EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Race helmet for rec skiing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Race helmet for rec skiing?

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

I have been using a Smith Variant for the pat two years. It is instantly forgettable, which is what I want in a helmet. But last weekend I put on a Uvex race helmet, and a POC race as well. While the Uvex fit better, I was impressed with the increased sense of coverage (and security) of this race design. It came down lower in the back. And where my Smith is cut high and is fabric around the ears, the Uvex fully covered them and even provided some protection around the side of the face. Goggles felt more comfortable as well with less pressure on the face.

A couple years ago a helmet saved my life when I got taken out from behind by a woman who said she pulled up behind me because she admired my skiing. Head slammed onto solid ice. Lost consciousness twice. Lived to tell the tale.So no one has to convince me of the merits of a helmet. But is a race helmet (hate to use the term) "over-kill" for aggressive rec skiing. And if not, can you "forget" you are wearing one?

Thanks

David

post #2 of 18

If it makes YOU feel safer then go for it.

post #3 of 18
Are you concerned about the way it looks or the way other perceive you? Buy the best helmet that fits you, feels comfortable and does the job. The rest is not important..
post #4 of 18

It is getting harder to find the full helmet as most shops in my area just carry the soft ear flap snowboard type helmet these days. I guess they are cheaper.

post #5 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanoT View Post

It is getting harder to find the full helmet as most shops in my area just carry the soft ear flap snowboard type helmet these days. I guess they are cheaper.


They aren't "snowboard type". That's just a ridiculous statement.

 

Just like cycling people want a mix of safety, comfort, and styling.

 

Other options exist from the norm, but businesses are going to carry what their customers want to buy.

post #6 of 18

I think if you go to a shop with a large sellection, both giro and smith make full helmets. and full face helmets are far from forgettable but protect your face (teeth) also

post #7 of 18

There is no such thing as "over-kill" when it comes to protecting our brains, except maybe the ones from Spaceballs. You can judge quality and fit.  The only remaining question is does a Poc protect your head against g-forces induced by a collision or fall on ice at speed any better than a $50 Bollé from Costco. 

Any research on that one?

post #8 of 18
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

Are you concerned about the way it looks or the way other perceive you? Buy the best helmet that fits you, feels comfortable and does the job. The rest is not important.


Yes. 

No.

Agreed.

 

post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

 The only remaining question is does a Poc protect your head against g-forces induced by a collision or fall on ice at speed any better than a $50 Bollé from Costco. 

Any research on that one?


Better wear your full face helmet to that party.

post #10 of 18

Getting a race helmet for rec. skiing is the best you could do for head protection...

 

But there is one thing that you  need to consider most: Fitment..Race helmets must fit absolutely tight/even little uncomfortable/ for best results. For some people this a little more squeeze on head, than needed... Other than that, I suggest you buy the helmet from store and try it out first..

When I got my helmet at first I was thinking of returning it, but turned out it is a perfect fit..

 

Look at some pics of Bode, Ligety, Cuche, etc; and notice how tight their helmets are..

If fitment isn't right/ultra tight/, that redefines the purpose of bying helmet like that...... GL.

 

P.S. Otherwise will be like saddle on a cow..

post #11 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy4g63 View Post

Getting a race helmet for rec. skiing is the best you could do for head protection...

 

But there is one thing that you  need to consider most: Fitment..Race helmets must fit absolutely tight/even little uncomfortable/ for best results. For some people this a little more squeeze on head, than needed... Other than that, I suggest you buy the helmet from store and try it out first..

When I got my helmet at first I was thinking of returning it, but turned out it is a perfect fit..

 

Look at some pics of Bode, Ligety, Cuche, etc; and notice how tight their helmets are..

If fitment isn't right/ultra tight/, that redefines the purpose of bying helmet like that...... GL.

 

P.S. Otherwise will be like saddle on a cow..


That is good advice and appreciate it. May also explains why the XL in the Uvex WIng race felt similar to the L sizes in the rec helmets I have used. Are some race helmets "sized" smaller for that reason?

post #12 of 18

Yeah, they tend to run a little large-Uvex and Briko...

Don't know about POC, Carrera and others..

post #13 of 18

Smith Variants are awesome. Just keep it.

 

You are over thinking the situation.

post #14 of 18
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldsofGlory View Post

Smith Variants are awesome. Just keep it.

 

You are over thinking the situation.


Isn't that what we do here?

post #15 of 18

YES!......finally a helmet thread.......

post #16 of 18

If you think through the physics of a crash, the odds of the Variant not protecting your ears or the lower part of your head are remote. Anything can happen, but I wouldn't unduly worry about this.

 

The Variant is awesome. I don't think it protects better than most helmets (I think protection is mostly about the same), but it is so comfortable you could wear it 24/7 if you wanted ... and this means you will actually wear it.

 

If I lost or damaged my helmet, I would get another Smith Variant (probably Variant Brim, which is what I have, it's helpful for holding goggles up ...)

post #17 of 18

I ski with Scott WC Pro which I got as gift. It's "standard" race helmet and I have no problems using it. It actually feels better then those soft ear helmet, and it's safer too. How do I look in it? Most likely ugly, but when it comes to this, I doubt any helmet would help

post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
The only remaining question is does a Poc protect your head against g-forces induced by a collision or fall on ice at speed any better than a $50 Bollé from Costco. 

Any research on that one?

FWIW, we have some reaaally long threads on this. Detailed discussions of how different types of helmets are made and why. (And of course, Epic members couldn't agree on whether it was a good idea to use a parachute when sky diving, so no consensus.) I will add that someone up higher mentioned full face and teeth. Some evidence that front face bars/panels increase risk of bounce at speed, concussion and/or neck issues. Which is why not used by FIS for anything beyond slalom. (Some now will disgree with that, too.) 

 

As far as OP, can see no reason not to get a true race helmet except that it's going to be heavy and hot. Maybe OP likes heavy and hot...
 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Race helmet for rec skiing?