EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › When is a fat board ( powder board) too fat ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

When is a fat board ( powder board) too fat ?

Poll Results: I have seen the Ogre X by Odyssey skis and skied on them

Poll expired: Mar 14, 2011  
  • 83% (5)
    NO
  • 0% (0)
    YES
  • 16% (1)
    I WOULD TRY A PAIR OF OGRE X BY ODESSEY SKIS
  • 0% (0)
    I only ski the groomers
6 Total Votes  
post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Looking at the     Odysseyskis.com      web site      Paul Nelson     the orginal inventor of the shaped ski      has once again come out with the worlds first !  A powder board that will make any powder day a joyous one. These things are sick  you'll never find the bottom of the snow pack in a pair of these.  So the question is when is a board too wide when in the powder . Because these are powder skis and not groomers the question is when is a ski too fat ?

post #2 of 20

When the person skiing them decides they are too fat, then they are too fat. What might be too fat for you, might be just right for the guy who logs 30 days in a heli. There is really no way for us to sit here and decide what is right or wrong for people who ski all over the world. The people who say skis are too fat, too long, to whatever are usually just looking for a way to make themselves feel better about themselves (ie I am so good/old school/core that I don't need fat skis, those that do are cheating posers.

post #3 of 20

I honestly believe that the best powder ski shouldn't be all that wide. It should be moderately fat, with huge rocker, quite stiff and have reverse sidecut. Also if it is made of pure carbon then it's a nice perk.

 

I've been told it is called the Lotus 138.....

post #4 of 20

I'm really glad to see Odyssey is still going strong.

 

post #5 of 20

 these fat ski posts have become last seasons helmet posts.....  regardless its looks like a troll thread pumping a product.....

post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoyal View Post

When the person skiing them decides they are too fat, then they are too fat. What might be too fat for you, might be just right for the guy who logs 30 days in a heli. There is really no way for us to sit here and decide what is right or wrong for people who ski all over the world. The people who say skis are too fat, too long, to whatever are usually just looking for a way to make themselves feel better about themselves (ie I am so good/old school/core that I don't need fat skis, those that do are cheating posers.


^^I'm pretty sure that's the voice of reason speaking.^^ 

 

post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreu1026 View Post




^^I'm pretty sure that's the voice of reason speaking.^^ 

 


No way Cam, you know I am the most unreasonable person in the world :)

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

post #8 of 20

Strange thread.

 

It is not hard to see skis fatter than this on any random day at Stevens. I see the Odyssey crew up there now and again. They always seem to have smiles on their faces. Always seem friendly. But...

 

The Ogre is hardly a modern powder ski design. Unless I've been missing something, to date, I have yet to see an Odyssey with what I'd call a modern powder shape. Many, many companies now have fatter skis with more modern overall shape and camber profiles than the Ogres I've seen. It'll be interesting to see if their new designs offer up any major changes.

 

 

post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

 these fat ski posts have become last seasons helmet posts.....  regardless its looks like a troll thread pumping a product.....



This is the second thread the OP has made about these skis.

post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post

Strange thread.

 

It is not hard to see skis fatter than this on any random day at Stevens. I see the Odyssey crew up there now and again. They always seem to have smiles on their faces. Always seem friendly. But...

 

The Ogre is hardly a modern powder ski design. Unless I've been missing something, to date, I have yet to see an Odyssey with what I'd call a modern powder shape. Many, many companies now have fatter skis with more modern overall shape and camber profiles than the Ogres I've seen. It'll be interesting to see if their new designs offer up any major changes.

 

 


That was my first impression of these ski's. Not even close to being a modern design. They seem to have waay to much sidecut for a pow ski.
 

post #11 of 20

Went to the Odyssey website and what was really interesting was the piece on Paul Nelson and his long legal battle with K2 over his early Patents in ski design.  I started another thread on this http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/96037/paul-nelson-v-k2-score-one-for-the-big-corporation-0-for-the-inventor-who-changed-ski-design-forever#post_1247728

post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by apeyros View Post

I honestly believe that the best powder ski shouldn't be all that wide. It should be moderately fat, with huge rocker, quite stiff and have reverse sidecut. Also if it is made of pure carbon then it's a nice perk.

 

I've been told it is called the Lotus 138.....


Or Praxis Powder Boards :D

post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhome View Post  Paul Nelson     the orginal inventor of the shaped ski    


 

I thought Ivan invented the parabolic?

post #14 of 20
Thread Starter 

Five snow flakes go out to you ~~

post #15 of 20
Thread Starter 

lol

post #16 of 20
Thread Starter 

five buckets of rain to you !  Time you try them befor you comment  then I might respect you and your comments more   Oh Well to each his own

post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhome View Post

five buckets of rain to you !  Time you try them befor you comment  then I might respect you and your comments more   Oh Well to each his own


Spam less.

post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post


Spam less.


+1

 

I think it is great to pitch a ski you like. I also think you should be able to discuss and defend it in an informed manner. If you, motorhome,  are going to throw out blanket assertions, it pays to be able to defend them.

 

At Stevens Pass, you routinely see skis that

 

a) are wider than 115 and even 130mm underfoot

b) incorporate some form of rocker or reverse camber

c) are designed with early taper

 

So, what exactly is it that would distinguish the skis you mention in a pack that includes skis demonstrating the kind of powder skiing innovations found in the design of K2 Pontoons, K2 Hell Bents,  Praxis Powders, Praxis ProTests, Armada ARGs, Armada JJs, DPS Lotus 138s, Line EP Pros, Atomic Bent Chetlers, Volkl Kuros, Volkl Chopsticks, Elan Boomerangs - and skis like Rossi S7s, DPS Wailer 112RPs, K2 ObSetheds, an assortment of ON3P skis, several 4FRNTs, etc., etc., etc...

 

Note that the Pontoons are going on their 5th season.

 

I looked at the Odyssey site and given what was there, really saw little to distinguish the Ogres from other older school fat skis. Do you have info not available on the site? If so, care to share?

 

I'm not knocking Odyssey or the Odyssey crew. But unless there is something non-obvious going on, I don't understand what you are pitching.

post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDoyal View Post




No way Cam, you know I am the most unreasonable person in the world " class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="/img/vbsmilies/smilies//smile.gif" title=":)" width="" />

I reject your reality and substitute my own!


As long as you get my boots right you can live in what ever reality you want.  

post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreu1026 View Post




As long as you get my boots right you can live in what ever reality you want.  


Sweet! Cause I really like my reality right now. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › When is a fat board ( powder board) too fat ?