New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Copper over 28 years

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

[Warning: this may or may not be interesting to anyone except me]

 

Today I found a photo I took of my brother at the bottom of B1 lift in about 1982 ... realized I had taken a photo of my dog last spring in a similar spot. Turns out it was VERY similar. (Obviously no more B1 lift; the Super Bee is looker's left in the new pic)

 

copperb1.jpgIMG_0818.JPG

post #2 of 11

Thanks for posting. Compared to you I am a newby only calling Copper my home mountain over the last 7 years.

post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

[Warning: this may or may not be interesting to anyone except me]

 

Actually it's interesting to me, as I recently watched "Copper Mountain", which must have been filmed around that time. ( Were you and/or your brother in any of the crowd scenes? ;-)

 

I enjoyed what little skiing it did have, and I have to admit Jim Carrey's spot-on impression of late 70's Steve Martin made me chuckle out loud, but otherwise it was a truly awful movie. So bad it was ... bad. Really, really bad.

 

Cool pix.

post #4 of 11

All that is completely recognizable - Rosi's, etc.  If you had turned around 180 degrees in the first picture I bet no one today would recognize it.

 

Nice pics!

 

By the way, I found these the other day, I posted them a while ago:

 

CM-Before.jpg

 

CM-Today.jpg

post #5 of 11

Really enjoyed the time lapse shots.

 

Warning extreme hijack coming, too lazy to start new thread.

 

Summit of Blue Knob, PA ~1968, me on right:48261306b25f6.jpg

 

Summit of Blue Knob 2008, son in background:1203999497_pic10.jpg

By the way, the chairlift on right passing thru two red towers is the same as above.  It was installed around 1964. 

 

Invite others to post ski photos of a similar nature spanning a lot of time!

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 

Oh, those are great ... taken from K chute, maybe?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinn View Post

All that is completely recognizable - Rosi's, etc.  If you had turned around 180 degrees in the first picture I bet no one today would recognize it.

 

Nice pics!

 

By the way, I found these the other day, I posted them a while ago:

 

CM-Before.jpg

 

CM-Today.jpg

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesj View Post

Really enjoyed the time lapse shots.

 

Warning extreme hijack coming, too lazy to start new thread.

....

Invite others to post ski photos of a similar nature spanning a lot of time!

Great hijack ... and I have another kinda weird one. I was in an antique shop about 2 mi from my house in Colorado and came across two framed watercolors of Zermatt, where we had skied the previous year. One looked an awful lot like where we had eaten lunch the first day. I bought them and when I took them home, sure enough, same village (Findeln). The perspectives aren't exactly the same, but you can pick out the buildings (esp the white one). The Matterhorn is hiding behind clouds in the photos.

 

photo.JPG

 

IMG_0234.JPG

 

IMG_0232.JPG
 

post #8 of 11

Photo's of copper really cool, skied Copper first time this yr and really enjoyed it though i had a bit of a knee issue.  the far right (as facing the mountain) Highpoint (i think) lift must be the same ... a really long long 2 pack.

 

Segbrown, did you happen to take the new ones and match by accident or after you found older photos?   Really really neat, like the photo of the village!

post #9 of 11

Vinn:

 

What year is that first photo?  Must be late 60's or very early 70's.  VP is still US6.
 

post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post

....Segbrown, did you happen to take the new ones and match by accident or after you found older photos?   Really really neat, like the photo of the village!

Totally by accident.
 

post #11 of 11


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

Oh, those are great ... taken from K chute, maybe?
 


 


Yup, I'm pretty sure that's K chute.  The top photo has Chuck Lewis in.  I think Chris Colman took it, or at least that's who I got the pictures from.  Chris was traveling to California when his car broke down at Copper.  Chuck offered to put him to work and he ended up never leaving.  Chris was something like employee #6 at Copper and last I heard he was still there.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

Vinn:

 

What year is that first photo?  Must be late 60's or very early 70's.  VP is still US6.
 


This was the summer they started cutting the runs on the hill leading into the first winter they did cat skiing.  I believe that was 1971.  The next summer when the lifts went in was 1972 and that's often cited as the year Copper opened. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel