EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › New Skis/Bindings or Ski Trip??
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Skis/Bindings or Ski Trip??

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

Just curious....want other opinions on this decision.  I am trying to decide between purchasing a new pair of skis/bindings or using the money for a ski trip! 

 

Just as a reference...I have one set of skis that are a year old and was just given a new pair this summer as a reward for winning a bet (true story).  I'd like to buy a pair but am tempted to opt out of making said purchase until the 2011-12 season.  If I do opt out then I can use the money towards a ski trip (Jackson Hole, anyone?). 

 

It's quite a difficult decision and any input from like-minded people is appreciated!   

post #2 of 26

No contest, ski time wins over new gear!

post #3 of 26

I dunno, depends on your location.  Cali is a big place with lots of pretty good terrain too.  If you have regular access to good skiing and would use the new gear pretty often that makes the choice tougher.  Ski 30 days and I'd go with the new boards.  If you're only likel,y to ski a week this winter I'd go with the trip.   How well does your current set up match your skills and abilities? 

post #4 of 26

Wait - you have 2 pairs of essentially new skis, but aren't sure whether to buy more, or use the two pairs you have and go skiing?

 

Really?

post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post

Wait - you have 2 pairs of essentially new skis, but aren't sure whether to buy more, or use the two pairs you have and go skiing?

 

Really?



I'm reading that she hasn't bought the 2nd pair yet and is toying iwth the idea of a ski trip instead of pair number two.

post #6 of 26

She does have the 2nd pair of skis already.  (I am the loser of the aforementioned bet) 

 

The dilemma is to buy a (3rd set) dedicated Powder ski or not.

 

She skied 47 days last year.

post #7 of 26

Oh, and since my opinion is of utmost imprtance, I say do both!  Skip eating for a couple weeks, then buy the skis AND go on a trip!

post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiergirl777 View Post
was just given a new pair this summer as a reward for winning a bet (true story).  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

I'm reading that she hasn't bought the 2nd pair yet and is toying iwth the idea of a ski trip instead of pair number two.

 

2 pairs = done.

 

Go on the trip, and if there's real pow, then rent a great set of boards for the day(s).
 

post #9 of 26

Road trip!!!

post #10 of 26
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

I dunno, depends on your location.  Cali is a big place with lots of pretty good terrain too.  If you have regular access to good skiing and would use the new gear pretty often that makes the choice tougher.  Ski 30 days and I'd go with the new boards.  If you're only likel,y to ski a week this winter I'd go with the trip.   How well does your current set up match your skills and abilities? 

I skied 47 last season.....current set up matches my skills and abilities....however, the new set up would be a dedicated powder ski.  And YES....Cali is a big place with LOTS of good terrain! 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesj View Post

No contest, ski time wins over new gear!


True....I would ski on 20 year old skis.....if I had to!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post

Wait - you have 2 pairs of essentially new skis, but aren't sure whether to buy more, or use the two pairs you have and go skiing?

 

Really?


It HAS been a difficult decision.....really! 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post

Oh, and since my opinion is of utmost imprtance, I say do both!  Skip eating for a couple weeks, then buy the skis AND go on a trip!

 

If I skipped eating for a couple of weeks....sheesh! 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post



 

 

2 pairs = done.

 

Go on the trip, and if there's real pow, then rent a great set of boards for the day(s).
 


And good point...a day rental is $25 - $40 max....a lot less than purchasing. 

post #11 of 26



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiergirl777 View Post


 

current set up matches my skills and abilities....
 


 


 

 



Rental skis?

post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiergirl777 View Post

And good point...a day rental is $25 - $40 max....a lot less than purchasing. 


So many skis, so little time.......

post #13 of 26


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiergirl777 View Post

 


True....I would ski on 20 year old skis.....if I had to!

 

 

I skied on 30+ year old skis and 25 year old boots (owwwwch!) for five years so I could afford a half dozen lift tickets a year. You got new sticks. Do the road trip. Really.
 

post #14 of 26
Thread Starter 

Quote:

Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post



 



Rental skis?


It's always a possibility. 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post




So many skis, so little time.......

And so many places to take those skis to. 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrison Claystone View Post


 

 

I skied on 30+ year old skis and 25 year old boots (owwwwch!) for five years so I could afford a half dozen lift tickets a year. You got new sticks. Do the road trip. Really.
 

True!  If only lift tickets were $20 a day.....then we could do it all! 

 

post #15 of 26

I meant your existing skis are...rental skis. :D

post #16 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post

I meant your existing skis are...rental skis. :D


"I have one set of skis that are a year old and was just given a new pair this summer as a reward for winning a bet"

 

For the reading impaired - She has 2 pairs of skis and is contemplating either a third set or using the money instead for travel to more skiing and potentially RENTING powder skis if the need warrants.

post #17 of 26

Thanks for clearing that up for me snofun3.  The joke was WAY over your head.

post #18 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post

For the reading impaired - She has 2 pairs of skis and is contemplating either a third set or using the money instead for travel to more skiing and potentially RENTING powder skis if the need warrants.


snofun3.....my year old 4Frnt skis have commonly been referred to as "rental" skis by the Stockli loving people that I instruct with.  In fact the Stockli loving people have tried to return them to the rental shop several times as a joke...that is why FujativeOCR was referring to my skis as rental skis!  

 

post #19 of 26


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post

She does have the 2nd pair of skis already.  (I am the loser of the aforementioned bet) 

 

The dilemma is to buy a (3rd set) dedicated Powder ski or not.

 

She skied 47 days last year.


3rd set of pow skis, Mammoth season pass, done and done.

The Praxis skis are still on sale!!!

http://praxisskis.com/shop/buy-skis.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=6&category_id=1


Edited by liv2 ski - 7/11/10 at 8:48am
post #20 of 26

Mammoth is a long ways from home...

post #21 of 26


That is the smartest thing I have seen posted on here in a long time. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FujativeOCR View Post

Oh, and since my opinion is of utmost imprtance, I say do both!  Skip eating for a couple weeks, then buy the skis AND go on a trip!

post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiergirl777 View Post




snofun3.....my year old 4Frnt skis have commonly been referred to as "rental" skis by the Stockli loving people that I instruct with.  In fact the Stockli loving people have tried to return them to the rental shop several times as a joke...that is why FujativeOCR was referring to my skis as rental skis!  

 

They do have a point.... 
 

post #23 of 26

LOL

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ske-Bum View Post



They do have a point.... 
 

post #24 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ske-Bum View Post



They do have a point.... 
 


Seriously.  My 4Frnts are actually good skis.  Not at all in the race ski category.....but I am not technically a racer either. 

 

And thanks a lot FujativeOCR............you helped me pick them ou if my memory serves me correctly!!!
 

post #25 of 26

Here's another option......

take me along on your trip!

I get a ski trip and you get to use my skis.....

 

 

 

 

 

We'll get along juuuuuuust fine!

post #26 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

We'll get along juuuuuuust fine!


Very true! 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › New Skis/Bindings or Ski Trip??