EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › OFF SETTING YOUR BINDINGS TO THE INBOARD PRO / CON
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OFF SETTING YOUR BINDINGS TO THE INBOARD PRO / CON

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

I have been involved with a recent study of the advantages and disadvantages in binding offset . Im curious if there is anyone else out there with recent data on the pros and cons setting bindings inboard on POWDER  SKIS not groomers  .   I found the offset to be more stable in deep powder (stable) and with considerable side cut in the fat board great responce turning in the trees . The greater the side cut the more manageable on the groomed run . I am in no way saying a fat board with considerable side cut is a groomer ski but it sure helps when running out of the pow pow . There is edge loss use on the up hill edge but when in the deep pow you dont know it .

post #2 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhome View Post

I have been involved with a recent study of the advantages and disadvantages in binding offset . Im curious if there is anyone else out there with recent data on the pros and cons setting bindings inboard on POWDER  SKIS not groomers  .   I found the offset to be more stable in deep powder (stable) and with considerable side cut in the fat board great responce turning in the trees . The greater the side cut the more manageable on the groomed run . I am in no way saying a fat board with considerable side cut is a groomer ski but it sure helps when running out of the pow pow . There is edge loss use on the up hill edge but when in the deep pow you dont know it .


Like the duck foot mount. It's just another flavor of Kool-aid that not a whole lot of people like. I'm sure you won't find a data mine about it. But if it was so good more people would do it, binding manufacturers would take it into account, etc.

 

Do you have anything to say that is not related to Ogre skis?
 

post #3 of 13

I bought a pair of powder skis that were offset mounted and they ski a lot better on the hard back than an identical pair mounted center. I don't notice much difference in the pow.

post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post

I bought a pair of powder skis that were offset mounted and they ski a lot better on the hard back than an identical pair mounted center. I don't notice much difference in the pow.


Have you done this comparo one-footed? (seriously curious)

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 

Some just are followers within their Shame2 (K2) mentality only going with what the corporation tells them. Very few are out there actually trying new things" and talkiing about it" . If everyone (which is close to the case with  ecimmortl ) just did what their neighbor did we would all still be stuck with the gear we all used back in the 1970s. Thank God for people like Paul Nelson at Odyessey skis the shaped ski paved the way for all of us  other ski corporations included .

 

No ski or binding placement is the perfect ski for all conditions .For the expert skier exploration of ones gear and settings is impairitive . I myself  have a quiver of skis and can enjoy the design of each and everyone of them . Every so often I add skis to my quiver and the Ogre happens to be one of them . The best part of my quiver is I can pull out 21 different pairs of skis and critique the shape and binding placement of each ski . As a tester for  ski manufactures (we can talk about who in other posts)  this is impairative to reach a ski design for a certian condition which the manufacture wants to conquer .

 

Talking about the smaller ski company and its findings I find is much more intresting  than the status quo pumping up the larger  Shame2  style manufactured skis . When the next new and intresting ski comes out that I like.  I will be talking about that  and it will still be tough for (ecimmortl) because it seems   he's on the hate trail .  A big thank you to Oddessey skis and Paul Nelson for your contribution to the ski industry . By the way Ivan came out with his Patent after Paul Nelson .

 

I will say this it is nice to see the binding manufactures follow the ski manufactures by making their bindings wider .

post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 

In reply to (comprex) the uphill edging is not releiable on one foot     tough to hold the edge while on the hard pack .  

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhome View Post

Some just are followers within their Shame2 (K2) mentality only going with what the corporation tells them. Very few are out there actually trying new things" and talkiing about it" . If everyone (which is close to the case with  ecimmortl ) just did what their neighbor did we would all still be stuck with the gear we all used back in the 1970s. Thank God for people like Paul Nelson at Odyessey skis the shaped ski paved the way for all of us  other ski corporations included .

 

No ski or binding placement is the perfect ski for all conditions .For the expert skier exploration of ones gear and settings is impairitive . I myself  have a quiver of skis and can enjoy the design of each and everyone of them . Every so often I add skis to my quiver and the Ogre happens to be one of them . The best part of my quiver is I can pull out 21 different pairs of skis and critique the shape and binding placement of each ski . As a tester for  ski manufactures (we can talk about who in other posts)  this is impairative to reach a ski design for a certian condition which the manufacture wants to conquer .

 

Talking about the smaller ski company and its findings I find is much more intresting  than the status quo pumping up the larger  Shame2  style manufactured skis . When the next new and intresting ski comes out that I like.  I will be talking about that  and it will still be tough for (ecimmortl) because it seems   he's on the hate trail .  A big thank you to Oddessey skis and Paul Nelson for your contribution to the ski industry . By the way Ivan came out with his Patent after Paul Nelson .

 

I will say this it is nice to see the binding manufactures follow the ski manufactures by making their bindings wider .



I'm glad you think you know what I ski.

post #8 of 13

Comprex, I haven't tried it one footed, but when I did ski them on hard pack, I focused on the outside ski. I didn't think the offset was going to help the inside ski, rather hinder it, so I avoided weighting it much. I think the offset mount started as a way for people to ski the wide skis with a narrow stance, as they were coming from the 'old school' in the early 90s. The benefit of it now is that in mixed conditions, the outside ski is 'not as wide' when on edge on hard pack. The skis I have that are offset came that way and were likely from a sell off of a heli or cat guide service. They are my beloved Atomic Powder Plus 165cm. The brakes on the bindings appear to be designed for the offset mount as they are asymetric.

post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MastersRacer View Post

 

They are my beloved Atomic Powder Plus 165cm.

The brakes on the bindings appear to be designed for the offset mount as they are asymetric.


Marker M51's?

post #10 of 13


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhome View Post
 By the way Ivan came out with his Patent after Paul Nelson .

 

Hmmm. 

 

Ivan Petkov files on Feb. 4 1994 and publishes US 5405161 on Apr. 11, 1995

 

Paul Nelson files on   Aug. 29, 1991 (abandoned), files again on Aug. 3, 1992 (abandoned), files again on Apr. 4, 1993 (abandoned), files again on Sep. 23, 1994 and publishes as US5603522  on Feb. 18, 1997.

 

I think I understand the meaning of the words 'came out with'  differently than what you mean here.

post #11 of 13

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post


Marker M51's?


Ayuh!
 

post #12 of 13

CON: You can't switch feet if you trash an edge or wish to get on sharper edges.

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 

I stand corrected

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › OFF SETTING YOUR BINDINGS TO THE INBOARD PRO / CON