EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › What level of skier are you? (new version)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What level of skier are you? (new version)

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 

I remember there has been lots of discussion on this topic with different skiing level systems used.

I've recently found one that looks most reasonable to me - http://www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com/about-the-course_group-and-skier-levels.htm

 

It's also easy to use because you can see the videos of the respective level.

 

So what level do you think you are at? 

post #2 of 29

I didn't watch the video, because I know I'm just short of being a god.

 

No I'm not a ski instructor.  :)

post #3 of 29

Going only up to 6 is different then the traditional levels that go up to 9.  I do think that some resorts (Copper for example) use a system like this however.

 

post #4 of 29
Thread Starter 

Look closer - this system isn't a 6-level one actually. Every level has two sublevels, so it is actually a 12-level system that rates skiers which are at levels 4/5 - 9 on a standard scale.

post #5 of 29

I don't ski like any of those skiers.  Closest would be 5-advanced, but smoother, at higher speeds, less angulation higher tipping angles, better edge-locked carving and no pole plants. 

 

Of course how one thinks one skis and what the camera sees are often two different things, so until I see the video I ski just like Didier Cuche.

post #6 of 29

My point being that people will often refer to themselves or others as a "level 7" skier or 8, so just for communicating this confuses things.

 

Particularly if you say you're a level 5 skier (that system) and someone thinks "they're a low level intermediate."

post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiMangoJazz View Post

Going only up to 6 is different then the traditional levels that go up to 9.  I do think that some resorts (Copper for example) use a system like this however.

 


I go to 11.

post #8 of 29

The video for level 6 makes me wish I didn't live in the east. 

 

I'm probably 5 advanced or 6. But someone else might think otherwise. " class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="/img/vbsmilies/smilies//smile.gif" title=":)" width="" />

 

Seriously though - it's very hard to self-judge ones abilities. I would say an accurate assessment for a man would be self-assessment minus 1 or 2 levels, and for a woman add a level or 2. Of course there are exceptions. So by my logic, I am a 7. 

 

Elsbeth

post #9 of 29
Thread Starter 

I for some reason really love the system - may be cuz it doesn't deal with low levels and concentrates more on the more advanced ones, where the true difference is.

 

I personally am a level 4-1 (standard or whatever they call it).

post #10 of 29


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeyros View Post

I for some reason really love the system - may be cuz it doesn't deal with low levels and concentrates more on the more advanced ones, where the true difference is.

 

I personally am a level 4-1 (standard or whatever they call it).


Some of those distinctions and priorities seem rather... cultural, as in adapted to a specific customer group in a specific terrain environment.

 

For example, I can see where an audience that spends their 2weeks of holidays in very large mountains would not be interested in the basics of race training until level 5-1.

 

Over here, level 3-2 skiers  that drive to their local 600 foot hill 2-3 days or nights per week will be *excruciatingly bored* if they don't get _some_ racing or terrain park play.

 

(Oh, and having a level called "Advanced advanced (but not expert!)" is just either too kludgey for words or a nice little joke).

post #11 of 29

They need to add some powder and bump examples for each level, i can ski any groomer well(judging myself makes it difficulf of course) but my powder skills are pretty poor and bump skill are intermediate, i would say 5 for groomers but i really dont have anything to judge off for bumps/powder

post #12 of 29



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowyphil65 View Post

They need to add some powder and bump examples for each level, i can ski any groomer well(judging myself makes it difficulf of course) but my powder skills are pretty poor and bump skill are intermediate, i would say 5 for groomers but i really dont have anything to judge off for bumps/powder



I agree.  I can ski that blue square just like any of those if I want, but I'm better in powder, and can't do bumps for shnydes, so it still is not a good scale to rate people.  Maybe we are a level ___ in your best area, then you knock yourself down a level or sublevel for things you can't do.  I.E.  I'm an 8 (for argument's sake) because I can ski all types of snow and terrains with competence and balance, but I'm a 7 due to the -1 for a no go on the bumps.  or a 7+ maybe, or an 8 -.  Something gay like that.

post #13 of 29

I'm about two levels above whatever level Chaos claims to be.

 

Or, to put it another way "one louder"

 

one_louder_tshirt-p2355791200571216043p05_400.jpg

post #14 of 29

I didn't watch the video because I know I'm just short of being good.

