I have decided my next bike will be a roadie. My goal is to be able to train up for MTB riding and get in base miles earlier in the spring before the trails are ready. Also want to improve my clmbing strength. I also have interest in doing a few century rides on road.
I know all the LBS in the area. And hav e agood idea of where I would go.
1. Whats the first step? Getting fit?
2. What frame matrials should I look for? Alu? Steel? Alu w/ carbon stays? Is there a big difference? I don't think I will get carbon for my price range. Is CF worht the extra money, do I really need to get CF?
3. What level of components should I look for?
4. 3. Whats up with the total lack of conguency between MTB and road bike sizing. For example, my MTB has a 23" Eff TT on size medium 17.5" seat tube. For most road bikes a 23" eff tt woudl be size 23" ST and be XL or greater.
5. I do alot of my own wrenching. Is buying online / mail order a bad idea for a first road bike? Even if I get fit in a shop?