EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Looking for Colorado one-ski quiver
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for Colorado one-ski quiver

Poll Results: Suggested waist width?

 
  • 18% (3)
    80-85
  • 31% (5)
    85-90
  • 6% (1)
    90-95
  • 43% (7)
    95-100
16 Total Votes  
post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

 

Im a CU Boulder student looking to buy my own skis and can only afford a do-it-all ski, not multiple skis.  Im 6’1’’, 160 lbs, level 6 or 7 skier who wants to be able to carve it up on the frontside groomers, yet also be able to chase powder and occasionally ski out of bounds.  I will not be in the park at all really and will only ski moguls if necessary, which may be a lot as my skill progresses.  I will be skiing almost exclusively in CO.

 

I have only skied 65-75mm waisted skis on blue and black groomers and crud and some light pow in the trees.  I know I want something wider, especially if I will be on powder.  Ive been looking at skis anywhere from 80-100mm, but feel that anything 90+ will not give me the frontside performance I want, but I could be wrong.  I foresee myself 70 frontside/30 backside & powder.  I will not be able to readily demo skis, so Im looking for all the input I can get.  Also looking suggestions for length, 175?

 

 

Ive been looking at the following:

 

Blizzard Magnum 8.7 (128-87-113)

Line Prophet 90 (125-90-113)

Salomon Lord (128-87-115)

Volkl Unlimited AC30 (124-80-107) or AC50 (128-85-112)

BD Havoc (121-88-113) or Kilowatt (125-95-113)

K2 Xplorer (128-84-112)

 

 

Im leaning towards the Blizzards but am open to any input or other suggestions. Thanks!


Edited by tdeems - 6/18/10 at 12:50pm
post #2 of 21

The Blizzard's in a 175 would be fine. Best guy I know skis the 181 all the time.

post #3 of 21

Magnum_8.1_Ti_IQ-MAX.pngBlizzard Magnum 8.1 MAX, 172cm


Edited by Rossi Smash - 6/18/10 at 2:59pm
post #4 of 21

Salomon Shogun, 182 right for you

post #5 of 21

I would recommend the Fischer Watea 84 in a 176. This is my all around ski for CO. It is forgiving and fun with a medium to soft flex. It skis like a light GS ski on groomers but is very quick to pivot in trees and bumps. It's width is adequate for the majority of CO front range powder days. I'm 5'11" and 165lbs. My other skis include 181cm Icelantic Nomads for those rare front range deep powder days and a variety of race specific skis. The Wateas should be fine for your level and you will shouldn't get bored with them as you progress.

post #6 of 21

Since you have one pair of icelantics, why not consider their Pilgrim? It's a great all mountain ski, moderate flex, but torsionally stiff, its great in the bumps, decent float and a great ripper. Very easy to ski, fun, quick, great feedback. Not overly damp. good energy.

 

127-90-155, 19 r in a 179. http://www.icelanticboards.com/#/skis/detail/pilgrim

 

post #7 of 21

I'd avoid going over 90, simply because you seem to want to get your carving skills down, and IME, fatter skis can be easily carved if you already know how to carve well, not so easy if you're still acquiring skill sets. And they can breed bad habits when you start to compensate for the time it takes to get from edge to edge, the leverage differences, on groomed. Get something in the mid 80's, when you can have two skis, you can keep these for everyday, and add something really fat.

 

IMO the 174 cm 8.7's will be a bit much for your level, size, and mission. Would second rcahill's idea of the Watea 84, might also think about the Dynastar Sultan 85, or this season's Blizzard Cronus, which is a great ski for a lighter skier who wants to handle all conditions but still carve various turn shapes. All three can be had at great prices right now. 

post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

Since you have one pair of icelantics, why not consider their Pilgrim? It's a great all mountain ski, moderate flex, but torsionally stiff, its great in the bumps, decent float and a great ripper. Very easy to ski, fun, quick, great feedback. Not overly damp. good energy.

 

127-90-155, 19 r in a 179. http://www.icelanticboards.com/#/skis/detail/pilgrim

 

 

Tail width is 115.

 

Finn / anyone else -- Have you also ever skied the Line Prophet?  It has similar dimensions to the Pilgrim: 

     Pilgrim = 127-90-115 (19 @ 179) 

     Prophet = 125-90-113 (17.9 @ 179)

 

How do they compare in actual skiing?



 

post #9 of 21

Thanks for the correction, that would be one funky ski!

 

LP is stiffer than the Pilgrim, the Pilgrim has a softer flexing tip, which makes it a nice bump and piled ski.  Graphics: love em or hate em, I love em'. Made in USA, CO. 

 

 But here's a great example of published TR's (other thread) where the dims posted above don't add up. the LP should theoretically have a longer sidecut radius, or the Pilgrims are incorrect.  Either one is a great ski, of course I would like to see you buy the icelantics.... .  (Whiteroom here is an Icelanitc dealer  www.skiershop.com )  If you are interested and having difficulties finding them, PM me

post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

Graphics: love em or hate em, I love em'.


I hate 'em. ;-)

 

 

OP:  I'm going to make the same suggestion I always make to cash-strapped buyers who think they're limited to a single pair of skis.  Two used or new-old-stock pairs are almost always a better bet.  Or if you're going for a single pair, go cheap now and save to buy more specialized skis later.

 

That said, Evogear Outlet is having a 20% off sale right now.

 

K2 Extremes (i.e., Public Enemy, 85mm waist) in 174 or 179 for $265 after discount.

 

Or used Scott Missions (89mm waist) in 178 for $285 after discount, with bindings.

 

I'm sure there are other good choices.

post #11 of 21

Finn -- I'll add Pilgrims to my list.  I hadn't thought of them, but after I saw your post I read some reviews and they sound good for my needs.  The escargot (conch shell?) graphics don't bother me.  I think you're right re the TRs for the Pilgrim and the Prophet -- I quoted accurately from the respective websites, but one of those TRs can't be correct.   

post #12 of 21


Did you see this coming years TS's?  I love the Nomad sheets the best. The Oracle (woman's ski) is very cool as well.  Good pick on the mission's, 285 w/bindings!  Crazy
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDad View Post


I hate 'em. ;-)

 

 

OP:  I'm going to make the same suggestion I always make to cash-strapped buyers who think they're limited to a single pair of skis.  Two used or new-old-stock pairs are almost always a better bet.  Or if you're going for a single pair, go cheap now and save to buy more specialized skis later.

 

That said, Evogear Outlet is having a 20% off sale right now.

 

K2 Extremes (i.e., Public Enemy, 85mm waist) in 174 or 179 for $265 after discount.

 

Or used Scott Missions (89mm waist) in 178 for $285 after discount, with bindings.

 

I'm sure there are other good choices.




Cool, you may still be able to score some of last years at very good deals. PM me if you can't locate through a dealer if interested.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimski View Post

Finn -- I'll add Pilgrims to my list.  I hadn't thought of them, but after I saw your post I read some reviews and they sound good for my needs.  The escargot (conch shell?) graphics don't bother me.  I think you're right re the TRs for the Pilgrim and the Prophet -- I quoted accurately from the respective websites, but one of those TRs can't be correct.   

post #13 of 21

Finn -- Thanks.  They're out there on-line.  Best price I've seen them for is $359 flat.  I'm a little reluctant to buy them before trying them at least once on hardpack Eastern snow -- for Western snow there's probably less of a risk that I wouldn't like them.   

post #14 of 21

If the use is primarilly hardpack, I wouldn't recommend them. For that, I would say the Kastle 78 or 88, you won't find a better ski.

post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

If the use is primarilly hardpack, I wouldn't recommend them. For that, I would say the Kastle 78 or 88, you won't find a better ski.



No, but you can find some almost as good for a lot less money......

post #16 of 21

yup you can, lots of them.  Blizz 76, 81 87, Ac30, head IM78, Sultan's, watea'sand the list goes on and on and on.  BUT a little searching and luck you might find the kastles 78's at a really good price used like I did.  But obviously some people do have the money and do appreciate the quality of them or they wouldn't have sold so well last season. there's nothing wrong with spending good money for a good pair of skis.

post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finndog View Post

yup you can, lots of them.  Blizz 76, 81 87, Ac30, head IM78, Sultan's, watea'sand the list goes on and on and on.  BUT a little searching and luck you might find the kastles 78's at a really good price used like I did.  But obviously some people do have the money and do appreciate the quality of them or they wouldn't have sold so well last season. there's nothing wrong with spending good money for a good pair of skis.



There's good money......and then there is stupid money. You decide which........

post #18 of 21

Hi, I'm new here (I've been lurking for about 5 years though)

I've skied the MX 88 and can attest that they're indeed superior carving/all mountain skis..I skied in Shawnee mountain in PA that day (700' vert) and even though the ski LOVED medium to long radius turns and I quickly ran out of room I still had the best few runs on skis ever....While there are skis that are almost as good and half the price, if you have the money and you're passionate about skiing you should definitely get them..

 

BTW I have a very close friend who has a KASTLE MX88 in a 178 on ebay for 500 bucks, I saw them and they are in almost new condition (bindings removed). I hope it's OK if on my first post I'm pitching a sale..lol

post #19 of 21

Skiermo1-  good 1st post and don't be a lurker..... 

post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi Smash View Post





There's good money......and then there is stupid money. You decide which........



the major ski companies make great skis. that Kaestle makes a stand out ski in terms of performance or construction quality is highly unlikely. different skis have different personalities and one will suit, or you will adapt.

 

Dynastar, Rossignol, Salomon

Stockli, Volkl, Blizzard, Fischer

 

all good skis with models in the same area as the Kaestle 78 and 88 and pricing around 50% new is out there. (Stocklis probably like Kaestle in terms of not many discounted pairs around)

post #21 of 21

Thanks,

My lurking days are officially over, It's time for me to share my extensive skiing knowledge with the world I'm actually contemplating becoming a supporter..(although that means no new ski goggles for me)

 

I ski the head IM78 which I got for $250 and I cannot say the Kastles offer 100% better performance but it's definitely a much better ski and I was actually thinking of buying them but decided on spending the extra money on getting properly fitted boots, I actually have an appointment with Greg @ heino's ski shop in NJ..I'm incredibly anxious to get my first pair of (hopefully) pain free boots, I have had 4 pairs of boots in various sizes (the largest one was 3 sizes too large for me) Sorry for going a little OT here.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Looking for Colorado one-ski quiver