EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › Deer Creek Ride with Friends
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Deer Creek Ride with Friends - Page 2

post #31 of 39

I found the LCC climb which in the tour of utah is rated HC.

 

http://runkeeper.com/user/jbryer/activity/15421393

 

its a 6.8 percent grade

 

its actually pretty easy to climb.

 

post #32 of 39

I did not ride this event.....no real reason other than I've struggled to motivate for riding the last few weeks.  I've barely managed to ride 6-7 hours a week.  I've turned the page on riding and am ready for the WROD.  It happens every year.....I"m ready for ski season well before the skiing is available or good and the biking is still primo and in the spring I'm ready for the biking well before the good skiing has ended or in some cases (like 2010) even started.  

 

Bob that is a very impressive time for that route...my hat is off to both of you.  

post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASkiDawg View Post

I did not ride this event.....no real reason other than I've struggled to motivate for riding the last few weeks.  I've barely managed to ride 6-7 hours a week.  I've turned the page on riding and am ready for the WROD.  It happens every year.....I"m ready for ski season well before the skiing is available or good and the biking is still primo and in the spring I'm ready for the biking well before the good skiing has ended or in some cases (like 2010) even started.  

 

Bob that is a very impressive time for that route...my hat is off to both of you.  

 

fall is the best time of year to bike IMO its like the spring equivlent of skiing.

 

I too would get bored though grinding away on the road forever. Maybe this winter you should do what the german national team does and set a trainer up inches from a brick wall. Trainers are torture devices already, setting it up inches from a brick wall will for sure build you mental endurance. by next fall youll be itching your bike as long as possible.
 

post #34 of 39

Do I hear Slumgullion calling you Josh?  Or perhaps Grand Mesa the hard way?

 

I do agree with you that the grades tend to be shallower in the rockies than in the east.  However, that's not true of all of them.  And it is different climbing even a7, 8, or 10 percent grade at a few hundred feet above sea level and at10-12k feet.

 

Mike

post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASkiDawg View Post

I did not ride this event.....no real reason other than I've struggled to motivate for riding the last few weeks.  I've barely managed to ride 6-7 hours a week.  I've turned the page on riding and am ready for the WROD.  It happens every year.....I"m ready for ski season well before the skiing is available or good and the biking is still primo and in the spring I'm ready for the biking well before the good skiing has ended or in some cases (like 2010) even started.  

 

Bob that is a very impressive time for that route...my hat is off to both of you.  


I hear you Dave.  I'm just about done with bike season -- a week and a few days and then it will be catch as catch can.  I've got the Buff a week from Sunday as my last goal for the season.  My buddy is trying to convince me it is important to rack up 5000 miles for the year, but I'll be at about 4,650 and if I get to 5k, that'll be nice.  I do intend to convert to hiking season as soon as the Buff is over.

 

Mike

post #36 of 39
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

 

Don youll see me next summer someone time I hope. Good luck turning my legs inside out :P.

You’re a good sport Josh…and it’d be great to have you out for some riding next season.  Insofar as the % grades out here at altitude Mike hit upon it; when you’re spinning away at 10 or 11 % for a period of time at anything above 7000 feet in altitude then all of a sudden you’re smacked with kickers of 16 to 20 some % showing up on your Garmin Edge…you begin to breath a bit more deeply wondering when the hell that wall will frigg’n end…finding sometimes that it’s just starting      



 

post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post



 

fall is the best time of year to bike IMO its like the spring equivlent of skiing.

 

I too would get bored though grinding away on the road forever. Maybe this winter you should do what the german national team does and set a trainer up inches from a brick wall. Trainers are torture devices already, setting it up inches from a brick wall will for sure build you mental endurance. by next fall youll be itching your bike as long as possible.
 




While I generally agree with you....I'm not a huge fan of spring skiing...I like mid-winter snow..light fluffy pow or good edgeable packed pow...spring slop does nothing for me....I realize though that you can get great pow in the spring.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by habacomike View Post




I hear you Dave.  I'm just about done with bike season -- a week and a few days and then it will be catch as catch can.  I've got the Buff a week from Sunday as my last goal for the season.  My buddy is trying to convince me it is important to rack up 5000 miles for the year, but I'll be at about 4,650 and if I get to 5k, that'll be nice.  I do intend to convert to hiking season as soon as the Buff is over.

 

Mike

 

I'm thinking of doing Mt Evans from Golden this weekend and the Copper Triangle route next weekend and then after that just try to get in 300-350 TSS or a so a week until T-day and then I'll be off the bike for 6-8 weeks.
 

post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

I found the LCC climb which in the tour of utah is rated HC.

 

http://runkeeper.com/user/jbryer/activity/15421393

 

its a 6.8 percent grade

 

its actually pretty easy to climb.

 

 

 

Anything is easy to climb going slow with low enough gears....yeah the pros rate it HC (or Cat 1 even) but it's easy
 

post #39 of 39

great post Don.  It was an awesome ride just like today.  II think we ended up with 55 miles and it seemed like less.  I really liked riding with Betsy as we are well matched.  We had a lot of laughs and great conversation when we were not working on just breathing.  E

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › Deer Creek Ride with Friends