New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Goofy or regular?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

I quick question to cyclists.  When you are coasting, do you predominately ride with your right or left peddle foot forward?

 

Do you think this coincides with other foot forward sports like waterskiing, snowboarding, skating etc.?

 

Thanks,

JF

post #2 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ster View Post

I quick question to cyclists.  When you are coasting, do you predominately ride with your right or left peddle foot forward?

 

Do you think this coincides with other foot forward sports like waterskiing, snowboarding, skating etc.?

 

Thanks,

JF


I use to be left foot forward but last year started doing track stands and wheelie drops right foot forward so I became pretty adaptable to both.

 

and yes I snowboard and water ski left foot forward.

post #3 of 20

Left foot, I am left footed. Is there a "right foot"  ???

post #4 of 20

I coast with my right foot forward.  When I used to waterski I also put my right foot forward.  However, when I attempt my kid's skateboard putting my left foot forward seems more natural.

post #5 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ster View Post

I quick question to cyclists.  When you are coasting, do you...

 

[and a special thanks goes out to Tom Hanks for his assist with this delivery  ]

 

There’s no Coasting! There’s no coasting in bicycling!

 


  

Hmm…I can quickly tell you that I skate board or water ski left foot forward [right hand dominate]…but the bike?

 

I’m supposing those times when I’m cycling alone or not purposefully spinning that the coasting foot forward is the left foot.  Perhaps this is a habit learned from those very first days on a bike with coaster brakes on the drive train side.  Today?  I’m really thinking hard about which foot is forward…and still not sure enough to bet the house on it.

 

However for those descents that have me spinning out of my 50x11 I can confidently say I lead with the right foot on the drive train side while in aero with both spindles level, feet flat and knees resting on TT.  And of course to confound everything I know for certain that for mtb descents my left foot is forward.

 

Otherwise my foot lead is dictated by the upcoming turn or by chance when “off pedal” running up to quickly on the lead wheel when trying to maintain a drafting position.  Only then would I notice which particular foot is at lead since it’s immediately under tension ready to power up and latch back on with that lead wheel.

 

FWIW 4ster; Betsy tells me I have two left feet…therefore…she always leads  

post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDenver View Post

Quote:

 

[and a special thanks goes out to Tom Hanks for his assist with this delivery  ]

 

There’s no Coasting! There’s no coasting in bicycling!

 


  

Hmm…I can quickly tell you that I skate board or water ski left foot forward [right hand dominate]…but the bike?

 

I’m supposing those times when I’m cycling alone or not purposefully spinning that the coasting foot forward is the left foot.  Perhaps this is a habit learned from those very first days on a bike with coaster brakes on the drive train side.  Today?  I’m really thinking hard about which foot is forward…and still not sure enough to bet the house on it.

 

However for those descents that have me spinning out of my 50x11 I can confidently say I lead with the right foot on the drive train side while in aero with both spindles level, feet flat and knees resting on TT.  And of course to confound everything I know for certain that for mtb descents my left foot is forward.

 

Otherwise my foot lead is dictated by the upcoming turn or by chance when “off pedal” running up to quickly on the lead wheel when trying to maintain a drafting position.  Only then would I notice which particular foot is at lead since it’s immediately under tension ready to power up and latch back on with that lead wheel.

 

FWIW 4ster; Betsy tells me I have two left feet…therefore…she always leads  


I think most left forwards people either are right handers or played basketball or soccer. In alot of ways the  plant foot ins those sport more resemble the power foot in cycling.

 

and BTW real men and women use a 53/11 

post #7 of 20

Neither

 

I'm an up and down coaster, which I'll gladly take at every opportunity.

 

And since many of my bike have around a 50-13 top (or lower) I get to enjoy it often.

 

So, one foot up and around every 15-20 seconds rotate through and leave the other up, repeat as required.

 

 

 

post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post

Neither

 

I'm an up and down coaster, which I'll gladly take at every opportunity.

