical.

 

I am a huge fan of removable ear flap sections for spring skiing. 

 

Not surprisingly, the upper couple of models in each line tend to be a bit lighter, have better venting, etc. 

post #8 of 10

Ditto for matching helmet and googles. Looks aside (see gaper threads), a gap between the helmet and goggles is particularly ucomfortable when it's snowing and on really cold days.

 

Although you should definitely bring your goggles when trying on helmets, you'll probably find that in the end, it's much easier to find a new pair of goggles that interfaces with your helmet than the other way around.

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by garylk View Post

Ditto for matching helmet and googles. Looks aside (see gaper threads), a gap between the helmet and goggles is particularly ucomfortable when it's snowing and on really cold days.

 

Although you should definitely bring your goggles when trying on helmets, you'll probably find that in the end, it's much easier to find a new pair of goggles that interfaces with your helmet than the other way around.


Unless you have a bangin' pair of Zeal Optics photochromatic polarized goggles 

post #10 of 10

Agree with most of what's been said, lot of good helmets out there, would only add that vents (need, configuration) largely depend on where you ski, how you ski, and how warm you get. California, NW, Central or Southern Rockies, definitely. Northern Rockies or Northeast U.S., stays cold enough you probably won't want them open anyway. If you spend a lot of time skiing slowly or standing around, they don't do anything anyway. If you ski a lot of pow, they'll be a pain in the rear when they fill up with same. If you ski trees, no go because they negate penetration protection. If you rip through bumps constantly, you'll just want cool retro sunglasses instead of a helmet and googles anyway...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Helmet recommendation ?