=)

post #15 of 29

The Level 5 advanced expert doesn't look all that sharp to me.  Outside foot skidding away, etc. is about a PSIA Level 6 skier.  Level 6 is a class where you prepare to be ready for introduction to bumps.

post #16 of 29

The "competition athlete" was pretty lame too. 

post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpfreaq View Post

I didn't watch the video because I know I'm just short of being good.

=)


Oh wow.    Well done.     

 

Last time we skied together you were just short of being ready to know what it /means/ to be good.

 

post #18 of 29

They really should include some video footage that matches the descriptions in the text.

post #19 of 29

I'm not a number. I have no need to measure myself in such a manner; the need to do so suggests insecurity about one's skiing.

 

post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by volantaddict View Post

I'm not a number. I have no need to measure myself in such a manner; the need to do so suggests insecurity about one's skiing.

 


+1

 

oh wait, that's a number!

post #21 of 29

Ho-hum. This again.

 

The levels are designated class levels, not skier levels.

 

What's the point in trying to use a student classification system to describe the skier, rather than the class? Bragging rights? OCD?

post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by iWill View Post

Ho-hum. This again.

 

The levels are designated class levels, not skier levels.

 

What's the point in trying to use a student classification system to describe the skier, rather than the class? Bragging rights? OCD?


If the two aren't highly correlated, then it would mean that the group lesson is a sham.   (This sort of vexing weasel word talk by instructor types is just one of the many reasons so few skiers take repeat lessons.  Sort of like the stunning, but commonly-made-on-epic statement that instructor accreditation at a certain level doesn't imply the ability to teach or ski with that ability level except on the exam day ... somewhat of a conflict with the meaning of "accreditation," no?)

 

The fact that this topic surfaces several times a year is proof that the issue is relevant to many skiers.  There's no need to belittle them for their interest in it.  (In the interest of full disclosure, I have no personal interest in any PSIA or ISIA-related ranking system for skiers.  I would be mortified to find myself skiing with some of the movements which their upper level students use.  On the PSIA numerical scale, my movment patterns are off on the imaginary axis somewhere )

post #23 of 29

Would you rather be on a level, or go down hill?  Somebody has to care how good they are, hope this helps. 

 

Teaching programs need a way to split up groups; A to F, 1 to 9, this, or what ever.  Can see where a 1 to 6 system could be way more economical for ski schools on a slow day though.  Level rating systems were never created to be a do it yourself program.   Not many of us see film of our skiing very often, so we really are not the ones who should decide. 

 

Students will over rate themselves, most of those that do it really well will under rate themselves.   Don't worry though, when we go to ESA they will happily tell us where to go.

 

We need winter now.  Is it snowing where you are?  Not here either.

post #24 of 29

Well based on this description:

 

"Level 4 Advanced

This group consists of skiers who can ski with confidence on Blues, Reds and Black runs. They can carve effectively from turn to turn on nicely groomed snow but are not so consistent when the snow is icy or un-groomed. Skiers in this group can get down steeps, moguls and freeride terrain with confidence and a semi consistent technique but lose control approximately 30% of the time. Skiers at this level want to develop performance towards skiing 40 degrees slopes with good technique and direct (zip) line moguls".

 

I don't lose control a third of the time, more like ten and then only off piste, but whatever. Sounds close for a guy that has 6-7 seasons in and is 50

post #25 of 29

I can & have skied most everything but still have good days & bad days.

 

Sometimes it even comes down to a few good runs & then you lose it.

post #26 of 29

I'm a solid ten. On a good day, off the chart.

post #27 of 29

I think I started last season as a 2.1 and ended it as a 3.2.   I hope to move up to 4.2 this season.

post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by comprex View Post




Oh wow.    Well done.     

 

Last time we skied together you were just short of being ready to know what it /means/ to be good.

 


I have no idea what you're talking about.

=)

post #29 of 29

Sorry I never got past Warren's Home Page.

 

The contrail behind the guy skiing Powder,  THATS ME !   Oh shit thats a rock - sorry thought that was me throwing up some powder - maybe another rating system just made me throw up.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › What level of skier are you? (new version)