So I've been on the hunt for a new pair of ski pants, but have had trouble settling on a pair. I'm looking for some pants that are versatile/breathable enough to use in bounds and out, along with some light mountaineering. I spend most of my time skiing in the Sierras, but often venture out to CO,UT and WY, so extra warmth will be needed from time to time. I'm not married to a brand, but I'd like to keep the pants budget below 200 bucks (anymore than that and I'll be tempted to snag a new pair of skis instead : ) Anyways, I know it's a boring topic, but any ideas are appreciated!
Related Forum Threads
- Should I go for a one piece suit this season? Last post on 12/12/14 at 9:45pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- I need help picking out a jacket and pants. Help me decide please! Last post on 11/14/12 at 1:33pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Ski pants tailoring - Vermont or Pennsylvania Last post on 10/20/11 at 10:23am in Ski Gear Discussion
- Waterproof Pants for Skinny Legs! Last post on 10/11/11 at 11:59am in Ski Gear Discussion
- Arcteryx Sidewinder SV pant Last post on 2/19/10 at 3:12pm in Member Gear Reviews
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
On the hunt for new ski pants...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Well, I am a fan of bibs rather than pants. Hard to beat the Marmot Randonee bib. Pretty light weight, full side zips that run the length of the pant from both ends. Reasonably durable and a bit of padding in the knee. One word of caution, they do run LONG. I seem to recall getting mine for under $200 if you hunt around for a deal.
Spyder Tarantula, only come in black, lightly insulated or shell, short reg long inseam. 200 days on mine, still in good shape. They are good for warm spring 60 degree day, with a base layer they're good for below zero.
If you are willing to consider used in good condition, PM me.
Otherwise, it will be very hard to find a top-notch pant under $200 new these days, and from your description it sounds like you will appreciate a top-notch 3-layer shell pant. My personal favorites are Arcteryx (Sidewinder and Theta, definitely above $200), Patagonia (for BC you need Primo, again above $200), I also second the vote for Marmot Randonee (those were originally designed by Doug Coombs and it shows). Cloudveil Koven and Koven Plus are great too if you can find them.
Thanks, I really appreciate the ideas. It looks as though I might have to bump the budget up a bit in order to get into a quality pair of pants, but we'll see.
@Alexzn: Right now I'm leaning towards "new", but if I start looking at "used" I'll definitely reach out. Thanks again for the input!
I find it difficult to purchase pants on line, since fit is so important. Try on as many pair as you can at the fall sales and look for some with 3 layer Gortex XCR or its equivalent.
I hate soggy ass.
Last year I bought a set of Westcomb pants that have a removable bib. Its a nice feature to have to be able to remove the bib on warmer days. Their E-vent membrane is supposed to be more breathable than goretex.
They were awesome.
For all of you who live in the rainy Pacific Northwest, did you all know that there's an Arctyrx outlet in North Vancouver? You sort of have to take pot luck, but the times I've been there (easy day trip from Seattle or Tacoma), they've had an abundance of bigs and regular ski pants.
- On the hunt for new ski pants...
- › Cons and Pros. Atomic Vantage cti 90 vs Nordica Enforcer 93 19 seconds ago
- › Where to ski to see majestic mountains out West (for intermediate... 9 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 13 minutes ago
- › Demo bindings 22 minutes ago
- › Montage Mountain, PA — 2016 JAN 25 — GreyPilgrim 35 minutes ago
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 36 minutes ago
- › Steelers Baby! 40 minutes ago
- › Bomberskiclinic stowe / Alta lodge powder tracks 47 minutes ago
- › 2016-2017 Four Corners (S.CO/AZ/NM) Weather Discussion 54 minutes ago
- › Christmas cancelled, trip moved to mid-Feb. Suggestions please? 55 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer