EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › 10 speed mtn group from Shimano
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

10 speed mtn group from Shimano - Page 2

post #31 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post




I have 9 speed shimano stuff for sale if you want it.



Thanks for the offer, but I am now stocked up for an estimated 3-4 years of wear and tear. Went on a small buying spree. FD, RD, chainrings, cassettes, BBs. Everything XT and on sale!. I already had a partial stash-I tend to pick up stuff as it comes on sale for later use.

 

*********************

Thinking about the change from 9sp to 10sp there is really no benefit that I can see for those of us with triple cranks. I mean the gear range is actually less compared to a 9sp with the lower high gear (low gear remains the same). Weight is a tad higher and the cranks are the same design. But not to worry. Everthing 10sp is more expensive.

 

At least when they went from 8sp to 9sp, there was some real advantages such as going from square taper BBs to pipe billet (octalink) which really stiffened up the cranks and going from a 30t low to a 34t low for XT on the cogs. Plus they beefed up everthing without much of a weight gain

post #32 of 52


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

But what was really the problem in the past was the cranks. A year after the world went to 9sp I couldn't find a replacement 8sp XT crank.

 

And have you noticed the price to go 10sp? Quite a bit higher than 9sp.
 


I just looked up wholesale pricing for 9 vs 10. It's exactly the same for both. To the penny in some cases. Sure you can get 9 spd on sale, but compare apples to apples.

post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post





Thanks for the offer, but I am now stocked up for an estimated 3-4 years of wear and tear. Went on a small buying spree. FD, RD, chainrings, cassettes, BBs. Everything XT and on sale!. I already had a partial stash-I tend to pick up stuff as it comes on sale for later use.

 

*********************

Thinking about the change from 9sp to 10sp there is really no benefit that I can see for those of us with triple cranks. I mean the gear range is actually less compared to a 9sp with the lower high gear (low gear remains the same). Weight is a tad higher and the cranks are the same design. But not to worry. Everthing 10sp is more expensive.

 

At least when they went from 8sp to 9sp, there was some real advantages such as going from square taper BBs to pipe billet (octalink) which really stiffened up the cranks and going from a 30t low to a 34t low for XT on the cogs. Plus they beefed up everthing without much of a weight gain


IF you think octo is good you should try External BB or BB30. LIghter and stiffer and less toools!

post #34 of 52

I don't need 30 gears.  Ten gears will do. I just need that tenth gear to be 3 times higher, while leaving the first three gears alone and making the others gears span the range.

post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

I don't need 30 gears.  Ten gears will do. I just need that tenth gear to be 3 times higher, while leaving the first three gears alone and making the others gears span the range.


I don't need 30 years to get my ass kicked, I can do it with 18. 

post #36 of 52

Has anyone mentioned that the new Shimano 10 spd Mt group is optimized to work with full suspension bikes? If not, well there is that.

 

... and for the retro-grouches who don't want 30 spds, just remember that 4 to 6 of the gears shouldn't be used (don't cross chain, it's bad for you) so it's really, like, 24 spd. Don't you feel better now?

 

I was adamantly against 9 spd. I was against suspension forks. I was against full suspension. I was against disc brakes. I was against low tire pressure. I was  against fat, grippy, soft compound tires.

 

My instinct is '10 spd is stupid, who needs it?'... look which side THAT usually puts me on.

 

post #37 of 52

I can barely use half the gears I have in both my smallest and biggest chain ring on trial rides. so the 9 spd isn't exactly working all that great for me.

 

I would like 2x10 if the gear ratios actually made sense and let me use more gears with a better chain line. Something like... 28-39 wiht a 11-36 on the cassette.


Edited by tromano - 7/22/10 at 9:28pm
post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post

I can barely use half the gears I have in both my smallest and biggest chain ring on trial rides. so the 9 spd isn't exactly working all that great for me.

 

I would like 2x10 if the gear ratios actually made sense and let me use more gears with a better chain line. Something like... 28-39 wiht a 11-36 on the cassette.

SRAM XX, 11-36t cassette? check.

 

 

Chainring options of 26-39t or 28-42t. not exactly what you asked for, but pretty close and I'll wager that the 39t and the 42t can be swapped (both 120/80 BCD), giving you a 28-39t x 11-36t. So, yeah.
 

post #39 of 52

Well then that actually sounds pretty good. But I am not in a huge hurry to upgrade.

post #40 of 52
Thread Starter 

With all that is said and where I live and ride.....the bottom line is my bottom gear. The rest is all well and good, but when you come to that steep section... there is nothing better than a 22x34 combo. It works out that the 10sp 24x36 is the same.

 

Is it worth me spending $1000 to convert to the latest set up? Nope.

 

If I bought a new bike today and it had the 10sp set up, would it be a bad thing? Nope.

 

Bottom line is there no compelling reason for me to switch my Superlight to 10 sp beyond keeping up with the Jonesez.

 

And a 2x10 ain't gonna cut it in the Sierras. A 28x36 is not as low as a 22x34. YMMV depending on where you ride

post #41 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post




IF you think octo is good you should try External BB or BB30. LIghter and stiffer and less toools!


True, but as often as I change out BBs (once every two plus years) it really isn't that important. I have 752 XT cranks.
 

post #42 of 52

To me the 22x34 is the only truly worthless gear on my bike. I won't miss it at all. Whenever I actually try to climb in that gear I have to spin so fast my HR will be spiking within a couple of miles. If its technical at all i will strike my pedals all the time in that gear. I have never found a climb where that gear worked better than a taller gear e.g. 22x28. Its not even useful to spin slowly as a recovery gear on very steep and longer climbs, the 30 works better. I will never ride in that gear. Its just too low. I am can walk faster than I can climb in that gear and I  recover faster, if dismount and walk too.


Edited by tromano - 7/22/10 at 11:05pm
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post



SRAM XX, 11-36t cassette? check.

 

 

Chainring options of 26-39t or 28-42t. not exactly what you asked for, but pretty close and I'll wager that the 39t and the 42t can be swapped (both 120/80 BCD), giving you a 28-39t x 11-36t. So, yeah.
 


are they making bash options for the 120/80 BCD yet?

 

I hit my bash a couple times every ride and would not want to ruin a chainring that fast.

 

post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post




are they making bash options for the 120/80 BCD yet?

 

I hit my bash a couple times every ride and would not want to ruin a chainring that fast.

 


Sure.... it's called XTR.

post #45 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post




Sure.... it's called XTR.


I have no problem running shimano cranks, so XTR has 2x10 plus bash?

 

Its loggy and rocky around here.

 

Also anyone know if they are coming out with 10 speed rings for 104 BCD?

post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post




I have no problem running shimano cranks, so XTR has 2x10 plus bash?

 

Its loggy and rocky around here.

 

Also anyone know if they are coming out with 10 speed rings for 104 BCD?


they're out now. You can buy an XT 24t and 32t.

post #47 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post




they're out now. You can buy an XT 24t and 32t.


but they wont fit my XT cranks well they?

post #48 of 52

If your cranks are 104 bcd (which thay are) then they will fit.

post #49 of 52

so just to confirm... I can go 10 spd wiht mt Xt 104bcd 9spd cranks? yes?
 

post #50 of 52

yes you can

post #51 of 52
post #52 of 52
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tromano View Post

so just to confirm... I can go 10 spd wiht mt Xt 104bcd 9spd cranks? yes?
 



Yep-assuming the spacing is correct between the rings-was not the case going from 8 to 9sp rings on an 8sp crank. I found that out the hard way.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Off-Season Sports & The Lighter Side › Cycling › 10 speed mtn group from Shimano