 

And since many of my bike have around a 50-13 top (or lower) I get to enjoy it often.

 

So, one foot up and around every 15-20 seconds rotate through and leave the other up, repeat as required.

 

 

 

 

so what happens when you ride where it require more than strong lungs? ala off road?

post #9 of 20

When not dictated by a turn or obstacle, I definitely descend left foot forward when mtn biking... but for snowboarding and wakeboarding, I am goofy footed... I also kick with the right foot and am right-handed.  So to comment on the original post, I don't think it coincides with other 'foot forward' sports, I think it's just what feels more natural.

post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Perhaps this is a habit learned from those very first days on a bike with coaster brakes on the drive train side.

 

I hadn't thought of that, interesting. 

 

I have done a lot of foot forward sports in my life beginning on a skateboard when I was very young, & tons of SL waterskiing, snowboarding, wakeboarding & some surfing.  I have always been very left foot forward dominate.  Unlike many of my talented friends, I have a very difficult time riding switch on any of these toys.  Heck I even make a better left foot forward telemark turn & in the few years that I was a sailboarder I could tack & water start better when my left foot was leading.

 

Anyway I had never really paid much attention on the bike, but noticed the same dominance & wondered if others had noticed the same.

 

Thanks for thinking about it.

JF

post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 

Oh, and I should never have said coasting to the roadies, I should have said "balancing", "resting", or standing on the pedals .

 

 

Quote:
So to comment on the original post, I don't think it coincides with other 'foot forward' sports, I think it's just what feels more natural.

 

 

& tam, I used to own a Water Ski School, & there was occasionally someone like you who made it very difficult to figure out.  When confronted with that situation we would end up just using trial & error till the student figured out which they were more comfortable with.

Can you throw a ball well left handed?

 

Thanks,

JF

post #12 of 20

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post

 

....and BTW real men and women use a 53/11 

Alright Josh…equal opportunity smack! 

 

But I’ve got to triple U that line   and launch my take: 

 

Holy Sheldon Brown gear inch calculator…unless you’re a pro sprinter or a tri competitor out here grinding away alongside Chris Carmichael on his moped during a training interval…forget it.  Too tall gearing for any real ride value outside of mashing for an instant or two just to keep the 11t looking like it’s regularly used...and those who do so looking like a Fred.  And as an amateur if you are trying to spin out a 53x11 on any mountain grade out here…you’ve got a death wish that should be clearly inscribed on your RoadID.  Outside of those who get paid to do so there are very few that can sustain the watts necessary to properly advantage a 53x11…and there’s certainly no Boonen’s, Cav’s, Hushovd’s or Farrar’s on this snow forum   


And thanks 4ster for this thread today...everything else around here looked a bit stale this Friday until I read "coasting"...that fired me up

 

Cheers
 

post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post



 

so what happens when you ride where it require more than strong lungs? ala off road?



Missing my point.....I gear my bikes for all the climbs I have where I ride, on or off road matters not. If I am fortunate enough to have a nice down grade where my smallish top gears don't allow soft pedalling, I am VERY happy to freewheel

 

Unlike your attitude, nothing to prove here.....

post #14 of 20

I still have a scar on my right calf from being constantly rubbed by my cantilever brakes. That spot was always raw all summer long.

 

I try to be agnostic, but as Hans Rey calls it, the left foot is my "chocolate foot". I waterski right foot forward and try to board without being goofy or regular (I rent a few times a year and do it different each time).

post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDenver View Post

 

Alright Josh…equal opportunity smack! 

 

But I’ve got to triple U that line   and launch my take: 

 

Holy Sheldon Brown gear inch calculator…unless you’re a pro sprinter or a tri competitor out here grinding away alongside Chris Carmichael on his moped during a training interval…forget it.  Too tall gearing for any real ride value outside of mashing for an instant or two just to keep the 11t looking like it’s regularly used...and those who do so looking like a Fred.  And as an amateur if you are trying to spin out a 53x11 on any mountain grade out here…you’ve got a death wish that should be clearly inscribed on your RoadID.  Outside of those who get paid to do so there are very few that can sustain the watts necessary to properly advantage a 53x11…and there’s certainly no Boonen’s, Cav’s, Hushovd’s or Farrar’s on this snow forum   


And thanks 4ster for this thread today...everything else around here looked a bit stale this Friday until I read "coasting"...that fired me up

 

Cheers
 

 

 

Amatuer here myself but aspire to be a better amatuer and actually do have a road ID. 

 

Id take Cav of that list as he actually does not sprint in 53/11 more like 53/13 although I'm sure he uses the big gear going downhill. To be fair I most like have a lower gear than you as well as my lowest is 39/28 so maybe I am actually less man than you :). and yes I am a masher but I am also a spinner it really depends on the effort.

 

ITs only for decending but after switching to it decents no longer interupted my flow, and I can soft pedal or hard pedal and keep my speeds higher. Alot of road guys are scared to lean a bike over and I can put tons of time on people decending. So yeah if not racin than no point but for me wide gear ratio spread makes total sense for super steep and some times long climbs.

 

I just never got super close road gearing, made no sense to me so I said F,IT and I got the widest gear ratios I could get cadence be damned. 

 


 

post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post





Missing my point.....I gear my bikes for all the climbs I have where I ride, on or off road matters not. If I am fortunate enough to have a nice down grade where my smallish top gears don't allow soft pedalling, I am VERY happy to freewheel

 

Unlike your attitude, nothing to prove here.....

 

eh if you dont think I am kinda of joking than its lost on you, I pretty much have nothing to prove unless I am racing then its just about bettering myself.
 

post #17 of 20

No.  I'm the real amateur.  I ride my Rally GP, with whatever gears it came with.  First gear is low enough for me on any uphill that won't have the bike tipping over backwards. I go slow on the downgrades so I don't bust a rim.  Occasionally I borrow a mountain bike (a cheap one).  2nd or 3rd works better going up that 1st, I need to train on spinning that low gear instead of mashing.  I'm a better masher than spinner.  I still go slow on the downgrades so I don't bust a rim.  On the road, I have never found a bike that has a high enough top gear to avoid free wheeling with a tailwind or on a downgrade.

 

I never gave it much thought, but from memory I think I ride with one leg up and one leg down, left or right depending on what corner I just made or what corner is coming up (so as not to hit the pedal on the ground).  Upper leg is slightly more forward than lower leg (ready to power stroke).

post #18 of 20
Thread Starter 

I just got back from a quick road ride.  Not much coasting but for the short intervals that I did it was more one foot up, one foot down with no real preference.  One of my regular road rides has a long downhill with coasting speeds sustained at 40mph, which is as fast as I need to go.  I am usually left foot forward.

JF

post #19 of 20

Naturally goofy foot snowboarding, skateboarding and surfing.  Usually try to coast evenly to stay balanced muscle-wise on a bike (ie, 50% of the time with one foot forward, then switch off the next time), but I'm naturally goofy-foot there, too, in terms of trackstands and my "chocolate" foot for low-speed trials-type stuff.  But, I seem to get a better pump left foot forward on a bike. 

 

I think there's a good correlation with other sideways stance sports.  One interesting thing though is that this is not always true:  there are very good skaters and snowboarders who are goofy for one and regular for another; same for surfing, etc. 

post #20 of 20


Horrible throwing left handed, same goes for kicking with my left... however when belaying (self-belay or belaying someone else) I am left handed (brake hand is my left).  So yeah, I guess I don't really have a dominant side.

 

Quote:
View Post

& tam, I used to own a Water Ski School, & there was occasionally someone like you who made it very difficult to figure out.  When confronted with that situation we would end up just using trial & error till the student figured out which they were more comfortable with.

Can you throw a ball well left handed?

 

Thanks,

JF

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cycling